Before the Favre bashing starts.......

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
let me just say that the media and us in this forum were the ones who claimed he was going to announce his decision at this morning's news conference. Brett never made any such guarantee. I still think he needs to hurry up with his decision, but lets not use this press conference as ammunition against him. We created this dissappointment, Brett did not. Please keep that in mind.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truth be told some "Favre's Family Spokesperson" said he was making an announcement about his future. She just didn't say that that future include 18 holes of golf today.

But, I do agree with you. If the press is going to blow this up...let em.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
let me just say that the media and us in this forum were the ones who claimed he was going to announce his decision at this morning's news conference. Brett never made any such guarantee. I still think he needs to hurry up with his decision, but lets not use this press conference as ammunition against him. We created this dissappointment, Brett did not. Please keep that in mind.

You are right Matt. Still we were copped out. His family spokesperson said it too. No ill toward Brett. I think he might come back for at least one more year. Lets get some big free agent signings here and some good draft picks.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont want to see Favre Bashing neither. He had no guarantees he was going to announce his future. Bash the spokesperson and the media.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
I dont want to see Favre Bashing neither. He had no guarantees he was going to announce his future. Bash the spokesperson and the media.

Yes. The spokesperson chose her words carefully and media took it to the next step.

I've yet to see the quote where the spokesperson stated Brett would be making his decision on his Football Career during the Golf Press Conf that he holds every year.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thank you matt for nipping this thing in the bud before it started!! well stated & a breath of fresh air!! 8)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
PackerChick said:

Yes. The spokesperson chose her words carefully and media took it to the next step.

I've yet to see the quote where the spokesperson stated Brett would be making his decision on his Football Career during the Golf Press Conf that he holds every year.

According to Becky Stuart, a personal assistant to Favre's wife, Deanna, Favre will announce his decision at a 7:30 a.m. news conference today. Stuart told The Associated Press that Favre would divulge his future plans at a news conference usually held to discuss developments with the "Brett Favre Fourward Foundation," which is hosting the annual golf fund-raiser this weekend.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=414367

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zero2Cool said:
PackerChick said:

According to Becky Stuart, a personal assistant to Favre's wife, Deanna, Favre will announce his decision at a 7:30 a.m. news conference today. Stuart told The Associated Press that Favre would divulge his future plans at a news conference usually held to discuss developments with the "Brett Favre Fourward Foundation," which is hosting the annual golf fund-raiser this weekend.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=414367

See, thats a perfect example of the media twisting words. If she specifically said Brett was making a decision during this conference she'd have been quoted saying as such. Word for word and been used as the headline.

We don't want what JSOnline assumed. We want quotes from a person in the know of Brett's future. I believe that only relies on one person, Brett himself.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, i think it's pretty clear that what the organization needs to do is go out and sign reggie white. (that was a tasteless joke)what i think brett wants is one really big name FA, a difference maker.

OP
OP
M

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I think you're right about the difference maker comment. I doubt Favre knows much more about Ben Taylor or Marques Manuel than many of us on this forum. Regardless, of whehter he plays the sport or not, I still think he's akin to a fan in the sense that he wants a "big name" like Charles Woodson rather than Ahmed Plummer.

I think he wants something to give him hope. Whether or not Woodson will make the Packers better than Plummer is besides the point in his mind. I think Favre "feels" like a Woodson gives him a better chance to win than a collection of Taylors, Manuels, and Picketts.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what it gives him is a partial dispersal of the load that he's carried for the last few years. that's gotta be exhausting!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I think you're right about the difference maker comment. I doubt Favre knows much more about Ben Taylor or Marques Manuel than many of us on this forum. Regardless, of whehter he plays the sport or not, I still think he's akin to a fan in the sense that he wants a "big name" like Charles Woodson rather than Ahmed Plummer.

I think he wants something to give him hope. Whether or not Woodson will make the Packers better than Plummer is besides the point in his mind. I think Favre "feels" like a Woodson gives him a better chance to win than a collection of Taylors, Manuels, and Picketts.

I think Woodson could be that player he's looking for.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, though I hate Woodson, his signing could be a "Key Name" player that intrigues Brett Favre to return. If he's looking for Guards we are screwed because all the good ones are gone. Brett has not called it quits so there must be something he sees that can prevent him from hanging it up O-Line wise, if that is solely what he's looking for.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id still much ratherhave plummer over woodson(although hes no scrub)

but i dont think thats the moves bretts interested in.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson is a better player than Plummer is, but is slightly overrated. On top of that his attitude SUCKS and he will command a pretty penny more than Plummer. But Woodson would definitely be a SOLID addition.

The problem is TT has made a push for Woodson and if the attitude or money was a factor he should have never brought him in to begin with. I mean, its no secret. I don't think TT can afford to let TB out battle us for him. He made a push knowing what Woodson was and the kind of money he commanded. He has to seal this deal.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't fully understand why you are all blaming the media for this. Spokespeople close to Favre said he would be making his decision today. They said it fairly clearly. We all thought he would based on the exact quotes used in the articles saying that he was going to decide today. I'm not saying we should blame Favre at all. I think it is more likely that he called his normal charity press conference and his spokespeople assumed he would announce his decision and thus told the media. I did think he said all the right things. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said but I thought it was handled fairly well.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just waking up now so I can't remember but does anyone else remember him hinting during the conference that there is still a few days left in Free Agency ? or something along those lines ?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I don't fully understand why you are all blaming the media for this. Spokespeople close to Favre said he would be making his decision today. They said it fairly clearly. We all thought he would based on the exact quotes used in the articles saying that he was going to decide today. I'm not saying we should blame Favre at all. I think it is more likely that he called his normal charity press conference and his spokespeople assumed he would announce his decision and thus told the media. I did think he said all the right things. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said but I thought it was handled fairly well.
The spokesperson never stated Brett was making his decision during the press conf at the Golf Tourney. I've read the articles and I know how and why the 'writers' twisted the words.

No one would have been interested if she had said 'Brett will NOT announce anything football related'. What kind of spokesperson would she be if she said that?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That seems to make it fairly clear that a decision would be made. I don't see any twisting of words there. It seems most likely to me that the personal assistant had assumed that Favre would announce it when she wasn't actually told by him that he was going to. Like I said before I'm not blaming Favre, but I don't think it's entirely right to blame the media either. It seems most like a simple misunderstanding.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
personally, i'm glad he didn't announce anything.

i had a feeling this was a retirement press conference, so the fact that Brett is still undecided is great news to me. i was positive i was going to wake up to huge "Favre is done" headlines...

phew...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what this whole thing reminded me of????
How many of you remember Geraldo Rivera several years ago, when he had the big "Opening of Al Capone's Vault" LIVE on TV? Me, like a dummy, watched it for 2 hours.........i think they found one wine bottle, and a couple old newspapers.
I had the same let down feeling this morning. The only thing missing was GERALDO! LOLOL!!! :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts