Bears receive permission to interview Tom Clements for HC job.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=17681

I am not a fan of this at all. If he takes the gig we'll have to move on to our 3rd OC in as many season. Personally I wish that the NFL would have it to where you wouldn't be allowed to interview coaches until every team is finished playing.

I realize that the tragedy with Philbin's son was also a huge distraction for the entire team last year, I just don't think that it is fair to the teams that get into the playoffs to have to deal with such lecherousness while still in the process of trying to win the Super Bowl for that season.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=17681

I am not a fan of this at all. If he takes the gig we'll have to move on to our 3rd OC in as many season. Personally I wish that the NFL would have it to where you wouldn't be allowed to interview coaches until every team is finished playing.

I realize that the tragedy with Philbin's son was also a huge distraction for the entire team last year, I just don't think that it is fair to the teams that get into the playoffs to have to deal with such lecherousness while still in the process of trying to win the Super Bowl for that season.

It's my understanding that coaches on teams still participating in the post season aren't allowed to interview until their run is up, unless it's during a bye week.

One benefit Clements would have for the Bears is his experience as a QB coach. He did wonders for Rodgers, and would more than likely help Cutler's game improve.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I wish that the NFL would have it to where you wouldn't be allowed to interview coaches until every team is finished playing

I totally agree with this! I think it should be that way in college as well.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although it's bad for the packers I think it's fine to give an interview during this time. I think coaches should be able to interview whenever, I realize I am in the minority in this thinking on this board though.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although it's bad for the packers I think it's fine to give an interview during this time. I think coaches should be able to interview whenever, I realize I am in the minority in this thinking on this board though.
Why do you think that?
Why can't there be dates where things can or cannot happen? Like there are for free agency period to start?

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you think that?
Why can't there be dates where things can or cannot happen? Like there are for free agency period to start?

I just don't see a problem with it. I don't like it and I see why people want it changed but I really don't have a problem with a coach talking to another team during the post-season.

Would I do it if I was a coach? No, because I am going to stay committed to my team through the playoffs. If someone came up with a better solution and put a date on it that's great also.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Teams can block assistant coaches who are under contract from interviewing with other teams with the exception of when a head coaching job being offered. The Packers have blocked a couple of assistants from interviewing within the last few years, including blocking Clements from going to Chicago to interview to be their OC within the last couple of seasons. I think its fine the way it is. IMO teams should be able to put a new HC in place before February. And for example, if the Packers win on Saturday, Clements can go to Chicago on Sunday to interview - no harm, no foul. BTW Clements' odds of getting that job are slim and none IMO. Wilde was talking about that yesterday and in his opinion there are two or three assistant coaches who would make better HCs than Clements.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I wish that the NFL would have it to where you wouldn't be allowed to interview coaches until every team is finished playing.
Then most new head coaches would come out of college. All the NFL assistants would be sitting around for a month with no job in sight. I think there would be sideline deals made and announced on the first day like free agency seems to be. I agree with the team on a bye week to interview. Not sure if it still is enforced.

Members online

Latest posts