Brad Jones & the Draft

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of people and getting on TT because he did not draft a OLB. I think there is a good reason why. TT and the Packers must know something, BJ had numbers at the end of the season that everyone had hoped in Kampman. I think they might have the solution at OLB and rotating Chillar in will be huge. They could use more depth but that can come in a FA rookie signing. I think the Packers had a decent draft. Added alot of depth and got a OT that could be the anchor to the Packers' line quicker than any of us thought.

I am pretty pumped for the season. Instead of complaining about Neal and other picks I think I am going to look at the positives here. Starks was a sick pick also. Had he not blown out his shoulder he coulda been a mid rounder. I think TT did a great job adding depth and two or three starters could have come out of the weekend which is pretty phenomenal.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Nick Barnett is going to be playing outside a little this season too. Plus rumors have been floating around about some kind of free agent signing. No ideas on the particulars, and all of this is hearsay so take it as you will, but supposedly TT has dropped some hints.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really wasn't as worried about the OLB spot as everyone else. I really like Brad Jones and think he can start opposite of Clay Matthews. To draft one for depth, sure that would be nice, but I didn't think it was imperative. Brad Jones is gonna be much more improved this season, and we will be fine at that spot.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it Brad Jones???

I'm not worried about him. I'm worried about who's behind him and CM3. I don't trust Poppinga or Thompson to be anything...

We need depth. TT has build depth everywhere now, except CB and OLB...

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it Brad Jones???

I'm not worried about him. I'm worried about who's behind him and CM3. I don't trust Poppinga or Thompson to be anything...

We have a few players coming back from injuries, so we should be fine at CB as long as everyone doesn't get hurt again. CB was just an unlucky position for us last year.

I take it your not too comfortable with Chillar playing OLB? I'm also hopeful Obiozor steps up. He has too cool of a name not to. lol

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a few players coming back from injuries, so we should be fine at CB as long as everyone doesn't get hurt again. CB was just an unlucky position for us last year.

I take it your not too comfortable with Chillar playing OLB? I'm also hopeful Obiozor steps up. He has too cool of a name not to. lol

Injuries could ruin the season, and Jones may regress this season like a lot of sophomores. Players with serious knee injuries usually take 2 years to recover fully, so I don't expect Harris to be the player he was this year, or maybe ever. Obiozor has shown some flashes and may well step up this year. Someone on this forum mentioned the need for an inside rush, and that may be what Thompson was thinking in this draft.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget that this offseason isn't done yet. There is still a possibility of a trade before the start of the season. There is a disgruntled Outside Linebacker in San Diego and guess what one of our OL is still in Cali training. I'm just saying!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries could ruin the season, and Jones may regress this season like a lot of sophomores. Players with serious knee injuries usually take 2 years to recover fully, so I don't expect Harris to be the player he was this year, or maybe ever. Obiozor has shown some flashes and may well step up this year. Someone on this forum mentioned the need for an inside rush, and that may be what Thompson was thinking in this draft.
Yeah, I think our biggest problem last year was the inside pressure. Not the sacks per se, but the collapse of the pocket. OLB doesn't collapses the pocket, it's the DL that does.

I'm hopeful for Obiozor, but what if CM3 goes down? We're doomed.

And CB, I think S was a much more pressing need. But do we really want Bell or Bush on the field? I think not.

We have some young guys in Pat Lee, Will Blackmon and Underwood who could step up at CB. But it's not a guarantee...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am concerned about depth at the OLB, I like the starters (Jones/Mathews), Poppinga and Obiozor are ok with the possibility of Oviozor becoming that diamond in the ruff.

As far as Chillar playing OLB, I am not for it and would rather see him getting most of the snaps next to Barnett, while Hawk spends his time on the bench. We need speed at all the LBs positions, Hawk is just too slow for a 3-4 defense and maybe for the NFL.

Hawk at this point is an expensive insurance policy and brings depth to the position. Would not surprise me to see Chillar the starter at the positon.

OP
OP
dansz15

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it Brad Jones???

Yea lol it is sorry I wasn't paying attention when I wrote it and thinking about depth and Chillar must have crossed my mind embarassing mistake for a huge Packer fan :nono:

Anyway... I agree that Jones will be fine, in fact I think he will accel at the other side opposite of CM3. I think that if the coaches let Bishop get in there they can throw some different packages around and rotate some guys and resting them. That would be huge. I think that Bishop is talented and Chillar will be a good backup and coverage type player. Plus with all those incentives in his contract I hope he really steps up and performs.

I actually think OLB was not in the worries or needs for the draft... Safety was addressed and not gonna lie, Bulaga is an exciting pick :).

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the concerns for drafting an OLB, but I can honestly say that we fell into some bad luck in the draft. Koa Misi who I had as a 2-3rd round pick got gobbled up instantaneously by the Dolphins, Sergio Kindle shortly after went to the Ravens, the ******** cardinals took Schofield in the 4th even though he should've gone in the 6th or 7th and pretty much every other linebacker that TT was looking at got completely swept away.

Members online

Latest posts