Barry out for the year

Packman5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's official that Kevin Barry is out for the year. The pack need to add some depth and the OL so maybe it's time to look at Verba.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well for those who keep wanting to move Tauscher......

Barry can't be cut this season without a settlement.

Some like Tyrone Davis and David Martin have the ability to stick with the Packers that defies all reason.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry is a good player. He's a great backup tackle. In fact he probably would've been a good fit last year as a starting guard.

This hurts the depth to the line a lot.

I think GB brings in Verba now. I'm willing to bet that. Obviously June 1st cuts could change that. If someone nice is out there, then go get em.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel sorry for him, but his injury might be related to his
bad shape and condition he arrived with at Minicamp.

Don't bring Verba. I think he's done. But when becomes a starter
for
the Pack again I will be ready to admit that I was wrong. :wink:

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would give Barry his injury settlement and move on. I never thought he would become a starter in the first place. I will give Barry his props - he was the U71 blaster. Now that the U-71 has been scrapped, so should he be.

The future of the interior O-line is College - Wells - Coston. In those three guys you have intelligence, athleticism, and youth. Put them in and let them gel from the beginning of training camp. Last year Sherman and Beightol f^cked around too much changing people in and out (no cohesion).

I say no to Verba. I liked him the first time he was in GB. He does not strike me as a team first type of player. The Packers have an opportunity here to build a nice O-line from the ground up, I believe Verba would be counter productive.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't say this surprises me.........he was out of shape. Had he BEEN in shape, maybe he wouldn't have got hurt.
The GOOD thing is, that it happened NOW, and not at the beginning of the season after they had him penciled in as a starter. At least now they have time to replace him and get who WILL be starting a chance to jell with the rest of the line.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I can't say this surprises me.........he was out of shape. Had he BEEN in shape, maybe he wouldn't have got hurt.
The GOOD thing is, that it happened NOW, and not at the beginning of the season after they had him penciled in as a starter. At least now they have time to replace him and get who WILL be starting a chance to jell with the rest of the line.

How true, Mr. Cheese. I am not convinced he would have been the starting RG, but it would have been a disaster to happen at the end of training camp if he would have won this position. We now at least have time to find the right piece, whether he is currently on the roster or added.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring in Kyle Turley.

No. Seriously... bring in Kyle Turley.

He can sure as hell play tackle, and he's slimmed down to around 260 and he wants to line up as a tight end on occasion. Perfect fit.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Verba is a veteran option. While he is a testy personality, he is not in position to be greedy or too full of himself...which was always the problem. I say work with the young guys and, if needed, look to Verba, or another June 1 victim, to flesh out the line.

The things I do like about Verba are his tenacity, mean streak and hit to the whistle atitude.

Barry, while I feel for the guy, did himself no favors showing up fat and out of shape. As a result of his lack of commitment, I find it hard to believe he would be anything more than backup insurance on this team.

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Verba is a veteran option. While he is a testy personality, he is not in position to be greedy or too full of himself...which was always the problem. I say work with the young guys and, if needed, look to Verba, or another June 1 victim, to flesh out the line.

The things I do like about Verba are his tenacity, mean streak and hit to the whistle atitude.

Barry, while I feel for the guy, did himself no favors showing up fat and out of shape. As a result of his lack of commitment, I find it hard to believe he would be anything more than backup insurance on this team.

exactly what I was thinking. Let's see if things pan out all right for a while without Barry, you know, see if there's no major chinks in the armor. Then, come closer to the the season, we can see if we need to pick up a vetty like Verba. all in all, o-linemen I feel are very replaceable (I had to say it) and plugging someone in there in place should not be a huge deal.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
I would give Barry his injury settlement and move on. I never thought he would become a starter in the first place. I will give Barry his props - he was the U71 blaster. Now that the U-71 has been scrapped, so should he be.

The future of the interior O-line is College - Wells - Coston. In those three guys you have intelligence, athleticism, and youth. Put them in and let them gel from the beginning of training camp. Last year Sherman and Beightol f^cked around too much changing people in and out (no cohesion).

I say no to Verba. I liked him the first time he was in GB. He does not strike me as a team first type of player. The Packers have an opportunity here to build a nice O-line from the ground up, I believe Verba would be counter productive.

Generally correct. However, the new and improved Whiticker I believe will be the starting RG. He is working as first string LT currently with both Clifton and Klemm out with injuries. Barry never could play the left side.
Coston was barely active while Whiticker was starting last year. Both Coston and Whiticker should make the roster. Both are versatile and can play multiple positions unlike Barry.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone against Verba is saying No to the fact that he's not a 1st team player any longer. The line needs depth. Verba is depth. Barry was not penciled in as the starter this year. He was the backup OT this year. With Barry gone, that hole opens up. Verba would be an ideal backup tackle/guard in this league. He won't come for much money either.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree porky.... why would anyone in the world argue signing a guy to back up in one of our weakest areas.... would you rather us go in and create a player on madden to start. if theres no one else available, there isnt, if he comes at a cheap price, he will, and if he is expendable, he is.... then why not do it

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confused on the Verba argument. Do we want him as a reasonable backup player, or do we want to show him the money to come in and play for two years.

I think if Verba is signed, we start him at right guard because College should be kept on the left side. Whittaker, Coston, White, and Spitz could then battle it out for pecking order for top reserve.

All four of those guys are said to be intelligent players which is an O-linemans greatest attribute.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I to think that if we sign Verba he should start. He's probably better than any OG on our roster

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sign Verba as depth. He'll likely sign a 1 year vet min deal. I don't see him hitting the pay day with Tampa Bay (the other team looking at him) Verba also wants to play here. He contacted the Packers for a workout. So bringing him in to compete for a job is a smart move. If he's willing to play guard then I think he has a good chance at starting at either guard spot. If he's not, he's still going to add depth to a line that needs some.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Verba WANTS to come back here? I didn't know that. If he's cheap enough, why NOT give him a shot.

Yep verba actually contacted the Packers for a workout. I hope TT signs him but if Green Bay doesn't feel he's not a fit, we obviously won't sign him.

My guess is GB is waiting til after June 1st to see who is all out there.

Members online

Latest posts