Bigger Threat This Week

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson or Reggie Bush?

Reggie Bush is a major reason that the Lions are 3-1 this season. His running ability has certainly helped their offense. At the same time, he is no Calvin Johnson who is clearly the better player among peers at his position.

My vote is for Calvin Johnson being the biggest threat to our chances of winning. That decision is based more on the Packers success at stopping the run this season and our injuries in the secondary. It'll be great to have Burnett back but I'm cautious about any player's ability to step in and be 100% after a hamstring injury. (sidenote - I said the same thing last season as Sam Shields returned from a hamstring but he played phenomenally)

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Burelson out the Lions don't have many receiving options beyond Johnson. I think we should employ the same strategy we did to effectively shut down AJ Green in the Bengal game. I also like our chances keeping Bush contained in the run game. We've played some good run defense and Bush will be playing on a slow field (hopefully we're letting that grass grow a little higher this week.) Where I fear the Lions may try and attack us is to get Bush and their other running back out in space with screens and dump offs. I think our linebackers could have their hands full, especially if Matthews is still hobbled.

12theTruth

Johnson for sure but having Bush makes their offense even more potent.

Nothing will matter though if Matthews doesn't play or is restricted in some capacity. Without Matthews I just don't see a path to victory.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nothing will matter though if Matthews doesn't play or is restricted in some capacity. Without Matthews I just don't see a path to victory.

You don't see a path to victory against a team we haven't lost to at home since the early 90's? How bad do you think we are?

Matthews would certainly be a tremendous loss for this weekend but not seeing a way we win without him, particularly at home, is insane. There are plenty of paths to victory on Sunday. Most involving Rodgers playing a lot better than he did last game and us holding Megatron relatively in check.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
There is no bigger threat IMHO, they are complimentary threats. Its the old 8 in the box thing. If you have to respect both rushing and passing it makes it harder to defend both and gives good QBs the option to audible out of a play when the D shows the "wrong" alignment. That's why the Lions are a MUCH better team with Bush and why we will be a much better team if Lacy/Franklin/Green/Gado/<insert RB from the last 7 years here> pans out.

12theTruth

You don't see a path to victory against a team we haven't lost to at home since the early 90's? How bad do you think we are?

Matthews would certainly be a tremendous loss for this weekend but not seeing a way we win without him, particularly at home, is insane. There are plenty of paths to victory on Sunday. Most involving Rodgers playing a lot better than he did last game and us holding Megatron relatively in check.

What can I say, I'm negative about the Packs chances. Stafford has averaged almost 400 yards a game passing over his last two Lambeau appearances and now he has the dynamic R. Bush to add to his weapons.

If we can't get pressure on Stafford there isn't a high likelihood of Rodgers keeping up with our shaky offensive line going against a pretty solid Lions front D line. Now sure there is always a path but I'd say with things as they are and with how they have been I'd give the Lions a definite edge if Matthews isn't healthy. Just my OP.

Granted we have had tremendous success against the Lions on the scoreboard. It won't always be a W and today is their best chance in quite some time of them pulling one out in Lambeau.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
I live in Michigan now and watch NFL games with hard core Lions fans. Across many social groups, there is one constant. Whenever the Lions are ahead or have positive drive going, they all, without exception, map out the way the Lions will screw it up. They can be up by 3 TDs, late in the 4th and the conversation is about how the opposing team will win the game and the Lions will hand victory to them. Its a truly unique viewing experience.

PackersGirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our rush defense is ranked 8th in the NFL, our pass defense is ranked 28th. Calvin Johnson is clearly the bigger threat here.
I can kind of agree with you guys about CJ but just to give an argument for the other side. If Bush starts running up and down on us we lose our biggest strength on defense which is our run defense so technically that could be a bigger threat. Calvin is supposed to beat us (on paper) but Bush beating us could be worst that would also open up the field for Calvin too....

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I can kind of agree with you guys about CJ but just to give an argument for the other side. If Bush starts running up and down on us we lose our biggest strength on defense which is our run defense so technically that could be a bigger threat. Calvin is supposed to beat us (on paper) but Bush beating us could be worst that would also open up the field for Calvin too....

I can see your point on that one.......

I say we take Bush out at the knees early, that should help us.

j/k

maybe not

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand and agreed with your point until I looked at the record. Clay missed a lot of time in the 2009 and 2010 preseasons with hamstring injuries, but has only missed 7 regular season games by my count - most for injury but the final games of 2009 and 2011 for safety sake. Of those 7 games the Packers only lost twice, to the Dolphins in 2010 and the Giants in 2012. The Giants loss was on many levels, not just the lack of Clay Matthews.

