Bates should stay no matter what.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if a new Head Coach is hired who isn't Bates, Bates NEEDS to stay as DC.

Truthfully are we going to find a more successful D - Coordinator? Probably not.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
Even if a new Head Coach is hired who isn't Bates, Bates NEEDS to stay as DC.

Truthfully are we going to find a more successful D - Coordinator? Probably not.

Bates and the new Head Coach (esp if he is the HC) will have to make that decision. All of Sherman's staff including Bates were told that they were free to inquire about other positions and/or apply for their old when the new Head Coach is hired.

Just like Thompson wanted his own man, it would not be unusual for the new HC to want his own people in place. That is how it usually works in the NFL and is how Thompson has said he believes it should be -- as early as his first press conference as GM continuing through the firing of Mike Sherman.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of the Packer assistants were interviewed. I understand that on the defensive side of the ball. Their fate is the same as Bates.

If I were an offensive assistant, like a receivers coach the smart thing would be to take a job when it is available(like OC Kansas State). If you are Larry Beightol you don't jump yet but you are making phone calls.

If your Bevell and Kick Team coach your office is bare and you take your coffee cup home at night and start packing up some things there.

Some don't know what to expect but the best they can hope for is to stay. The worst is looking up where the unemployment office is and realizing they should have been nicer to someone in the past. The are probably drinking a bit fearing the wrath of the wife when the job is gone.

Not much productivity this week. Sad times for these guys.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bevell is likely to end up with Childress in MN -- just a hunch, but I think a pretty strong one.

CaliforniaCheez said:
None of the Packer assistants were interviewed. I understand that on the defensive side of the ball. Their fate is the same as Bates.

If I were an offensive assistant, like a receivers coach the smart thing would be to take a job when it is available(like OC Kansas State). If you are Larry Beightol you don't jump yet but you are making phone calls.

If your Bevell and Kick Team coach your office is bare and you take your coffee cup home at night and start packing up some things there.

Some don't know what to expect but the best they can hope for is to stay. The worst is looking up where the unemployment office is and realizing they should have been nicer to someone in the past. The are probably drinking a bit fearing the wrath of the wife when the job is gone.

Not much productivity this week. Sad times for these guys.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Bevell is likely to end up with Childress in MN -- just a hunch, but I think a pretty strong one.

yeah, its been rumored he would follow childress even before childress was hired.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
which is what he did,they said the guy from new england wants to be a head coach,but we wont have the money for him because that will be a factor bates will make a good h.c. sherman and martz is being interviewd by the saints.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I read that the Pack gave Bevell permission to talk to the Vikings already. I wonder why they had to give permission?

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:
I thought I read that the Pack gave Bevell permission to talk to the Vikings already. I wonder why they had to give permission?

I think they are all under contract until January 31st. Read that somewhere, but can't remember where. :)

Reaction score
rmayer32 said:
billv said:

I think they are all under contract until January 31st. Read that somewhere, but can't remember where. :)

Yeah there under contract for about 3 more weeks. However, what is the point in retaining the coaches when your new HC is definitly going to bring his own guys on board?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what do all of these assistant coaches do? There's no one to lead them no one to guide them. Why even make plans for 2006 when they probably won't even be there?

Do they just show up at Lambeau Field and collect a paycheck or what?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like Bates' interview with TT went very well. I would have no objection at all to his being the next HC. The players already respect him and he has shown the ability to get average players to play good.....just give him a few more tools to work with........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts