Best options?

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has been following the nose tackle prospects that are available from this years draft. I personally am worried about the next guy if raji doesn't prove extension worthy. Maybe a back up plan kind of guy in rounds 3-7. I read something on Timmy Jernigan and that's what sparked my interest. Don't know much about him though. Sorry if this didn't deserve a new thread, couldn't find a place to post it. It would be nice to find a HARD WORKING anchor on the D Line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Daniel McCullers. Basically just because of his size. He apparently is also one of the strongest nose tackles in the draft, or so I saw in the reports I've read. I think he could be too much for a lot of smaller offensive lineman to handle. Might be able to grab him in round 4 if he falls.

PackfanFB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft subforum:
http://www.packerforum.com/forums/draft-talk.26/

Light reading:
http://walterfootball.com/draft2014NT.php

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/DT

I worry about guys as big as McCullers. No heart can push a frame that large very hard. He's going to be a limited snaps kind of guy.

This. McCullers' is so big and tall that I immediately wonder why he did not dominate in collage and is only being considered a mid-late round guy. My favorite NT options are DaQuan Jones and Justin Ellis. Jones is about 315 (down from about 330 during his earlier years at Penn State) and is versatile to the point where he could play either outside as a 5-tech (has good height at 6'4") or play the nose because he is a stout run defender. Seems like our kind of guy because we like to move our D-linemen around like Raji and Pickett did.

Ellis is more of a Pickett body type, he's shorter (6'2") and heavier (335) than Jones but he's quick and plays mean. He's been compared to a Shaun Rogers type in terms of his aggressive demeanor. But unlike Rogers, Ellis supposedly has a good work ethic.

A later round guy could be Deandre Coleman from Cal. Has a similar body-type as Jones, tall and leaner (about 315). Good against the run, doesn't offer much against the pass.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. McCullers' is so big and tall that I immediately wonder why he did not dominate in collage and is only being considered a mid-late round guy. My favorite NT options are DaQuan Jones and Justin Ellis. Jones is about 315 (down from about 330 during his earlier years at Penn State) and is versatile to the point where he could play either outside as a 5-tech (has good height at 6'4") or play the nose because he is a stout run defender. Seems like our kind of guy because we like to move our D-linemen around like Raji and Pickett did.

Ellis is more of a Pickett body type, he's shorter (6'2") and heavier (335) than Jones but he's quick and plays mean. He's been compared to a Shaun Rogers type in terms of his aggressive demeanor. But unlike Rogers, Ellis supposedly has a good work ethic.

A later round guy could be Deandre Coleman from Cal. Has a similar body-type as Jones, tall and leaner (about 315). Good against the run, doesn't offer much against the pass.

Yeah I had Ellis being taken by us in my mock. But I don't know much about him. Does he have any pass rush ability?

PackfanFB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I had Ellis being taken by us in my mock. But I don't know much about him. Does he have any pass rush ability?

I believe he only had one sack in college so you're certainly not drafting him for his pass rush ability. He's a big body that would fit well in our system as a NT, mainly as a 2-down run stuffer. He does possess quickness though and I would imagine has a decent bull rush. Just did not see that reflected in his stats.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe a back up plan kind of guy in rounds 3-7. I read something on Timmy Jernigan and that's what sparked my interest. Don't know much about him though. Sorry if this didn't deserve a new thread, couldn't find a place to post it. It would be nice to find a HARD WORKING anchor on the D Line.

Jernigan will be gone in the first round though.

McCullers' is so big and tall that I immediately wonder why he did not dominate in collage and is only being considered a mid-late round guy.

McCullers doesn´t offer a lot rushing the passer, but he´s tough to move in the run game and is capable of holding up well inside and sliding off blockers to handle two-gap responsibilities.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Jernigan isn't a NT, and McCullers is probably more of a 5 tech than a 0 tech (see: Cody/Geathers)

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jernigan will be gone in the first round though.

McCullers doesn´t offer a lot rushing the passer, but he´s tough to move in the run game and is capable of holding up well inside and sliding off blockers to handle two-gap responsibilities.

Yeah wouldn't Jernigan be a DE in our scheme at his size?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah wouldn't Jernigan be a DE in our scheme at his size?

Yeah, but that would mainly just be because wouldn't really fit at NT. Jernigan wouldn't be an ideal DE; he's a little short and I'm not sure if his speed is sufficient to pressure from the outside. He's a very good tackle prospect but that's a different skill set than DE.

The guy from Tennessee might be a decent project but he certainly wasn't impact player last season which is somewhat concerning. The Penn State guy might be interesting but if i recall correctly didn't really play during season that at that weight so I'm not sure how to project him at NT.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts