Better season: Cobb or Harvin?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
percy harvin games started: 2009 - 8, 2010 - 13, 2011 - 14, 2012 - 8.

2011 was the most starts he has ever had. Some might say that missing a half a season twice so far in a short career is "durability issues", no matter what he was out for, he was out of the game and non-productive. That to me is durability issues. He has been considered a starter and has played on 43 out of 64 games.....missing 21 games in 4 years averages out to 5 games per year, by the numbers. That is not good.

Also, the day percy harvin is a MVP in a league FILLED with better and more productive WR's is the day I buy his jersey....I doubt that will ever happen so my money and pride are safe. Silly vikes fan.....how can such a guy compete with the likes of calvin johnson and MANY other WR's that would be put ahead of him....not to mention, a QB most always wins MVP.
Let's cherry pick some more stats. Cobb started 8 out of 32 games the last two years. Seems he has durability issues as well. That averages to 4 games a year. See how that works.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb will go down as one of Ted's best picks. Very dynamic player, who I wish MM would run more plays with him out of the screen, much like during the Ahman Green era, rather than run all this zone blocking scheme load of nonsense. As for Harvin, I never really paid any attention to him in Minnesota. It's a little hard for any Vikings players to stick out, when Peterson is there.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Cobb yes but he's no Percy Harvin im sorry. Harvin is bigger, faster,quicker, and more elusive imo.

Thank goodness, Cobb is no Harvin. Vikings got rid of
him and let the Seahhawks deal with all the problems Harvin has..

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harvin: 5'11" 184
Cobb 5'10" 192
Speed about the same (4.41 vs 4.46 in the 40) edge to Harvin; 20yd shuttle edge to Cobb.

I'd say they are similar in size and speed. Since Harvin was born without a brain, or lost it somewhere, you gotta go with Cobb.

M

mayo44

I like Cobb yes but he's no Percy Harvin im sorry. Harvin is bigger, faster,quicker, and more elusive imo.

Harvin isn't "bigger". He's barely an inch taller and he weighs around 8 lbs. less. That indicates a nearly identical physique. Cobb has better hands and isn't dumber than ****. He also runs excellent routes which is one of the knocks on Harvin (just look on any Vikings forum and they'll tell you all about it.)

Oh, and he also has the same first name as that weaselly little punk guard in "The Green Mile."

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harvin isn't in the top 10 WRs in the NFL, no shot at MVP. Every year there is some team or teams that overachieved the year before or signed a bunch of overpriced free agents and the media crowns them. And every year one or more of these teams disappoints tremendously. My money says Seattle is this year's overhyped team that doesn't meet expectations.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Harvin isn't in the top 10 WRs in the NFL, no shot at MVP. Every year there is some team or teams that overachieved the year before or signed a bunch of overpriced free agents and the media crowns them. And every year one or more of these teams disappoints tremendously. My money says Seattle is this year's overhyped team that doesn't meet expectations.

They may not be able to: saw it on espn news a week or so ago that the SeaCawks have had 11 players since last season to right now get in trouble for PED's......lol

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Last season he made numerous lists for MVP candidate, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...mvp-forecast-jj-watt-percy-harvin-on-the-rise

These list had yet to feature Peterson as he didn't yet explode like he did later in the season.

For some reason people seem to forget how good harvin was for the Vikings when he was on the field.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Let's cherry pick some more stats. Cobb started 8 out of 32 games the last two years. Seems he has durability issues as well. That averages to 4 games a year. See how that works.

wow great defensive come back for your former player there bud.....your (former) guy is a veteran, ours was a rookie who didn't get much play time, then used more his 2nd year, but still not as much due to other key players taking snaps. Your (former) guy was a full time starter who just happen to have menapausal headaches......tells me a lot about him. No, I didn't cherry pick stats, they are what they are, deal with it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Harvin will have the advantage of being on a better team than the Vikings. And Cobb will have the advantage of being on a prolific passing team with an elite QB who predicted Cobb is “… going to be a big-time star for us”.

If you wanted to compare the two seasons would you use gross numbers or per-catch stats? Or perhaps better yet per-target stats? I don’t care which is used since I don’t care which has the better season: If the Packers win another title and Harvin triples Cobb’s numbers – no matter how they’re calculated - I’ll be ecstatic. And if the Packers disappoint but Cobb has a clearly better season I won’t care about that matchup at all.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only worry about what other players do on the day we play them. Since the Seahawks aren't on our schedule I don't care what Harvin does.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
wow great defensive come back for your former player there bud.....your (former) guy is a veteran, ours was a rookie who didn't get much play time, then used more his 2nd year, but still not as much due to other key players taking snaps. Your (former) guy was a full time starter who just happen to have menapausal headaches......tells me a lot about him. No, I didn't cherry pick stats, they are what they are, deal with it.
Sorry, you don't get off that easy. You used game starts to determine if Harvin had durability issues, then when I point out the same on a Packer player you make the claim that he was a rookie. Well, Harvin was as rookie his first year and only started 8 games but played in 15. Yet you didn't take that into consideration. So lets take a look at Harvin's durability issues.

2009: Started 8 game played in 15. 60 receptions. Yup not very durable there.
2010: Started 13 games played in 14. 71 receptions. Man he sucked that year. Headaches must have been tough.
2011: Started 11 played in 16. 87 receptions. Must be something about those headaches. Wait, they were gone.
2012: Started 8 played in 9. 62 catches in 9 games.

So let's add this up. Over 4 years 64 games he started only 43, but to you that means he has durability issues. Yet over 64 games he played in 54. Missing 7 last year alone. So the previous three years he missed 3 games. Yup, he's not very durable. So over those 54 games he caught an average of 5.2 catches per game. Yup, not very durable.

In the last 4 years Jordy Nelson has only started 23 out of 64. Not very durable.
In the last 4 years James Jones has only started 21 out of 64. Not very durable.

Using game starts to determine durability issues is cherry picking to make a point. But if you want to use that stat for that reason, I would say the Packer have durability issues at the WR position.

BTW, I'll defend any player when people start making up crap about them using crap statistics to make their point.

And one more thing. Harvin wasn't a starter in 2009.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Someone being out for "medical" issues vs someone not getting playing time due to be more situational has nothing to do with durability. It is a KNOWN fact that Harvin missed games, key practices, and has left games early......none of which cobb has done due to medical headache crap. I can however agree with you about Nelson, last season that is......he too was plagued by a reoccuring injury and came back to early imo. Your side of the debate is invalid, to many people, including coaching staff, and sports writers had issues with Harvin and his "durability" early on in his career. He says his migranes are gone, good i hope they are, but one good head smack and they may just return.....but that could be the case for anyone I guess.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Someone being out for "medical" issues vs someone not getting playing time due to be more situational has nothing to do with durability. It is a KNOWN fact that Harvin missed games, key practices, and has left games early......none of which cobb has done due to medical headache crap. I can however agree with you about Nelson, last season that is......he too was plagued by a reoccuring injury and came back to early imo. Your side of the debate is invalid, to many people, including coaching staff, and sports writers had issues with Harvin and his "durability" early on in his career. He says his migranes are gone, good i hope they are, but one good head smack and they may just return.....but that could be the case for anyone I guess.

Really, name a game Harvin left early?? Besides the Seattle game last year were he was injured. You can't do it because it didn't happen. Yes he has missed a few game in the first two years because of headaches. Just because the perception of him being hurt is put out there by sports writers doesn't make it true. His headaches were caused by sleep apnea, something that they have taken care of. So let me get this straight. Missing 3 games in 3 years is an injury prone player, wait, sorry, the talking heads say's he is injury prone so he must be. A player who averages 132 all purpose yards per game. Tell me, how does an injury prone player do that? Not by leaving games early. Jerry Rice, the leader in all purpose yards. 78 yards per game. Wonder if he was injury prone? And I would love to see a quote from a coach, any coach that Harvin is injury prone. It's a myth that he is injury prone.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had a migraine problem. Harvin was able to control it all of last season and back into 2011. Injury and attitude were his biggest problems last year. He may have had a legitimate gripe about Ponder not putting in the time/effort to be elite, but Percy handled the situation like a spoiled little brat. Leslie Frazier is a no-nonsense person and put Percy on a train out of town. With that, Pete Carroll is night and day different from Frazier, a rah-rah coach who seems adept at handling some of the more gregarious NFL personalities. Harvin is enthusiastic about his new QB, his new team, and still possesses enormous potential. It will all come down to how he handles his emotions and attitude.

Cobb seems to be a real gem. I'll probably catch heat for this, but I think that his athletic skills are a little inferior to Harvin's. However, his intellect and attitude coupled with his athletic skills make him a much better receiver and bigger threat. He's also got a better QB and surrounding receiving corps.

Cobb should have the better season, but as we all know there are many other factors that will influence the outcome once the season starts.

Spoiled brat, atleast he didn't choke someone this time.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season he made numerous lists for MVP candidate, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...mvp-forecast-jj-watt-percy-harvin-on-the-rise

These list had yet to feature Peterson as he didn't yet explode like he did later in the season.

For some reason people seem to forget how good harvin was for the Vikings when he was on the field.

I don't forget how good he was on the Vikes. I also don't forget that he was one of only 2 options that their offense had, and the fact that no WR has ever won the AP MVP award. Oh, and the fact that Megatron would win MVP if any WR were going to win it, which is highly unlikely. The fact is that it is now a QB award, with the occasional RB winning it if he has a record breaking year.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't forget how good he was on the Vikes. I also don't forget that he was one of only 2 options that their offense had, and the fact that no WR has ever won the AP MVP award. Oh, and the fact that Megatron would win MVP if any WR were going to win it, which is highly unlikely. The fact is that it is now a QB award, with the occasional RB winning it if he has a record breaking year.

Last season if harvin played the full season like he played before he got hurt he would have been way ahead of Johnson on the MVP list.

Yes he was the only WR they had last season, so obviously teams game planned to stop only 1 WR and he still was dominate.

Btw things arent facts just bc you say they are. I think you mean it's a claim instead of a fact.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season if harvin played the full season like he played before he got hurt he would have been way ahead of Johnson on the MVP list.

Yes he was the only WR they had last season, so obviously teams game planned to stop only 1 WR and he still was dominate.

Btw things arent facts just bc you say they are. I think you mean it's a claim instead of a fact.

Johnson set the NFL record for receiving yards this year, interesting that Harvin would have finished way ahead of him. Seems realistic to me.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Cobb will have more catches, and more yards than Harvin at the end of the year. The question is, will his catches and yards mean more to the Packers then what Harvin's do in Seattle?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts