BJ Coleman released

H

HardRightEdge

I pretty much agree with that. I don't know why I have heard some people say Coleman doesn't have an arm. I always thought that was one of the things he had. It was accuracy and decision making that held him back.
He has an "NFL arm" in the sense that he has the arm strength and his release is NFL-quick once he commits to the throw.

I wouldn't characterize Coleman as inaccurate...I've seen him make some remarkably good throws in tight spots that some NFL starters can't make. I'd call him inconsistent...you don't know what you'll get from pass to pass...and that comes from indecision, as you suggested.

He seems to wait on throws and double-clutches from time to time, as though he's focused on one receiver, waits, and then forces the ball or has second thoughts ...indecision is a killer. This may mean he's not reading through progressions, or not doing it fast enough, so his internal clock is not up to NFL speed. Sometimes that's a confidence thing that improves with practice; sometimes it is just the nature of his internal clock. This latter point is why Sanchez is always on the bubble...I've never seen him look past the second receiver, and if that guy is blanketed anything can happen.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell played in a gimmick offense in college and never really took that next step. Coleman lacks the arm strength and accuracy IMO. McCarthy must have HATED something about Vince Young. We all know Ted Thompson coveted him for quite some time. Granted Vince Young had alot to learn but to give up on him in the short window of time the Packers had him is should I say curious.

Either the Packers had something up their sleeve regarding the Backup QB or some fallout behind the scenes led to Vince Young's departure.

BJ Coleman as the backup to rely on for the one and only Aaron Rodgers. BJ Coleman who for a good part of the preseason was thought to be the 3rd stringer at best and possibly the odd man out with the arrival of Vince Young.

BJ Coleman???? LOL :roflmao: ->:unsure:-> :eek: -> :sick: -> :poop:
Coleman doesn't lack arm strength.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You got that right. And you have to wonder how much of a hand Philbin had in developing Flynn while Harrell and Coleman went nowhere this offseason.
His status has went to almost legendary levels here, since he left. I don't understand it. Great preparer, but nothing Clements can't duplicate.

H

HardRightEdge

His status has went to almost legendary levels here, since he left. I don't understand it. Great preparer, but nothing Clements can't duplicate.

"Legendary" is going too far. Questions are being raised. One can't know what to look for if one does not ask questions first.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would look at Brady Quinn as backup QB & possibly Cedric Benson as backup at RB if he's healthy and has the desire to play.
Releasing our 2011 third round pick who was our leading rusher last year whose season ended with an injury, to bring in a 31 year old running back with one year in our offense coming off a season ending injury doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

H

HardRightEdge

Harrell played in a gimmick offense in college and never really took that next step. Coleman lacks the arm strength and accuracy IMO. McCarthy must have HATED something about Vince Young. We all know Ted Thompson coveted him for quite some time. Granted Vince Young had alot to learn but to give up on him in the short window of time the Packers had him is should I say curious.

Either the Packers had something up their sleeve regarding the Backup QB or some fallout behind the scenes led to Vince Young's departure.

BJ Coleman as the backup to rely on for the one and only Aaron Rodgers. BJ Coleman who for a good part of the preseason was thought to be the 3rd stringer at best and possibly the odd man out with the arrival of Vince Young.

BJ Coleman???? LOL :roflmao: ->:unsure:-> :eek: -> :sick: -> :poop:

Vince Young is 30 years old. If he hasn't learned 90% of what he needed to know by this age, he's not going to get it.

Vince Young made two Pro Bowls throwing as many INTs as TDs surrounded by a lot of decent talent. The media was enthralled by his winning a national championship, his physical metrics, his running ability, and his getting his team to the playoffs. He was Tim Tebow before there was a Tim Tebow. And now we're several years on with Vince....

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Releasing our 2011 third round pick who was our leading rusher last year whose season ended with an injury, to bring in a 31 year old running back with one year in our offense coming off a season ending injury doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The problem with Green is he could not make yards after contact. He's strictly a third down back with the liability of being a poor blocker. All of his college splash plays were draws and delays out of shotgun.

Assuming Benson was healthy, whether we might need him or somebody like him vs. Green would depend on who's injured. Green if Franklin went down would be preferable; a healthy Benson would be preferable if we lost Lacy or Starks.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't take the "leading rusher" thing seriously at all, when said leading rusher had 464 yards. He was the leading rusher by default because of injuries. A very unimpressive 464 yards at that!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a shocker in recent decisions that don't seem to make much sense.
Jennings, Woodson, the benching of Driver last year and now Young.
OMG!!! The Packers are racists! LOL

They are trying, just like all other 31, to build the best team they have.
It may look backasswards for now, but I hope they know what they are doing even though it doesn't look like it from an outsiders perspective.
Time will tell if they did the right thing or if mistakes were made if this comes back to bite 'em in the rear.

12theTruth

Coleman doesn't lack arm strength.

Ooops. Thats what I get when I watch a youtube video of Harrell while typing about Coleman at the same time. Either way Coleman isn't ready to be the next man in line to Aaron Rodgers.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The very reason Green Bay let Green go is because he never finished off his runs. McCarthy stated it plain as day last year when he said that we are leaving too many yards after contact out on the field. One thing that Benson did is finish off his runs and move the pile. Benson not having to be counted on as an every down player would just be added bonus.

As for the other RB's that were kept on the Roster all except for Franklin finish off their runs with force and don't curl up at contact which includes DuJuan Harris.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Coleman gives hope to the millions unfavored by the exceptional. ... Not the worst, not the best, just what we're stuck with...a rebuke to the exemplary .... {apologies to Aaron Sorkin for stealing his schtick}

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coleman could be a classic "looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane". He has all the physical tools, but he sucked in the pre-season, plain and simple. He is about as ready to lead the Packers should disaster happen to Rodgers as Tim Tebow apparently wasn't in New England.
Signing Tolzien to the practice squad is a move to get him secured, then swap Coleman back to the PS and Tolzien to the roster. ST was learning under Jim Harbaugh in SF and that is pretty good prep for the Packers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way Coleman isn't ready to be the next man in line to Aaron Rodgers.
And Vince Young looked a heck of a lot more ready.
Knowing this at times swiss cheese O-Line and with more than 50 sacks of our Aaron last year that just makes this decision that much more wonky. :confused:

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I don't question the decision at all. I think Vince Young looked good in week 3 but bad in week 4. Maybe they saw no way to grow Vince Young to be consistent and they see that with Coleman so they are sticking with the one who could actually be a good back up.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had serious doubts about Coleman but have we seen enough of him to make a fair assessment? If indeed T.T. has made him the backup and released both Young and Harrell to make it so, maybe T.T. and company know more about Coleman than we do. Or they at least have more faith in him. I don't trust Coleman yet but do I trust T.T.? Absolutely. If this is so, congrats to Coleman on being the new backup. If not, we best resolve the who will be out backup question sooner than later.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I had serious doubts about Coleman but have we seen enough of him to make a fair assessment? If indeed T.T. has made him the backup and released both Young and Harrell to make it so, maybe T.T. and company know more about Coleman than we do. Or they at least have more faith in him. I don't trust Coleman yet but do I trust T.T.? Absolutely. If this is so, congrats to Coleman on being the new backup. If not, we best resolve the who will be out backup question sooner than later.
Actually I hope we never have to find out this season. If we do, may it be like Favre replacing Majik.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I hope they bring back Matt Flynn ;)
Edit: Seneca Wallace :eek: O.K.....
Do you guys think he is better than Vince Young ?

Members online

Latest posts