So I guess that the record shows that there is a path to victory even if Matthews is unavailable to play. Coincidentally, three of the seven games that Matthews has missed were against Detroit and we've won all three games.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
I understand and agreed with your point until I looked at the record. Clay missed a lot of time in the 2009 and 2010 preseasons with hamstring injuries, but has only missed 7 regular season games by my count - most for injury but the final games of 2009 and 2011 for safety sake. Of those 7 games the Packers only lost twice, to the Dolphins in 2010 and the Giants in 2012. The Giants loss was on many levels, not just the lack of Clay Matthews.

So I guess that the record shows that there is a path to victory even if Matthews is unavailable to play. Coincidentally, three of the seven games that Matthews has missed were against Detroit and we've won all three games.

This Detroit team, is not your father's Lions.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ah, but we will be getting our own Bush back. Threat cancelled - Bush equals Bush.

bwhahahhaha

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both guys can kill us.

People, a lot of people, tried to say Bush was a bust. He was far from that.
He's been good all along.... and we're seeing a reminder of how damn talented he is, and versatile.

And Johnson is Megatron, in a league of his own.

If Matthews is out, Stafford will have plenty of time to pick us apart.
Remember the final game of 2011?
Shootout City, won by Matt Flynn.

If Cinci scored that much on us, and Kaepernick and RG3 threw for 800 yards on us, Stafford could throw for 500.

We might need to score 42 to win this week....

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Matthews is out, Stafford will have plenty of time to pick us apart.
Remember the final game of 2011?
Shootout City, won by Matt Flynn.
It had nothing to do with Matthews or anyone else. Everyone was just excited to play in the snow. :tup:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Defensive line of the Lions is what we should be worried about!!! thats the real threat! it doesn't matter what Bush or CJ does, if we can't stop Suh and co. from wrecking havok in the backfield then we won't be on the field long enough to score 42 point's. The gameplan this week needs to BALL CONTROL and BALL SECURITY. We need to see every variation of screen pass possible mixed with some draws. I anticipate alot of Franklin who can be just as dynamic as Bush.

Keep Stafford and the boys on the sidelines and score touchdowns in the red zone. If Finley can come back that gives us on more threat on offense. I watched the Saints game and i love they way they use Darren Sproles on the screens and dump off plays. Hopefully MM watched as well.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
The Defensive line of the Lions is what we should be worried about!!! thats the real threat! it doesn't matter what Bush or CJ does, if we can't stop Suh and co. from wrecking havok in the backfield then we won't be on the field long enough to score 42 point's. The gameplan this week needs to BALL CONTROL and BALL SECURITY. We need to see every variation of screen pass possible mixed with some draws. I anticipate alot of Franklin who can be just as dynamic as Bush.

Keep Stafford and the boys on the sidelines and score touchdowns in the red zone. If Finley can come back that gives us on more threat on offense. I watched the Saints game and i love they way they use Darren Sproles on the screens and dump off plays. Hopefully MM watched as well.

What does it matter if MM watched the game? He had his mind made up 4 weeks ago about how he would playcall against the Lions.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have faith in our d-line to stop the run.Bush is not Johnson so if they stop him in the short passing game,and make Stanton do his norm I think we will win out,our run game is what we need to keep lions d-line on the field longer to ware them out,plus I feel A-rod and our w.r. will be ready pack wins.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at it this way; the two guys are similar to the two we faced against the Bengals (obviously the Lions duo is better, but probably not by a large margin). AJ Green didn't do much to hurt the Packers but Berndard did. Bernard rushed for 50 yards on 10 carries and caught 4 passes for 49 yards. Bush, when healthy, is better than Bernard. If the Packers can't do a better job against a running back who is a huge receiving threat, it's going to hurt them.

Also, we beat the Lions twice last year and Johnson had a combined 15 catches for 261 yards...I don't think he's their key to victory.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensively, I think the LEEOAAANNS will tend to possibly look at a couple other wrinkles in their offense: Pettigrew et al could have a HUGE day. If our inside backers have to cover him or any of the other TE's, it could be a long day. The gaps need a look at the pt of attack with Bush out of the backfield on screens. Megatron is who he is. If Bush comes out fast, the Packers are in big trouble. It opens up their arsenal plain and simple.

So the question is, which D is Capers countering with? Is it their vaunted ZONE which couldn't stop the Wisconsin Badgers? Or is it a hybrid run stuffer with creativity? The key is Capers, is he lost? Do the personnel do their job? My feeling is that at home, it will be close. In Detroit on Thanksgiving? Forget about it.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I think it will be a shoot out. Rodgers won't have two off games in a row. Our defense won't stop them, so we will just have to our score them.

Bush is going to run all day out of the screen or dump passes.

But, Rodgers will dissect their defensive backfield.

Grab a cold beer, a comfy chair, and enjoy the fireworks!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts