Brett favre number not to be retired this year

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Guy got to play almost 2 decades in the NFL doing what he loved to do and he's financially secure for life still doing whatever he wants. I seriously doubt he's going to do much but chuckle at any boo birds. The vast majority of Packer fans are to intelligent and too classy to act in such a manner, there will always be the 10% idiot crowd.

there we go again !!! FFS if fans don`t want to welcome him back with open arms, they don`t have to and shouldn`t have to put up with this **** !!!. It just makes me hate the ****** more :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be bitter and booing for a long time, as if his number will be retired more than once? I have witnessed every home game since 1988 in section 121. I haven't missed a game since I was 5, and to this day I've booed twice (not including poor calls by referees), both games Favre played as a Viking. You don't have to be a crotchety old man to feel like Favre disrespected the greatest franchise in professional sports. Again, I'm 30 and about as far from crotchety as you can get.

Moreover, why do you care what I do from the bleachers? Are you going to be there when his number is retired? If you aren't, I don't wanna hear about it.
Let me ask you this: (And any other fans who think they could be at Lambeau if/when BrINT Fart's number is retired.)

Do you see yourself still booing him if the Packers win another SB before the number 4 retirement?
Do you think another SB win would reduce some of the pain of that knife-in-the-back?

And you boo him when he comes out. Would you stick around for the ceremony or leave your seat for a while?

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He went to a rival much hated team and it was the way he did it.
If he had stuck with the Jets there wouldn't have been a problem.
And the Packers did want him, sorta, I think.
When he changed his mind and wanted to be back, didn't the Pack tell him, "OK, but we're going to start Aaron instead and if you still want to be on the team, fine by us."
The whole thing is a mess and I don't think it's as cut and dry as you seem to make it be.

The Jets cut him, so he was free to go anywhere, (he retired and the jets cut him and then unretired and went to the vikings). I can understand being upset the way he got cut from the jets but Minnesota was a QB away from being a super bowl contender that year so it made sense for him to go there. he knew the OC, it was a good fit. So I can't be all that upset he went to a team that had a good chance at winning that year.

The packers also told him he could compete for the job, (and at that time he would have gotten it), then they were going to make him a back up(which would have done Rodgers no good in developing), Then they didn't want him there at all. But were too afraid to cut him, or even trade him within the division.

The whole thing is pretty simple and not that complicated. The packers decided to move on without him, he didn't handle it the best way possible but I think I would have had a hard time dealing with that too considering the team just went to the NFC championship game. It wasn't like they were bottom feeders. In the end he just wanted to win another super bowl and it just happened to be the Vikings who needed a QB and were a really good team with a window to go all the way.

The NFL is a business, the owners don't have to show any loyalty to the players so why are the players held to a different standard? Favre doesn't owe the packers anything, and the packers don't owe Favre anything. It is just time to let it go, and get over it. The packers won a super bowl without him, and that was the best way to move on from all this. But time does heal all wounds and this is no different.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 pages and 229 posts!
I don't think so much buzz has ever been generated over the possibility of an ex player getting booed or not.

Man, when Fart played for us, it was exciting. And there was so much hope because he was our only one.
I remember in his final Packers playoff, all the excitement he caused.
During the weekend after the pre-Giants game (Forgot what team it was) I went to a dance and one of the musicians was wearing a Favre jersey which I had never seen her do before. She called out, "Brett Favre is a god!" Teasing her I yelled back, "A dog?" unknowing how right I was with that at the time. (Maybe I should have yelled back, "A goat?")
Hindsight is 20/20 and looking back I just don't get it how we could have had so much faith in him when he let us down time and time again. Sure, he was great and he was all we had. But IMO his failures overshadow his accomplishments. He could have been so much better if he had taken the game more seriously and would have worked harder at making more accurate passes.
Thankfully we have moved on from him and have an even better QB behind center and can literally thread a needle with the ball from 40 yards away with no INT unlike his predecessor who just chucked it up there and we would hope that it wouldn't be an INT.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole thing is pretty simple and not that complicated.

The NFL is a business, the owners don't have to show any loyalty to the players so why are the players held to a different standard?
Maybe for you it's simple.
Even though I appreciate your reply, how am I supposed to see it's that simple after that explanation?
This is a very different situation than other ones.
Usually a player makes a clean break when he switches teams without all the drama there was in this case.

The owners here are passionate fans instead of some ****** gazailonare (ie: Jerry Jones.) and Packers fans, owners or not, are the most loyal and dedicated fans in the NFL.
Donald Driver did it right even though he wasn't treated right towards the end of his Packers career.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we don't always get what we want now do we? No matter if murphy wants it done soon, Ol' number 4 may not want the boo wagon train released on him. I can 100% say that the booing will be most noticeable if he gets this done soon. Farve needs to just eat his humble pie if he decides to come to GB and get his number retired. He deserves to have it retired indeed, but he also needs to take his medicine along with that.

Uhhmmm...i was just answering your question. A simple, "thanks for the info" would have been sufficient...

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me ask you this: (And any other fans who think they could be at Lambeau if/when BrINT Fart's number is retired.)

Do you see yourself still booing him if the Packers win another SB before the number 4 retirement?
Do you think another SB win would reduce some of the pain of that knife-in-the-back?

And you boo him when he comes out. Would you stick around for the ceremony or leave your seat for a while?
I'll boo him forever and that's my perogative. I wouldn't leave my seat. It would greatly reduce the amount of time I could boo.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the drama wasn't necessary, but both sides were to blame, there wouldn't be much to talk about if the packers simply cut him and be done with it(or if Favre just retired but he wasn't ready). I know they would have liked to get something in return because at the time Favre was still a good QB and had value. It was a tough spot to be in, (granted this is hindsight) but for me, I still think the packers should have traded him to the Vikings and gotten a huge return in draft picks. It was dragged out way too long, and I think the packers tried too hard to make both parties happy instead of just moving on, like ripping a bandaid off.

While the owner is the tax payers, they don't make the football decisions.
Donald Driver might have done it right but no one else wanted him to play and quite frankly he was done physically from playing at a high enough level. Favre was not done(as you saw from the year with the jets and especially his first year with the vikings) in my opinion two different scenarios. While it would have been nice for Favre to retire as a packer, the business end of football really doesn't support that anymore.

the packers made a choice to move on without him, so it shouldn't matter where he ended up playing and I think fans put too much faith/hope in players sticking with one team.

His number will be retired, and I just hope people can get over it, and move on and remember the good times and how lucky the packers have been with 2 potential hall of fame QBs.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Uhhmmm...i was just answering your question. A simple, "thanks for the info" would have been sufficient...
and HE was just expressing HIS feelings on the ****ing subject. This is just getting ridiculous now :mad:

Apologies to you personally for my rant !

Last edited by a moderator:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the drama wasn't necessary, but both sides were to blame, there wouldn't be much to talk about if the packers simply cut him and be done with it(or if Favre just retired but he wasn't ready). I know they would have liked to get something in return because at the time Favre was still a good QB and had value. It was a tough spot to be in, (granted this is hindsight) but for me, I still think the packers should have traded him to the Vikings and gotten a huge return in draft picks. It was dragged out way too long, and I think the packers tried too hard to make both parties happy instead of just moving on, like ripping a bandaid off.

Donald Driver might have done it right but no one else wanted him to play and quite frankly he was done physically from playing at a high enough level. Favre was not done(as you saw from the year with the jets and especially his first year with the vikings) in my opinion two different scenarios. While it would have been nice for Favre to retire as a packer, the business end of football really doesn't support that anymore.

the packers made a choice to move on without him, so it shouldn't matter where he ended up playing and I think fans put too much faith/hope in players sticking with one team.

His number will be retired, and I just hope people can get over it, and move on and remember the good times and how lucky the packers have been with 2 potential hall of fame QBs.
Well said. Won't cut it with the haters.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said , and I'd like to point out, the tax payers don't own the Packers, and the people who bought the souvenir ( although worthless) stock certificates don't own the packers. If the Packers are ever liquidated, sold dissolved etc. the proceeds go to a local American Legion Post. BTW 90% of those souvenir stock certificates would never have been sold if Favre had not come along, and the citizens of Brown County would not have ponied up the funds to remodel Lambeau

His number will be retired, and I just hope people can get over it, and move on and remember the good times and how lucky the packers have been with 2 potential hall of fame QBs.[/QUOTE

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said , and I'd like to point out, the tax payers don't own the Packers, and the people who bought the souvenir ( although worthless) stock certificates don't own the packers. If the Packers are ever liquidated, sold dissolved etc. the proceeds go to a local American Legion Post. BTW 90% of those souvenir stock certificates would never have been sold if Favre had not come along, and the citizens of Brown County would not have ponied up the funds to remodel Lambeau
wolf*

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron wolf said his biggest short coming was failing to put better weapons around Favre. (I would say it was his puzzling decision to make Sherman both HC and GM)

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to hear that Brett may come up for a game this year.

from jsonline:

Favre visit: Former Packers quarterback Brett Favre might attend a game at Lambeau Field this season, but it won't be to retire his number.

It appears Favre and the Packers are easing into his return, given some of the hard feelings many fans still have about Favre's exit from Green Bay. Murphy wants the number retirement to happen, but he said Favre might just visit first.

It would seem logical if it were in conjunction with alumni day so that there would be other former Packers around to help ease the potential booing from fans who haven't forgiven him. Murphy thinks there won't be a problem no matter when Favre shows up.

Wish I could be there, but I'm saving my money for the NFC Championship game.

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HI Guys,

I registered here a while ago but never got around to posting. I contribute time to time on totalpackers.com, mostly on this issue, but certainly others as well
Count me amongst those who are vehemently against reconciliation. Ultimately, Favre apologists are talking about someone who did everything in his power to make the Vikigns Super Bowl Champions and did his best to sabotage the McCarthy Rodgers era. Indeed, who do you think he wanted to win Super Bowl XLV.
I am resigned to the fact that this will happen eventually, but I am also confident that some contingent of the legions of fans like who never betrayed our colors will make themselves known by booing or jeering and brining posters that denounce this man as the traitor that he is.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
W
HI Guys,

I registered here a while ago but never got around to posting. I contribute time to time on totalpackers.com, mostly on this issue, but certainly others as well
Count me amongst those who are vehemently against reconciliation. Ultimately, Favre apologists are talking about someone who did everything in his power to make the Vikigns Super Bowl Champions and did his best to sabotage the McCarthy Rodgers era. Indeed, who do you think he wanted to win Super Bowl XLV.
I am resigned to the fact that this will happen eventually, but I am also confident that some contingent of the legions of fans like who never betrayed our colors will make themselves known by booing or jeering and brining posters that denounce this man as the traitor that he is.
well I hope to god he did everything to win a Super Bowl for the ViQueens, that was kind of his job as their QB...

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
W

well I hope to god he did everything to win a Super Bowl for the ViQueens, that was kind of his job as their QB...

That makes you a turncoat. If I had my way, you would relinquish your Green and Gold colors, one way or another. After all, do you hope, with all your might, that Colin Kapernick beats us, because it is his job?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That makes you a turncoat. If I had my way, you would relinquish your Green and Gold colors, one way or another. After all, do you hope, with all your might, that Colin Kapernick beats us, because it is his job?
AK--Another one. I just don't follow the logic.

Wolf--I can't speak for AK. However, I can tell you that I was pulling for GB over Minnesota whenever Favre was on the field in Purple and Yellow. No turncoat. It was Favre's job as QB for the Vikings to win games.

As to the Kapernick comment, why would any Packer fan pull for him or any other opposing QB?

Long weekend?