Brett favre number not to be retired this year

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do I think it's too soon? Not really. Make no mistake - I took Thompson's side and was totally ready to move on after 2007, but ... at this point, it's almost petty to take any sides. Either way, I'm not shocked that Favre is nervous about getting booed. Hey - he made his bed with a lot of things and he's still sleeping in it, evidently. Whatever. We've got Aaron Rodgers. So, that being said, Favre has no bearing on anything going on now. Therefore, I won't boo him. He's no harm.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really excited to see how the reactions will be when the day comes and they retire his number. I've mixed feelings about it but in 2016, after nearly ten years, it might be time to get over it. For all sides, fans, Packers organization and Favre.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Not just yet ....... Ol' #4 still seems to pop his face into the media stream every so often, media folks are still asking questions to him about the feeling towards the packers and they ask him about Arod. Once he does not show his face for a while, the feelings people harbor will subside and that will be the time to bring him back to GB for a ceremony...... I would say 3-4 years from now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not just yet ....... Ol' #4 still seems to pop his face into the media stream every so often, media folks are still asking questions to him about the feeling towards the packers and they ask him about Arod. Once he does not show his face for a while, the feelings people harbor will subside and that will be the time to bring him back to GB for a ceremony...... I would say 3-4 years from now.

Well, Murphy has said on several occasions that the Packers would like to retire his number before he will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which will happen in 2016.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He’s earned every boo he will receive and more. He doesn’t even have the sense or class to apologize for sh!tting on the franchise that made him rich and famous.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s earned every boo he will receive and more. He doesn’t even have the sense or class to apologize for sh!tting on the franchise that made him rich and famous.

Overall, I agree. He absolutely should apologize to Mark, Ted, Mike, and Aaron for being such a disruptive dunce. At the same time, at some point, we all do have to sorta move on. But, is he still on my dartboard? Yes.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Overall, I agree. He absolutely should apologize to Mark, Ted, Mike, and Aaron for being such a disruptive dunce.
And to the rest of the team at the time and most importantly to Packers fans.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He does a season of pr and pretends to be somewhat humble, he can win over some of the people who haven't forgiven him. He could use some humble pie

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most people's problem lies more with the fact that he played for the Vikings, than the problem of the stunt he pulled during training camp of 2008 - that was what I had a problem with. I'm from Illinois - him playing for the Vikings - I could have cared less about that. Had it been the Bears, that would have been different. But Packer fans from western Wisconsin very likely hate the Vikings a bit more than they hate the Bears, based on their geographical location. He played for two other teams after he left. Had those teams been the Saints and the Falcons (as an example) - I don't think being booed would be a concern at all. The Vikings have a LOT to do with all this.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would never boo the guy, but there will be a significant number of fans who will. Boos are one thing, but a quiet stadium would be just as embarrassing for a HOFer. And I will be one of the fans who will sit on my hands if they retire his number any time in the next 20 years. After 20 years, there will be very few of us left who care.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Went to my first Packers game at age 7 ... 48 years ago. I've witnessed a lot of good and bad football at Lambeau Field. I've met a lot of good longtime fans, a good number of really fine players over the years; and a good number of a-hole fans and a-hole players over the years.

in my book, Brett was an a-hole as a person. However, there is no denying that doesn't matter if you're a fan of the game and not the player. I never idolized pro athletes so, I've never had a blistering hatred of the guy...even when he was pulling his horse crap. Just didn't care.

So, understand that I just want the number retired solely because I'm sick of the year in and year out bickering in the forums and press. Just f'n do it - like tearing off athletic tape from a hairy ankle...do it fast and be done with the ensuing agony in the short term. My world will keep spinning on its axis...I'm pretty sure everyone's sun will rise the next morning.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I can feel OK about retiring his number is when the Packers win another SB with Air-Run at the helm.
Or else let the Jets and the Vikes retire his number first and then maybe the Packers will do it.

Ted should really leave it up to the owners if/when they want to retire it since they gave to the organization.

L7Panda

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, if he had just stayed with us (the Jets) for 2-3 years and then retired, would you all feel the same or less animosity towards him?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking, if he had just stayed with us (the Jets) for 2-3 years and then retired, would you all feel the same or less animosity towards him?

90% less animosity towards him. the waffling was annoying as well as how he treated aaron but I could get past all of that

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
he did retire from the jets...told the world he was done..told his daughter and friends it was for real this time.

Then chilly picked him up at the airport

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Went to my first Packers game at age 7 ... 48 years ago. I've witnessed a lot of good and bad football at Lambeau Field. I've met a lot of good longtime fans, a good number of really fine players over the years; and a good number of a-hole fans and a-hole players over the years.

in my book, Brett was an a-hole as a person. However, there is no denying that doesn't matter if you're a fan of the game and not the player. I never idolized pro athletes so, I've never had a blistering hatred of the guy...even when he was pulling his horse crap. Just didn't care.

So, understand that I just want the number retired solely because I'm sick of the year in and year out bickering in the forums and press. Just f'n do it - like tearing off athletic tape from a hairy ankle...do it fast and be done with the ensuing agony in the short term. My world will keep spinning on its axis...I'm pretty sure everyone's sun will rise the next morning.

I'm 41 and my first game in person was in 1982. I definitely saw some horrible teams, too, especially in the late 80's. Most people who give me grief, say things like, "They sucked for almost 30 years until he got there, you should be grateful", etc. All of the good and great things he did - I'm beyond incredibly grateful for. I've stated here before, that Holmgren leaving, was the catalyst for the "bad Favre", in terms of reckless sandlot water balloons getting tossed in the air when the season was on the line. I can't fault Favre for Holmgren leaving town.

But the fact is, we lived and died with the guy. The trend was inescapable. 2007: 13-3 and sandlot junk ruins it. 2009 with the Vikings - he has his best season like, EVER, and then (of course) his sandlot junk ruined it. This wasn't going to end. It was simply Favre's fate. His ego, is why he earned his way onto the poop list - a place that ****ey, Zorn, Ferragamo, Wright (god, did he suck), Fusina, Majkowski, Kiel, Dilweg, or Tomzcak never landed. Most of those guys were terrible - ****ey and Majkowski are the only two of all those worth talking about. So, that's how I see it. Yes - Favre did great things here, but he also made himself very unlikeable in several ways. I'd rather have a beer with Majkowski - I'll say that right now.

L7Panda

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he did retire from the jets...told the world he was done..told his daughter and friends it was for real this time.

Then chilly picked him up at the airport

Well yeah, I know he did, but most of us expected it. I'd say 80-90% of Jets fans realized it was a one-year rental. Very few dislike him for what he did here. We were the best team in the AFC at 8-3 until he got injured, but it was still better rolling with him for the final 5 games and missing the playoffs than it would have been with Kellen Clemens, who never amounted to anything. Plus, it sealed Mangini's fate, which all Jets fans wanted before Favre came into town.

L7Panda

Cheesehead
Reaction score
90% less animosity towards him. the waffling was annoying as well as how he treated aaron but I could get past all of that

Thanks. This is what I thought.

I'm still unsure if I'll wear my Favre Jets jersey to Lambeau in September. Seems like it wouldn't be a good idea.

I'm shocked his Steakhouse is still profitable.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. This is what I thought.

I'm still unsure if I'll wear my Favre Jets jersey to Lambeau in September. Seems like it wouldn't be a good idea.

I'm shocked his Steakhouse is still profitable.

The food isn't well regarded by a lot of people.

Packer fans might chirp, but this isnt Philly, you won't need to start swinging or anything

L7Panda

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The food isn't well regarded by a lot of people.

Packer fans might chirp, but this isnt Philly, you won't need to start swinging or anything

Haha, never go on the road looking for a fight. I act how I would like fans of the opposition to act while at MetLife (I have Jets season tickets, so I know how annoying how some opposing fans can be). I sit quietly unless we make a huge play, or score a TD - and never taunt. Unless I'm up in New England. ;)

Packer fans won't have to worry about my friends and I. We look at Green Bay as the place to go to if you're an NFL fan and we've been saving up/looking forward to this trip for a while. Green Bay is the mecca of football.

Members online

Latest posts