Brandon Ghee

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Ghee - CB - Wake Forest

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCmcOSXs8Jc]YouTube - Brandon Ghee vs. Boston College[/ame]

Brandon Ghee Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Great height/length and build
Explosive speed
Good athlete with nice change of direction
Great red zone defender - protects end zone
Solid timing on jump balls
Very good in run support
Not afraid to take on a block
Physical and will deliver big hits
Outstanding at anticipating routes; instinctive
Quick hips
Can turn and run with fast receivers
Comfortable in man or zone
Highly confident
Very intriguing upside

Weaknesses:
A little raw mechanically with footwork
Doesn't always appropriately turn head back to ball
Struggles to disengage
Should be more of a playmaker
Sometimes lacks focus; inconsistent
Will get too high out of backpedal

Summary: Ghee has some fixable attributes to his game, but he is a high upside player, and will likely be a better pro than college player. If he is impressive at the Senior Bowl and in workouts, it wouldn't shock me if he is a first-round draft pick. Ghee has some intriguing physical tools to work with and can match up against the bigger receivers in the league. I love athletic, confident corners, but there is no doubt Ghee needs to be more polished at the next level.

Player Comparison: Jonathan Joseph. Joseph, like Ghee, has the same size and athleticism coming out of college, but he was also a little raw. Now, he is one of the better corners in the AFC.

cbssports.com analysis:
Read & React: Marginal read-and-react skills. Aggressive making plays on the ball, but too often doesn't make the play when it appears he should. Better hitter than pass defender to this point.

Man Coverage: Looks the part and has good straight-line speed. Good agility and balance in coverage. Can flip his hips and mirror receivers. Not yet the sum of his parts. Faster than he is quick and will give up too much cushion, too often allowing the reception rather than going for the pass breakup.

Zone Coverage: Good zone coverage defender. Prefers to go for the big hit rather than making an attempt on the ball for the interception. Physical defender who is aggressive in his hand punch at the line of scrimmage and isn't afraid to battle with receivers throughout the route.

Closing/Recovery: Good lateral agility and has an explosive burst to close when needed. Competes as the ball arrives and has the long arms and quick hands to knock passes away before a receiver can secure it. True defensive back hands but has only one interception in 22 starts (17 passes broken up).

Run Support: Aggressive in run support. Quickly gets through receiver blocks and is willing to stick his head into the action with the big boys on his way to the runner. Good open field hitter who flashes heavy-hitting ability.

Tackling: Big hitter who times his hits well. Lowers his shoulder into the ballcarrier and can jar the ball loose. Can improve wrapping up as a tackler, as NFL receivers will be better able to absorb hits and keep their feet.
Intangibles: Was surrounded by a great deal of talent and will be relied upon to improve considerably as a senior. Missed the 2007 season serving an academic suspension. Missed the 2009 spring practice after suffering a sprained knee on the first day. Missed two games in '09 due to a sprained ankle.

NFL Comparison: Vontae Davis

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't particularly thrilled with what the video showed being only one game, but I agree with the first analysis of his game. He's raw but I like his upside, especially with a good DB's coach and defensive coordinator.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't particularly thrilled with what the video showed being only one game, but I agree with the first analysis of his game. He's raw but I like his upside, especially with a good DB's coach and defensive coordinator.
I hate it when people say he's got a good upside. I can understand the concept, but if someone is getting drafted in the first round .......he needs to be on the field ASAP and not be much of a project. I think the ....."upside" guys are the ones picked later on.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya but Ghee won't go first round, he will probably be a late second (hopefully our late second). I watched a lot of his games, especially the year before this last one, where he had most of his confidence and he really shined stepping in for the departed Alphonso Smith.

Members online

Latest posts