Brett and the Pack

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
holy *****! can't blame TT & MM for what they said - i'd be nervous if i were in their shoes too. hell, i'm nervous & i'm just a fan!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But one way Favre could have helped the Packers would have been by announcing he was coming back in time for the start of the free-agent period.

While the Packers entered free agency with $30 million in salary-cap room and thus didn't need the extra $7.6 million of space Favre's retirement would have provided, being able to tell prospective signees that Favre would be back would have been a good recruiting tool.

"No doubt about it," McCarthy said.

Thompson, who said he last spoke to Favre "a couple days ago," said he thought Favre's return would have been a selling point to free-agent visitors.

"I think it's possible that there are players that might consider the Packers more attractive if Brett was our quarterback today," Thompson said.

Asked if Favre's indecision has hamstrung the team during the offseason, Thompson replied, "I wouldn't want to get into that. But it makes certain things a little difficult."•
------------------

So Favres indecision is affecting free agency. Thank you, the end. Like I said all along.

come back, brett.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, it may come down to this Saturday unless they extend it again.

The Packers are picking up a few FA'a & re-signing other players while Favre watches and waits. I think they are still a few players away from getting Favre excited about this team.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe the players that would excite favre, wont come....because they dont know if favre is gonna be there.

it works both ways...

come back brett

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright stop saying he should have said it before free agency, because even if he wouldve we wouldnt have signed a QB.

trom whats with that picture man

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
Alright stop saying he should have said it before free agency, because even if he wouldve we wouldnt have signed a QB.

trom whats with that picture man

how can you say that?

McCarthy himself said hes not sold on A-Rod. If Favre retired before free agency, id bet my pinky finger he woulda signed a QB (maybe not a brees or something, but he woulda signed someone)

and my picture is of our 'breakout CB' smiling in his mugshot. its kinda creepy and ill change it soon.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post the original

And what's so creepy about it?

And it seems to me that Al Harris didn't break out until about his sixth season or so when he finally left Philly. Give Carroll some time.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did McCarthy say that? I've heard nothing of the sort. The only people I hear saying they aren't sold on Rodgers are reporters who haven't seen him practice since training camp.

OP
OP
H

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think to if Brett was going to retire they would have been more interested in a veteran QB in free agency,,just my thought though..

Looks like Saturday might be the day, sure hope so this waiting is a killer!!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So TT Qouted:

"I think it's possible that there are players that might consider the Packers more attractive if Brett was our quarterback today," Thompson said.

Interesting, excuses already and aimed at Brett. Heres my quote :

" I think it's possible that if TT had had made some decisions that would have made the team a little more attractive then Brett might be back already and he wouldn't have to worry about it"

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, their patience OUGHT to be wearing thin by now. Their comments are very restrained, considering the circumstances. Thompson's comment is obviously correct. To deny it would be an insult to Brett, as well as being untrue. But I will add that even if Brett had decided to retire before free agency, the Packers would be more attractive to free agents than they are with the QB position hanging in the balance. Given a choice, players will sign with a team that has a plan--whether that's trying to win with a veteran QB this year or building for the future with a young QB. Thompson may be partly to blame for the team's uncertain future, but it sure hasn't helped, having a veteran QB who can't decide whether or not he wants to play.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree (here) as well, Greg.

We've hashed this so much, it's just plain redundant.

Favre has probably been looking at the caliber of protection he'd see once the Game starts. Left Guard, and Center are top priority, for just about "any" Quarterback. TT has made sure to stock the larder with some better (and taller) Wideouts, making the Packers resemble the Lions when they had Herman Moore, ...almost.

If McCarthy and Thompson can sufficiently answer hard questions on those two positions, in a solid fashion, then I would think the next day, Brett would be on the four-letter network announcing his decision to return.

Truthfully, it's mute point - he doesn't have to say anything; and MM doesn't have to give him a free pass on the mini-camps, either - like Sherman would always do. I've always felt Favre should have more of a Majik Man attitude for the off-season than he has.... his INT stats demand he should be out there on the field watching his fundamentals and his decision skills constantly, which sagged under Sherman, year after year. of late....

Spending time, in the offseason with the rest of the Team wouldn't hurt him at all - and the Team wouldn't be so off-key, either...

I'd say that this year, if he does come back - then TT & MM (both) should demand his FULL participation throughout the whole offseason - no question about it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stated it in other threads........when TT was being bashed for not making enough moves to keep Brett. I said, maybe more moves would have been made IF they knew he was coming back. HE is the one dragging his feet, holding things up.
I think it's time to decide either way. He's had 3 months, thats enough time. I want him back, but he needs to figure it out, so the Pack knows who will be behind center.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
So TT Qouted:

Interesting, excuses already and aimed at Brett. Heres my quote :

" I think it's possible that if TT had had made some decisions that would have made the team a little more attractive then Brett might be back already and he wouldn't have to worry about it"

how is that an excuse?

it is a factual statement, and i have been saying that since free agency began.

GB without favre is just a small community with a good history.
GB with favre is a legendary team and a team that always has a shot at a ring.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not an "excuse" trom but that statement sounds like he is trying to take some onus off of himself, I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this one though as I could be reading it wrong .

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
CalifPacker said:
So, it may come down to this Saturday unless they extend it again.

No. There's language in the contract that states if Favre retires, the team is not liable for any roster bonus. The roster bonus date will just continually be pushed back until he makes a decision.

My guess is we should expect that decision within 2 weeks - by the draft at the very latest. That's based on no source though. It's just me thinking Favre has had plenty of time already and knows that it would be an icredible disservice to the team he respects to not have made his mind up by draft time.

I also am fairly confident that he will decide to come back for one more year. Many of his family members have said they believe every day he waits makes it mor likely he will return.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Started to waver on this one until I read a couple of posts from another forum :

"What I don't like is these are quotes from TT and McCarthy making public statements about a legend and then basically blaming him because no FA signed to play in Green Bay and somehow this is Bretts fault. Leaders don't point fingers or blame others maybe no one want to play for McCarthy and that's the reason. Maybe the Fa's think TT can't be trusted and that's the reason but MONEY TALKS OR FREE AGENTS WALK !!! "

and :

"Ted Thompson is no better then TO. He should not air his differences with a player in the press. If he has something to say he should tell Brett, not the press. Instead of hanging with Jerry Jones in Florida this week he should get his but back to work. Green Bay is where he should be".

I am not wavering anymore.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe its just a ploy. Maybe they know he's coming back. The FA's visiting had to sign a confidentiality agreement not to talk about it. Keeping this information will allow someone behind the number 5 pick, who wants a QB, willing to trade us for our pick thinking that we will grab a QB. With the Saints getting their QB, the jets getting their QB, chances are Williams will be gone and maybe Hawk. This allows Young,Cutler, maybe even Leinhart to fall to 5.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
lol, show me one quote where he blames favre.

just one.

It is not just me who is reading between the lines here trom, here is yet another quote from another forum:

"But if Ted Thompson is going to put the burden of his job on Brett, allowing him to act as scapegoat for the lack of big free agency moves, then I would predict that Brett Favre can see the writing on the wall".

Now, even if we are all wrong ( possible ), I will ask you : How good is our new GM's communication skills considering so many of us now are reading the same thing into what he is saying ?

Members online

Latest posts