Bates/tackling/rookies

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense here - but Kampman "be effective"... in this Defense?
Did you watch any of his exploits last year at all?

As far as I'm concerned, Kampman is the real deal - last year, he was everywhere the ball was - over & over - that's why the staff took pains to see to his needs. And now with the new DC who won't be changing up tactics.. well, let's just say Kampman should be a standout this year...

So, based on that line of thought - we already have Barnett (buyin' his jersey in yellow this year) and now Collins is practically a shooo-in.. and (of course) Kampman in the mix chasin' down the rabbits.... Don't forget KGB is slated to have a breakout year... I'm smellin' a top-ten defense from the Packers... it won't be top-5, but it'll break into the top ten... My only worry is the middle - that's where we'll see issues... Cole is great, but James Lee still needs work - and we're sorta short on DT's who can stuff the run.. I hope Bates can make those four guys gel... I'm hopin' at least one more Rookie can step up and show us something.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB, I also don't get the criticism of Kamp. The guy is a pro, a hard worker and, given his limited physical gifts, a solid DE. I don't think there are too many teams in this league where he wouldn't be a significant part of the D and he'd start on a bunch as well.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman is the kind of guy you build a TEAM around. You can only have a few true superstars.

He is Matt LaBounty....with actual skills!!

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have any of you seen Kampman do anything yet this year? Thursday night I don't think he had a tackle. He was vapor rushing the passer. The DEs in this defense are nothing like the DE in last year's D. Kampman understands this and lost 10lbs once Bates was hired. I hope he can do it also, but I need to see it and I haven't yet.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hang in there, Kuston - One preseason game is going to tell anyone anything....
Wait til after our BYE WEEK, then let's re-visit that thought.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kuston said:
Collins is a surprise to me, great range for the safety, the rest of the draft picks are still bench fodder this year.

I wouldn't say that is a given. Right now it looks like at least two draft picks will be starting, and 2-3 more may be at some point in the season depending on injuries.

lonewolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates also had two great DTs in Miami, which helped immensely. His current team does not. I think he'll have to employ the old 'bend but hopefully not break" philosophy, until he gets more players. Apparently, his film study must have fooled him into thinking he had DL talent. While we may have some potential CBs, they haven't truly shown they can cover the receivers, or so training camp reports would indicate. Remember, SLowik also tried the blitz early last season, and had to scrap much of it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to totally disagree with you, Lonewolf. No talent at DT, but potential CBs? What Packers team are you looking at. If anything, we have solid depth (no superstar, but some decent guys) at DT, and some big fat question marks at CB. Hopefully Thomas and Hawkins pan out..but ...who knows?

I personally root for Hawkins, cuz hes an Arena League player..gotta love the bushleague guys who go pro.

Members online