Biggest Trap Game 2013

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excluding our own divisional rivals, what opponent do you see as posing the biggest threat when we least expect it?

Unfortunately there are only a handful of teams that fall into the "trap" scenario definition. I see them as Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Philadelphia. The Cowboys and Redskins might be trap games on the bubble but the rest of our opponents are quality opponents.

I'm going to select the Cowboys, mainly because they tend to falter in December and by that time may have been written off by most folks. During that final, crucial stretch in December we play in Dallas. It's sandwiched in between home games against the Falcons and Steelers and then our finale at Chicago. I see the Cowboys giving us a scare late in the season.

You?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Hmmm....good post for offseason chatter. I don't see cleveland as much threat for a trap game. I would have to say the bengals game would be the best bet. They are a tough team and don't get much credit. They also have a good amount of weapons on offense, and Andy dalton is a tough kid with a big arm.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Washington is too early in the season and is the home opener otherwise that could be it. Bengals have been in playoffs past two seasons so they really don't qualify as a trap team. I usually consider trap games vs bottom feeders and they ain't it. Week three is a bit early to have one and the bye week follows which means more free time with a victory possibly on the table for player incentive. I look more towards Cleveland and the Eagles games. Two lower tier opponents sandwiched between big-time opponents. Lucky they are both at home. Cowboys could be it but I hope we are looking at locking up 1st round bye about that time so every game takes on greater importance. I don't see a let down for that game. If I have to pick one it would be Cleveland coming off the Ravens game looking towards Vikings the following Sunday night.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I just dont see us being beaten by cleveland. They just don't have a potent enough offense to be able to match us in a scoring battle. Then again, anything can happen. People said last years Colts game was a "trap" game, but Andrew Luck is a much better QB than Brandon Weeden and had better weapons (reggie wayne killed our D).

Also, If Vick wins the starting job, I don't see us being beaten by them either. Vick is really showing his age and his wheels are much slower than years ago, not to mention he can't throw for crap. Our young DB's will be foaming at the mouth when vick drops back to pass. That will be a multiple INT game for Vick.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And this is what would make it a trap game. Losing or at least struggling mightily in a game that should be a cakewalk.
That was exactly what crossed my mind when I read his statement. As he said though, it is absolutely a game that we should win and I tend to agree that we will win it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Biggest trap game, huh? Well, it can't be the opener at San Fran so maybe it's whoever they play next. No? How 'bout their next opponent? No? How 'bout… … I got it - the game on Sunday, September 29 is definitely the trap game. :D

Seriously it's tough to figure trap games this far away from the season. We don't know which team or teams will be the "surprise(s)" in the league - what if the team now considered a "bottom feeder" has a great record when the Packers play them? What if the Packers lose a game they were "supposed" to win just before the "trap" game? It better be extremely difficult for them to overlook at team coming off a loss. What if a "good" team is decimated by injuries, etc.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about a trap game, but if we lose to SF week 1 I am going to be very upset. I can live with a hard fought, down to the wire road loss, but if they blow our doors off again it could really let the air out of our tires for the season. I am glad it's week 1 though, so we can see if our defense has taken the necessary steps to get back to championship form. And if they haven't, it's at least early enough to know what adjustments need made for the remainder of the year.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of figure Philly because I think Chip Kelly will have a few surprises for the NFL. Mike McCarthy is a good coach but doesn't seem to adjust well and has been taken by surprise before (read option anyone?). As Jack said though right now it's hard to determine before the preseason has even started.

Members online