Better market to trade Flynn?

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today, Andrew Luck decided to stay at school and not enter the draft.
Yesterday, the Titans cut Vince Young.

I assume that the Packers are at the very least going to entertain offers for Matt Flynn this offseason. There are several teams that were already looking to draft a young quarterback. Now the Titans are left with just Kerry Collins, so you have to think that they would want to bring in a young guy. Now that the top quarterback decided not to enter the draft, maybe some of these teams will be more willing to go after Flynn who proved he had what it takes against the Patriots. Don't get me wrong, I would love for Flynn to stay a Packer. But if we can get a good draft pick for him, I say we do it.

So what do you guys think? Will these recent moves help the Packers in trading Flynn (i.e. better draft pick)?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the young move is a wash as some team will take a shot on him, but Luck will help. I would not be shocked at getting a #1 for him.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not always that simple. Would you take moving up 15 spots in the draft? Or a 3 and 4?

Yeah, I remember them doing something like that with Hasselbeck right?

It was like a 2nd round pick and they flipped spots with Seattle in the first round. Something like that.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the young move is a wash as some team will take a shot on him, but Luck will help. I would not be shocked at getting a #1 for him.

I assume you are talking about packaging him with some other picks or something to move up into the first round. Because I would be very shocked to get a first round pick for him straight up. I would definitely love to use him to move up into the first round. We already have plenty of depth and few needs, so we could sacrifice quantity of picks to get some really good ones. Just two years ago we moved up into the first round and got Raji and Matthews. Worked out pretty well that time, why not do it again?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about packaging him with some other picks or something to move up into the first round. Because I would be very shocked to get a first round pick for him straight up. I would definitely love to use him to move up into the first round. We already have plenty of depth and few needs, so we could sacrifice quantity of picks to get some really good ones. Just two years ago we moved up into the first round and got Raji and Matthews. Worked out pretty well that time, why not do it again?

Matt Schaub started one game in Atlanta, against NE, threw 3 tds and almost 300 yards. He was traded for 2 2s and the falcons moved up from 10th to 8th in the draft. A number one shouldnt be a surprise but I think it will be a more complicated deal than just a straight pick. It will be interesting to see how many teams make the call.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh ok, I thought the Schaub trade only included one 2nd round pick. That makes getting a first rounder a little more plausible.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Matt Flynn, but he isn't going to be starting over Rodgers at Green Bay in the near future. So we may aswell get a good deal for him while we can. No point letting talent go to waste at the #2 QB position if we can get a good trade for him. Now, if Rodger's was Brett's age, it'd be a different story!

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of packaging Flynn and picks together to get another first round pick. Right now we have a solid core with very few weaknesses (IMO they are OG to help developing running game and another OLB or a stud DE to take pressure off of Matthews). If we draft two young studs at these positions we would make these two weaknesses some of our strengths in a couple years. Based on history for what good back-ups have gone for I would say Flynn and a 3rd rounder would allow us to receive a mid first rounder very realisticlly.

Here are some teams that I feel will be looking for QB help this offseason.

Definites
Miami- 15th
Buffalo- 3rd
Tennessee- 8th
Oakland- No First Rounder
Denver-2nd
Washington-10th
Minnesota-12th
San Fran- 7th
Arizona- 5th

Potential
Cleveland- 6th
Carolina- 1st
Cincinnati- 4th

Now I know there are other QB options (other back-ups, I would assume McNabb, Young, Draft, and hell probably Favre). But I'd have to say that Minn, Washington, Tenn, and Miami are most likely to give us a first rounder for Flynn and a second or third rounder. I really wouldn't mind him going to any of these teams except for Minn but if they are willing I would reluctantly do it.
I have no idea what I am talking about here though, I have not heard about any details for a trade or his value except for on this site so this may just be pie in the sky.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets swing a deal like Dallas did with the queenies....

People in Texas are still laughing about that one!!! :viksux:

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade]Herschel Walker trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of packaging Flynn and picks together to get another first round pick. Right now we have a solid core with very few weaknesses (IMO they are OG to help developing running game and another OLB or a stud DE to take pressure off of Matthews). If we draft two young studs at these positions we would make these two weaknesses some of our strengths in a couple years. Based on history for what good back-ups have gone for I would say Flynn and a 3rd rounder would allow us to receive a mid first rounder very realisticlly.

Here are some teams that I feel will be looking for QB help this offseason.

Definites
Miami- 15th
Buffalo- 3rd
Tennessee- 8th
Oakland- No First Rounder
Denver-2nd
Washington-10th
Minnesota-12th
San Fran- 7th
Arizona- 5th

Potential
Cleveland- 6th
Carolina- 1st
Cincinnati- 4th

Now I know there are other QB options (other back-ups, I would assume McNabb, Young, Draft, and hell probably Favre). But I'd have to say that Minn, Washington, Tenn, and Miami are most likely to give us a first rounder for Flynn and a second or third rounder. I really wouldn't mind him going to any of these teams except for Minn but if they are willing I would reluctantly do it.
I have no idea what I am talking about here though, I have not heard about any details for a trade or his value except for on this site so this may just be pie in the sky.

A 1 and 2 is a stretch. I think we swap picks in the first and get a 3rd or something like that more than just grabbed an extra 1 and more.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 1 and 2 is a stretch. I think we swap picks in the first and get a 3rd or something like that more than just grabbed an extra 1 and more.

Oh no I was thinking we trade flynn and either one of our second or third round picks for the other teams first round pick.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aneone thinking that a Flynn trade would make an impact on this draft picks are up for disappointment. Flynn cannot be traded, or any other player, for that matter until there is a new CBA. If that is done before the draft, that's great, but not likely. Also, what makes people think we are going to get a #1 pick for Flynn? Cutler was traded for another QB, two first rounders, and a second rounder, but he has a million dollar arm and had started for a while in Denver. Also, Charlie Whitehurst was traded last year for pretty much a little more than a third round pick, but he was also drafted in the third round. I think best case scenario is a 4th rounder for Flynn.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aneone thinking that a Flynn trade would make an impact on this draft picks are up for disappointment. Flynn cannot be traded, or any other player, for that matter until there is a new CBA. If that is done before the draft, that's great, but not likely. Also, what makes people think we are going to get a #1 pick for Flynn? Cutler was traded for another QB, two first rounders, and a second rounder, but he has a million dollar arm and had started for a while in Denver. Also, Charlie Whitehurst was traded last year for pretty much a little more than a third round pick, but he was also drafted in the third round. I think best case scenario is a 4th rounder for Flynn.

I think your making bad comparisons. How about Matt Schuab? Started 1 game with ATL, against the Pats actually. He threw 298 yards and 3 TDs in a 31-28 loss (wow that sounds similar). The Falcons traded him to the Texans in March of that year for 2 2nd round picks, and they swapped first round picks. I think the league as a whole is pretty high on flynn, as you always hear he is the best back up QB in the league. I think a 1st is possible but I would rather move up in the draft and take another draft pick as well in a later round.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
a #2 or if we can trade him and like our 3rd or 4th pick and get another 1st rounder that would be great too

Favre4Ever

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like Matt Flynn, but he isn't going to be starting over Rodgers at Green Bay in the near future. So we may aswell get a good deal for him while we can. No point letting talent go to waste at the #2 QB position if we can get a good trade for him. Now, if Rodger's was Brett's age, it'd be a different story!

Let's be serious... He will NEVER be starting above Aaron. hehe :D

He is a decent QB, but nothing special, IMO. A lot like Matt Hasselbeck, actually.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if we can somehow make a deal to trade him to the Cardinals and get Fitzgerald, Both on their final year and Cardinal's need a QB.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree we should trade him eventually, but we can't until the CBA is done. I would be happy with a 3rd or 4th rounder, because all we used was a 7th. There is no way we get Fitzgerald, sorry. He is getting ready to sign an extension from my knowledge.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Cam Newton - I hope he goes to the Vikings! He has bust written all over him: ton of hype, big arm, only one year of playing level experience.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if we can somehow make a deal to trade him to the Cardinals and get Fitzgerald, Both on their final year and Cardinal's need a QB.

I think it would need to be Flynn and and our 1st to get Fitz. I dont think TT would do it but AZ would have to consider it if it was offered.

Matty Flynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a total Matt Flynn fanboy, which I totally am, but if we trade him get the draft pick and whatever the Packers would be without a soild back-up QB.

Please just tell me to shut up if I sound i like I don't know anything, because I probably don't.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts