Before the "Starr" appeared .

• Thread starter I_am_smoked_cheddar
  • Start date
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Who were the men who played for Green Bay before the Lombardi/Starr era of the 1960's ? Who played QB, RB, LB for the Packers then ? What were some of the teams high and low points ? How has the equipment changed since then ? How have the rules changed since then ? How differently did they play the great game of football then ?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were so bad that I believe there was talk or rumors of discussions of ending the team.

And there are also stories that when other players on other teams weren't doing so good, they would be threatened with being sent to Green Bay as a way to motivate them.

The G logo on the helmets was introduced during Lombardi's tenure and hasn't changed.
(Some bone headed graphic artist probably just looking to make some bucks has suggested changes and made mock-ups. Fortunately that idea didn't happen.)

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who were the men who played for Green Bay before the Lombardi/Starr era of the 1960's ? Who played QB, RB, LB for the Packers then ? What were some of the teams high and low points ? How has the equipment changed since then ? How have the rules changed since then ? How differently did they play the great game of football then ?

[/qu

]

Smokey.

The Packer were founded in 1919 by Earl "Curly" Lambeau and then Green Bay Press-Gazette Sports Editor George Calhoun. In 1919 and 1920 ,the Packers were semi professsional town team playing an independent schedule of town teams in Wisconsin,.U.P. of Michigan and Illinois .

In 1920, the American Professsional Football Asssociation (APFA) was established.The Packers joined the the APFA in 1921. The APFA was reorganized in 1922 and then was called the National Football League (NFL).

There are only 3 teams that are left in NFL from 22 teams that were in in old APFA in 1921 , the Packers, Cardinals and Bears So Packer have a very long history in the NFL before Bart Starr got here in GB in 1956 and Vince Lombardi got here in GB in 1959.

The most famous Packer player before 1959 was at offensive end position (now known as a wide receiver )- Pro football Hall of Famer- Don Hutson (1935-1944).
Don Hutson held all NFL pass receiving records for many years until modern wide receivers came alongin 1950's. 1960's etc. and broke his records.

Your best source of information about American Football ,NFL and Green Bay Packers is your computor

Go to www. packers.com. It is Official Packer website . Look under History on home page of packers.com. it contains the whole history of Green Bay Packers from 1919 to 2013.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While we're at it, could someone provide a brief summary of world history over the past century or so? What's happened, who did it, and what were/are the consequences? ;)

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you're serious, nice little summary here: http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/gb/packers.html
If you're not serious, go away.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
While we're at it, could someone provide a brief summary of world history over the past century or so? What's happened, who did it, and what were/are the consequences? ;)
the bad terrible people lost and they don't get to write the history books so that is why they are evil incarnate. The good guys won most of the major struggles because they get to write the history books. Oh and that ********* you just mentally undressed is not necessarily a female.

OP
OP
I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

If you're serious, nice little summary here: http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/gb/packers.html
If you're not serious, go away.

This thread is very serious. The history of the Packer's is not known to many. We should honor their story and tell it loud and proud. Thanks for the reference, I will read it soon. I encourage any who have stories to tell about the team to do so. This can be a great thread to inform our fellow fans about the decades that don't get their fair share of the spotlight.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you already seem to know the history, it might have been more direct to start this thread with the post you just made, instead of asking the questions that you asked. Many of us figured that you already knew about the Packers history, or could easily have looked it up online.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My previous post on this thread was meant to be humorous, but I was trying to make the point that the OP was overly broad. It asks several questions about Packers history from 1919 until 1958. The answers could fill a book or two: How many players over that period of time played QB, RB, LB for the Packers over that span? And why restrict it to those positions? High points and low points? Really? – over a span of nearly four decades? The same goes for the other questions. That’s why JBlood’s wondering if the OP is serious is warranted IMO.
This thread is very serious. The history of the Packer's is not known to many. We should honor their story and tell it loud and proud. Thanks for the reference, I will read it soon. I encourage any who have stories to tell about the team to do so. This can be a great thread to inform our fellow fans about the decades that don't get their fair share of the spotlight.
You post we should honor the Packers by learning the history of this great franchise (and I agree and have) but you didn't even bother to do any reading before you posted the thread and you appear to have responded somewhat indignantly before even reading the links provided. To me, it just looks like a lazy way to "honor" the Packers.

Just a suggestion: If you are serious, learn something about the Packers' history and ask questions about what you've learned. At the very least narrow your inquiry.

IMO a better OP regarding Packers history would have been a good idea in a slow period of the offseason, but the season is soon upon us.

Other than that, great thread! ;)

12theTruth

Between the times of Don Hutson's retirement and the 1958 draft its almost like a black hole of Packers history. I've studied the Packers history quite a bit especially the Lambeau championship teams, Don Hutson, and anything 1960's Lombardi period, and of course the worst season in Packers history- the year before Lombardi arrived. So in regards to this thread, I took a peak at the 1955 Green Packers, the season before either Lombardi or Starr were part of the team.

Full roster was only 40 players in total two of them from UW-Madison. The Packers selected two players from Wisconsin in the 1961 draft including DE Jim Temp a 2nd rounder. 5 players from the 1955 squad played for Vince Lombardi's 1961 title team: Tom Bettis, Bill Forrester, Dave Hanner, Gary Knafelc, and Jim Ringo.

Interesting Stat Alert: Going into the 1955 season, all but 6 players from the entire roster had been with the Packers 3 years or fewer and no one player had been with the Pack more than 5 years.

On another note:I always get a kick out of those making arguments against Lombardi being the greatest coach. Claiming that because he already had such a great nucleus of hall of famers on the team before he even arrived. Insinuating that somehow not unlike Phil Jackson he had won with great players and to be a "great" coach you have to win without too many great players. HOGWASH.

Lombardi molded these players into the men that they were and drove them towards perfecting their craft. This is why coaches can never receive too much credit for a teams success.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited: