Bishop signs with the Vikings

OP
OP
Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Really surprising to see Smith/Bishop cut in the same off-season with no additions made.

Evidently they didn't want to hold onto a injured Smith for early in the season or Bishop coming back off his injury with a $3.46 million base salary.

Hawk's restructured contract and Jones's new deal really set this ball rolling.

It looks likely that TT was shopping him during the draft now.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Really surprising to see Smith/Bishop cut in the same off-season with no additions made.

Evidently they didn't want to hold onto a injured Smith for early in the season or Bishop coming back off his injury with a $3.46 million base salary.

Hawk's restructured contract and Jones's new deal really set this ball rolling.

It looks likely that TT was shopping him during the draft now.

Ugh. The prospect of Hawk and Jones in there doesn't exactly inspire waves of confidence. They're both okay and that's it. Neither of them are game-changing difference makers, based on what we've seen in the past. I'd even argue that Jones is better than Hawk.

OP
OP
Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is what I posted about Bishop in the ‘Jones was a secret superstar’ thread earlier today:

“BTW, if it's true Bishop was on the trading block, do they know something about his injury situation we don't or is there another reason they no longer like him? Of Hawk, Jones and Bishop I'd expect Bishop to make the biggest impact and I'm not sure why they apparently don't agree. And if they were trying to peddle Bishop, why waive Smith? (I'm optimistic about Manning but he's done nothing so far.) As I posted previously, I don't think the ILBs have to be better than they were last season for the D to take another step in the right direction this season (better DL, better pass rush, better safety play, and perhaps even better CB play will take care of that), but I am shaking my head a bit on their moves at ILB so far.”

I just don’t get this if it’s not medical. Has anyone heard or read that Bishop was a problem in the locker room? (I haven’t.) Is this just pressure to get him to restructure?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the coaches and/or TT see something against Kaepernick and Peterson twice last year that we didn't see?
All I saw were these guys being turnstyles making Kaepernick and Peterson look better than they ever have.

We missed Bishop, that much I can say for certain.

What the staff or management have seen that we haven't, that I can't comment on, but it has to be medical.
That's a nasty injury. It was a complete tear. Gruesome, even he said.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he's going to be a half step slower and that's not good enough for them or he'll be 100% but they really want to get rid of injury risks. Makes sense in terms of getting rid of Smith if that's the case, though it makes drafting Lacy a little odd. Either way, I hope Manning has been tearing it up out there and made this an easy decision because he's got to be the #3 guy now.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the deal?? He has got to be hurt. The Lb group is a mess..it scares me knowing Brad Jones and AJ Hawk may be the starters.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
As years go by I believe less and less in Winston Moss.

We're seriously going to take more than a few shots up the gut for this. ILB is officially suspect.

Makes me want to make a Pokemon picture with MM in the trainer spot that says "Leadership Void has appeared!" With Bishop and Woodson in the opposing trainer spot. Should someone actually make this, post it here.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/desmond-bishop-could-be-released-b9932140z1-211148221.html

The team will release the inside linebacker if they're unable to restructure his deal or pull off a trade, a league source confirmed. Bishop is set to make $3.464 million this season, part of the four-year, $19 million deal he signed in January 2011.

When the Packers decided to re-sign Brad Jones and restructure A.J. Hawk's deal — both at starter's money — a financial logjam was created at inside linebacker. So now Bishop, who missed all of last season with a torn hamstring, may be the odd man out.

How much of this decision is based on salary, how much on overcrowding and how much on the injury is up for interpretation. This may be a case of a numbers game more than Bishop's current health. Reached on Tuesday evening, Bishop said he is "completely" healthy and added that there's still a possibility he could be back with the Packers.

Would Bishop accept a pay cut? Maybe, though it seems unlikely for a player who believes he is healthy and one of the top linebackers in the game.

Bishop did not fail a physical or any tests during organized team activities and minicamp.

But the chain of events began last August in Green Bay's preseason opener.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they really liked what they saw out of the rookies in OTA's and decided it was time to part ways for various reasons. Even without counting CM3, Perry, Hawk, and Jones there are 8 LB's on the active roster right now granted cut days are to come and there is something to be said about quality over quantity, but I don't think they would come to a decision like this haphazardly.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a part of me that worries about the message we might be sending to the team. Get hurt and you might get cut? Bishop wasn't some fringe starter, he was a leader on defense. The guys notice, and they probably figure if it can happen to them.

Putting yourself in their shoes, how motivated would you be to play at a highly physical level if in the back of your mind you were worried that doing so could cost you your job and livelihood?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasnt been released yet..

This seems like posturing to get Bishop to renegotiate. He claims to be healthy. Nobody has disputed it. He is our best linebacker. He's not old. His contract isn't grossly inflated because it's in the final years....to me this is the equivelant of Green Bay saying that we need a divorce, hoping it forces Bishop to #@$% or get off the pot.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting yourself in their shoes, how motivated would you be to play at a highly physical level if in the back of your mind you were worried that doing so could cost you your job and livelihood?
I somewhat agree about the message, but that's pro sports. If any of those guys think that Mom & Dad are running the show, they are sorely mistaken

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand this in the least. He's the beast of the defense - the only one we had. He has to have lingering health issues that the team is not disclosing in hopes of dealing him. If not, the only reason for this move is financial savings. But, then we get back to - WHY THE F*** ARE WE KEEPING A.J. HAWK OVER HIM!?!?!! He's done NOTHING to warrant this long tenure over Bishop. Hawk has zero turnovers in two full seasons! This irritates the living hell out of me.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand this in the least. He's the beast of the defense - the only one we had. He has to have lingering health issues that the team is not disclosing in hopes of dealing him. If not, the only reason for this move is financial savings. But, then we get back to - WHY THE F*** ARE WE KEEPING A.J. HAWK OVER HIM!?!?!! He's done NOTHING to warrant this long tenure over Bishop. Hawk has zero turnovers in two full seasons! This irritates the living hell out of me.

Absolutely, 100% agreed. You know, I'll tell you what ... I typically defend Ted Thompson on most matters, but in the case of AJ Hawk, this is getting ridiculous. Honestly, I think this is one big case of - "I drafted him with the 5th pick overall and I will look really stupid if I cut him". That's what this looks like to me. It's the same reason they let Justin Harrell hang around for about two years longer than they needed to. This is called damage control and it's NOT working. AJ Hawk isn't even as good as Brian Noble was and frankly, that's saying something.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Bishop has not beeen able to participated in the the Packer off season program , beause he has not been cleared by team doctors to return from his hamstring tendon injury last August. It needed to be surgically reattached " *

*source : Green Bay Press-Gazette- June 12, 2013 -Article "Bishop appears to be odd man out at ILB " by PG Sports reporter Rob Demovsky

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Bishop has not beeen able to participated in the the Packer off season program , beause he has not been cleared by team doctors to return from his hamstring tendon injury last August. It needed to be surgically reattached " *

*source : Green Bay Press-Gazette- June 12, 2013 -Article "Bishop appears to be odd man out at ILB " by PG Sports reporter Rob Demovsky

Jsonline link I posted said he didnt fail any tests

Latest posts