Break out player 2014

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colt Lyerla ~ I think he seizes this opportunity to shine in preseason and is just too good to keep off of the field. Success breeds confidence, both in himself and from AR, and he becomes a bonafide offensive weapon. Disclaimer: according to my wife I've been wrong before, a lot. :)

Emergency backup break-out player should I be wrong above ... Micah Hyde.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's D. Jones or Perry but I suspect it will be Tretter or Bostick. I'll officially go with Tretter.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones. He has the tools and the attitude and he is going to have a great opportunity. He is going to surprise a lot of people.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones. I think the kid was humbled by last season and he will be out to prove everyone wrong from snap 1. He has the ability to dominate and the fact that he has been publicly critiquing his game shows me that he is well aware that he needs to work on some things and will do what needs to be done to do so. On top of that, having a guy like Peppers in the locker room will only help a guy like DJ. I will be shocked if this kid doesn't show up and straight ball out this year. I am looking for 8-11 sacks and many a game changing plays this upcoming season from Datone!

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Could be Datone, hopefully we'll see something from Perry this year, but I think the breakout will be at the WR position. I think Jarret Boykin is going to have a big year in a big way. Showed us a lot last season, and he looked GREAT in OTA's. Looks like he and Rodgers are really in tune together.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Agreed with Datone. Having him tutor under Peppers and become the heir apparent would be incredible.

However, to add some other names into the mix:

Would be nice to see Morgan Burnett have a stellar year.

Or, how about BJ Raji return to 2010 form? But this wouldn't really be coined a "breakout", I guess.

Or, Mike Daniels.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Can a rookie have a breakout year? Can a player who had a breakout year and then regressed like Raji, have another breakout year? :D No matter the answer to those questions, I'm pretty sure Datone qualifies and I expect him to have a breakout year. (BTW, I think Daniels' breakout season was last year.) Whoever it is, I hope it's on defense - and I hope there are so many we "have to" argue about who had the biggest breakout. If a rookie qualifies I have a feeling it'll be Rodgers. They're making a huge bet on Tretter having a breakout season and he better.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whomever plays center. Rogers might get killed if we don't have one.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going with Brad Jones since he's never really had a great year. I think that he showed something last year before his injuries and will have even more opportunity to produce with Peppers on the other wing and more support behind him.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm I will go with Jones, but I am terrible at picking this usually
I also agree with Jones. Need a youngster to put the foot on the accelerator and create turnover opportunities and/or free up space to have others do the same.

Another thought without a player name. Would be great to have whoever returns kicks/punts have a breakout year.

Whether it's turnovers or the return game, always great to see Rodgers and the "O" have a short field.

Hope all stay reasonably healthy.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duhuan Harris and Boykin. I really like Harris he could hit some home runs with Lacy pounding on the D.

Casey Hayward for the D.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Boyd and Perry. DJ Jones is a Nickel guy at best and more likely a Dime guy a la Mike Neal, and Capers underutilized Perry the last two years by making him primarily a run defender. Big Boyd is going to make Pickett irrelevant for those 20% or so we play Base.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Duhuan Harris and Boykin. I really like Harris he could hit some home runs with Lacy pounding on the D. Casey Hayward for the D.
Harris may get a chance to be a difference maker as a KOR. And Abbrederis may get that chance on PR. I think Hayward already had his breakout year as a rookie, so like Raji, he'd have to be having another one.
DJ Jones is a Nickel guy at best and more likely a Dime guy a la Mike Neal...
IMO Datone Jones will get a shot at starting at DE in the base and rushing the passer inside. I think they are counting on him much more than you indicate here.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm hoping it is Chris Harper. I would like nothing more then to see him have a nice game against the team that drafted him in the opener and out-physical Sherman. Although Devante Adams is a rookie, I think he has a shot too.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams has no shot imo, Jennings, nelson, Jones, Cobb, all broke out their second year on the team, hell wasn't it Boykin second season last year? I would call what he had last year a miny breakout.

I would like to see jones as well but I think his will be more of a 2013 Boykin breakout, no a real breakout to write home about.

My breakout prediction will be a little off beat. My prediction is that the run defense will not be as bad as some rightfully fear it will be. This will be because raji has a second breakout season, Boyd proves to be all the big body run stuffer Pickett was and Burnett, Clinton Dix and Hyde all play the run so well it masks the weaknesses of hawk and jones enough for them to be passable.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
IMO Datone Jones will get a shot at starting at DE in the base and rushing the passer inside. I think they are counting on him much more than you indicate here.
I highly doubt that. Jones doesn't have the anchor to play DE in our 7 man front, and (granted the ankle was a thing) his run defense was awful last year, especially when his weight dropped. If he does get a shot at Base DE, it'll be as the 4 tech, not the 7, and I'd put cash down on that. I think rushing the passer is what he's good at, and rushing the passer is what they'll rely on him to do: mainly in relief of Daniels in Nickel, and as a starter in the Dime packages. Playing the run is a serious weakness for his body type, not just his game.

Members online

Latest posts