Bengals sign Marshall Newhouse

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I wonder what the contract terms are? It would be a total shock to me if we ended getting a comp pic for him. That's almost thievery.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Newhouse is/was a mystery to me. The guy had the ‘tangibles’ to be a decent OT IMO, but just wasn’t mentally tough or focused enough. One of his biggest faults was not finishing blocks. With all the money on the line, let alone personal pride, I never understood why he couldn’t just focus on finishing blocks. Like MD Jennings it’s addition by subtraction. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for both of ‘em (I hope not) but the Packers will avoid ‘doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results’.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the Bengals not watch this guy play. He was pathetic. They would be better off with an undrafted rookie. They just got weaker.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish him all the best. It just didn't work out with him but it doesn't mean he wont get back on track with the Bengals. Giacomini never made the Packers roster and still end up winning a SB as a starting RT (I know he didn't spent that much time in GB, but anyway...)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
guys relax. I got a text from Marvin Lewis earlier and he told me that Newhouse was bought in so that the young guys can learn what not to do as a tackle in the NFL . They plan on releasing him right after training camp.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointing. I was hoping he was headed to Chicago or Detroit to protect the blind side of Cutler or Stafford.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'll say this ... Newhouse was not very good. But I hardly think he was any worse than Alan Barbre, Breno Giocomini (yes, I know he's a Seahawks starter now) but he sucked in GB, Jermon Meredith, Daryn Colledge, Junius Coston, Caleb Schauderoff, etc. Seriously ... when Ted hired McCarthy and they were all gung-ho about being this zone blocking scheme crap - I knew Ted would draft all these javelin-tossin' track stars, disguised to be NFL offensive linemen. The ZBS is garbage and so are most of the o-line guys he drafted for it. Thankfully, they've secretly thrown in the towel on that pipedream, even though they'd never admit it. Regardless, he found a gem in Sitton and some of the select few who have panned out.

It still drives me NUTS that he's never spent a high-round pick on a true franchise, bonafide center.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Newhouse was better than Barbre and Breno but Colledge was better than Newhouse. But happily that's a moot point now.

EDIT:
I got a kick out this:
"Marshall has played a lot of football for Green Bay," said Paul Alexander, the Bengals' offensive line coach. "He'll be a quality addition to our line. He's played left tackle and right tackle, and has experience in big games." Newhouse, 6 feet 4 inches and 319 pounds, allowed a whopping 21 1/2 sacks from 2011-'12 primarily as the starter at left tackle. Last year, he opened training camp as the starting right tackle but was beat out by Don Barclay. He ended up allowing five more sacks (and 18 pressures) in just 248 snaps, including 218 at right tackle, 16 at right guard and 14 at left tackle. Although he rarely got movement and didn't finish blocks in the run game, he wasn't charged with a single "bad" run.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/251503681.html#ixzz2wiACox3N Ya, he's played a lot and has experience. :rolleyes:

And thank goodness Thompson didn’t spend a high-round pick on a franchise OC with the accompanying cap hit. There’s no need to. Scott Wells was a seventh rounder and good enough to win a championship with. Priorities have to be determined regarding each position on a team and money and cap space, although expanding are a zero-sum game: Money and cap space overspent on an OC can’t be spent on more important positions.

Last edited:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not one to bang on a former player as I have no clue as to what kind of man he is but I have one word to say regarding his departure...YES! Dude played softer than baby dook. Wish you best of luck young man but this is nothing more than TT letting dead weight go...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Have to agree. Initially, Newhouse had some serious potential. I remembered all of the issue Clifton had when he first took over at LT and a knowledgeable fan is going to give the guy time to mature and grow into the position. After a couple of years of "growing", I guess it's fair to make as brief a statement on this matter as possible...so....here goes:

Run Dalton .... Run....!!!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Have to agree. Initially, Newhouse had some serious potential. I remembered all of the issue Clifton had when he first took over at LT and a knowledgeable fan is going to give the guy time to mature and grow into the position. After a couple of years of "growing", I guess it's fair to make as brief a statement on this matter as possible...so....here goes:

Run Dalton .... Run....!!!
Maybe I should draft his backup for fantasy football this season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they drafted Newhouse to compete for a starting job, they are nuts. As a backup, Newhouse isn't the worst guy in the world. He can keep your team alive if you lose your franchise tackle but don't expect him to add anything.

That said, I hope that a change of scenery and a new coaching staff can motivate him because as we all know, he has the tools to be good...he just wasn't. I'm sure that's what the Bengals saw - an opportunity to mold him into a good player. Sometimes we all need a second chance

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Andy Dalton will not be wearing his old jersey with a number on it, instead he is going with a custom jersey with a large bullseye on the back.....

Members online

Latest posts