Better season: Cobb or Harvin?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question was posed by SIs Burke the other day, and it is a good one. http://nfl.si.com/2013/05/24/friday-toss-up-randall-cobb-vs-percy-harvin/

Harvin is a legit MVP candidate. Few offensive players have his impact. But several factors weigh in Cobbs favor.

1. The QB - one is a soph QB the other is the best QB in the league several years running. Wilson is good, arguably the best rookie last season (RG3 got all the attention with his flash so Wilson went overlooked). But he isnt in Rodgers league yet.
2. The offense - Seattle last season ran the offense through Lynch for most of the season. The WRs are not great in seattle so Harvin will draw double coverage often. Give a WR double coverage in GB and you are asking for Rodgers to torch your secondary. In GB the offense ran through Rodgers last season and will for the foreseeable future. Our RBs could be the 2nd coming of Jim Brown and this wouldnt change.
3. The system - Harvin is new to it. Cobb has been in the system and led the team in receptions last season.
4. Health/attitude - Harvin has a history of being a pain for coaches and often doesnt play in every game during the season due to head issues and other injuries. The vikings wouldnt have traded him if he wasnt difficult.

A seattle fan website posted about this as well as they were cited in the original article (from a tweet but watev)

http://12thmanrising.com/2013/05/26/10939/

Maybe this is just me, but when I see someone post about the Packers and misspell Rodgers name wrong I tend to blow off their opinion since they cant even get the name right. I cant take an opinion seriously if you dont even know how to spell the QB's name. I just assume you then have no idea what you are talking about.

Oh but take a peak in the comment section, I enjoyed the poster who asked who GB has besides Jones and Cobb. While Driver and Jennings left, they really werent that impactful last season for the most part. While I am a huge Finley hater, to brag about Zach Miller in your offense but not mention Finley in the Packers is just ludicrous. No mention of Nelson? Sorry but he would be in the running for #1 WR in Seattle.

Last but not least, I think Cobb might be one of the most underrated players in the league. Thanks to fantasy football that should change rather soon.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll have to put this one on file for safe-keeping.

A pretty long post and you grab a line and post a snarky comment about it? Not surprising. Too bad you don't want to actually talk football.

Oh and it's pretty well known he was a MVP candidate. From trotter of SI "Until an injury sidelined him for the final seven games last season, he was in the conversation for league MVP."
http://m.si.com/2189304/harvin-may-be-a-headache-but-that-doesnt-make-him-a-lost-cause/

Before he was injured he was on most short MVP lists. I'm sure a google search will provide you with ample documentation of that.

M

mayo44

A pretty long post and you grab a line and post a snarky comment about it? Not surprising. Too bad you don't want to actually talk football.

Oh and it's pretty well known he was a MVP candidate. From trotter of SI "Until an injury sidelined him for the final seven games last season, he was in the conversation for league MVP."
http://m.si.com/2189304/harvin-may-be-a-headache-but-that-doesnt-make-him-a-lost-cause/

Before he was injured he was on most short MVP lists. I'm sure a google search will provide you with ample documentation of that.

Yeah, he was "...in the coversation." The fact is that no WR has ever been selected for MVP. Jerry Rice never did. Sterling Sharpe didn't. Michael Irvin didn't. Art Monk didn't. Steve Largent didn't. Calvin Johnson hasn't (yet, anyway). And Percy Harvin isn't going to win it either.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahahaha Snarky. Before I ever saw your post, I was shocked to read that line also. Harvin has been a head case literally and figuratively throughout his career. Maybe the Seattle atmosphere will shape him up, but somehow I doubt it. He does seem slightly faster than Cobb, but Cobb's game seems a lot more polished. And as the article points out very well, Cobb is a lot more set up for success in Green Bay - even based on last year's team, much less with this year's changes/upgrades.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he was "...in the coversation." The fact is that no WR has ever been selected for MVP. Jerry Rice never did. Sterling Sharpe didn't. Michael Irvin didn't. Art Monk didn't. Steve Largent didn't. Calvin Johnson hasn't (yet, anyway). And Percy Harvin isn't going to win it either.

"Candidate" and "in the conversation", to me, are pretty interchangeable.

