Break out player 2014

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Adams has no shot imo, Jennings, nelson, Jones, Cobb, all broke out their second year on the team, hell wasn't it Boykin second season last year? I would call what he had last year a miny breakout.

I would like to see jones as well but I think his will be more of a 2013 Boykin breakout, no a real breakout to write home about.

My breakout prediction will be a little off beat. My prediction is that the run defense will not be as bad as some rightfully fear it will be. This will be because raji has a second breakout season, Boyd proves to be all the big body run stuffer Pickett was and Burnett, Clinton Dix and Hyde all play the run so well it masks the weaknesses of hawk and jones enough for them to be passable.

I wouldn't count out Adams as he might get more of shot earlier. That and all it takes is one injury.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I highly doubt that. Jones doesn't have the anchor to play DE in our 7 man front, and (granted the ankle was a thing) his run defense was awful last year, especially when his weight dropped. If he does get a shot at Base DE, it'll be as the 4 tech, not the 7, and I'd put cash down on that.
I think Datone will a shot at starting in the base - not a sure thing, a shot. BTW I'll bet if both are healthy, Datone plays more snaps than Perry (who you've posted 'may be better than Peppers').

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think Datone will a shot at starting in the base - not a sure thing, a shot. BTW I'll bet if both are healthy, Datone plays more snaps than Perry (who you've posted 'may be better than Peppers').
And you can call me on it if I'm wrong, because nobody will hear the end of it if I'm right.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
And you can call me on it if I'm wrong, because nobody will hear the end of it if I'm right.
Interesting admission – a self-declared potential obnoxious winner. :D

You will 'hear the end of it' if I'm right because it's my guess Datone will get a lot of snaps at DL, perhaps second only to Daniels. If Perry can get and stay healthy IMO he'll have to vie with Matthews, Peppers, Neal, and perhaps even Mulumba for snaps. Jones has to improve his play vs. the run and Perry has to improve his coverage skills. I hope both do and both are fantastic because the success of the team is more important than whether or not I'm right about this or any other issue related to the team.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt that. Jones doesn't have the anchor to play DE in our 7 man front, and (granted the ankle was a thing) his run defense was awful last year, especially when his weight dropped. If he does get a shot at Base DE, it'll be as the 4 tech, not the 7, and I'd put cash down on that. I think rushing the passer is what he's good at, and rushing the passer is what they'll rely on him to do: mainly in relief of Daniels in Nickel, and as a starter in the Dime packages. Playing the run is a serious weakness for his body type, not just his game.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. I don't think anyone with a clue is suggesting he'll ben an outside player, likely only a 4/5 technique guy (whatever you want to call head up on the offensive tackle.)

Regarding "in relief of," I doubt that. Obviously just minicamps thus far, but he and Daniels were both the starters in nickel.

Regarding his body type, that sounds completely wrong. His body type is pretty much the 3-4 DE ideal (pending what his playing weight is this year.)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams has no shot imo, Jennings, nelson, Jones, Cobb, all broke out their second year on the team, hell wasn't it Boykin second season last year? I would call what he had last year a miny breakout.

I would like to see jones as well but I think his will be more of a 2013 Boykin breakout, no a real breakout to write home about.

My breakout prediction will be a little off beat. My prediction is that the run defense will not be as bad as some rightfully fear it will be. This will be because raji has a second breakout season, Boyd proves to be all the big body run stuffer Pickett was and Burnett, Clinton Dix and Hyde all play the run so well it masks the weaknesses of hawk and jones enough for them to be passable.
Nelson had 22 catches in his 2nd year. It was his 4th year he caught 68 for over 1200 yds.
James jones' 2nd year was his worst as a pro. It was his 6th year when it finally clicked for him and he caught 14 Tds.
Jennings was good as a rookie, but his stats don't show that. It was his 2nd year when he took another jump and id break out.
Randall Cobb definitely broke out in his 2nd year.

There is not much track record of Packer WRs excelling as rookies, but that is in part because we have been blessed with lot of talent there over the last decade or so.

That being said, Adams is easily the most NFL ready WR the Packers have drafted in a long time. He is already polished and very capable. The only thing holding him back is there there are at least 3 talented receivers already with experience with Rodgers on the team. Maybe a 4th if you throw in Chris Harper, who hasn't caught an NFL pass, but has been practicing with Rodgers.

I think Adams will get on the field more than you would expect with 4 WR sets and mop up duty when we are already up by 60 in the first half. (Yep - I'm expecting big things). I will guess 30 rec 260 yds 5 TDs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't really understand what you're trying to say. I don't think anyone with a clue is suggesting he'll ben an outside player, likely only a 4/5 technique guy (whatever you want to call head up on the offensive tackle.)
Agreed and of course he’s got to earn it. I also think the Packers playing more one-gap as Trgo was quoted as saying in the jsonline story on the DL will help Datone.
In the first five seasons under coordinator Dom Capers, Trgovac coached more of a read-and-react than penetrating style of line play. Will the Packers employ more of an up-the-field, one-gap scheme than its more common two-gap look? "Maybe a little bit," said Trgovac. "But we still have that (two-gap) in our system. And we didn't two-gap as much as people think we two-gapped. We'll have to see what (Capers) gravitates to more."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ers-defensive-line-b99315437z1-268489612.html
Regarding his body type, that sounds completely wrong. His body type is pretty much the 3-4 DE ideal (pending what his playing weight is this year.)
There's another thread in which someone posted the height and weights of some of the better 3-4 DEs in the league and IIRC Datone's were right in line but again, he's got to earn it and I hope he added strength and some good weight because he has to improve vs. the run.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't really understand what you're trying to say. I don't think anyone with a clue is suggesting he'll be an outside player, likely only a 4/5 technique guy (whatever you want to call head up on the offensive tackle.)

Regarding "in relief of," I doubt that. Obviously just minicamps thus far, but he and Daniels were both the starters in nickel.

Typo on my part. He'll line up at the 4 tech, not the 5. The 5 is "head up on the offensive tackle" and what we play our SDE. I don't think he can play that. If he plays Base, which I seriously doubt he ever will, it'll be as the 4 tech on WDE.

I'm expecting Raji and Daniels as the starters in Nickel, but I wouldn mind seeing Jones there so long as he keeps his weight up.

He does need to keep his weight up, but his body is anything but ideal. He doesn't have enough in the pants to play in Base, but we don't play a lot of Base so that's not a huge issue. I doubt he ever will because the team won't want to mess with his agility.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typo on my part. He'll line up at the 4 tech, not the 5. The 5 is "head up on the offensive tackle" and what we play our SDE. I don't think he can play that. If he plays Base, which I seriously doubt he ever will, it'll be as the 4 tech on WDE.

Ah. That's some of my confusion. I'd call that a 3-technique more than a 4.

He does need to keep his weight up, but his body is anything but ideal. He doesn't have enough in the pants to play in Base, but we don't play a lot of Base so that's not a huge issue. I doubt he ever will because the team won't want to mess with his agility.

Does he need to get stronger in the leg/butt area? Yeah. But he looks like a 3-4 end in every other way. His frame says, "I can carry 10-20 more pounds and I'd look good doing it." He's a more natural big guy, if that makes sense (because very few people are actually naturally that big.)

Neal was more of a 275 pound guy carrying too much weight. Good weight yes, but his frame wasn't handling it. Based purely on his current, better playing frame, I think he's a more ideal 4-3 hybrid scheme strong side end that kicks down to 3-technique in nickel.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
...If he plays Base, which I seriously doubt he ever will, it'll be as the 4 tech on WDE. ... He does need to keep his weight up, but his body is anything but ideal. He doesn't have enough in the pants to play in Base, but we don't play a lot of Base so that's not a huge issue. I doubt he ever will because the team won't want to mess with his agility.
Tyler Dunne reported when the 1s on defense first lined up today, the DL was Daniels, Raji, and Datone Jones. (With Clay at LOLB and Peppers at ROLB and Hawk and Brad Jones at ILB.) Of course they weren’t in pads and it is the first practice of TC, but it’s an indication Datone will get a shot at RDE in the base.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tyler Dunne reported when the 1s on defense first lined up today, the DL was Daniels, Raji, and Datone Jones. (With Clay at LOLB and Peppers at ROLB and Hawk and Brad Jones at ILB.) Of course they weren’t in pads and it is the first practice of TC, but it’s an indication Datone will get a shot at RDE in the base.

I actually like this line up. Three good pass rushers in base with two more that have shown flashes. I just hope Matthews and Daniels are enough beef to handle the strong side in the running game.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I actually like this line up. Three good pass rushers in base with two more that have shown flashes. I just hope Matthews and Daniels are enough beef to handle the strong side in the running game.
Lacy hit a big run on his first carry. I do not think this coincidence.3 Pass Rushers in a run stop front?

I did say it would be RDE. Can't say I like it. Seems you're correct, DJ will get more snaps than Perry afterall :p

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy hit a big run on his first carry. I do not think this coincidence.3 Pass Rushers in a run stop front?

Might be, might not be. I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened. Good play call? Someone doing the wrong thing? Really good job by the OL? And they weren't in pads...

Matthews and Peppers aren't exactly one dimensional players. And Daniels is pretty good at run defense as well.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would really like Haha Clinton-Dix to be the breakout player of 2014, but with him playing on the 2nd team rather than the 1st team throughout the OTAs and now the opening of training camp, I'm wondering whether the coaching staff hasn't already chosen Hyde as the starter opposite Burnett and more or less decided that Dix will be a situational player this year.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to dig a little deeper into our tallent pool, and pull out a real contributor this year. I would say Josh Boyd will give us a fresh set of legs in the rotation, and catch alot of O-linemen off guard. I think he will become what Mike Daniels was for us last year.

Someone who I believe is going to take Williams place here when Williams contract is up, is Davon House. Im not going to hide it. I love his physical style of play! #31 with the dreads covering the name... Its like watching Al Harris out there (when House is healthy)... Which is the question mark. IMO, House played too physical for his stature when he entered the NFL, as a 21 year old rookie. Injuries plagued him, but he shown he has what it takes to be a star CB in the NFL IMO. He's been here so long, its hard to see that he's only 25 years old. Entering his prime, and has had time to strengthen and get his strategy down... With Williams, Sheilds, and Hayward, he will not be in the mix much until one of those guys gets banged up. Then if things go as I suspect they will. He will step in and make Williams a cap casualty... I've been waiting for his breakout for 2 years now. This year its going to happen.

I think Linsley the rookie center from Ohio state is a beast curious to see of he is a keeper.

And two guys who I believed has amazing potential. Quarless and Sherrod. I believe Quarless was on his way to replacing Finley when he got hurt. Mainly because Finley has a megatron ego, and Thompson didnt see that going well IMO. Quarless was bigger, and better blocker coming out of school. Finley (since then) had actually started to become a decent blocker, but back then he was still a work in progress. Quarless showed last year he was still a average starter in his first action back from the gross knee injury. Both Sherrod and Quarless overcame injuries I considered career ending (im always skeptical on gross leg injuries like that). This shows character and work ethic that many men do not have. An ignorance to the odds. They willed themself back from the dead, and those types of men, you should never under estimate IMO. Another year removed, I think Quarless could take another huge step up and become the unquestioned starter, and a legit recieving threat again. I give Richard Rodgers just as good of odds to step in and make the plays it takes to be the starter week 1, also. The two of them gives us a two TE set that we could run or pass effectively out of. Which is an option I want, but didnt expect to have with the loss of Finley. Now should Finley come back, holy crap we are stacked at TE.

I heard Rodgers say Sherrod is finally feeling good. And this guy would be our corner stone had he not busted the leg so bad. IMO. Im guessing he will be the backup tackle. Should Bulaga or Bahktiari go down, Sherrod might step in and never give up the spot...

I also like Mulumba. He is a beast. Rotating in he will also catch some blockers off guard.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I would really like Haha Clinton-Dix to be the breakout player of 2014, but with him playing on the 2nd team rather than the 1st team throughout the OTAs and now the opening of training camp, I'm wondering whether the coaching staff hasn't already chosen Hyde as the starter opposite Burnett and more or less decided that Dix will be a situational player this year.
I too hope Clinton-Dix has a great rookie season but I like the way they are handling it. While Hyde hasn't played safety in the NFL, he's much more familiar with the defense and has a season of NFL experience under his belt. I'm sure Clinton-Dix will get every opportunity to win the job from Hyde but safety is a difficult position for a rookie. Neither Sharper, Butler, nor Collins excelled at safety in their rookie seasons. My guess - like yours - at this early date is Clinton-Dix will replace Hyde at the safety spot in sub packages as Hyde goes to cover the slot receiver. If Clinton-Dix does win the starting safety job it'll be because he deserves it and not because there aren't any other options.

Perhaps Clinton-Dix's biggest obstacle is he was drafted too high - Sharper, Butler, and Collins were all drafted in the second round! :D

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm gonna say it's Corey Linsley. I know Tretter is the projected starter but right now until I can see him stay healthy I'm not buying it, and this kid played power football in the Big Ten, I can easily see him stepping in and anchoring this line this year, and it being a much better group because of it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Someone who I believe is going to take Williams place here when Williams contract is up, is Davon House. Im not going to hide it. I love his physical style of play! #31 with the dreads covering the name... Its like watching Al Harris out there (when House is healthy)... Which is the question mark. IMO, House played too physical for his stature when he entered the NFL, as a 21 year old rookie. Injuries plagued him, but he shown he has what it takes to be a star CB in the NFL IMO. He's been here so long, its hard to see that he's only 25 years old. Entering his prime, and has had time to strengthen and get his strategy down... With Williams, Sheilds, and Hayward, he will not be in the mix much until one of those guys gets banged up. Then if things go as I suspect they will. He will step in and make Williams a cap casualty... I've been waiting for his breakout for 2 years now. This year its going to happen.

Most likely House won´t play a lot this season and I don´t see him as a breakout player or being back in 2015.

And two guys who I believed has amazing potential. Quarless and Sherrod. I believe Quarless was on his way to replacing Finley when he got hurt. Mainly because Finley has a megatron ego, and Thompson didnt see that going well IMO. Quarless was bigger, and better blocker coming out of school. Finley (since then) had actually started to become a decent blocker, but back then he was still a work in progress. Quarless showed last year he was still a average starter in his first action back from the gross knee injury. Both Sherrod and Quarless overcame injuries I considered career ending (im always skeptical on gross leg injuries like that). This shows character and work ethic that many men do not have. An ignorance to the odds. They willed themself back from the dead, and those types of men, you should never under estimate IMO. Another year removed, I think Quarless could take another huge step up and become the unquestioned starter, and a legit recieving threat again.

Quarless faces a lot of competition at the TE position and it will be tough for him to hold on to the starting job, especially as Rodgers doesn´t seem to have great chemistry with him. Sherrod didn´t show a lot during his rookie season and I´m not convinced he will be able to bounce back from that horrific injury.

Members online

Latest posts