Bears intend to place greater emphasis on run game

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Bears have lost three of four games along with some of their identity so far this season, two trends that coach Lovie Smith is determined to reverse beginning Sunday night in Green Bay.

An offense that takes pride in its power running game had quarterback Brian Griese throw 52 passes and hand the ball off just 20 times in last Sunday’s 37-27 loss to the Detroit Lions.

Running back Cedric Benson rushed for 47 of his 50 yards in the second half of Sunday's 37-27 loss to the Lions.
“When I say we’re a running team, [that] we get off the bus running, we need to run the ball more,” Smith said. “We got away from it a little bit and now when you’re 1-3, the first thing you do is look to get back to what you believe in. We have to run the football.”

With Griese being sacked six times and scrambling twice, the Bears actually called 60 pass plays compared to just 20 runs. And it wasn’t like there was a huge deficit to overcome—Chicago trailed by more than four points for only three and a half minutes of the game.

“It’s not a good sign when the Bears are throwing 52 times,” said right tackle Fred Miller. “Our recipe is running the ball, and in order for us to be successful, we have to run the ball well. That gives our defense a chance to rest up and stay fresh, and when they’re doing that they definitely cause a lot of havoc and come up with some big turnovers, and that’s our recipe for winning.”

Miller is surprised with the disparity between passing and running.

“I think that’s what we’re all scratching our heads over around here,” he said. “We’re not doing the same things that we’ve done. I don’t think we’re getting enough running calls. In the pass game, we’re turning too many guys free and just making mistakes that we normally don’t make, especially as an offensive line.

“It’s a little bit of everyone, and I think everyone is taking responsibility for it and we’re all going to be accountable for it and turn it around.”

The Bears haven’t had much success on the ground this season, ranking 27th in the NFL in yards per game (82.8) and 28th in yards per carry (3.3). But Smith knows that there must be more of a commitment to the run for those numbers to improve.

“The running game starts with the blocking up front and the running back carrying the ball,” said the Bears coach. “We’ll work on it and try to improve in those areas. We won’t change our philosophy in what we believe in, and that’s running the football. We’ll continue to run the ball.

“I think we had 22 carries [against Detroit]. That’s not enough. We need to rush the ball more times and then hopefully we’ll be able to crack a few.”

Cedric Benson has struggled so far this season, ranking 24th in the NFL in rushing with 239 yards and 1 TD on 74 carries. His 3.2 yards per attempt is the lowest among the league’s top 29 rushers.

Against the Lions, Benson fumbled for the third time this season. He rushed for 47 yards on 10 carries in the second half after being held to just three yards on five attempts in the first half.

“We talk to the players constantly,” Smith said. “We did a lot of talking. We’ve done maybe too much talking around here. Cedric did start the second half better than he started the first. Cedric is the type of back who needs a lot of carries, so we’re going to try to get him more carries.”

The Bears’ lack of success on the ground is confounding to the veteran offensive line.

“That’s hard for us to figure out,” Miller said. “At times we’ve had fits where we ran the ball into bad looks, and at the same time we haven’t blocked it as well as we can, and sometimes the running back just made a bad read.

"It’s a little bit of everything. No one group or one person can [take] all the blame. What’s happened has happened. Now it’s time for us to fix it and get back to doing the things that we know how to do, and that’s run the ball well.”

Sounds like the Bears are going to try an run it down our throat.

Are you scared?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Bears have lost three of four games along with some of their identity so far this season, two trends that coach Lovie Smith is determined to reverse beginning Sunday night in Green Bay.

An offense that takes pride in its power running game had quarterback Brian Griese throw 52 passes and hand the ball off just 20 times in last Sunday’s 37-27 loss to the Detroit Lions.

Running back Cedric Benson rushed for 47 of his 50 yards in the second half of Sunday's 37-27 loss to the Lions.
“When I say we’re a running team, [that] we get off the bus running, we need to run the ball more,” Smith said. “We got away from it a little bit and now when you’re 1-3, the first thing you do is look to get back to what you believe in. We have to run the football.”

With Griese being sacked six times and scrambling twice, the Bears actually called 60 pass plays compared to just 20 runs. And it wasn’t like there was a huge deficit to overcome—Chicago trailed by more than four points for only three and a half minutes of the game.

“It’s not a good sign when the Bears are throwing 52 times,” said right tackle Fred Miller. “Our recipe is running the ball, and in order for us to be successful, we have to run the ball well. That gives our defense a chance to rest up and stay fresh, and when they’re doing that they definitely cause a lot of havoc and come up with some big turnovers, and that’s our recipe for winning.”

Miller is surprised with the disparity between passing and running.

“I think that’s what we’re all scratching our heads over around here,” he said. “We’re not doing the same things that we’ve done. I don’t think we’re getting enough running calls. In the pass game, we’re turning too many guys free and just making mistakes that we normally don’t make, especially as an offensive line.

“It’s a little bit of everyone, and I think everyone is taking responsibility for it and we’re all going to be accountable for it and turn it around.”

The Bears haven’t had much success on the ground this season, ranking 27th in the NFL in yards per game (82.8) and 28th in yards per carry (3.3). But Smith knows that there must be more of a commitment to the run for those numbers to improve.

“The running game starts with the blocking up front and the running back carrying the ball,” said the Bears coach. “We’ll work on it and try to improve in those areas. We won’t change our philosophy in what we believe in, and that’s running the football. We’ll continue to run the ball.

“I think we had 22 carries [against Detroit]. That’s not enough. We need to rush the ball more times and then hopefully we’ll be able to crack a few.”

Cedric Benson has struggled so far this season, ranking 24th in the NFL in rushing with 239 yards and 1 TD on 74 carries. His 3.2 yards per attempt is the lowest among the league’s top 29 rushers.

Against the Lions, Benson fumbled for the third time this season. He rushed for 47 yards on 10 carries in the second half after being held to just three yards on five attempts in the first half.

“We talk to the players constantly,” Smith said. “We did a lot of talking. We’ve done maybe too much talking around here. Cedric did start the second half better than he started the first. Cedric is the type of back who needs a lot of carries, so we’re going to try to get him more carries.”

The Bears’ lack of success on the ground is confounding to the veteran offensive line.

“That’s hard for us to figure out,” Miller said. “At times we’ve had fits where we ran the ball into bad looks, and at the same time we haven’t blocked it as well as we can, and sometimes the running back just made a bad read.

"It’s a little bit of everything. No one group or one person can [take] all the blame. What’s happened has happened. Now it’s time for us to fix it and get back to doing the things that we know how to do, and that’s run the ball well.”

Sounds like the Bears are going to try an run it down our throat.

Are you scared?

Hell no. :)

If Nick Barnett makes the right decisions and fills the C-gap or whatever MM was talking about, aint nobody runnin on our 8-deep DT position!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running the ball makes sense for the Bears. It's no secret that their passing game has been awful. And the Packers did allow some big runs in Minnesota, although mostly it was because of Adrian Peterson. The Packers should put eight in the box and challenge them to pass.

Woodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats a smart thing for the bears to do but, it aint gonna work against us..besides who they gonna run the ball with Benson? please..Hopefully this is what we see all game..

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears will NOT be able to run if they are trailing by 2 scores.

That is what I predict. Packers by 13 points.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How good is the Bears pass protection? I think that's going to be the game maker. If the can give their QB time, it'll be a close game. Otherwise, I say 6 sacks and an asswhooping. 27-9.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are not a very good football team and it's up to the Packers to make certain that continues.

We don't turn it over and we shut down the run it's an easy win. Same thing I put in the thread about the keys to winning this game.

And they don't come easy very often when these two play.

The SITUATION here reminds of a boxing match and one fighter has just been hit with a classic left followed by a right. The fighter is standing there dazed almost waiting for the other fighter to knock them out.

We just need to come out hard and hit them right in the mouth like we did at their place last year. Blow them up early and this one is over.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, let them run it with their fumble prone RBs.

What could possibly go wrong?

5 turnovers. called it. Stand by it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think we will give up over 80 rushing yards
i think we will give up over 260 passing yards.
I think we will give up 3 field goals

I dont think they will score a touchdown
I dont think we will ever trail
I dont think we lose this game

BEND DONT BREAK

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
i think we will give up over 80 rushing yards
i think we will give up over 260 passing yards.
I think we will give up 3 field goals

Did they sign a mobile QB with some throwing skills? Did Cunningham come out of retirement? Cause I don't see Griese throwing for 260 on us.. even if they trail the whole game and are in pass only mode. The line is a sieve for them, especially at tackle. Tait can't move real well anymore..

That or they better get the ball out in a hurry... but with the physical play we have outside.. not much there either.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping that the Bears get the ball first on offense. That way we can shut them down, maybe get a turnover and great field position right away and set the tone.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Off Topic... hope the cubbies choke in the muggy Arizona heat :)

My worst nightmare would be a Cubs vs Yankees series.. I would rather puke the last drop of fluid from my inners than watch that garbage..

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My worst nightmare would be a Cubs vs Yankees series.. I would rather puke the drop of fluid from my inners than watch that garbage..

:eek:fftopic:

Me too. Here's hoping for a Red Sox v. Rockies series. That way I can see my Sox close it out in Denver!!! :lol:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

My worst nightmare would be a Cubs vs Yankees series.. I would rather puke the drop of fluid from my inners than watch that garbage..

Me too. Here's hoping for a Red Sox v. Rockies series. That way I can see my Sox close it out in Denver!!! :lol:

The Red Sox are worse than the yankees. If the yankees are the Evil Empire.. the sox are The Dark and Sinister Empire.
They spend the same amount as the Yankees and they sell pink hats. i hate them... they are all thats wrong with sport.

Go Packers.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Red Sox are worse than the yankees. If the yankees are the Evil Empire.. the sox are The Dark and Sinister Empire.
They spend the same amount as the Yankees and they sell pink hats. i hate them... they are all thats wrong with sport.

Go Packers.

Booo. You're completely right, but I can't change who I love, so boo nonetheless.

Boo.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My worst nightmare would be a Cubs vs Yankees series.. I would rather puke the last drop of fluid from my inners than watch that garbage..

I've been a Cubs fan for 35 years or however long it's been since the Braves left Milwaukee. My kid brother played baseball and with no team I took him to Wrigley. Hooked ever since.

At least you can't say I'm a banwagon fan. They've sucked 33 out of 35 years.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Go Packers.

Booo. You're completely right, but I can't change who I love, so boo nonetheless.

Boo.

see im perfectly fine with red sox fans like you who have been there forever... but ever since about 2003 they have surpassed the yankees as the Evil Empire.... and yet they are made to look like heroes...

since the bravos arent in it. ... Go Cubs

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would probably emphasis the run as well seeing as it is they don't have a QB that can get rating above 40.

Makes you wonder why the they traded the best RB they had.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I've been a Cubs fan for 35 years or however long it's been since the Braves left Milwaukee. My kid brother played baseball and with no team I took him to Wrigley. Hooked ever since.

At least you can't say I'm a banwagon fan. They've sucked 33 out of 35 years.

See growing up in northern WI and having to endure years of Cub fans comming up, whining that they haven't done jack didley since the goat... I have a built it dislike for the Cubs. I have learned to feel for the fans of the loveable losers, but still dislike the team. Here is to another century of bad luck.

But I have to say Wrigley field is a treat, it might be outdated and such, but it is pure baseball. Much like Fenway.. got to a game there in 02'.

Back to topic.. they better find a way to inspiring Benson to run hard.. otherwise it will be a long day for the Orange and Blue.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:hijacked:

Here's where we should bring the baseball talk:

Link to Atrium

Not sure if that'll do the trick, but there ya go.

The Bears aint runnin $h#! on us this Sunday.....

Too many DT's to rotate in, I just don't see us wearing down very much...

Pack93z

Reaction score
Hey.. I had some football in that post... chilla... :)

My goodness... look in some of these threads and tell me all posts (Yes PIB beating dog posts) are on topic... kinda the spur of the moment thing.

On topic... Benson will be knocked out or pulled from this game by the second quarter... Another AP will be running the rock.. a larger slower version.

PS... this is like running game thread 5402 this week..

Latest posts