The current widely recognized MVP award was won by a kicker at one point in the 80s. T

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb for sure. Experience in the offense and better players around him to take the focus off. Rodgers thowing to him etc. I'm interested to see how RGIII, Krapperneck and Wilson do this season. Something tells me they won't be as effective with teams having a full season of film on them.

M

mayo44

"Candidate" and "in the conversation", to me, are pretty interchangeable.

The current widely recognized MVP award was won by a kicker at one point in the 80s. T

And he deserved it. In a 9-game season, he broke the record for consecutive made FGs. He had 4 game winners in the last 2 minutes of games, and he 95% of his FG attempts... as a straight-on kicker.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he deserved it. In a 9-game season, he broke the record for consecutive made FGs. He had 4 game winners in the last 2 minutes of games, and he 95% of his FG attempts... as a straight-on kicker.

No interest in debating a kicker winning the MVP.

For the record a WR has won the MVP, actually he was a 2x MVP but being a packer fan I'm sure you knew that.

M

mayo44

No interest in debating a kicker winning the MVP.

For the record a WR has won the MVP, actually he was a 2x MVP but being a packer fan I'm sure you knew that.

No WR has won the officially-recognized AP MVP award. You know, the one the NFL endorses.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question was posed by SIs Burke the other day, and it is a good one.

The topic seems a bit contrived, maybe interesting to fantasy footballers. But I don't really care how these two stack up against one another in 2013. I'm far more interested in seeing which one is playing in January.

P.S.: Mayo being a quibbling turd? -I'm shocked.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The topic seems a bit contrived, maybe interesting to fantasy footballers. But I don't really care how these two stack up against one another in 2013. I'm far more interested in seeing which one is playing in January.

P.S.: Mayo being a quibbling turd? -I'm shocked.

You are right as its more of a fantasy football convo but since its the dead season of pro ftball I thought it was worth a post.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right as its more of a fantasy football convo but since its the dead season of pro ftball I thought it was worth a post.

I gotcha- it was more a knock on the article you linked.

You're keeping things lively during a slow time of year. I appreciate your adding topics for discussion.

Looks like I was being a turd too.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb all the way. I can't get over the fact that Harvin has a serious problem with those migraines. That to me is a major red flag, that's the type of injury that can swing in and truly affect production and film study. I just feel like his days are numbered. If he can stay healthy though Harvin could do some damage in Seattle but after a year of film study I would like to see how defenses play Russel Wilson this year.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't get over the fact that Harvin has a serious problem with those migraines. That to me is a major red flag...
Had a migraine problem. Harvin was able to control it all of last season and back into 2011. Injury and attitude were his biggest problems last year. He may have had a legitimate gripe about Ponder not putting in the time/effort to be elite, but Percy handled the situation like a spoiled little brat. Leslie Frazier is a no-nonsense person and put Percy on a train out of town. With that, Pete Carroll is night and day different from Frazier, a rah-rah coach who seems adept at handling some of the more gregarious NFL personalities. Harvin is enthusiastic about his new QB, his new team, and still possesses enormous potential. It will all come down to how he handles his emotions and attitude.

Cobb seems to be a real gem. I'll probably catch heat for this, but I think that his athletic skills are a little inferior to Harvin's. However, his intellect and attitude coupled with his athletic skills make him a much better receiver and bigger threat. He's also got a better QB and surrounding receiving corps.

Cobb should have the better season, but as we all know there are many other factors that will influence the outcome once the season starts.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had a migraine problem. Harvin was able to control it all of last season and back into 2011. Injury and attitude were his biggest problems last year. .

Maybe, but from personal experience head injuries are unpredictable. One season he may be good, next season can be a wreck, especially if its chronic. But if its chronic migraines and just the way it is for him, then maybe he can lock it down with meds, I don't know. Is that what Harvin has??

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If harvin was the only WR on the seaCawks and cobb was the only WR the packers had, then I think that cobb win easily.....but the fact that GB has a MUCH better WR corps than the seaCawks do....cobb wont get as much attention as harvin will out there. Wilson tends to toss those short to mid passes that harvin exels at....not that cobb cant to that also, but having to deal with such other good WR's such as Jones, Nelson he wont have as much attention as harvin. Yes, harvin is dangerous but I think in his short career Cobb has progressed at an amazing pace and matured quickly due to good mentoring. Not to mention, harvin has has "some" durability issues in his career. Kind of a toss up question imo

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not sold on Wilson or any of the 2012 rookie phenom qb's. And I'll put Krapneck in there too since he was a 1st year starter and no one really had film on his style of play. I'm interested to see how they do now that D's have a year's worth of film on them. That could have an impact on Harvin as well.

The whole thing is kind of a wash but I'm glad we have Cobb and not Harvin.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm still not sold on Wilson or any of the 2012 rookie phenom qb's. And I'll put Krapneck in there too since he was a 1st year starter and no one really had film on his style of play. I'm interested to see how they do now that D's have a year's worth of film on them. That could have an impact on Harvin as well.

The whole thing is kind of a wash but I'm glad we have Cobb and not Harvin.

Harvin will outplay Cobb and then get hurt. Cobb will have the better year.

I'd be fairly confident the 49ers will curtail K's run options. He'll still be threat to break the pocket and gash you, but there's not a lot you can do to mitigate that except play a lot of zone. I wouldn't be so confident in this prediction if Kaepernick was not developing into a fine passer of the football and an emerging field general. I don't think I've seen a first time starter call that many audibles. Wilson? He's more of a gamer-grinder. I can see him taking called runs from time to time. Put him in a traditional pocket passing role and his value diminishes; I don't think that's the case with Kaepernick.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Harvin, while in the running last year for MVP before getting hurt, will not be in the running this year. If he gets 55 catches I would be surprised. Golden Tate and Sydney Rice are pretty good WR's, don't sell them short. If I had to say who will have a more productive season. Cobb. Just in the fact that the Packer are more likely to throw the ball than run it. The only "durability" issue's Harvin has had are is injury from last year and his past problems with migraines. Which he no longer has. My prediction is that Harvin will start complaining about not being more involved in getting the ball if the Seahawks start falling behind and might not make the playoffs. Harvin is said to not like Ponder. Funny because he was catching 6.55 passes per game from Ponder. He won't come close to that in Seattle.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
percy harvin games started: 2009 - 8, 2010 - 13, 2011 - 14, 2012 - 8.

2011 was the most starts he has ever had. Some might say that missing a half a season twice so far in a short career is "durability issues", no matter what he was out for, he was out of the game and non-productive. That to me is durability issues. He has been considered a starter and has played on 43 out of 64 games.....missing 21 games in 4 years averages out to 5 games per year, by the numbers. That is not good.

Also, the day percy harvin is a MVP in a league FILLED with better and more productive WR's is the day I buy his jersey....I doubt that will ever happen so my money and pride are safe. Silly vikes fan.....how can such a guy compete with the likes of calvin johnson and MANY other WR's that would be put ahead of him....not to mention, a QB most always wins MVP.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if its chronic migraines and just the way it is for him, then maybe he can lock it down with meds, I don't know. Is that what Harvin has??
It wasn't a head injury but chronic migraines that he's dealt with most of his life. The Vikings sent him to the Mayo Clinic and now he's supposedly cured....hallelujah:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/migraines-no-longer-a-concern-for-percy-harvin/
During his first few years with the Minnesota Vikings, Percy Harvin had been plagued by migraines that affected his ability to perform in practice and even games.
Harvin missed three games and countless practices in Minnesota as migraines would appear and render Harvin completely incapable of performing. However, Harvin believes those struggles are officially in the past.
“I haven’t had a migraine in two years now,” Harvin said. “Been fully healthy from that aspect so everything’s been good. I’m going to knock on wood that nothing resurfaces but it’s been all great.”
Harvin was diagnosed with sleep apnea after an episode where he collapsed at practice during training camp in 2010. Harvin thanked Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and the Wilf family for sending him to the Mayo Clinic to be evaluated and to take care of him during his medical issues. With the diagnosis in place and knowing how to treat it, Harvin hasn’t had a migraine since.
The news has to be music to the ears of the Seattle Seahawks front office in knowing that their offensive weapon won’t be missing any time with them because of the ailment.

Members online

Latest posts