Better career with team Peyton and colts or Brett and the Pack?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think questions like these are so subjective but like I said if you are starting a team and you can choose from any QB in history Peyton Manning is in the top 5 and Brett Favre might not crack the top 10. That's how I judge who is better in my mind. Favre has more stats but I don't think that equates to a better career (given a minimum amount of playing time)

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to compare. They were both successful and integral to their franchise. Favre didn't have offensive talent like Harrison, Wayne, Clark and James. Pass protection for Peyton was stellar in mid 2000s. Then again Peyton didn't have a secondary. In terms of raw talent, I'd go with Peyton. Who achieved more? I'd say Favre since he played against a variety elite competition year round during the playoffs.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
TBH I am not sure how Peyton is going to say no to John Elway. From all I have gathered they have hit it off pretty damn well.Elway also can bring in a few of his buddies cut from Indy.

Bud Adams? Oh Good God.....creepy.

Niners? Caught me off guard but I don't love the idea of the Niners+Moss+Manning. It just does not feel right to me even if on paper it's the best bet.

This coverage lately is almost getting obsessive too. I think Peyton is being stalked.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Horse-a-piece. Its a tie. Both underachieved when it came to winning titles, but at least both won one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
TBH I am not sure how Peyton is going to say no to John Elway. From all I have gathered they have hit it off pretty damn well.Elway also can bring in a few of his buddies cut from Indy.

Bud Adams? Oh Good God.....creepy.

Niners? Caught me off guard but I don't love the idea of the Niners+Moss+Manning. It just does not feel right to me even if on paper it's the best bet.

This coverage lately is almost getting obsessive too. I think Peyton is being stalked.

No tv cameras following a jet, or a helicopter following a suv into gagarge?? Now that is stalking lol

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre averaged 1.5 turnovers per game his entire career. And lasted over 20 years. That alone qualifies him as the greatest phenomenon in football ever.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think I know which one John Madden would pick.

Favre was the ultimate backyard qb. I loved Favre, he was a big part of my following the pack. I also think he should have retired when he left the pack. I didn't leave with him. I don't see him as a traitor, I see him as someone who was too desperate to relive his glory days and keep playing the sport he loved. He went to the vikings because they gave him the chance to play because they, having been sauced by him for many years, thought they knew his worth. I DID however love watching him blow games in purple, as much as it frustrated me when he wore green. Gambling additction?

Peyton on the other hand, while he didn't have the stats (physically or game numbers), is IMO the most intelligent qb to play the game. He was also his own worst enemy. He over thought plays, or just plain got too fancy, and it cost him. He was the general and thus technically the better qb.

I pick Favre because he did much more with much less in his favor. The man took a paycut because he was tired of getting hit, and his love for the game made him fun to watch even if you were eating your cheese hat.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pick Favre because he did much more with much less in his favor. The man took a paycut because he was tired of getting hit, and his love for the game made him fun to watch even if you were eating your cheese hat.
Favre took a paycut?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't see him as a traitor, I see him as someone who was too desperate to relive his glory days and keep playing the sport he loved. He went to the vikings because they gave him the chance to play because they, having been sauced by him for many years, thought they knew his worth… The man took a paycut because he was tired of getting hit, and his love for the game made him fun to watch even if you were eating your cheese hat.
I have posted I view Favre as a traitor to the Packers. I understand reasonable fans can differ on that and on how they view Favre generally. However, I do find it interesting those with more favorable views of Favre often (not always) either don’t include all of his actions or mischaracterize them. For example, HyponGrey says above Favre went to the Vikings because they gave him a chance to play, apparently forgetting the Jets gave him that chance. The only reason Favre ended up going to the Vikings was he told the Jets he was retiring and they released him. IMO that was a blatant lie in order to accomplish Favre’s stated goal of “sticking it” to Ted Thompson. No matter how others categorize his "retirement" from the Jets, there is absolutely no evidence Favre couldn’t have returned to the Jets in order to continue playing. If he just wanted to play, he could have continued to do so in New York.

Over the years even before what I view as the Favre-created mess in 2008, IMO some Packers fans misunderstood what happened when Favre agreed to renegotiate his contract in order to free up cap space for the Packers. What happened was Favre either agreed to re-characterize money he was due to receive as salary as a bonus, or otherwise agreed to accept future payments early. It is the equivalent of an employee agreeing to accept her year-end bonus in March. Because of the time value of money, Favre was either benefited or was left unaffected financially by those renegotiations. I am not aware of a single instance in which Favre agreed to take less money during a re-structuring of his deals with the Packers. To be fair, it was reported Favre offered to accept less money if the Packers acquired Randy Moss, but that of course never took place. Obviously I don’t like Favre but I don’t blame him for not taking a “paycut”, I just want to set the record straight.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I have posted I view Favre as a traitor to the Packers. I understand reasonable fans can differ on that and on how they view Favre generally. However, I do find it interesting those with more favorable views of Favre often (not always) either don’t include all of his actions or mischaracterize them. For example, HyponGrey says above Favre went to the Vikings because they gave him a chance to play, apparently forgetting the Jets gave him that chance. The only reason Favre ended up going to the Vikings was he told the Jets he was retiring and they released him. IMO that was a blatant lie in order to accomplish Favre’s stated goal of “sticking it” to Ted Thompson. No matter how others categorize his "retirement" from the Jets, there is absolutely no evidence Favre couldn’t have returned to the Jets in order to continue playing. If he just wanted to play, he could have continued to do so in New York.

Over the years even before what I view as the Favre-created mess in 2008, IMO some Packers fans misunderstood what happened when Favre agreed to renegotiate his contract in order to free up cap space for the Packers. What happened was Favre either agreed to re-characterize money he was due to receive as salary as a bonus, or otherwise agreed to accept future payments early. It is the equivalent of an employee agreeing to accept her year-end bonus in March. Because of the time value of money, Favre was either benefited or was left unaffected financially by those renegotiations. I am not aware of a single instance in which Favre agreed to take less money during a re-structuring of his deals with the Packers. To be fair, it was reported Favre offered to accept less money if the Packers acquired Randy Moss, but that of course never took place. Obviously I don’t like Favre but I don’t blame him for not taking a “paycut”, I just want to set the record straight.

I do thank you for setting the record straight. However I reply with "shrugs." I had heard that the Jets wouldn't take him back the second time, but If you have heard otherwise then I am inclined to listen to the one who has been listening longer. I still think he should have stayed retired when he took off the green and gold. I also feel that TT probably did not feel "stuck to" when Favre joined the vikings. I think he was too busy talking with MM about what to do with all the turnovers Woodson would grab.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never heard the jets wouldn't take him back.

If that was the case why did he bother retiring? Why didn't the jets try and trade him somewhere else other than the NFC north?

weebles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manning has an edge only because of the interceptions that Favre made by forcing passes that shouldn't have been made. Guessing Favre was by far the more exciting QB to watch, but I'm kinda biased in that. :p

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What you talking bout? This never happened.....right?:cry:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I think I slowly rolled over onto the floor in slow motion when it did happen though......
Probably the greatest moment in sports history.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The only reason Favre ended up going to the Vikings was he told the Jets he was retiring and they released him. IMO that was a blatant lie in order to accomplish Favre’s stated goal of “sticking it” to Ted Thompson. No matter how others categorize his "retirement" from the Jets, there is absolutely no evidence Favre couldn’t have returned to the Jets in order to continue playing. If he just wanted to play, he could have continued to do so in New York.

I have been told he just changed his mind...

;)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I do thank you for setting the record straight. However I reply with "shrugs." I had heard that the Jets wouldn't take him back the second time, but If you have heard otherwise then I am inclined to listen to the one who has been listening longer. I still think he should have stayed retired when he took off the green and gold. I also feel that TT probably did not feel "stuck to" when Favre joined the vikings. I think he was too busy talking with MM about what to do with all the turnovers Woodson would grab.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/10/04/rex-ryan-was-interested-in-keeping-brett-favre/

when Rex Ryan replaced Eric Mangini as the Jets' coach in January of 2009 he had designs on trying to lure Favre out of retirement and admitted Monday that had the team not been successful in trading up to draft Mark Sanchez in the first round, he would have gone after Favre very hard. That revelation first appeared on the Newark Star-Ledger's website in a story by Jenny Vrentas.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Regarding the other issue about Thompson’s feelings and whether or not he felt “stuck to”, Thompson inserted a clause into the trade agreement with that Jets that if they traded Favre to an NFC North team, they would owe the Packers three first round picks. From all of his actions at the time, its clear Thompson didn’t want Favre to go to the Vikings and the results of the Packers/Vikings games in 2009 justified that feeling. Of course Thompson realized the ultimate “revenge” and was completely vindicated in 2010.

The eighth paragraph of this story details the “poison pill” clause inserted in the Packers/Jets trade of Favre.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?confirm=true&id=09000d5d809ccdb9&template=with-video

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the other issue about Thompson’s feelings and whether or not he felt “stuck to”, Thompson inserted a clause into the trade agreement with that Jets that if they traded Favre to an NFC North team, they would owe the Packers three first round picks. From all of his actions at the time, its clear Thompson didn’t want Favre to go to the Vikings and the results of the Packers/Vikings games in 2009 justified that feeling. Of course Thompson realized the ultimate “revenge” and was completely vindicated in 2010.

The eighth paragraph of this story details the “poison pill” clause inserted in the Packers/Jets trade of Favre.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?confirm=true&id=09000d5d809ccdb9&template=with-video

Yup...

Rob Dibble ex pitcher in majors has a radio show..He was talking about a player being traded from one baseball team to another..

He said ....You NEVER trade with in the division..and if you do, you need your head examined

Now granted this was baseball, but the point is still valid..

No matter how much whinning/crying/*****ing Favre fans do and say it was wrong..It was a SOLID business move..

Members online

Latest posts