Bounty Rule

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bounty rule is a violation of the NFL. The Saints got busted for using the bounty rule & have been doing so for the past 3 years. The owner new nothing of it & Greg Williams the defensive cord. got it going. In 2009 it reached $50,000. $1500 if the saints knocked out a player from the offense & $1000 of they had to be carted off. Not a Vikes fan but Brett did take some unnecessary hits in their playoff game w/the Saints. Roger Goddell said the Saints will be punished. I personally see a fine of at least $250,000. The max is 500K which was given to the Pats when they got caught cheating

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
The bounty rule is a violation of the NFL. The Saints got busted for using the bounty rule & have been doing so for the past 3 years. The owner new nothing of it & Greg Williams the defensive cord. got it going. In 2009 it reached $50,000. $1500 if the saints knocked out a player from the offense & $1000 of they had to be carted off. Not a Vikes fan but Brett did take some unnecessary hits in their playoff game w/the Saints. Roger Goddellri said the Saints will be punished. I personally see a fine of at least $250,000. The max is 500K which was given to the Pats when they got caught cheating

The Patriots also had to forfeit their first round draft pick.

Being the Saints already had given up this years pick to New England, they'll probably have to give up next years first rounder too, maybe even more. This is a much more serious issue than spygate, and the policies in place for player safety they are going to come down ******* the Saints.

Greg Williams and Sean Payton will in all likelihood be fined, Williams will probably face suspension, and the players involved will probably get fined too

OP
OP
Vltrophy

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though the Saints owner knew nothing of this(I don't know the man so I can't vouch for his integrity)& even if that's true he'll still be fined b/c it's his org. It should come out of Payton's & Williams pocket including their fine as well

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this isn't directly Green Bay related, but in a round about way it is.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/gregg-williams-apologizes-for-terrible-mistake/
Gregg Williams apologizes for “terrible mistake”

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 2, 2012, 5:27 PM EST

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has publicly apologized, hours after the NFL announced that Williams had violated league rules by orchestrating a system of bounties during his time on the staff of the Saints.
“I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the ‘pay for performance’ program while I was with the Saints,” Williams said. “It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again.”

Also ran it in Washington too.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/report-williams-had-bounty-system-in-washington-too/

Makes me REALLY happy that the Packers didn't hire this buffoon 3 years ago. I wanted him because his scheme fit the Packers personal, but WOW...makes you wonder if the reason he didn't is there where rumors about it that Ted and Mike heard and didn't want to associate with him.

Reaction score
not suprising, They whoop'd up on Brett, had a ton of late hits on Steve Smith, but he's steve smith so it kind of does a balance to some weird gravity thing out there in the universe that makes all things right in the world.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There should be record fines, Williams should be suspended the season and Payton should be gone half. They also should lose a 1st round pick, and maybe a 2nd 1st rounder the next year.

It doesn't matter if other teams do it, all that matters is the Saints were caught and now should be made an example of.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, look up Peyton and the Redskins game of 2006. In that game I think nearing halftime Peyton was literally bent backwards like a pretzel once or twice and hit hard. The entire dome was dead silent as he was on the ground. He came back in the second half and killed em but Dungy always said Peyton's neck issues started with those hits against the Redskins.
That POS effected the Colts forever and it makes me almost sick the Saints won the SB now.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
To me right now, this is a lot worse then spygate.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Still can't take away their Super Bowl win.

I love how anytime someone "roughs" up a quarterback like the Saints did to Favre and Warner in 2009, we have to hear how "dirty" and how "bad" they are for being a mean defense and trying to murder the quarterback.

History proved, that (both) Kurt Warner and Brett Favre played horrible under pressure.
Not a Patriots fan at all, but when they played Warner in the Super Bowl, they totally put him off his marker by physically pounding him early in that game to the point when the Rams finally got their stuff together to challenge them in that Super Bowl, it was too late.

From watching Favre with the Packers, you cannot deny if you knocked him around, and got physical with him, it took him out totally out of his game and he started playing badly.
That playoff game against the Vikings back in 2003 or 2004 where he threw 4 INT's that just proved it. The Vikings sacked him early and were knocking the crap out of him, in return he starts over throwing WR's, and throwing stupid interceptions all in the wrong areas.

But the Saints are not the only ones to play the Bounty game.

Buddy Ryan and the Eagles did it from the late 1980's to early 1990's, and no one really cared. Buddy was a *****, but back then no one cared because the commissioner wasn't worried about making rules to favor the offense, that was them good ole days of real football where we didn't have 10 300 passing yard games every week.

I'm sure the Saints are not the only one that does it, but they surely get thrown under the bus. If the NFL wants to play fair, they better also investigate every other team, because I'm sure it's not just the Saints. 1 out of 32 teams in the league cannot be the only ones to play the bounty game.

I support the Saints, and I agree it was wrong, but I also thing it's being blown out of proportion. Favre is retired, and that's all I have heard today is how the Vikings could have won a Super Bowl had the Saints not tried to murder him out there. But do you see Favre himself crying and saying something? No, he's retired and don't even play anymore. If that made a difference, you might as well go back to 1990 when the Giants were out to murder Joe Montana in the NFC Championship game, and successfully took Joe out of the game. Montana suffered 2 broken ribs, broken elbow, and a broken finger. Giants went on to win the Super Bowl that year, but no one tries to go back and take that away from them, about all the late hits and how physically challenging they were in that game. No one even cared back then.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Why is the Saints the only ones singled out here?

Is the NFL going to penalize the Ravens for OPENLY ADMITTING to playing the bounty game to injure Hines Ward and Rashall Mendenhall?

And if the Ravens put bounties on the Steelers, do you not think a hard hitting, aggressive, mean defense like Pittsburgh isn't going to do bounties in return?

If you're going to single New Orleans out, you better also single out the rest of the teams that do it and make it into a big deal. They win the Super Bowl, and in return they have the Overtime rules changed because Vikings fans were not happy. And now 2 years later, they want to continue to drag mud on them.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Darren Sharper came out and said it was only for Int, Sacks, etc...yeah right :cautious::rolleyes:

He also threw us under the bus and claimed when he was here it was done too.

Yes this is much worse than spygate and as a result I imagine penalties will be much harsher than spygate as well considering how this coincides with player safety. I imagine Fines, Suspensions and loss of draft picks.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Why is the Saints the only ones singled out here?

Is the NFL going to penalize the Ravens for OPENLY ADMITTING to playing the bounty game to injure Hines Ward and Rashall Mendenhall?

And if the Ravens put bounties on the Steelers, do you not think a hard hitting, aggressive, mean defense like Pittsburgh isn't going to do bounties in return?

If you're going to single New Orleans out, you better also single out the rest of the teams that do it and make it into a big deal. They win the Super Bowl, and in return they have the Overtime rules changed because Vikings fans were not happy. And now 2 years later, they want to continue to drag mud on them.

I think this could open up a huge can of worms for other teams and incidents too. Not just with the Saints.

Yes, I also thought of the Ravens/Steelers. They have done this with each other before I believe. Then again at times people giggle and look away from that rivalry "Heee heee.....it's only the AFC North rivals what do you expect?". You know those are the hard hitting defensive power houses so sometimes they let it slide.

I know and you know the Steelers have been pretty damn dirty in the past too. I actually always called them the dirtiest team in the league.

And the Titans were dirty too for several years and have a few incidents themselves.

I always disliked Williams though.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

You know Jules ... the pictures of Brady you're providing are getting more and more scary .... love that sig line pic. You're a sick, sick person and I admire you immensely. :)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Frankly, this kind of thing has been talked about for decades...usually never by active players.

In response to Bogart's defense of the Saints' and his obvious belief that the Saints are being unduly persecuted ... all I can say is that the proverbial line in the sand HAS to be drawn somewhere. The ENOUGH-IS-ENOUGH point. I recall after the Pack played the Saints in last season's opener that more than one of the Packers' linemen (offense and defense) complained that the Saints were dirty -- repeated chop blocks and the like -- even away from the play.

Having been the target of a tandem crackback and chop at the same time also away from the play ... I'll tell you, it's conscious and malicious. It was embarrassing to be a Packers fan during the Gregg years...I despised it then and despise it now and guess what, there is NO defense of this kind of sh*t. They get slammed for it ... GOOD. If the Packers pulled this sh*t and they get slammed for it... GOOD.

Competitors don't TRY to injure other competitors. Criminals do...and white paint lines do not give them a free pass.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think this could open up a huge can of worms for other teams and incidents too. Not just with the Saints.

Yes, I also thought of the Ravens/Steelers. They have done this with each other before I believe. Then again at times people giggle and look away from that rivalry "Heee heee.....it's only the AFC North rivals what do you expect?". You know those are the hard hitting defensive power houses so sometimes they let it slide.

I know and you know the Steelers have been pretty damn dirty in the past too. I actually always called them the dirtiest team in the league.

And the Titans were dirty too for several years and have a few incidents themselves.

I always disliked Williams though.

The Giants should be investigated for faking injuries to stop drives, since there was such a big up roar about it....No investigation, the NFL don't care when it's one of their favorites doing it.

And that's why the Steelers never will get investigated either. They beat the Saints on a scale of 10 to 3 when it comes to being a dirty team.But Pittsburgh has one of the biggest band wagons in sports through out the United States, and they have always been a favorite team to the league. There is no other team in the last 10 years that has more bad calls go their way than Pittsburgh.

I've heard all the "hurricane Goodell" jokes yesterday, and how the Saints are a sympathy team and all that non sense, but if anyone, and I mean ANYONE says they should lose their Super Bowl for being a vicious defense, I wonder how the Steelers even got rings against the Seahawks when the refs basically handed it to them. The NFL has never stopped defending all the crap calls in that game that ruined the Seahawks chance of winning. I'm sure Cowher mailed every official a championship ring for that game. Bounties or not, the Saints won those playoff games fair and square, and why are the only ones that get singled out for beating up on Favre? Had it been Chicago or Pittsburgh that sacked him over and over and beat up on him, they would have been throwing the offensive line under the bus (who is to blame for not protecting the quarterback) but no, they only single out the Saints, cause Roger Goodell hates them. He even changed the overtime rules in the playoffs as a kick in the mouth that he wanted a Vikings/Colts Super Bowl. At least the Saints earned their rings, and didn't have the refs hand them a Super Bowl like the Steelers did

I think this is the 35% big deal and 65% media wanting to throw them under the bus.

2009 - ranked 10th overall in penalties, averaging 5.7 penalties a game
2010 - ranked 15th overall in penalties, still averaging 5.7 a game.
2011 - ranked 10th overall in penalties, still averaging 5.7 a game.

Ranked 18th in Unnecessary roughness calls for the last 3 seasons under Gregg Williams.

I mean that is HUGE numbers for a team that is supposed to be the dirtiest in the league according to the media. That's not Detroit Lions numbers or Oakland Raiders numbers as far as penalties goes.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, that Loomis, Peyton and Williams were all told by Benson to stop the program. they didn't. I don't have a problem with the overall idea of a incentive for making LEGAL plays, like INT's, Sacks, etc as long as it's between players and the coaching staff isn't encouraging it. The Packer's WR's do it, O-linemen get dinners and such from the QB when they play well. The problem is that these "bounties" were out to hurt players. Pressure and playing hard is one thing...out to knock guys out of a guy...is just bull.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fining is too good for them.
For a multimillion dollar business who no doubt makes the large fine amount in no amount of time, a few hundred thousand dollar fine is just a slap on the wrist.
If I intentionally hurt someone in a workplace, will I just get fined?
Well, maybe and some jail time.
But I'm sure I'd get fired.
And that's what they should do.
Fire the players and coaches and any other staff, take away their pension and never allow them to ever have another job in the NFL.
Take away the SB win and give it to the Colts.
Take all the rings, melt them down and make them into new rings for the Colts.
Same thing with the trophy.

There needs to be a much, much stiffer penalty that will send shockwaves to all other 31 teams to prevent this thing from ever happening again.
Don't be surprised at all if comes up again in a few years.

I also wonder how much Sean Peyton knew.

Anyway, F the Saints.
I'll never like them again.
May they return to their losing days of shame again.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no doubt placing bounties on an opposing teams players has been around since the game of football began.

There is also no doubt players go out and try and knock the opposing stars out of the game. That's part of the strategy.

But where you have to draw the line is players receiving a financial incentive to INJURE rather than merely hurt a guy. One player looking to potentially ruin another's livelihood for a small penance payday. And that's what bothers me the most about this story. You'd think players would have enough respect for one another not to try and destroy someone's career for a $1,000 or $1,500 bonus.

I don't care if every other team in the NFL is running a bounty program. Like Spygate, I'm not naive enough to believe the Saints were the only organization guilty of violating the rules. What matters though is they got caught, and the NFL has rules that expressly prohibit placing bounties on each other. In fact, I recall the league contacting the Packers regarding this very topic just a few years ago, after remarks about giving the defensive players gift cards to Best Buy if they could keep Adrian Peterson to less than 100 yards rushing were made public. In an age where player safety is at the forefront of the NFL's agenda, you can bet the punishment will be harsh. It has to be. Since the Saints don't have a first round pick to give up (Coincidentally enough, they traded it to the Patriots), I wouldn't be at all surprised if the league takes their franchise tag this year, thereby forcing Drew Brees to be an unrestricted free agent. This is in addition to the fines and suspensions that will come down.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bogart: Regardless of whether other teams do it, and I'm sure they do, when you are caught, you're caught. If whoever is involved is not punished for this then you can never go after anyone else in a legitimate way. The Saints paying the penalty is not just singling the Saints out, it's also sending a message to other teams that do it.

And if other teams are investigated because of this, then good.

L

Lunchboxer

There is no doubt placing bounties on an opposing teams players has been around since the game of football began.

There is also no doubt players go out and try and knock the opposing stars out of the game. That's part of the strategy.

But where you have to draw the line is players receiving a financial incentive to INJURE rather than merely hurt a guy. One player looking to potentially ruin another's livelihood for a small penance payday. And that's what bothers me the most about this story. You'd think players would have enough respect for one another not to try and destroy someone's career for a $1,000 or $1,500 bonus.

I don't care if every other team in the NFL is running a bounty program. Like Spygate, I'm not naive enough to believe the Saints were the only organization guilty of violating the rules. What matters though is they got caught, and the NFL has rules that expressly prohibit placing bounties on each other. In fact, I recall the league contacting the Packers regarding this very topic just a few years ago, after remarks about giving the defensive players gift cards to Best Buy if they could keep Adrian Peterson to less than 100 yards rushing were made public. In an age where player safety is at the forefront of the NFL's agenda, you can bet the punishment will be harsh. It has to be. Since the Saints don't have a first round pick to give up (Coincidentally enough, they traded it to the Patriots), I wouldn't be at all surprised if the league takes their franchise tag this year, thereby forcing Drew Brees to be an unrestricted free agent. This is in addition to the fines and suspensions that will come down.

If that happened and Brees becomes a free agent. There will be a bidding war to get that guy. Forget Andrew Luck. The teams that need a Good QB like Brees it will be like War to get him.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that happened and Brees becomes a free agent. There will be a bidding war to get that guy. Forget Andrew Luck. The teams that need a Good QB like Brees it will be like War to get him.

Yup. And that would be the point. Punish the Saints by removing any restricted access by other to their best player. See how they enjoy having to do without the guy who win them games.

Members online

Latest posts