Brees versus Rodgers by the Numbers

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chances the vote is split?

This may yet come to pass. As I see it, Rodgers and Brees are pretty much two sides of the same coin. Rodgers has the advantage statistically but who knows what they are looking for. I think this vote will be one of the closest, if not the closest in history. We do have to face the possibility of a split. Of course, as a Packers fan, I'm for Rodgers and I fully believe he should get it. But Brees also presents a compelling argument. I think this is a lot closer than we want to admit. Will Rodgers statistical edge be enough to tip the scales in his favor...

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive been seeing this said alot. If the people want say that then dont be mad when people say Rodgers sitting out helped his passer rating since it sure as heck doesnt effect it. Granite, im not taking anything away from Rodgers at all, but sitting avoiding injury and avoiding possible mistakes that could be made is just a different way of padding stats when it comes to passer rating.

Im awaiting flames lol
Lets see, his backup threw for over 500 yards and 6 tuddies with backups playing against the lions starters.
So your assumption is that Rodgers would have been in the game and thrown 3 or 4 picks, 1 or 2 tuddies, and only completed half his passes, and gotten 80 to 100 yards?

I am pretty sure his reason for sitting wasn't to pad stats but an agreement that the game had no meaning to anyone aside from the Falcons and the Lions.

You have been flamed.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really, because obviously it isnt just one game he sat out with a lead in.....so try again.

And regardless, I dont care either way....im just saying it to put it out there.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I don't know how it can be close. Wasn't Rodgers Player of the Month for three of the four months of the regular season?

Packer fan forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive been seeing this said alot. If the people want say that then dont be mad when people say Rodgers sitting out helped his passer rating since it sure as heck doesnt effect it. Granite, im not taking anything away from Rodgers at all, but sitting avoiding injury and avoiding possible mistakes that could be made is just a different way of padding stats when it comes to passer rating.

Im awaiting flames lol
No flames coming from here - you are entitled to your opinion. The decision to sit Rodgers out of the last game - along with Woodson, Matthews, et.al. - I believe was made purely to ensure that no one would be injured in a game that meant nothing in terms of the season. Although it did ensure that Rodgers' QB rating didn't drop, I don't believe that was a consideration. It was a coaching decision I have heard many sportscasters agree was the best way to go.

Different considerations entirely, I think.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Honestly answer me this guys.

Which would scare you more?

1) Packers up 34-30 with 2 minutes to go in the NFCCG with Drew Brees having the ball in the final 2 minutes.

2) Packers up 34-30 with 2 minutes to go in the SB with Tom Brady having the ball in the final 2 minutes.

Reaction score

1) Packers up 34-30 with 2 minutes to go in the NFCCG with Drew Brees having the ball in the final 2 minutes.

2) Packers up 34-30 with 2 minutes to go in the SB with Tom Brady having the ball in the final 2 minutes.
Both lol

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

What's the difference? (Honest question, BTW.)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score

I was just curious is all since my sister and I were chatting QB's tonight during the game. We both said Brady would scare us a lot more in a high pressure situation in a big game over Brees.

Actually Ben scares me too in those situations sometimes. He is a great improviser. I mean assuming he has two legs that work.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Rodgers' season QB rating would have improved had he played that game instead of Flynn...and if anyone honestly believes the reason McCarthy sat him was to "preserve" his QBR...well, I gotta stop before I insult somebody and break the posting rules.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score

Actually it is not a good question the more I think about it. It's stupid.

The correct answer at QB to fear most is Aaron Rodgers. In the future it is Andrew Luck. Luck has not played yet in the NFL but he is already the second best QB in the league behind Rodgers I have decided.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If All Pro voters gave Aaron 48/50 votes, he's almost a lock to win MVP. I heard they too vote MVP. If it comes to talent, Aaron had the better season after 15 games. With or without new rules to help offenses, 122.5 QB rating, 45 TD 6 Int will go down as one of the best seasons any QB can have. If it's debate about value, 14-1 vs 13-3. Packers OL was decimated this year, Saints have 2 All Pro OL, I concede we have the better WRs/TE, but they have much better running game and we have the worst defense not the Patriots in terms of performance. To say ranking is flawed due to our ppg is masking it. We gave up 35 to NY(Eli accurate late), 27 to Minn(Ponder looked great), 26 to TB(They were an awful team), 38 to SD (they made it close in just minutes). Take all that into account, and it's Drew who has the better "supporting cast" further cementing Aaron should be MVP.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
1. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers
Good QBs should throw very few INTs in the red zone, but this Rodgers stat is ridiculous: 30 TDs and one pick from inside the opponents' 20-yard line. Rodgers has 11 TDs with one INT on passes traveling more than 20 yards past the line of scrimmage before the reception. He averages a league-leading 22.8 yards per attempt on these longer throws, according to ESPN Stats & Information. He has 10 TDs without a pick on throws from outside the pocket. Basically, Rodgers can beat any defense from anywhere on the field.

2. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints
All Brees did was set NFL records for passing yards (5,476), completion percentage (71.2), completions (468), first downs passing (278), 300-yard games (13) and consecutive 300-yard games (seven). Brees finished the season with 39 TDs and eight INTs on short and long throws. His ratio on intermediate passes -- those traveling 10-20 yards past the line of scrimmage -- was only 7-6, compared to 9-1 for Rodgers.

Needs to be brought back up..

How many YAC yards have Bress people got? Granted his numbers are insane, but yardage for q/b is based a ton on his wr

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch

Sproles is #2, Graham and Thomas are #17...So he has 3 players in top 17 in yac yards...Seems to be that his players gave him a lot of those yards and dont get credit for it...1654 yards

Packers have none in top 20

Jordy is #21 and that is the ONLY Packer in top 40..Next is Jennings at 51...

To further solidify the point that pure passing yards have a lot to do with the WR ..

Brady was #2 in yards...His players were #1, #4 and #9 in YAC

Stafford third in yards....Players #8 and #24 in YAC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now if you go by % then Brees has more input with that stat..Although his players need to catch them...We saw the Packers drop a ton of balls this year that hurt Rodgers #

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

GB is 5th
NO is 15th
NE is 27th

~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is why I believe that just pure yardage and to a certain extent, % completion isnt a true indicator of being MVP

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Watch out gang, the bandwagon is really going strong I'm telling you: ARod's MVP chances have been seriously hurt by Flynn's performance. The bandwagon line is that Rodgers has benefited from the "system" and that he isn't that valuable if Flynn can come in a do what he did.

Ummmmm....of course Rodgers f--king benefits from the "system." Like Brees doesn't? Or Brady doesn't? Stay tuned.....bet you anything Rodgers doesn't win the MVP. It will either be Brees or Rodgers-Brees C0-MVP.

Wrong...Read articles on reporter that have actual votes..Then come back and say this

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really, because obviously it isnt just one game he sat out with a lead in.....so try again.

And regardless, I dont care either way....im just saying it to put it out there.
You must care or you wouldn't have posted it. So you are agreeing that if, like Brees, Rodgers would have stayed in more games that he may taken the yards record?

Anyhow, since you don't care either way, I guess there is point in replying. ;)

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just curious is all since my sister and I were chatting QB's tonight during the game. We both said Brady would scare us a lot more in a high pressure situation in a big game over Brees.

Actually Ben scares me too in those situations sometimes. He is a great improviser. I mean assuming he has two legs that work.
outdoors, likely Brady over Brees that is after Rodgers of course.

All 3 are very good QB's. Manning also has potential but to me is a step below the other 3.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually it is not a good question the more I think about it. It's stupid.

The correct answer at QB to fear most is Aaron Rodgers. In the future it is Andrew Luck. Luck has not played yet in the NFL but he is already the second best QB in the league behind Rodgers I have decided.

Wow. Please tell me you are joking.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Brees never came this to close to these numbers until this year..Sproles accounted for over 703 yards after the catch..

Last year Brees had about 800 yards less

His next highest total in yards was 08, still about 400 to 500 yards less than this year..Wr with most yac for NO, only 286 yac

The 1st year with Sproles, and Brees breaks the yardage record? Coincidence? I dont think so

Members online

Latest posts