Bears Lions

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Interesting to view this game. We have to beat both of them at least once to win the division and both are ahead of us now. The Bears always play us tough, and I view them as the bigger problem in the division. I view the Lions as Packers Light. They really are a poor mans version of us. Their star (arguably) is their QB a poor mans version of AR. Their Oline isn't that good. They have a great receiving core (really one man that makes it great), running game is very average. Secondary that is terrible. Average LBs and a descent front dline. I can't wait til we play us Jr. But for this Sunday, I see the Bears attack as what we can expect from the Bears, given the similarities in the Packers/Lions. I hope MM is watching so if needed he can put into play some if his legendary half time adjustments, when we play the Bears.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Detroits defensive front line might be better than Cinncy's....Profootball focus has Suh as their best rated lineman ( I dont know what they use to come to that conclusion) but that site is often cited for ratings..

Bears beat two winless teams, Detroit's teams have only one win..So they havent had to face stiff competition yet...With it being in Detroit, I think they have the edge and if Bush is okay to go, that should push them over the edge to win..

This will be a good game to watch...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I view the Lions as Packers Light. They really are a poor mans version of us.
So you're saying that our Oline is decent, we have an outstanding receiving corps, an above average running game, and a serviceable secondary? I'm not sure that I can get used to you singing such a positive tune :tup:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked the Bears to win even though I would rather it be Detroit.
I feel like Da Bears are on a hot streak right now.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to beat both of them at least once to win the division and both are ahead of us now.
Please correct me if I am wrong about this, but don't we have to do more than just beat the Lions, Vikings, and Bears (Oh my!) to win the division?
We could beat them each time and lose to all other teams (6-12) and still lose the division if any of those rivals have a better record. (7-11)
To win the division is a reflection of the wins against every team played during the season. Right?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the NFL website:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

Reaction score
Detroits defensive front line might be better than Cinncy's....Profootball focus has Suh as their best rated lineman ( I dont know what they use to come to that conclusion) but that site is often cited for ratings..

Bears beat two winless teams, Detroit's teams have only one win..So they havent had to face stiff competition yet...With it being in Detroit, I think they have the edge and if Bush is okay to go, that should push them over the edge to win..

And the Bears scummed those first two wins out at home with a lot of help from Cinci and the Vikings. And I might add with help from the zebras, especially when you're looking for a flag to be thrown against the Bears for pass interference on crucial drives, but they never seem to leave the refs' pockets. Do they? They're playing that "slap happy" football stripping which they're obviously very good at and Cutler's just been unconscious (NO offensive holding, maybe;)) when he needs a big play. The Bears do look more energized and confident (that's scary) under Trestman, but we've seen them start off like this before (break of the schedule, playing against teams missing starters > e.g., Burleson this week, the fortuitous bounce of the ball, etc. ) and then the season eventually catches up with them which we may see happen this week at Detroit. My main concern is getting our act together!

ITA....This will be a good game to watch, although, I don't like the Lions, Suh's dirty play and their coach, but I really loathe the Bears and want them to lose every time they step on the field.

I, too, give the edge to Detroit if Bush is good to go. We'll see! Should be a high scoring close game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Bears beat two winless teams, Detroit's teams have only one win..So they havent had to face stiff competition yet...With being in Detroit, I think they have the edge and if Bush is okay to go, that should push them over the edge to win..

:)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong about this, but don't we have to do more than just beat the Lions, Vikings, and Bears (Oh my!) to win the division?
We could beat them each time and lose to all other teams (6-12) and still lose the division if any of those rivals have a better record. (7-11)
To win the division is a reflection of the wins against every team played during the season. Right?
From the NFL website:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
  1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss
I'm not sure if that is an answer to my question since that is for a tie breaking scenario.
Again I'll ask:
If we beat our divis. rivals each time and lose to all other teams (6-12) do we lose the division if any of those rivals have a better record. (7-11)?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that is an answer to my question since that is for a tie breaking scenario.
Again I'll ask:
If we beat our divis. rivals each time and lose to all other teams (6-12) do we lose the division if any of those rivals have a better record. (7-11)?
Works like this. Say they are all tied up in the division tiebreakers. Everyone wins at home and losses on the road. So they are all 3-3 in the division. The next tie breaker is common games. Those games played against, for this year, the NFC East, and AFC North. Cowboys, Skins, Giants, Eagles, Bengals, Browns, Steelers, Ravens. So far, the Bears are 2-0, Lions 1-0, and the Packers and Vikings 1-1 in those games.

If the only teams you beat are in your division, yeah, you lose the division. After the division games, the common games are the most important.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Works like this. Say they are all tied up in the division tiebreakers. Everyone wins at home and losses on the road. So they are all 3-3 in the division. The next tie breaker is common games. Those games played against, for this year, the NFC East, and AFC North. Cowboys, Skins, Giants, Eagles, Bengals, Browns, Steelers, Ravens. So far, the Bears are 2-0, Lions 1-0, and the Packers and Vikings 1-1 in those games.

If the only teams you beat are in your division, yeah, you lose the division. After the division games, the common games are the most important.
Thanx Raptorman.

I asked because I keep seeing others claiming that all we have to do to win the divis. is to beat all the other divis. opponents. That's it and nothing else which is not the case.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You needed to read the first sentence, which states that the won-lost-tied percentage determines the division winner. If there is a tie based on overall record, then it goes to all of the tie-breaking scenarios. So:

1. Overall Record
2. Head-to-Head
3. Division Record
4. Common Games
5. etc........

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone implied, or I can't imagine anyone thought, that a team would win the division at 10-6 if they went 6-0 in the division when another team in the division was 11-5 overall.

I'm pretty sure the OP was simply implying that we probably do need to at least split against Chicago and Detroit to realistically end up contending for the division which is almost certainly going to end up being true.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Thanx Raptorman.

I asked because I keep seeing others claiming that all we have to do to win the divis. is to beat all the other divis. opponents. That's it and nothing else which is not the case.
Good example is last year, 2012. Had the Packers split the games with Chicago, the Packer, Bears and Vikings would have all been 10-6. The Vikings would have taken the division due to winning 6 of the 8 common games while the Packers and Bears only won 5 of those games.

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Good example is last year, 2012. Had the Packers split the games with Chicago, the Packer, Bears and Vikings would have all been 10-6. The Vikings would have taken the division due to winning 6 of the 8 common games while the Packers and Bears only won 5 of those games.

You always have a numerical example that has the Vikings winning something, yet they never win anything.:p:p:p

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone implied, or I can't imagine anyone thought, that a team would win the division at 10-6 if they went 6-0 in the division when another team in the division was 11-5 overall.

I'm pretty sure the OP was simply implying that we probably do need to at least split against Chicago and Detroit to realistically end up contending for the division which is almost certainly going to end up being true.
I'm just going by what is being written.
If the OP means something else then the OP should write it out that way.
"In order for the Packers to beat all divi. opponents they need to..." is different than, "For the Packers to win the divi. they need to..."
Right now it looks like certain posters are being very naive on what it takes for the Packers to win the divis.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
To top it off, the Packer and Bears would have moved on to the next tie breaker, which would have been strength of victory. So you take there wins add up the scores and see who beat their opponents by more points. This is were running up the score in a game can help a team into the playoffs. Which would have put the Packers in third place because the Bears won their games by a wider margin than the Packer did last year.