Bret Retire NOW

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
No one wants Favre thrown under a bus. IF he's the best player..he plays yes.

As a "packer" fan, I would like to see the long term health of the franchise.

That's the bigger question that people who have your argument don't tackle.

Does Favre represent the long terms goals of the franchise?
when all the receivers, line, and most of the defense are all around the same age?

I never said Aaron was a can't miss. But how and when do we find out?
When Packer QB past/present doesnt allow the future?

Alrighty then, now this is a sensible post with some legitimate questions.

Long Term Health.. It is half a dozen eggs in one hand and in the other. You have this team that is built around youth and has proven itself in the talent category. My argument around the team is you always put yourself in a position to win now with one eye on the future.

In most cases, if you have two players of equal talent, you take the younger of the two for the long haul. I agree there.. Rodgers should be around alot longer than Favre.. should be. ;)

But are they of equal talent and knowledge at the position, I say no. We are not talking about Rex Grossman type vet here.

What is the long term goal of the franchise? To consistently put the best available team on the field to win, year after year. Rosters, schemes and personel change every year. Do you really think it is hurting Rodgers to wait in the wings? He is only 25.. lots of years left to play.

How do we find out on Rodgers, he proves himself year in and out in training camp and games action. This is the first year he looked the part of an NFL QB.. come back and prove it next season.

As far as Rodgers contract and earning potential, what if Rodgers struggled for a couple years, would he get a big time contract in the end. Probably not a mega deal. But lets play this out.. Lets say he sits again next year and goes into FA... don't think for a second he isn't going to haul in a huge payload being the Favre mentor and how people have succeeded in that position. Think of the leverage he has in Green Bay at that point.

Lets say Favre retires and Rodgers has a great year following it up.. large payday there as well. In the end, he is missing potential dollars now, but overall this might be the best thing that ever happened to him.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
cheesey said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
cheesey said:
So yeah, toss Favre aside for someone that might win us 3 games mext season. Yeah,.......makes perfect sense to me. :roll:

3-10 next season but won't be like that the 2nd year.
Thats true,.....it could be 2-14.
I just don't understand it.........throw away Favre because we lost the title game. Yeah.....makes sense. Put in a guy that may or may not be any good. What do we have to go on with Rodgers? A couple of mop up games.
Like i have said before.........if great QB's are so easy to come by, whay have just the teams in our own division (not counting the whole NFL) had dozens of QB's go through their teams in the last 17 years? Fact is, we have been blessed to have one of the best all time QB's leading our team, and i think alot of youngin's don't realize how spoiled they have been to have that all these years.
How old are you by the way? How long have you been a Packer fan?
The answers to those questions might tell us alot.
Rodgers MIGHT be good, or he MIGHT be another Cade McNown, Todd Marinovich, Andre Ware.......heck, i could probably write for hours the "can't miss" qb's that DID miss.

when all the receivers, line, and most of the defense are all around the same age?

So you mortgage the present for an uncertain future just to satisfy your curiosity when you know that the commodity that you have currently is a proven winner?

Man...I would hate to see your portfolio....

Makes no business sense at all....

It wasn't a conclusion here fuzz. I was posing the question.
WHEN do we make the change and how does it happen?

I'm a BANK VP..be happy to show you my portfolio =)

What Bank Cal? I am in a Bank too. I have to agree with Fuzz here. You shouldn't give up on a proven commodity for an uncertian commodity. That being said, Favre will go when he gets the first hint that he can't do it anymore. This year he certianly was able to do it.

My guess is it will not be needed to be made by the team. He will retire before the team feels that Rodgers is the better QB.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points Pack,

Brett may play 4-5 more years though. Aaron won't be 25 then..
Then isn't someone in someone else's way?

I'm just trying to get a pulse of the other fans in this forum
and where the saturation point is for you guys. I've already
reached mine, and your posts says possibly next year..
but what if it drags on beyond that?

I just wanted to know when the rest of the fans start feeling the need for the future.

Cal2GreenBay said:

Alrighty then, now this is a sensible post with some legitimate questions.

Long Term Health.. It is half a dozen eggs in one hand and in the other. You have this team that is built around youth and has proven itself in the talent category. My argument around the team is you always put yourself in a position to win now with one eye on the future.

In most cases, if you have two players of equal talent, you take the younger of the two for the long haul. I agree there.. Rodgers should be around alot longer than Favre.. should be. ;)

But are they of equal talent and knowledge at the position, I say no. We are not talking about Rex Grossman type vet here.

What is the long term goal of the franchise? To consistently put the best available team on the field to win, year after year. Rosters, schemes and personel change every year. Do you really think it is hurting Rodgers to wait in the wings? He is only 25.. lots of years left to play.

How do we find out on Rodgers, he proves himself year in and out in training camp and games action. This is the first year he looked the part of an NFL QB.. come back and prove it next season.

As far as Rodgers contract and earning potential, what if Rodgers struggled for a couple years, would he get a big time contract in the end. Probably not a mega deal. But lets play this out.. Lets say he sits again next year and goes into FA... don't think for a second he isn't going to haul in a huge payload being the Favre mentor and how people have succeeded in that position. Think of the leverage he has in Green Bay at that point.

Lets say Favre retires and Rodgers has a great year following it up.. large payday there as well. In the end, he is missing potential dollars now, but overall this might be the best thing that ever happened to him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzznuts said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
cheesey said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
cheesey said:
So yeah, toss Favre aside for someone that might win us 3 games mext season. Yeah,.......makes perfect sense to me. :roll:

3-10 next season but won't be like that the 2nd year.
Thats true,.....it could be 2-14.
I just don't understand it.........throw away Favre because we lost the title game. Yeah.....makes sense. Put in a guy that may or may not be any good. What do we have to go on with Rodgers? A couple of mop up games.
Like i have said before.........if great QB's are so easy to come by, whay have just the teams in our own division (not counting the whole NFL) had dozens of QB's go through their teams in the last 17 years? Fact is, we have been blessed to have one of the best all time QB's leading our team, and i think alot of youngin's don't realize how spoiled they have been to have that all these years.
How old are you by the way? How long have you been a Packer fan?
The answers to those questions might tell us alot.
Rodgers MIGHT be good, or he MIGHT be another Cade McNown, Todd Marinovich, Andre Ware.......heck, i could probably write for hours the "can't miss" qb's that DID miss.

So you mortgage the present for an uncertain future just to satisfy your curiosity when you know that the commodity that you have currently is a proven winner?

Man...I would hate to see your portfolio....

Makes no business sense at all....

It wasn't a conclusion here fuzz. I was posing the question.
WHEN do we make the change and how does it happen?

I'm a BANK VP..be happy to show you my portfolio =)
When? To me thats an easy question to answer. Either when Brett decides to retire, or when he shows that he sucks and can't do it anymore. Pretty easy if you ask me. I bet 25 or more NFL teams would have LOVED to have Favre behind center last season. He still is in the top tier of QB's.

Is he the long term future? Nope. But their are no guarentees of ANY long term QB in the NFL. Favre gives us the best shot at going all the way NOW. There will be PLENTY of years to fool around with who will be the next QB of our team.
The 1970's and 80's were not so fun to be a Packer fan. I lived through that time. Thats why i'm in no big hurry to push out the best thing GB has had in 30 years out the door. Now, if Favre's ability had declined so much that it was obvious he was no good anymore, i would say sit him. But he had no support out there Sunday, and all that shows is that he can't do it by himself. Had we been able to muster up a running game, or our WR's been able to get open, or our D put some pressure on Manning, or Harris been able to stop Burris, or our D not make dumb penalties that handed the Giants crucial first downs......the team stunk, the coaching stunk, it was a bad team day. To say Favre is the reason we lost that game to me is rediculous. Yes, he has had better days, but no one is perfect.
You think Peyton Manning should be sat because they lost to SD?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tripp.. I am NOT related to Rodgers. Clear the air here.
Unless he has some multi-ethnic blood in his family..we're probably
only related by our CAL affiliation.

Pack93z..I'm not backing out of any comment. I said it and it was a joke.
Nice try to word as though I was cowering out of something. Not in the least.

Begging for retirement for Favre? Hardly.
Again..Satire! To help you guys out..I wlll tag everything "JOKE" or "SATIRE" for you okay? That should move things along

It's the issue of others who get their ******* in a bunch and take things so literally. It's a FREAKIN ONLINE FORUM.

You guys are the ones who REALLY need to let it go...

I'll sum up. Favre better than Rodgers.. Ramah! (as I thump my chest and hold my drumstick). [JOKE]

This is one of the few posts that have made any sense. This is a question that should be tackled in full. I hope the Packer organization has the foresight to see this as well.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i do not get his last throw, why not take the sack. he looked really cold, just like the bears game.

i think if he comes back, there should be a challenge from a-rod for the starters job

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL I've enjoyed reading these last few pages. Cal actually makes some good arguments to make me think but I got a few ?s in response not to argue but rather discuss. I know you refer to Favre losing his playoff majic which I can agree we havn't seen much but then I thought well name me another QB pulling out miracles in the playoffs and I couldn't think of one. Also I see your point about the future but I'm not sure what you call the future(next year or 2-3 years) I'd actually like to see Aaron get his chance in 2 or 3 years cause I think this could keep us a contender for years to come but as for next year I've never heard of a team one win away from the SB with the youngest team in the leageu talk about letting go of their core player and rebuild. I think ideal situation for all is Favre comes back next year wins the SB and lets Rodgers take over from there. I think some of the backlash you hear about Aaron is we've seen firsthand in this division how hard it is getting a QB so it's hard to let go of one of the best in the game for a prospect.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When asking if Favre should retire, does the $12M in salary come into the picture??? If you thought that Rodgers could be close to Bretts level this year, then wouldnt that really factor in to the equation?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When asking if Favre should retire, does the $12M in salary come into the picture??? If you thought that Rodgers could be close to Bretts level this year, then wouldnt that really factor in to the equation?

That's a great question to ask. Is he a twelve million dollar man? If he isn't, how much is he worth? More importantly would you rather have a different twelve million dollar man or even two six million dollar men instead? All valid questions.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Little birdy is saying its likley Brett is back next year and should find out sooner then last year..

So this debate can go on NEXT YEAR after a SB win

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL I've enjoyed reading these last few pages. Cal actually makes some good arguments to make me think but I got a few ?s in response not to argue but rather discuss. I know you refer to Favre losing his playoff majic which I can agree we havn't seen much but then I thought well name me another QB pulling out miracles in the playoffs and I couldn't think of one. Also I see your point about the future but I'm not sure what you call the future(next year or 2-3 years) I'd actually like to see Aaron get his chance in 2 or 3 years cause I think this could keep us a contender for years to come but as for next year I've never heard of a team one win away from the SB with the youngest team in the leageu talk about letting go of their core player and rebuild. I think ideal situation for all is Favre comes back next year wins the SB and lets Rodgers take over from there. I think some of the backlash you hear about Aaron is we've seen firsthand in this division how hard it is getting a QB so it's hard to let go of one of the best in the game for a prospect.

John Elway, and Joe Montana had that playoff Magic that Favre HAD.

U think Brett's going to retire after a superbowl? He'll want to do it again!
You really think people are going to want Brett to finally LET GO after he wins a superbowl and hand the reigns to Rodgers? That doesn't seem quite ideal. He's in a no win situation when he replaces Favre. And replacing him after a superbowl is not the best transition.

The best transition is actually a decline in Favre's performance and Aaron outplaying him.

But politics will be tough to make that enough for him to be the starter

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could end up trading Aaron Rodgers..

It would be great to trade him to a desperate team that will overpay, a Schaub-like trade.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:

John Elway, and Joe Montana had that playoff Magic that Favre HAD.

U think Brett's going to retire after a superbowl? He'll want to do it again!
You really think people are going to want Brett to finally LET GO after he wins a superbowl and hand the reigns to Rodgers? That doesn't seem quite ideal. He's in a no win situation when he replaces Favre. And replacing him after a superbowl is not the best transition.

The best transition is actually a decline in Favre's performance and Aaron outplaying him.

But politics will be tough to make that enough for him to be the starter

Are you crazy?

You're going to toss away a SUPERBOWL for the Packers just because you want a PROJECT like Aaron Rodgers to start. Talk about being a blind Homer for Rodgers. In case you didn't know, it's not easy to win the SB. Hell..it's not easy to even get there, and you're going to toss the Packers best chance of getting there for someone who may never get them there?

Isn't that the point of playing in the NFL.

"You play to win the game"

You play to win the SUPERBOWL....

There is no guarantee that Rodgers will EVER get the Packers to the SB...

Also, you are spreading lies/myths about Favre losing that "playoff magic"....

Didn't he win a playoff game last week by crushing the Seahawks?

Didn't the Giants come in to Lambeau and OUTPLAY the Packers by smacking them around on both sides of the ball....

Don't start this "playoff magic" crap because it's just a ruse to try and trick people into thinking that Aaron Rodgers is the answer.

He isn't...He should be traded.

Favre could play 3-5 more years and win several SB's....
That IS the future.

You don't replace a top 3 QB in the NFL with a "project"...

To remind you once again...This is why the Packers lost the game....Not some made up fantasy like "Brett Favre has lost his playoff magic"...

This was a TEAM LOSS, not one I can put on any one player.

I think its safe to say we did not play well. The Giants came in and made it a priority to stop the run and make us a one trick pony. It worked. Our offensive line was not able to open holes early and their linebackers were very disapplined and gave Grant no cutback lanes. Early on, we burnt them a few times on passing plays incorporating play action run fakes as their safeties came up to defend it. But as the game went on and they saw they didn't need to help out their front seven stop the run, their safeties stopped biting on the play action and stayed back. Unfortunately, the label "finesse" might well apply to our run blocking. We are not a smash mouth run blocking football team and until we can fix that we will have trouble running the ball in games like this.

Their defensive backs also played much closer to the line of scrimmage than they did against Dallas, bumping our receivers alot and taking away alot of the short stuff on the passing game.

Our offensive line did pass block well. Farve had more time than I thought he would have but the Giants did a very good job of filling their rush lanes so that Favre couldn't step through and pass the oncoming lineman to gain a good line of sight to our receivers which is one of Brett's true strengths. On top of that Brett became impatient in the second half when I think he sensed he had to make a play because the offense was sputtering and the defense was tiring.

This was simply, a great defensive gameplan by the Giants defensive coordinator and we did not do well against it. I trust McCarthy (gameplan) and Thompson (obtaining players) will note our this big area of need (improved run blocking) and do something about it.

I won't go into the defense here, but they too contributed mightily to this loss.

The Giants were the better team on this day...period...and yet we STILL almost won this game. That in itself is very surprising. They dominated us and yet we still had our chances at the end

All things considering, Brett did about as much as a man could. In the 4th qtr and OT, the giants didnt and werent going to blitz much because they didnt have to. The pack werent moving the ball well at all. They couldnt run, and Favre was a little inconsistent with his passing. Some were perfect, and some defintiley were not. But that is to be expected in that kind of weather, and throwing what they were trying to throw. The g-men sat back in coverage, and let favre try to beat them.

No QB would have had a "magic answer" for that....

And that includes Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

What did the Chargers do to Manning in the playoffs?

Do you think the Colts fan base is attacking Manning and demanding that he step down saying that Peyton has lost his "playoff magic"?

He won the SB last year...

His team got outplayed by another good team in the NFL....

It happens. Get over it.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to post on this thread again. Cal I actually do think after a SB Brett would retire but I'll say it's strictly based on my opinion so who knows' I just think winning it at 29 he would se is his perfect time to leave, and I think he'd have to hard a time gearing up for another year after accomplishing the ultimate. The part I hadn't thought about which you are right on is it would be a rough way for Rodgers to step up haaving to defend the title as he'd basically be in a no win sitiaution. Hard part for him will be cause he's been around so long people will forget he's still realy a rookie and will have the normal growing pains.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to post on this thread again. Cal I actually do think after a SB Brett would retire but I'll say it's strictly based on my opinion so who knows' I just think winning it at 29 he would se is his perfect time to leave, and I think he'd have to hard a time gearing up for another year after accomplishing the ultimate. The part I hadn't thought about which you are right on is it would be a rough way for Rodgers to step up haaving to defend the title as he'd basically be in a no win sitiaution. Hard part for him will be cause he's been around so long people will forget he's still realy a rookie and will have the normal growing pains.

Great post CdnFarvefan!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts