Bigger Rival in 2013 - Bears or Vikings?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are our traditional rival. There is no disputing that notion. Since the late 1990s, the Vikings emerged as a contender, partially due to the emergence of Culpepper/Moss and the slumping Bears. Now it seems as if both are on equal footing, both with the opportunity to knock GB off of its horse.

Who do you think is Green Bay's biggest/best rival today?

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is still the Bears. There is just so much hate there for it to not be them. Maybe it is just me, be I actually kind of respect Adrian Peterson. He is like Barry Sanders in a sense: I hate seeing him run all over us, but I love watching him play. It is like you are witnessing history being made every time he touches the ball. There is NO ONE of the Bears that I like to see play. Jay Cutler annoys the CRAP outta me.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I think it is still the Bears. There is just so much hate there for it to not be them. Maybe it is just me, be I actually kind of respect Adrian Peterson. He is like Barry Sanders in a sense: I hate seeing him run all over us, but I love watching him play. It is like you are witnessing history being made every time he touches the ball. There is NO ONE of the Bears that I like to see play. Jay Cutler annoys the CRAP outta me.
I think it still is the Bears as they seem to Rev thier game up against us. Another team I fear and hate with a vengeance though is the New York Giants. I know they are not pertinent to this particular debate, and it MIGHT be a personal thing for me but I really hate them.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think of the Giants like the early-1990s Cowboys, they beat us a few times so we don't like them, but will likely not ever reach the status of true rival. There was a rivalry back in the day with New York, but you can't sustain a rivalry with 50 year breaks in the middle...but I know how you feel

I

I think of the Giants like the early-1990s Cowboys, they beat us a few times so we don't like them, but will likely not ever reach the status of true rival. There was a rivalry back in the day with New York, but you can't sustain a rivalry with 50 year breaks in the middle...but I know how you feel

I think its thier fan base that ****** me off more than anything. I watched a program about Micheal Strahan, and really enjoyed it. I can respect guys like him for his ability, but Giant fans seem arrogant. More so than others. Just my opinion of course.

D

Dan115

has been the vikes for me since 1964, 24-23. Someday maybe I will get over that loss. It is the minn (people???) inhumane monsters.

I

I remember when I was in Green Bay in 2004, asking the cab driver if there was ever crowd trouble like thier used to be here in England ? She told me she had once had her cab rolled by a group of Vikings fans. Is this normal ? by that I mean do things get heated ?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been Da Bears for much of Lovie's tenure. One of his goals was beating the Packers. And he had some consistent success. But, I see them on the downturn. The defense is OLD and their offense is so inconsistent with that just awful offensive line - not to mention the biggest quitter in football: Jay Quitler.

On the flip side, the Vikes have been pretty pedestrian for that same time frame. But, I see that roster as having more upside than Da Bears. Much of it has to do with AP. Like an earlier post mentioned, he is much like Sanders in that he can carry his team to victory by himself and is a pure joy to watch. If they keep Percy, this offense has two dangerous weapons and a TE in Rudolph that will only get better. If Ponder figures it out even a bit, it's a team on the rise.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO our biggest rival between the Vikings & Bears will be the Vikings. Both teams always give us a good hard fought game but over the past 5 yrs the Vikings have given us more trouble than da bears who still suck

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Bears are the rival, vikes are a close 2nd place. I don't even consider the lions in a divisional rival talk, they just plain suck.

Vikes have come on a little better in the past few seasons, but as long as they have ponder as their QB, they wont be much more than an average team. Yes, AP is a threat, but we have proved that even if he does run all over ya, they need a passing attack to compete with us, and they can't now. They are also going to be getting rid of percey harvin......wow....their #1 weapon is gunna be traded.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that Harvin would be a real #1 weapon on most teams - similar to Cobb, who I think makes a great complement to a top receiver as the #2 guy. The Vikings need to draft some good young receivers like Rudolph, not keep using retreads.

My take is that in 2013, the Vikings are the bigger rival. AP will continue to prove that he's one of the greatest of all time, Ponder will improve slightly, and Rick Spielman will likely continue drafting well for them. The Bears are in a holding pattern until the new coaching staff is established, but from a talent/personnel perspective, I don't think that they can contribute much to the rivalry except for nostalgia.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been, is, and always will be the Bears. The Vikings are a recent irritant for only the last 50 years or so.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that Harvin would be a real #1 weapon on most teams - similar to Cobb, who I think makes a great complement to a top receiver as the #2 guy. The Vikings need to draft some good young receivers like Rudolph, not keep using retreads.

My take is that in 2013, the Vikings are the bigger rival. AP will continue to prove that he's one of the greatest of all time, Ponder will improve slightly, and Rick Spielman will likely continue drafting well for them. The Bears are in a holding pattern until the new coaching staff is established, but from a talent/personnel perspective, I don't think that they can contribute much to the rivalry except for nostalgia.

As far as the vikes passing game is concerned, Harvin is their biggest threat. Wheather or not he is in the role or position of #1 WR is a moot point, he is their #1 threat.

As far as the rumor mill goes as of now, the vikes say they are NOT going to let him go.....damn it.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I likes Johnny Knox until he got folded in half like an accordion.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I remember when I was in Green Bay in 2004, asking the cab driver if there was ever crowd trouble like thier used to be here in England ? She told me she had once had her cab rolled by a group of Vikings fans. Is this normal ? by that I mean do things get heated ?

BB, I'm not saying that didn't happen. I'm just saying that I've lived in Northeastern and East Central Wisconsin my entire life ... short stints in the other three corners of the state in the mid 80's... I have never heard of this and I can promise you that the local media would have been on this like a cheap suit purchased off the rack at Sears.

I've never had a bad experience with Viking fans at Lambeau - matter of fact, they rank right up there with Carolina Panther fans on the "fun" meter at Lambeau. Now, Bears' fans on the other hand...crude and obnoxious no matter how courteous you are in return. The organization and the players don't rile me much anymore--however, their fans make me yell "COME ON, RUN UP THE SCORE". just to make their fans miserable.

I

BB, I'm not saying that didn't happen. I'm just saying that I've lived in Northeastern and East Central Wisconsin my entire life ... short stints in the other three corners of the state in the mid 80's... I have never heard of this and I can promise you that the local media would have been on this like a cheap suit purchased off the rack at Sears.

I've never had a bad experience with Viking fans at Lambeau - matter of fact, they rank right up there with Carolina Panther fans on the "fun" meter at Lambeau. Now, Bears' fans on the other hand...crude and obnoxious no matter how courteous you are in return. The organization and the players don't rile me much anymore--however, their fans make me yell "COME ON, RUN UP THE SCORE". just to make their fans miserable.
It did sound a bit far fetched when she said it to be honest Weeds. The only reason I asked really because back in the 70`s one of the reasons I lost interest in "soccer" was the rivalry got a bit serious over here in Europe. I went to see a game in Liverpool as a Liverpool fan, but came away admiring the other team much more. As the ONLY way I could get to see the other team was on special trains called football specials. Coming from Liverpool I have a strong Liverpool accent, which would get me beaten up by my new team fans, or if I wore the colours of my new team, beaten up by Liverpool or Everton supporters. I thought this was too dangerous, and stopped watching football full stop. I travelled to Lambeau once with a plane load of Cowboys fans, while wearing all my Packer stuff and had some great conversations with them.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been Da Bears for much of Lovie's tenure. One of his goals was beating the Packers. And he had some consistent success. But, I see them on the downturn. The defense is OLD and their offense is so inconsistent with that just awful offensive line - not to mention the biggest quitter in football: Jay Quitler.

On the flip side, the Vikes have been pretty pedestrian for that same time frame. But, I see that roster as having more upside than Da Bears. Much of it has to do with AP. Like an earlier post mentioned, he is much like Sanders in that he can carry his team to victory by himself and is a pure joy to watch. If they keep Percy, this offense has two dangerous weapons and a TE in Rudolph that will only get better. If Ponder figures it out even a bit, it's a team on the rise.

If talent and quality of football is the standard, yeah, the Bears are on the downside and the Vikings have at least decent potential, and the thread title does say in 2013.

When it comes to tradition, though, I can actually remember when the Vikings didn't exist. The first time the Packers ever played them was my Confirmation Day and I have a sour look in all my pics because I got dragged away from watching the game. My dad and uncle hated the Bears so-o-o-o much.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It did sound a bit far fetched when she said it to be honest Weeds. The only reason I asked really because back in the 70`s one of the reasons I lost interest in "soccer" was the rivalry got a bit serious over here in Europe. I went to see a game in Liverpool as a Liverpool fan, but came away admiring the other team much more. As the ONLY way I could get to see the other team was on special trains called football specials. Coming from Liverpool I have a strong Liverpool accent, which would get me beaten up by my new team fans, or if I wore the colours of my new team, beaten up by Liverpool or Everton supporters. I thought this was too dangerous, and stopped watching football full stop. I travelled to Lambeau once with a plane load of Cowboys fans, while wearing all my Packer stuff and had some great conversations with them.

Oh, the NFL has their share of knuckleheads too. Philadelphia for instance.... I've seen those clowns physically abuse people ... including a pregnant lady ... for wearing their team's colors at Philly's sh*t-hole dump. On that day, I saw a bunch of Wisconsin farmboys kick the idiot's (plural and possessive) ***es. I felt like my life was in danger in Detroit's Silverdome. Hey, back in the 90's some Packer fans belted Eddie DeBartola, then the owner of the 9'ers because he was talking sh*t as they were leaving Lambeau.

Two or Three years ago, I took my son and a couple of his buddies to see the Pack versus Carolina at Lambeau. There was a guy sitting in front of us...appeared to be alone and was pretty quiet UNTIL the Pack's defense and special teams gave the game away...he THEN took off his coat to expose his Panther jersey - only after it became apparent that the Panthers were going to win.

I congratulated him on his team's win but told him that I thought that was really 'bad form' on his part. Either you're a fan when you losing or you're not a fan at all. Asked why he thought he couldn't sit in Lambeau wearing a Panther jersey ... he replied, "Got my *** kicked in Tampa". Hahahaha... invited him out to a post game tailgate but only IF he wore his jersey outside of his jacket. :)

I

Oh, the NFL has their share of knuckleheads too. Philadelphia for instance.... I've seen those clowns physically abuse people ... including a pregnant lady ... for wearing their team's colors at Philly's sh*t-hole dump. On that day, I saw a bunch of Wisconsin farmboys kick the idiot's (plural and possessive) ***es. I felt like my life was in danger in Detroit's Silverdome. Hey, back in the 90's some Packer fans belted Eddie DeBartola, then the owner of the 9'ers because he was talking sh*t as they were leaving Lambeau.

Two or Three years ago, I took my son and a couple of his buddies to see the Pack versus Carolina at Lambeau. There was a guy sitting in front of us...appeared to be alone and was pretty quiet UNTIL the Pack's defense and special teams gave the game away...he THEN took off his coat to expose his Panther jersey - only after it became apparent that the Panthers were going to win.

I congratulated him on his team's win but told him that I thought that was really 'bad form' on his part. Either you're a fan when you losing or you're not a fan at all. Asked why he thought he couldn't sit in Lambeau wearing a Panther jersey ... he replied, "Got my *** kicked in Tampa". Hahahaha... invited him out to a post game tailgate but only IF he wore his jersey outside of his jacket. :)
You`re a gentleman then...;). I fell in love with Green Bay and her people, I include all people from Wisconsin when I visited there in 2004. The people were so funny when they heard my accent, and were amazed that somebody travelled so far to see the Packers play. As I travelled back through Chicago, I was tickled to be jumped by total strangers, including a pilot, shaking my hand and talking to me about the Packers because I wore the colours. THATS the way sport should be in my mind anyway......:tup:
Footnote to this. I first travelled to the U.S. in the May of 2004, arriving in Philadelphia. It was my 1st time in America. I hadn`t even got out of the airport, but the first 10 people I met there were horrible, and I HAVE to be honest, I thought "if this is what Americans are like, I`m getting back on the plane !". So maybe its just a Philly thing anyway ???

Reaction score
Our biggest Rival is whoever talks the most...
Lions talked some mass garbage during 2011 - "Haha - we beat matt flynn!"
Bears talked some trash in 2010 ...Vikings during 08 - 09 ....
so ... idk, we'll see. :mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts