1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Before the "Starr" appeared .

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Smokeychedder, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Smokeychedder

Smokeychedder Tailgaiter

Ratings Received:
    +258 / 16 / -7
    Packer Fan Since:
    Who were the men who played for Green Bay before the Lombardi/Starr era of the 1960's ? Who played QB, RB, LB for the Packers then ? What were some of the teams high and low points ? How has the equipment changed since then ? How have the rules changed since then ? How differently did they play the great game of football then ?

53packers.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +2,256 / 49 / -15
    The Packers were so bad that I believe there was talk or rumors of discussions of ending the team.

And there are also stories that when other players on other teams weren't doing so good, they would be threatened with being sent to Green Bay as a way to motivate them.

The G logo on the helmets was introduced during Lombardi's tenure and hasn't changed.
    (Some bone headed graphic artist probably just looking to make some bucks has suggested changes and made mock-ups. Fortunately that idea didn't happen.)
  3. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,076 / 15 / -7
    I`ve read that....lol
  4. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +403 / 33 / -30
    Packer Fan Since:
    Tobin Rote qb
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PWT

PWT Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings Received:
    +1,706 / 45 / -15
    While we're at it, could someone provide a brief summary of world history over the past century or so? What's happened, who did it, and what were/are the consequences? ;)
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +660 / 16 / -0
    If you're serious, nice little summary here: http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/gb/packers.html
    If you're not serious, go away.
  8. Poppa San

Poppa San Who me? Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +812 / 27 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    the bad terrible people lost and they don't get to write the history books so that is why they are evil incarnate. The good guys won most of the major struggles because they get to write the history books. Oh and that hot chick you just mentally undressed is not necessarily a female.
  9. Smokeychedder

Smokeychedder Tailgaiter

Ratings Received:
    +258 / 16 / -7
    Packer Fan Since:
    This thread is very serious. The history of the Packer's is not known to many. We should honor their story and tell it loud and proud. Thanks for the reference, I will read it soon. I encourage any who have stories to tell about the team to do so. This can be a great thread to inform our fellow fans about the decades that don't get their fair share of the spotlight.
  10. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,017 / 46 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Since you already seem to know the history, it might have been more direct to start this thread with the post you just made, instead of asking the questions that you asked. Many of us figured that you already knew about the Packers history, or could easily have looked it up online.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +403 / 33 / -30
    Packer Fan Since:
    Bobby Dillion. Db
  12. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings Received:
    +1,706 / 45 / -15
    My previous post on this thread was meant to be humorous, but I was trying to make the point that the OP was overly broad. It asks several questions about Packers history from 1919 until 1958. The answers could fill a book or two: How many players over that period of time played QB, RB, LB for the Packers over that span? And why restrict it to those positions? High points and low points? Really? – over a span of nearly four decades? The same goes for the other questions. That’s why JBlood’s wondering if the OP is serious is warranted IMO.
    You post we should honor the Packers by learning the history of this great franchise (and I agree and have) but you didn't even bother to do any reading before you posted the thread and you appear to have responded somewhat indignantly before even reading the links provided. To me, it just looks like a lazy way to "honor" the Packers.

Just a suggestion: If you are serious, learn something about the Packers' history and ask questions about what you've learned. At the very least narrow your inquiry.

IMO a better OP regarding Packers history would have been a good idea in a slow period of the offseason, but the season is soon upon us.

Other than that, great thread! ;)
  13. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +403 / 33 / -30
    Packer Fan Since:
    Question, did The Packers ever play against Jim Thorpe?
  14. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Between the times of Don Hutson's retirement and the 1958 draft its almost like a black hole of Packers history. I've studied the Packers history quite a bit especially the Lambeau championship teams, Don Hutson, and anything 1960's Lombardi period, and of course the worst season in Packers history- the year before Lombardi arrived. So in regards to this thread, I took a peak at the 1955 Green Packers, the season before either Lombardi or Starr were part of the team.

Full roster was only 40 players in total two of them from UW-Madison. The Packers selected two players from Wisconsin in the 1961 draft including DE Jim Temp a 2nd rounder. 5 players from the 1955 squad played for Vince Lombardi's 1961 title team: Tom Bettis, Bill Forrester, Dave Hanner, Gary Knafelc, and Jim Ringo.

Interesting Stat Alert: Going into the 1955 season, all but 6 players from the entire roster had been with the Packers 3 years or fewer and no one player had been with the Pack more than 5 years.

On another note:I always get a kick out of those making arguments against Lombardi being the greatest coach. Claiming that because he already had such a great nucleus of hall of famers on the team before he even arrived. Insinuating that somehow not unlike Phil Jackson he had won with great players and to be a "great" coach you have to win without too many great players. HOGWASH.

Lombardi molded these players into the men that they were and drove them towards perfecting their craft. This is why coaches can never receive too much credit for a teams success.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  15. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +403 / 33 / -30
    Packer Fan Since:
    Billy Howton
  16. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 72 / -12
    Packer Fan Since:
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is an interesting article but typical of ESPN the tabloid these days.
  18. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings Received:
    +695 / 14 / -2
    Jim Temp = horrible name for an athlete. Almost as bad as "Bob Walk" (Major League pitcher).
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Bus Cook

Bus Cook You're never alone with a schizophrenic

Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
    Ratings Received:
    +226 / 82 / -60
    Packer Fan Since:
    I goggled this and there was a wealth of information. Every year I looked up, also added that in each year, the Bears sucked.