Brees versus Rodgers by the Numbers

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's called "statistical analysis", not "toying with the numbers."

You most certainly are. I'll try to put in in layman's terms for you. Here is what each of them has done for every 100 pass attempts they have had this year:

Rodgers: 9 touchdowns, 1.2 interceptions, 928 yards.

Brees: 6.6 touchdowns, 1.97 interceptions, 770 yards.

These are the kind of stats the MVP voters will look at to help with their decisions. Add to that Rodgers' 20 game winning streak and the Packers' superior record and there's simply no way an objective person doesn't give the MVP to Rodgers. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

LOL at "layman's terms." Someone on the internet is starting to take things way too seriously.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blah, blah, blah. I am willing to bet a paycheck that ARod could care less about this individual award; the previous guy was ate up with all that crap. His eyes are on the Lombardi trophy and all these others are just distractions. Am I wrong or is there no payout associated with MVP? Why is this an important topic??

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blah, blah, blah. I am willing to bet a paycheck that ARod could care less about this individual award; the previous guy was ate up with all that crap. His eyes are on the Lombardi trophy and all these others are just distractions. Am I wrong or is there no payout associated with MVP? Why is this an important topic??

Its not as important as its being made out to be, if there wasnt the Saints fans creaming over the idea of Brees getting it then I dont think you would hear a whole lot about it on here.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Brees is getting older now. They might give him a lifetime achievement MVP like they did for Kobe when Chris Paul deserved it.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Flynn having a great game today hurt Rodger's chances for MVP. It kindof showed that he's maybe not as "V" as say a Brees or a Peyton Manning.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think Flynn having a great game today hurt Rodger's chances for MVP. It kindof showed that he's maybe not as "V" as say a Brees or a Peyton Manning.

This whole argument is just ridiculous to me and I am a Colts fan. And besides one man teams don't usually win it all. They get exposed at some point. When the Colts won the SB those were some of Peyton's worst playoff games actually. The TEAM won it.

If the Colts had a good QB I think they could have made the playoffs in an average AFC with the weapons they have.

I also think it was nice that a guy like Rodgers doesn't care. I mean he is more then willing to let a guy on his team show his stuff. He said a few times this week he wanted Flynn to play some and that he feels he could be a good starter in this league. Thats a good team guy.

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers played one less game, and is 15-1... This is the faded part where does stats overall mean MVP, or does someone most valuable to the team? Which in that case could shoot for Peyton Manning as MVP...

Idk

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rodgers played one less game, and is 15-1... This is the faded part where does stats overall mean MVP, or does someone most valuable to the team? Which in that case could shoot for Peyton Manning as MVP...

Utter crap.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was known in NFL circles that Flynn was the "best back up in the league" before this season. Not surprised he played well, but I am surprised he set records.

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Idk

How does somebody who didn't play become "most valuable player"?

And should Kurt Warner have been named MVP the last few years because of Arizona's woes?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rodgers played one less game, and is 15-1... /quote]

If you count the times he was pulled in the 4th quarter this year (something the Saints NEVER did with Brees, despite several blowouts) then Rodgers actually played about 2.5 less games than Brees.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score

Doesn't it just show that we have a great quarterback, and a potentially great one backing him up? Where is this team with a mediocre QB? Guess I don't see how today changed the answer to that question, but the criteria for MVP seems to shift by the minute, so...eh. Guess we have to wait and see.

One thing is for sure: Rodgers puts this team (and his backup/friend) above his own statistical success. Not so sure about the others, but...you gotta love that.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't it just show that we have a great quarterback, and a potentially great one backing him up? Where is this team with a mediocre QB? Guess I don't see how today changed the answer to that question, but the criteria for MVP seems to shift by the minute, so...eh. Guess we have to wait and see.

One thing is for sure: Rodgers puts this team (and his backup/friend) above his own statistical success. Not so sure about the others, but...you gotta love that.

This. It's hilarious to read how opposing fans (read Saints) and the media talking heads are now saying that Flynn's performance hurts Rodgers' chances for the MVP and "proves" that Rodgers is just a "system" QB. That makes me roll over laughing.

Rodgers has sat out an equivalent of 2.5 games this season. Could you imagine his numbers if he had not sat out several 4th quarters (and half the 3rd quarter too, twice) and had played the full game against the Lions? He'd have broken Brady's TD record, thrown for way over 5000 yards and god knows what else.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch out gang, the bandwagon is really going strong I'm telling you: ARod's MVP chances have been seriously hurt by Flynn's performance. The bandwagon line is that Rodgers has benefited from the "system" and that he isn't that valuable if Flynn can come in a do what he did.

Ummmmm....of course Rodgers f--king benefits from the "system." Like Brees doesn't? Or Brady doesn't? Stay tuned.....bet you anything Rodgers doesn't win the MVP. It will either be Brees or Rodgers-Brees C0-MVP.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. If you have good coaches, it's the system. Only players with bad coaching should get MVP consideration. Then you know it's all on the player. It's the only fair way to do it.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. If you have good coaches, it's the system. Only players with bad coaching should get MVP consideration. Then you know it's all on the player. It's the only fair way to do it.
Hah, yep -- it's the best player on the worst team award.

I do think Coach of the Year has a tedency to be the most improved team award, with a preference to rookie coaches. Not sure if history supports that theory -- but that's what it seems like.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is incorrect, Chase actually came in for Drew during the 3rd.

"During the 3rd"? Brees played the entire 3rd quarter except for the very last play. You try to make it sound like they pulled him somewhere in the middle of the 3rd.

So Brees only played 15.75 games this season (excuse me... make that 15.74 games) as opposed to the 13.5 games that Rodgers played.

PackerChamps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not brady?
Id be picking Brees over Brady any day.

My opinion is that Brady is playing with less talent, tougher environmental conditions, and has similar numbers. But again, we all have our personal opinions and Brady, Brees, and Rodgers should be in consideration.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"During the 3rd"? Brees played the entire 3rd quarter except for the very last play. You try to make it sound like they pulled him somewhere in the middle of the 3rd.

So Brees only played 15.75 games this season (excuse me... make that 15.74 games) as opposed to the 13.5 games that Rodgers played.

Well, as long as we are rounding off then I guess we can say Drew didn't play at all in the 4th against the Giants or MN (even though he played in the first few minutes of each).

Geez.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts