Brett Favre's dilemma

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most QB's of Brett Favre's stature (future HOF'er) get to go out on top, or at least, riding a wave of respectability.

Look at Elway in Denver. Montana in SF and somewhat in KC. Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, and others.

There have been others, however, who were HOF players, but who did not go out riding that wave.

Bart Starr comes to mind. Marino. Stabler.

Yet, these players were still repected and weren't torn down in the public eye, especially by the FANS of their respective teams.

Did anyone really call for Bart Starr's head at the end of his career, or did they realize that he was an aging superstar on a bad team? Would you say Marino lost his skills and ability to play the game, or was it that Miami just couldn't put it together a team to get to the SB, and he was too old to take the punishment anymore?

The point is that whether these HOF stars in the NFL had a talented team arround them in their waning years, or if they did not--they at least got the respect that they deserved from the fans of their individual teams, and from NFL fans, in general.

Now Favre, it can be agreed upon, does not have the talent surrounding him in his golden years in the NFL that he had in the beginning of his career, yet I see many critics such as Dr. Z and others in the media relishing in the chance to try and tear this icon from GB down from his much earned lofty perch in the NFL? Why, you may ask?

I do not have the answer, and it is a question that has much perplexed me as of late. Professional jealousy is the only answer I can come up with. Dr. Z's father must have been a Packer fan, and he is just rebelling in kind--like any rebellious adolescent would. Yes, that must be it!

But the thing that perplexes me even more is that this kind of thinking seems to exist amonst the Packer faithful, and yes, even on this very forum. And that is the kind of treasonous lack of respect for a genuine, sports icon-a certified ahero in GB, or who should be. The man who brought the Title back to Title-town. Can anyone here explain why a Packer fan, any fan, would feel this way towards their HOF QB?

For that is something that I will never understand.

Reaction score
I don't think anyone on this forum is waiting to push Favre out the door. With that said, I think people realize that at 37, Favre isn't the same player he was at 28 or 29. Simply put, he can't win games by himself anymore. He needs some help.

I think Pack fans are just saying that Favre needs to adjust his agressive style, because that style won't win games with this caliber of talent. It did in the past, and it could if again if we had the talent. Unfortunately we don't.

Anyone who says Favre is done, is in it for the money, or should have retired because the Pack would be better off are not really informed of all the facts, IMO.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude....Aikman's latter teams were pretty poor...and he was getting his ***-kicked, literally, every Sunday. Not what I would call a wave of respectability.

OP
OP
T

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone saying Aikman's lost his skills, or that he needs to make better "decisions".

It was more like, he better retire before he can't spell his name anymore.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
I don't recall anyone saying Aikman's lost his skills, or that he needs to make better "decisions".

I think you're making a pretty fine distinction there. Aikman, Marino, and others have been criticized in their later years, when they were not playing well anymore. There just wasn't nearly as much of it as there is with Favre, and the reason is simple: there was no Internet then.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the only dilemma brett favre has is where to invest his money. brett is just fine - the guy lives for the game & will be in the HOF. something tells me he's not sitting around worrying about what 4packgirl thinks of him.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
TomAllen said:

I think you're making a pretty fine distinction there. Aikman, Marino, and others have been criticized in their later years, when they were not playing well anymore. There just wasn't nearly as much of it as there is with Favre, and the reason is simple: there was no Internet then.

I agree the internet is a big part of it.
Also there was hardly any sports programming on either TV or radio as there is today. ESPN was in it's infancy in the 80's and there were virtually no sports talk shows on radio like there is today.
All these talking heads need something to talk about and Brett Favre having been the face of the NFL for so many years draws alot of attention for these guys nationwide.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if i saw people bashing Favre as much as they voiced their opinion of what is best for the GB Packers. Most of the discussion took place during the indecision era, prior to BF making his choice to come back. I think we just saw that people weren't looking at depleting the future of the Pack waiting on one man's decision. Some look at it as the GB packers rather than the Favre Packers. I think they're the same team personally and I fully respect BF and his time allowance to make that decision. He has earned it. I also feel that the Pack gave him a time frame in which to make his decision, he did not keep anyone hanging out there. Sure there were opportunities in which the Pack would have considered in FA but could not make a move upon hearing Bretts choice but, the Pack themselves gave him that much time to pull the trigger.

Latest posts