Bates looking less likely

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson will be interviewing 8 head coaching candidates, and Jim Bates is #8 on the list, to be interviewed next Thursday. Considering that Bates is already in the Packer organization, Thompson could've interviewed him sooner. And with all the teams in need of head coaches right now, there could be lots of movement early next week. If Thompson interviews somebody who impresses him, he will have to act quickly to get his guy before somebody else does. So Bates may not even get an interview. I haven't heard anything about Bates being offered interviews by other teams, so he is not in a position of power--unlike some of the other candidates. At age 59, he is not a hot prospect to move into his first head coaching job.

Also, consider this: If Thompson hires an offensive-minded coach, there is a good chance that Bates will stick around because he is under contract, he has family ties to Wisconsin, and he has a proven track record as DC (meaning that a new coach is more likely to retain him). But if Bates is hired as head coach, he will have to find an OC. Guys like Mike McCarthy and Maurice Carthon would be unlikely because OC would be a lateral move for them, and Sean Payton is assistant head coach for the Cowboys, so he could only be hired away as a head coach.

I like Bates and think he could make a good head coach, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. He is a longshot at this point.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dunno. Given that Harlan brought TT and Bates to GB at the same time and given the high degree of likelihood that TT would ultimately let Sherm go, and given that Bates made it known that a HC job was his target, I mean, it looks like destiny to me. But what do I know?

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harlan did not bring Bates to GB, Sherman did. And that is definitely not a point in Bates' favor, although hopefully Thompson won't hold it against him.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the order of the interviews doesn't also place the order in which the Packers would choose their next head coach. To me, the book is still out on TT. If he were truly interested in Bates, then why not fire Sherman at mid-season and audition Bates for the job by making him interim head coach. I think Bates age may play a role in TT not being interested in him. It does look to me that Bates has the abiltiy to motivate people through inspiration, knowledge, and leadership.

My vote would still be for Tim Lewis.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I hope the order of the interviews doesn't also place the order in which the Packers would choose their next head coach. To me, the book is still out on TT. If he were truly interested in Bates, then why not fire Sherman at mid-season and audition Bates for the job by making him interim head coach. I think Bates age may play a role in TT not being interested in him. It does look to me that Bates has the abiltiy to motivate people through inspiration, knowledge, and leadership.

My vote would still be for Tim Lewis.

I'm not a huge fan of firing a coach mid-season to audition someone as "interim" head coach. Bates would probably make several changes and that would take time to gel. Has anyone else noticed that interim coaches don't typically step in and make a huge splash for the remainder of the season? Probably because the team they take over stinks, eh???

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Ted Thompson will be interviewing 8 head coaching candidates, and Jim Bates is #8 on the list, to be interviewed next Thursday. Considering that Bates is already in the Packer organization, Thompson could've interviewed him sooner. And with all the teams in need of head coaches right now, there could be lots of movement early next week. If Thompson interviews somebody who impresses him, he will have to act quickly to get his guy before somebody else does. So Bates may not even get an interview. I haven't heard anything about Bates being offered interviews by other teams, so he is not in a position of power--unlike some of the other candidates. At age 59, he is not a hot prospect to move into his first head coaching job.

Also, consider this: If Thompson hires an offensive-minded coach, there is a good chance that Bates will stick around because he is under contract, he has family ties to Wisconsin, and he has a proven track record as DC (meaning that a new coach is more likely to retain him). But if Bates is hired as head coach, he will have to find an OC. Guys like Mike McCarthy and Maurice Carthon would be unlikely because OC would be a lateral move for them, and Sean Payton is assistant head coach for the Cowboys, so he could only be hired away as a head coach.

I like Bates and think he could make a good head coach, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. He is a longshot at this point.

I dont know Greg. Thompsons taking his time interviewing. I am sure Bates will get it. Hes gotta. I dont know what TT has on his mind.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Harlan did not bring Bates to GB, Sherman did. And that is definitely not a point in Bates' favor, although hopefully Thompson won't hold it against him.

True, but, Bates has made major improvements in just his first year as DC. I also think Bates may be the "ace in the hole" in regards to interviews for the HC job. Seems to me, TT already knows Bates and wants to checkout all other canidates first as there are so many NFL coaching jobs open. If he doesn't like the others..he hires Bates.

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the order has much bearing on who gets the job. If a likely canidate does get another head coaching job you still have Bates sitting on deck. I agree, you shouldn't have let MS go in the middle of the season because it shows you've lost control of your team. I also agree that Bates could be the man, but his age does come in to play. In my opinion, which is like something else everyone has, I would like to see Payton as head coach, make Bates asst. head coach/def. coor. and get Mooch as OC. Oh, yeah get that Favre guy back.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I read on other forums, Payton is rising to the top of the heap. Of course, it's all opinion, and mostly uninformed at that. I had worried that Bates would get snapped up in the hunt for HCs but apparently he hasn't been interviewed, so he might stay on, that is IF the new HC wants him. I hope he does. I want a HC who is smart enough to make adjustments during a game.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
Greg C. said:

True, but, Bates has made major improvements in just his first year as DC. I also think Bates may be the "ace in the hole" in regards to interviews for the HC job. Seems to me, TT already knows Bates and wants to checkout all other canidates first as there are so many NFL coaching jobs open. If he doesn't like the others..he hires Bates.
That is exactly my opinion of what is going on.
But then what do I know? Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The knock on Payton is that he is a passive, laid-back offensive guru. I say it that way for this reason: should the Packers bring him in knowing he will have the X's and O's in order but need to rely on others for the fire and motivation??? He sounds a little bit like MS to me at this point...(not saying MS was an X's and O's expert for you MS bashers either)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bates being last after a private convo with TT is a sign to me that Bates is the front runner. I wasn't there for the convo but I'm guessing it was something of the sort as 'bates ur the leading guy for this job but i cant jus pick the first guy im gonna check whats out there and go from there but i want you to know i think ur the guy and let the best man win'

I would also guess bates agreed to be interviewed last because of his contract with the packers meaning he was told by tt that any coach would have to agree to keep him if he wasn't the hc which this ensures bates employment with the packers as either hc or dc.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bates being last after a private convo with TT is a sign to me that Bates is the front runner. I wasn't there for the convo but I'm guessing it was something of the sort as 'bates ur the leading guy for this job but i cant jus pick the first guy im gonna check whats out there and go from there but i want you to know i think ur the guy and let the best man win'

I would also guess bates agreed to be interviewed last because of his contract with the packers meaning he was told by tt that any coach would have to agree to keep him if he wasn't the hc which this ensures bates employment with the packers as either hc or dc.

Ya know...that sounds like a conversation of this nature may have occured. Why hire a coach that will re-build a defense when it is already moving in that direction.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i get the feeling that Bates, for the most part, isn't looked at as head coaching material by the majority of the league.

i think a lot of Bates proponents are going to be disappointed when he's passed up. of course im speculating, but i've only been wrong like 2 or 3 times...ever. :wink:

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after reading the paper sounds like revera will be here it is me reading into things but that sounds pretty positive if you read it.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
i get the feeling that Bates, for the most part, isn't looked at as head coaching material by the majority of the league.

i think a lot of Bates proponents are going to be disappointed when he's passed up. of course im speculating, but i've only been wrong like 2 or 3 times...ever. :wink:

Yeah but arrow, of those times being wrong was when you thought you were wrong and it turned out you were right 8) :lol: :) :D :wink:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
arrowgargantuan said:

Yeah but arrow, of those times being wrong was when you thought you were wrong and it turned out you were right 8) :lol: :) :D :wink:

exactly Bruce...i didn't wanna brag though, you know. :)

Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Bruce said:
arrowgargantuan said:

exactly Bruce...i didn't wanna brag though, you know. :)

Thank you Bruce, you have awoken the huge sized ego of arrow. lol! :lol: :p

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well considering the hiring last year in GB was a shock to people inthe league, cuz hes HC-caliber my man.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts