Best and Worst experiences meeting a Packer in public

yellowsnow0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm new to the board. Big Packer fan! I've lived in Green Bay for the last 5 years, and the fox valley for the last 10 years. I just had one of the most disapointing Packer experiences today. My wife and I were in Younkers, I was going into the fitting room and my wife says. Hey hon, is that Al Harris? I'm like yup, thats Al. So I tried on some pants and I come out and my wife said, he's an ***hole! I'm like why... she said I asked if I could get a picture taken with him on my cell phone and he said, I'm not Al Harris. So when he checked out the lady at the register asked for his ID, when Al walked away she shook her head and she said yes that was Al Harris. I know there not obligated to do anything. Just don't lie, just say no, or I don't do that, not today. Just wasn't cool.... my wife and I both had our Green Bay Packer hats on. What kinda of Packer fans did he think we were. I hope some of you have had better experiences.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea thats AL ... i worked in the austun strauble airport ,,, the restraunt as a cook ... i had the chance to talk to many of the players that would stop in and eat .... my waiter was always upset with al harris ... the guy always ate at the restraunt ,,, never even droped a buck for a tip ...
i will say i had the chance to meet Mark Tauscher .... great guy ,, real funny ... the guy signed a auto for me right at his table ... wasnt scared to talk football at all ... i also talked to Green when he was in green bay ,,, hes was another friendly guy to talk to ....

PacFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was around 10 my mom took me to an autograph signing by Ray Nitschke at a local bank in Madison. Mr. Nitschke thought that I had butted in front of another kid and let me know it in front of everyone. I couldn't stand him for years after that! I think it was around the time he was still on the sauce and probably had a rough night. Of course, we all know that he turned about to be a true gentleman. I've long since forgiven him.

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yellowsnow0 said:
Hi everybody! I'm new to the board. Big Packer fan! I've lived in Green Bay for the last 5 years, and the fox valley for the last 10 years. I just had one of the most disapointing Packer experiences today. My wife and I were in Younkers, I was going into the fitting room and my wife says. Hey hon, is that Al Harris? I'm like yup, thats Al. So I tried on some pants and I come out and my wife said, he's an ***hole! I'm like why... she said I asked if I could get a picture taken with him on my cell phone and he said, I'm not Al Harris. So when he checked out the lady at the register asked for his ID, when Al walked away she shook her head and she said yes that was Al Harris. I know there not obligated to do anything. Just don't lie, just say no, or I don't do that, not today. Just wasn't cool.... my wife and I both had our Green Bay Packer hats on. What kinda of Packer fans did he think we were. I hope some of you have had better experiences.

sorry, to hear you met a **** headed packer player. maybe meeting someone like aaron would be better

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'll say something in defense of public figures. Sometimes they appreciate their privacy even when out in public. Maybe asking for the cell phone pic was more than Al could go for.
A gracious decline would have been preferable but who among us hasn't snapped at somebody or something that catches us at a bad time?
I recall a story about Vince Lombardi dining out at a restaurant with his family once. Another of the diners saw and recognized him and kept staring at him thru the meal. Then, when Vince got up to go to the men's room the guy followed him in and stood behind him at the ****** and asked for his autograph. When Vince asked why he was bothering him for one in the restroom the guy replied, " I didn't want to disturb you while you were eating."

azlambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year, I was in a New Balance shoe store in Scottsdale, Arizona during the season and here comes former lineman Kevin Barry. I knew exactly who he was so I approached him......we both had something in common, (his size 16EEEE shoe and my size 17D shoe), so conversation was easy! He was one of the most pleasant guys I had ever met.....we discussed Favre, the Packers and his current career with the Texans.

Again in Scottsdale, I was in the Scottsdale fashion Square Mall and walked right past Bart Starr in a Nordstom......TALK ABOUT A MISSED OPPORTUNITY!

In 2002, I had flown to Milwaukee to attend the Packers October 20th game against the Redskins..........I was walking out of the airport and ran right into Irv Favre. I shook his hand and spoke to him briefly about Brett. He was very receptive to conversation.

In 1991 I was on a date (in Las Cruces, NM) and my date introduced me to a guy named Darius Holland......he was attending Mayfield High School at the time. Later on in his college days, he was drafted by the Packers. In 1997, I ran into him again in Las Cruces and spoke with him briefly.........he wasn't all that cool to talk with so I left him alone. I had later found out that kids were asking him for autograph at a local trading card shop and was asking each kid for $5.00!!!

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yellowsnow0 said:

Patrick Roy did that, when he first arrived in Denver to play for the Avalance.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yellowsnow0 said:
... she said I asked if I could get a picture taken with him on my cell phone and he said, I'm not Al Harris.

I can understand... a cozy picture with Al & another woman, just what Al needs circulating around the internet. Times have changed folks, a simple picture is not what it used to be. Maybe he would have signed your hat instead? Agreed, denying who he was, shameful.

My sister told me of an encounter with Favre at a pub in GB in the early '90s. He approached her table of friends, making conversation & spraying saliva in her face the entire time.

Another encounter with Aaron Rodgers about a year or two ago, (this is heresay btw) found him visibly disappointed that the table of feminina didn't recognize him.

Gilbert Brown signed an autograph for my sister while waiting in line to pay for gas several years ago.

James Lofton & Mike Douglass signed autographs for my sister years ago while patronizing a refreshment stand in Port Plaza Mall.

I live in FL & don't as many oppotunities to meet players or coaches like my family in GB does. Once though in Dec. of '97 I was home for the holidays & we were out at some downtown watering holes & saw Antonio Freeman & Dorsey Levens hanging out.

I happened to pass Freeman at one point & patted him on the shoulder with an encouraging "all the way, man!" & got a nonchalant "thanks". It was still pretty cool.

Later on an "Oprah, Uma - Uma, Oprah" moment occured when some friends thought it funny to introduce "Dorsey, Darcy - Darcy, Dorsey", one of the ladies in our group. That was a mistake. He seemed aggravated at the poor attempt at humor. It was after the Letterman joke at the Academy Awards so we thought it might break the ice. Not.

Come to find out (the next day) Mark Chmura had been at the club adjacent to the one we were at that night signing autographs & making small talk with everybody.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doughsellz said:
My sister told me of an encounter with Favre at a pub in GB in the early '90s. He approached her table of friends, making conversation & spraying saliva in her face the entire time.

Favre must have been pretty drunk to "share" whatever he was drinking with your sister and her friends. Did your sister tell him, "excuse me, but I already had my shower today".

Members online

Latest posts