Bigby...another sub-par performance

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby didnt play well at all yesterday, he was responsible for the 43 yard completion to Carter, and dint make any plays.

Is it me, or has his luster worn down over the course of the season. I think Rouse and COllins will be our starting safeties when Collins comes back

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He played fine....He was involved in a number of plays, near the ball a LOT. I don't understand expecting perfection from a first year starter.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby will be alright. At least he isn't getting beat every other play like Manuel did. (Yes he really did get beat every other play. I still have nightmares about it)

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's playing okay. He's only giving up plays that don't matter right now.

But coming into the season I was actually hoping it would be Collins and Rouse. No ill will towards the spidermonkey though.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you may be right. bigby is solid against the run, but the guy looks so stiff when he runs. i could see rouse & collins starting

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Rouse is still getting a lot of help from the other 10 guys on the field right now, so I wouldn't be so quick to assum he should replace anyone at this point.

And Bigby is playing well. A receiver making the catch when you are running stride for stride is just a good play, not getting beat. Bigby has gotten beat once, I think, when he PI'd Gonzalez in the end zone against KC. That's honestly the only time I've thought to myself "Frickin Bigby.....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to tell at this time in his career how good or bad he will be, however I believe he is a huge upgrade over Marquand Manuel.

You beat me to it. He's a HUGE upgrade over Manuel, and that was my biggest concern coming into the year. I'm content. Not ecstatic, but content. He'll get better too.

Reaction score
See the thing with Bigby was that he bit to the inside instead of covering the outside. He has the ability to make that play, it was a mental lapse, one that won't happen again because Bigby will learn from it.

Other wise Bigby did what he was supposed to do for the most part, contain a strong Panthers running game.

FrozenTundra1979

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest complaint is how easily he gets his hips turned to the incorrect side, but he has done it less and less as the season rolls on, love his big hit mentality. I wanna see the Chuck Cecil nose blood come back to Lambeau, keep hitting Atari!!!

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
See the thing with Bigby was that he bit to the inside instead of covering the outside. He has the ability to make that play, it was a mental lapse, one that won't happen again because Bigby will learn from it.

Other wise Bigby did what he was supposed to do for the most part, contain a strong Panthers running game.

why wont it happen again, hes not that good of a safety, he hits....thats it!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Are freaking serious? Bigby and the defense gives up one play over 40 yards in how many weeks and we are saying he isn't any good... he is a young aggressive safety who likes to thump people. He isn't that bad in coverage, but he does make inexperienced mistakes. And that is exactly why he is making them.. youth.

We decided to go young and youngsters will make mistakes.. Rouse will make them, but you did notice that he was playing the shallow side of the field and most times the underneath routes.. where he shouldn't get beat.. the DC is protecting him in coverage right now.. thus Bigby is playing most of the deep stuff on the wide side.. but again he only has what 10 games of experience to bank upon.

Would it be nice to have to have an experienced safety back there but that doesn't mean that Bigby is not holding his own.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby is a diamond in the rough. He's a player with good instinct and he's not afraid to hit someone. He is not however, a polished safety. He's still learning. This kid has the ability to be big time.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I come to all the Packer message boards excited about our 9-1 Packers. Excited about our dream season that seemed to come out of no where. Excited about the future with the youngest team in the league.

But after every game I read about how terrible our running backs are. Our guards need to be replaced. Poppinga sucks. Hawk is a big disappointment. Collins will never live up to expectations, average at best . And Bigby isn't playing very well.

worst 9-1 team ever !

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I come to all the Packer message boards excited about our 9-1 Packers. Excited about our dream season that seemed to come out of no where. Excited about the future with the youngest team in the league.

But after every game I read about how terrible our running backs are. Our guards need to be replaced. Poppinga sucks. Hawk is a big disappointment. Collins will never live up to expectations, average at best . And Bigby isn't playing very well.

worst 9-1 team ever !

Dude, same here. I was gonna post the same thing. This team is so good. And Brennan, you have a history of being negative, remember that 1 day in the chat room? :eek: But seriously, Bigby is doing fine. Really good actually....

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby is a pretty nice upgrade over what the Packers have had the last 3 or 4 years. He's not Leroy Butler but he's not as bad as Manuel or Roman either.

Part of playing safety is being a good hitter. That's one of the reasons why they play safety instead of corner. He also has a lot of range. You watch the Packers and most of the time you'll see Barnett, Hawk, and Bigby in on most of the plays. He has two nice force fumbles on the year and he also has a game sealing INT against Minnesota. Not to mention he's on pace to be I think 3rd on the team in tackles. Maybe 2nd. Depends where Hawk is right now.

I agree he's not playing up to par like he was earlier or isn't heading to the Pro Bowl but at the very least he's held his own.

Reaction score
why wont it happen again, hes not that good of a safety, he hits....thats it!

Bigby has learned from his mistakes.

I can't remember the preseason game, but Bigby (with Underwood) gave up some big plays.

He came back from that game and improved his pass coverage.

Against Denver, he had some stupid penalties (perhaps a wrong one called) for hitting Stokely out of bounds and kicking the football.

Have you seen that again from him?

Bigby has a brain, and he has solid coaches to point out his mistakes and how to correct them. History so far has shown that Bigby bounces back from his mistakes by correcting them.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bigby has played phenomenal ball all things considered. He's a first year starter back there. Considering his age and experience, he's actually been less mistake prone than you might expect.

If he were our first round pick instead of a waiver wire claim I think you wouldn't see one negative thread about him.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

worst 9-1 team ever !

lol wait til the Packers start loosing again, you'd nearly think some people on this forum are happy being miserable :D

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bigby needs to play a damn good game against detroit and dallas

Does that mean zero mistakes? He had one bad play against Carolina on what was a very good pass and with poor coverage by Woodson. He also -- unsurprisingly -- was second on the team in tackles.

He's tied with Hawk for second on the team in tackles on the season. If you are asking for completely mistake free football from a first year safety, you may as well just bump this thread every week because it probably isn't going to happen.

Safety is tough in the NFL. Ask all the safeties -- some Pro Bowl players -- we've made look very bad this year.

I think some people are getting spoiled by what has turned into one of the best defenses in the NFL.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brennan1884 said:
Bigby needs to play a damn good game against detroit and dallas

Does that mean zero mistakes? He had one bad play against Carolina on what was a very good pass and with poor coverage by Woodson. He also -- unsurprisingly -- was second on the team in tackles.

He's tied with Hawk for second on the team in tackles on the season. If you are asking for completely mistake free football from a first year safety, you may as well just bump this thread every week because it probably isn't going to happen.

Safety is tough in the NFL. Ask all the safeties -- some Pro Bowl players -- we've made look very bad this year.

I think some people are getting spoiled by what has turned into one of the best defenses in the NFL.

I am not ripping on Bigby, but let's face it, the guy has some issues in pass coverage. A good mobile TE, like Witten, is going to give bigby some problems.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am not ripping on Bigby, but let's face it, the guy has some issues in pass coverage. A good mobile TE, like Witten, is going to give bigby some problems.

That is agreed, but Whitten seems to gives alot of teams fit, but most of our issue with TE's is Poppinga not getting a good jam on at the LOS. You let a big mobile TE work the underneath stuff, without a impediment in his route such as a jam, well you give up a ton of yards.

Poppinga and Bigby are young players, and especially Bigby hasn't had alot of chances to work close to the LOS. With time, he will learn to keep the TE hands off you while giving him a pop in the pads and making him take an extra step or two..

If you want to focus on a weakness right now, it is the stretch runs to the edges of our defense. We were gashed off tackle for a stockpile of yards... thus letting the play action work and put pressure on the safeties to provide run support.. but even that was manageable.

Members online

Latest posts