Breett Favre playing like you'd expect him to play

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just love watching this guy play. His knowledge of the game is obvious every time he takes the field. McCarthy has done a "great" job of holding him accountable and Brett has accepted that challenge. Gone are the days of trying to make plays that just aren't there. He's been given the opportunity to call audibles and he's reading everything just right. He's doing what great quarterbacks do, and that is, making the plays that are the right one's rather than trying to make a great play all the time. In essence, he's making great plays all the time because they are the right one's. He is the perfect quarterback for this system because he is executing the offense

The Wide Receivers coach deserves some credit here too because he's got those guys coached up. Those young guys and Donald are catching the difficult passes, and other than a drop or two here and there, they're making the routine catch look routine. That passing game has created a nice running game too. We just have to remember, we're not a running team, but we can run the ball.

It is a privilege to watch Brett Favre run this offense.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about saying, TT finally gave him some playmakers and a football team around him rather than saying that McCarthy is doing a great job holding him "accountable"?

That argument is just downright ridiculous.

It's like making the argument that Favre was "washed up", but now somehow, he is "unwashed up".

Nobody was going to win or go far with the '04, '05, and '06 teams. I don't care who the QB is...Do you really think they could have won anything with those teams?

The "right plays" weren't there because the "right receivers" weren't there. Just a bunch of NFL europe type guys...and guys signed off the street and waiver wire..Oh, and the Offensive Line was a horror show. Defense wasn't much either.

I don't know how you guys can say that Sherman sucked as a GM and then turn around and think that Favre should have won with those same guys. It doesn't make sense.

You're a Packer fan. But that doesn't mean you can't admit it when your team sucks. And they sucked, big time.

I don't know why some people either refuse to see that, or admit it! :roll:

It's not that hard. Really.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sure did miss the point of this string my friend. If you don't think that Brett Favre is a different quarterback under McCarthy than he was under Sherman, you're just plain wrong. McCarthy has given him more freedom than Sherman did and I think that benefits a great player, but he has also said you can't be throwing the ball where you shouldn't throw the ball. As a future HOF QB I expect this guy to make good choices. He had a few years under Sherman where he wasn't making good choices and now he is. His strength is his ability to read defenses and know where the open guys are and he's doing that consistently.

And if you read this correctly you would have noticed that I gave credit to Robinson and his receivers because they are making plays. And be honest, did you ever think that Donald Lee, Jenkins, Jones, and Martin would become such outstanding receivers? No way! I give McCarthy all the credit in the world for taking a HOF QB and insisting that he play like one instead of playing like a washed up QB. Brett is one his game unlike I've ever seen him. It's his talent, experience, great arm and ability to make plays for sure, but give McCarthy some credit for putting it all together in an offensive scheme that fits him.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. MM could have come to town and at the time very easily (not popularly of course) eased Favre out and Rodgers in. The team had just come off a 4-12 season and Favre himself took his good 'ol time deciding if he even wanted to play again.

He didn't do that of course. He realized the obvious - he had a great QB that could still play (and ultimately wanted to play) at the level he expected him to.

I've seen Favre himself say that MM made him more accountable for his play.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was actually going to do a string on Mike McCarthy because I think this guy has been almost genius in his game preparation, the game plan he puts in, and how he manages his players. I was worried as all get out when he first took over and players were skipping his OTA's without any accountability, but the guy has pieced it all together. He's made players accountable to the Green Bay Packers. He has devised schemes that give everyone a chance to play and has brought in coaches who have been able to make players play better. Brett Favre is at the top of his game no doubt, but so is everyone else's game. Example, have you ever seen Woodson play better? At 10-1 there is plenty of credit to go to many, I salute them all.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give McCarthy credit. I just don't give him ALL the credit.

Sherman was a control freak who wouldn't let Favre change plays, so whether it was a bad play or not based on the defense, Favre had to stick with it, and out of frustration sometimes, he would force plays. Then, by '04 and '05 the talent around him was running out as well.

Now I give credit to TT for providing better talent, which has been a pleasant surprise to me.

And I give McCarthy alot of credit for turning Favre loose and letting him run the offense.

But I refuse to concede the fact that Favre was primarily responsible for bad coaching and declining talent under Mike Sherman.

Favre hadn't "lost it" or forgotten how to play the QB position and McCarthy "reminded him". That's just silly.

It's that he finally has the talent around him, and the freedom to run the offense based on his talents and abilities. If Sherman would have done these things several years ago, Favre would have been doing the same thing then.

But Sherman wasn't smart enough, or good enough to make it happen.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"But I refuse to concede the fact that Favre was primarily responsible for bad coaching and declining talent under Mike Sherman. "

Fuzznuts, I agree with you on this one.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought that Mike Sherman was head coach material in the NFL, and was over his head much of the time. That Harlan made him GM completely blew my mind.

At most, Sherman should be an OC. He wasted alot of Favre's prime, and the Green Bay Packers would have been to the SB alot earlier with a better coach and GM, imo.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't intend to turn this into a purge Mike Sherman string, but I agree with you again Fuzznuts. He almost destroyed this franchise. I credit Harlan with recognizing that he needed to bring in Thompson, and I credit Thompson with recognizing that Sherman wasn't the man for the job. Again I give credit to Thompson for bringing in McCarthy. He is obviously the right man for the job.

There are many who doubt what I say, but I'll continue to preach it. Every team in every sport is a reflection of their coach, manager etc. Holmgren brought an entirely new mentality to Green Bay, it is one that was missing since Lombardi left. Starr had the mentality he didn't have the coaching experience to change the environment. McCarthy has regained what Holmgren created, simply put, the word is "accountability". If you can't make the play you can't play for him.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts