Brandon Jackson

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im just going over some mock drafts and i just get the feeling that TT panicked abit last year after he missed out on Marshawn Lynch. If we didnt have Jackson then picking up someone like Stewart, Jones or Rice to backup Grant would make perfect sense. I know hindsight is great and at the time we didnt have Grant and Jackson has years ahead of him to develop but it just seems abit crummy that we cant get excited about this very deep RB class because we are already stocked at the position. What do you all think? Right move by TT or not?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
only time will tell whether or not Bjack was worth the pick.

but i dont think it was a Management panic situation. I dont feel like the Packers organization freaks out at all on draft day. I think they have their proverbial **** together and know what they are getting before they make the selection.

Bjack has looked fairly decent in the few showings he has gotten. Hopefully Ryan Grant is as good as advertised and we will only need Bjack in a situational role. Id be very happy with that.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far it looks like a bad move, but possibly things could turn around for Jackson this year. Last year there were a lot of injuries at RB during the preseason, and I thought McCarthy overworked Grant, which resulted in him playing badly and eventually getting injured himself. From there, it was an uphill battle just to get back into the rotation.

I would be pleased if Jackson could at least establish himself as a third down back this year and possibly even split time with Ryan Grant or fill in for him if he gets injured. He's got speed, and he's got some moves. It may be more of a confidence thing. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
IMO, Jackson ran with way too much hesitation last year, like he was unsure of the play or himself. That may have been due to injuries and missing time or just overwhelmed all together.

Don't kid yourself though, in my opinion we will be adding a back early on in this draft, the class is too talented not to. First three rounds, IMO, will have a Olineman, a RB, a CB/S and a QB.. yes I think we will pull the trigger on a QB pretty early on.. remember the name Josh Johnson.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what, I thought he sucked early on, ran like a total bag of wuss but towards the last few games of the season he really ran with a burst... It's like Ryan Grant was showing them HOW to run with zone blocking because you know he has the talent to do it, just watch some Nebraska film

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I really don't think having Jackson is going to stop the Packers from selecting another RB if they like one enough. Time will tell on Jackson. Early in the year he wasn't that good at all but I noticed near the end of the year he continued to improve.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
only time will tell whether or not Bjack was worth the pick.

but i dont think it was a Management panic situation. I dont feel like the Packers organization freaks out at all on draft day. I think they have their proverbial **** together and know what they are getting before they make the selection.

Bjack has looked fairly decent in the few showings he has gotten. Hopefully Ryan Grant is as good as advertised and we will only need Bjack in a situational role. Id be very happy with that.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what, I thought he sucked early on, ran like a total bag of wuss but towards the last few games of the season he really ran with a burst... It's like Ryan Grant was showing them HOW to run with zone blocking because you know he has the talent to do it, just watch some Nebraska film

Yeah, he looked really good running behind Grant those last couple of games. Hopefully he can fill that role, or do even more, for the next couple of seasons.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ya lost me at "Ted" and "Panicked". Those go together as well as oil and water my friend. :)

I liked what I saw from Brandon at the END of the season. He showed some quickness and some nice moves. My feeling right now is that he's not an every down player.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it's not like trom did not want to draft lynch or peterson but they were pretty much gone anyways ... justin harrell is a monster ppl you will see ... and i also think this is year will be the year to see how the RB situation will be ...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Well it's not like trom did not want to draft lynch or peterson but they were pretty much gone anyways ... justin harrell is a monster ppl you will see ... and i also think this is year will be the year to see how the RB situation will be ...

How do you know that trom did or did not want to draft a specific player? Did trom let you view his draft board?

:p

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, Jackson was pretty raw Junior coming out of college considering he was part of a RB by committee group at Nebraska and didn't get as much playing time. You definitely saw some improvement from him over the course of last year and I think you'll see even more as we get into '08. He was pretty much a project back, so it didn't really shock me he started off slow last year and he'll be 23 in October.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im just going over some mock drafts and i just get the feeling that TT panicked abit last year after he missed out on Marshawn Lynch. If we didnt have Jackson then picking up someone like Stewart, Jones or Rice to backup Grant would make perfect sense. I know hindsight is great and at the time we didnt have Grant and Jackson has years ahead of him to develop but it just seems abit crummy that we cant get excited about this very deep RB class because we are already stocked at the position. What do you all think? Right move by TT or not?

Jackson looked good in the last quarter of the season. Wynn looks like he has potential. I think if TT drafts a RB, it won't be because of Jackson, but because we don't have enough faith in Wynn (depth). I don't see us keeping Morency, Wynn, and Herron. One of those 3 will go.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I'm in NO way giving up on Jackson. Like was already stated, he's young, and showed flashes towards the end of the year.
I even have hopes for Wynn. He had some good plays, and if he stays in shape i think he can be a force.
Grant, Jackson and Wynn could be a good combo.
Morency i think is gone, and Herron might be gone too. Yes, before his injury Herron was a good 3rd down back, catching passes out of the backfield. I just don't see him as being any more then that. I think Jackson can fill that roll.

OP
OP
Tiger

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I'm in NO way giving up on Jackson. Like was already stated, he's young, and showed flashes towards the end of the year.
I even have hopes for Wynn. He had some good plays, and if he stays in shape i think he can be a force.
Morency i think is gone, and Herron might be gone too. Yes, before his injury Herron was a good 3rd down back, catching passes out of the backfield. I just don't see him as being any more then that. I think Jackson can fill that roll.

perhaps ill add another angle, would you take Jackson over any non First Round running back in this years class? I'd like to think Jackson will be successful in GB but i just dont think he has a very high ceiling compared to other guys. Thoughts?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

perhaps ill add another angle, would you take Jackson over any non First Round running back in this years class? I'd like to think Jackson will be successful in GB but i just dont think he has a very high ceiling compared to other guys. Thoughts?
Thats a good question.......as everyone knows, the draft is a crap shoot. If you draft on hype, you might just get burned. I think this coming season will answer alot of the questions on TT taking Jackson. I haven't seen enough to compare him to the rest of the RB's. After the coming year, i think we will know the answer. If some guy is available to TT, and he thinks it would be an upgrade, i could see him drafting another RB.

OP
OP
Tiger

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
cheesey said:

Thats a good question.......as everyone knows, the draft is a crap shoot. If you draft on hype, you might just get burned. I think this coming season will answer alot of the questions on TT taking Jackson. I haven't seen enough to compare him to the rest of the RB's. After the coming year, i think we will know the answer. If some guy is available to TT, and he thinks it would be an upgrade, i could see him drafting another RB.

I get the feeling TT and MM will always give "their guys" the biggest shot, why else would Colledge have played so many games? I really cant see them taking a RB now before round 5 or 6.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cheesey - I agree with you about Grant, Jackson, and Wynn. However, I disagree that we'll lose both Morency and Herron. We'll keep 4 RBs. Wynn, Morency, and Herron - one of them goes. I'm thinking it will be Morency or Herron. Wynn - if he has matured, he has a spot on the team. I think the problem with Wynn is more mental than physical. I'm not implying he's dumb, but rather he isn't nearly as ambitious as someone like Donald Driver.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have pretty much given up on tying to predict GB drafts. I would not put it past TT to bring in a RB early if the right player slides or is available.

I don't see any current RB being a lock at the starting job. And I sort of laugh that opinions are that Grant has it sewn up and everyone else is fighting for a backup role. After not even a full season people are ready to throw the job to Grant and write off Jackson and Wynn after their rookie seasons.

What I remember from the early part of the season is that Defenses were in the backfield on, what seemed the majority of the running plays. When the running game became effective the OLine was making good holes. I think the starting job for RB is going to be a pretty intense battle during training camp and pre-season.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have pretty much given up on tying to predict GB drafts. I would not put it past TT to bring in a RB early if the right player slides or is available.

I don't see any current RB being a lock at the starting job. And I sort of laugh that opinions are that Grant has it sewn up and everyone else is fighting for a backup role. After not even a full season people are ready to throw the job to Grant and write off Jackson and Wynn after their rookie seasons.

What I remember from the early part of the season is that Defenses were in the backfield on, what seemed the majority of the running plays. When the running game became effective the OLine was making good holes. I think the starting job for RB is going to be a pretty intense battle during training camp and pre-season.

He obviously can't rest on his laurels, but I don't see what else the guy could do to secure the starting spot beyond leading the NFL in rushing over an 11 game period and setting the Packers playoff rushing record. We aren't talking about 1 or 2 good games here.

Grant would have to completely fall off a cliff or someone else would have to take a massive jump forward for him to not be the starter. Based on how well he played, I don't see how anyone could reasonably think he won't be the starter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts