1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Brees versus Rodgers by the Numbers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackwillBEback, Dec 28, 2011.

1. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +91 / 2 / -0
    LOL at "layman's terms." Someone on the internet is starting to take things way too seriously.
  2. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 2 / -0
    your just mad that Rodgers throws a better ball :)
  3. maxlives

maxlives Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +87 / 4 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    Blah, blah, blah. I am willing to bet a paycheck that ARod could care less about this individual award; the previous guy was ate up with all that crap. His eyes are on the Lombardi trophy and all these others are just distractions. Am I wrong or is there no payout associated with MVP? Why is this an important topic??
  4. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 2 / -0
    Its not as important as its being made out to be, if there wasnt the Saints fans creaming over the idea of Brees getting it then I dont think you would hear a whole lot about it on here.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings Received:
    +754 / 9 / -0
    Brees is getting older now. They might give him a lifetime achievement MVP like they did for Kobe when Chris Paul deserved it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 5 / -1
    I think Flynn having a great game today hurt Rodger's chances for MVP. It kindof showed that he's maybe not as "V" as say a Brees or a Peyton Manning.
  7. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings Received:
    +754 / 9 / -0
    This whole argument is just ridiculous to me and I am a Colts fan. And besides one man teams don't usually win it all. They get exposed at some point. When the Colts won the SB those were some of Peyton's worst playoff games actually. The TEAM won it.

If the Colts had a good QB I think they could have made the playoffs in an average AFC with the weapons they have.

I also think it was nice that a guy like Rodgers doesn't care. I mean he is more then willing to let a guy on his team show his stuff. He said a few times this week he wanted Flynn to play some and that he feels he could be a good starter in this league. Thats a good team guy.
  8. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 2 / -0
    If that was the case, Peyton Manning deserves it.
  9. _Xyn

_Xyn Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 1 / -1
    Rodgers played one less game, and is 15-1... This is the faded part where does stats overall mean MVP, or does someone most valuable to the team? Which in that case could shoot for Peyton Manning as MVP...

Idk
  10. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +652 / 39 / -2
    Utter crap.
  11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +3,430 / 81 / -25
    It was known in NFL circles that Flynn was the "best back up in the league" before this season. Not surprised he played well, but I am surprised he set records.
  12. Pacal

Pacal Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    How does somebody who didn't play become "most valuable player"?

And should Kurt Warner have been named MVP the last few years because of Arizona's woes?
  13. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +652 / 39 / -2
  14. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings Received:
    +643 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't it just show that we have a great quarterback, and a potentially great one backing him up? Where is this team with a mediocre QB? Guess I don't see how today changed the answer to that question, but the criteria for MVP seems to shift by the minute, so...eh. Guess we have to wait and see.

One thing is for sure: Rodgers puts this team (and his backup/friend) above his own statistical success. Not so sure about the others, but...you gotta love that.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. LombardiChick

LombardiChick Win or lose, I love this team.

Ratings Received:
    +643 / 0 / -0
    They never really pulled him when they hung the sixty-burger on Indy. What was that about?
  16. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +370 / 7 / -0
    This. It's hilarious to read how opposing fans (read Saints) and the media talking heads are now saying that Flynn's performance hurts Rodgers' chances for the MVP and "proves" that Rodgers is just a "system" QB. That makes me roll over laughing.

Rodgers has sat out an equivalent of 2.5 games this season. Could you imagine his numbers if he had not sat out several 4th quarters (and half the 3rd quarter too, twice) and had played the full game against the Lions? He'd have broken Brady's TD record, thrown for way over 5000 yards and god knows what else.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +91 / 2 / -0
    This is incorrect, Chase actually came in for Drew during the 3rd.
  18. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +370 / 7 / -0
    Watch out gang, the bandwagon is really going strong I'm telling you: ARod's MVP chances have been seriously hurt by Flynn's performance. The bandwagon line is that Rodgers has benefited from the "system" and that he isn't that valuable if Flynn can come in a do what he did.

Ummmmm....of course Rodgers f--king benefits from the "system." Like Brees doesn't? Or Brady doesn't? Stay tuned.....bet you anything Rodgers doesn't win the MVP. It will either be Brees or Rodgers-Brees C0-MVP.
  19. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +612 / 5 / -0
    Nope. If you have good coaches, it's the system. Only players with bad coaching should get MVP consideration. Then you know it's all on the player. It's the only fair way to do it.
  20. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +91 / 2 / -0
    Hah, yep -- it's the best player on the worst team award.

I do think Coach of the Year has a tedency to be the most improved team award, with a preference to rookie coaches. Not sure if history supports that theory -- but that's what it seems like.
  21. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Perhaps they should also consider that Rodgers called the plays for Flynn in the first half -- and did an outstanding job. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  22. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +652 / 39 / -2
    "During the 3rd"? Brees played the entire 3rd quarter except for the very last play. You try to make it sound like they pulled him somewhere in the middle of the 3rd.

So Brees only played 15.75 games this season (excuse me... make that 15.74 games) as opposed to the 13.5 games that Rodgers played.
  23. PackerChamps

PackerChamps Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My opinion is that Brady is playing with less talent, tougher environmental conditions, and has similar numbers. But again, we all have our personal opinions and Brady, Brees, and Rodgers should be in consideration.
  24. PackerChamps

PackerChamps Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think its a combination of both.
  25. morningwood

morningwood Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +91 / 2 / -0
    Well, as long as we are rounding off then I guess we can say Drew didn't play at all in the 4th against the Giants or MN (even though he played in the first few minutes of each).

Geez.