Barnett question.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I was watching the game I was thinking Barnett was kind of quiet then boom interception and TD. This got me to check the league stats and low and behold Barnett is 3rd in the league in tackles. The great Urlacher of the bears is not even on the list.

My question is this .... has Barnett quietly taken the next step to become one of the elite LBs in the league? Possible Pro Bowler?

On edit.....I noticed Barnett's stats are for 4 games and Urlacher has played only 3 due to the buy week.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't read much into how many tackles someone has...the pack did that w/ Hardy Nickerson who supposedly had 200+ the season b4 he joined the Packers.

I'm not the greatest at evaluating lb talent, but IMOHO you look for your MLB to be an intimidating, dominating force, and I don't see him like that. He's fast, yes, but has trouble shedding blockers, and is average in pass coverage.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got to meet Barnett's mom when we were on our cruise this past March. In fact, we sat at the same table with the Barnett family. She is a really neat lady, and I bet she was really excited when she saw her son run all that way with the ball.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
That was an awesome play.

I'm so glad I taped this game. I've been trying to tape one and kept fuggin missing it. I can't wait to watch it.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I wouldn't read much into how many tackles someone has...the pack did that w/ Hardy Nickerson who supposedly had 200+ the season b4 he joined the Packers.

I'm not the greatest at evaluating lb talent, but IMOHO you look for your MLB to be an intimidating, dominating force, and I don't see him like that. He's fast, yes, but has trouble shedding blockers, and is average in pass coverage.

Agreed - he hasn't stood out, like other LB's on other teams - his job is to get the other team to game plan themselves (somehow) around him, and then he makes then fail at that process.... Barnett gets whiffed off the coverage quite often and his tunnel vision is probably the main cause for that. Nick was an outstanding Rookie - now, he's backed off on his efforts and probably didn't deserve the starting spot (IMHO) -- I like the guy well enough - even have plans to get his jersey in yellow. But, he needs to do one of two things - and Bates should explain why not on one of 'em.

• 1. escalate his playing ability by watching more film and possibly getting a better LB Coach

2. return to his college position, for which he certainly has an affinity

One poster I read on another forum, said he's been extremely busy with his new Restaurant Show Club - and that could be interfering with his prep time for game - I would hope he had found someone reliable to step in for that, like Brett has done.

Barnett has it in him to be twice the LB he has already shown us he can be. And, that pass, while a great thing to watch --- was a big time gimme... totally. The QB totally fluffed that ball, it wasn't deflected or anything... I'm sure the Saints Coach was on him after the game on that one. It'd be different if he had that every game.

Either he gets smarter in attacking the QB and the ball carrier, or he puts on some weight and knocks the O-Line players on their arses instead of being blown off the coverage, like a leaf in October. I'd really like to see him step up his game - and that would be right now - we're gonna need someone in the middle who can knock down those passes - he's gonna get nailed by Culpepper if he doesn't study harder.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed ipbprez...he appears to have the talent, but has really dissapointed since middle of his 1st year. I like how u use the term "tunnel vision." That describes his run defense rather well.

I think he has the potential, but he needs to step it up!

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True really like barnett but think he is better suited as an Outside LB where should have gone in the first place, just plain to small and not a force. May lead the team in tackles but that really doens't matter if the tackle was made 6 yards down the field. What we need a power LB that people are intimidated by and can throw people around.

Watch the Lions/Ravens game highlights and see how Ray Lewis just decks the RB at the goalline and throws him back. Personally, I think that should be our first pick in the draft this next year, We have a good Offense and our quarterback of the future and we should start building a Strong Defense, cause "Defense wins championships".

Move Barnett to the weak side and get a ILB from the draft, their are some good ones this coming year; Ahmad Brooks, Greenway, Hawk, Hodge. All have excellent speed (espeically brooks, Greenway and Hawk), which fits bates system and should bring the respect at the LB postion we need and most should be avaliable when we come around (probably the 32nd pick :D ). Still like Manning though, high hopes.

Possible Line up:
Weak-Side: Barnett, Lenon
Middle: Brooks*, Manning
Strong: Thomas/Manning

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ChuckSTG said:
True really like barnett but think he is better suited as an Outside LB where should have gone in the first place, just plain to small and not a force. May lead the team in tackles but that really doens't matter if the tackle was made 6 yards down the field. What we need a power LB that people are intimidated by and can throw people around.

Watch the Lions/Ravens game highlights and see how Ray Lewis just decks the RB at the goalline and throws him back. Personally, I think that should be our first pick in the draft this next year, We have a good Offense and our quarterback of the future and we should start building a Strong Defense, cause "Defense wins championships".

Move Barnett to the weak side and get a ILB from the draft, their are some good ones this coming year; Ahmad Brooks, Greenway, Hawk, Hodge. All have excellent speed (espeically brooks, Greenway and Hawk), which fits bates system and should bring the respect at the LB postion we need and most should be avaliable when we come around (probably the 32nd pick :D ). Still like Manning though, high hopes.

Possible Line up:
Weak-Side: Barnett, Lenon
Middle: Brooks*, Manning
Strong: Thomas/Manning

They TRIED Barnett at the outside positions in practice... He wasn't as effective. Thus, he remains a MLB.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well your defense has to be on the field a lot to have one of the leading tacklers in the NFL.

His size is a detriment in the running game. He requires at least one very good DT in front of him. If not, as we have seen in the past, he is too small to take on ofensive linemen.

I contend he would be better suited to the weak side. He is a fast LB and certainly a solid starter but is missuited to MLB.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they didn't move him to Weak-side even after trying him there because there is No One to replace him in the middle. That is where he has been playing and knows how to and it is one of the most important positions on defense besides Free-safety. I think he's the one who calls the plays on the field too. I bet if we had drafted a middle LB (Odell or crowder) they would have moved him outside. don't think they would trust a 4th or 5th round pick to start and run the defense.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed - I would also offer that eventually, depending on how things work out - Nick Collins may end up being that Leader ala LeRoy Butler......

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, that would be great for that kid to step it up like he has. But how local is the kid, or he is maybe one of those that will lead by example. Either way, wondering when they will let underwood play some more. Roman is pretty decent this year, but I like underwood and how he hits, just needs more experince

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it'd be great if both Collins and Underwood pan out. Can you imagine having a tough safety duo for years and years! Our defense will be looking up even more after a year or two for these young guys to come together.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why people are down on Barnett. Sure it'd be great to have Ray Lewis in there, but there's only one Ray Lewis. Our rush defense is at the top of the league right now and Barnett is at the top of the league in tackles.

Bates' defense is designed to have a MLB just like Barnett. Thomas in Miami is listed at 5-11, 228 lbs. Barnett is listed at 6-2, 233 lbs. Both are fast ball hawks who always are around the football. Both need big DTs to keep the OL off in order to make plays.

I'm also confused why people complain about him getting fired up after a good play. So many fans have wanted someone to step up as a leader to get other players fired up. When Barnett does so, fans tend to complain...

Barnett isn't going to be the best MLB in the league, but he is a very good player who's always around the football and he's still getting better. This is now his 3rd year, but it's also his 3rd DC/defensive scheme. Also the other LBs have changed this year. Through this challenge, he's 4th in the NFL in tackles right now.

Call me a fool, but I think our defense is doing great right now. One of the main reasons for the defense's success is the play of Nick Barnett.

kelbel505

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No denying that he is playmaker, but I think that when you lead the team in tackles on the stat sheet that might be decieving. I mean when I played football in high school I lead the team in tackles and was one of the tops in my conference. But I played safety. When he makes tackles he seems to make them down the field and not at the line of scrimmage. we either need another big DT to take up linemen for him (which Z. Thomas has) or switch him to the outside where his speed is more valuable and get another big AND fast MLB who is aggressive and teams will have to play around. I just don't think any teams respect him that much (or perhaps our whole defense)

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We saw last year when Grady and Lee were out that he could not take on 300 plus lbs. Offensive linemen.

He is a good player but with a Mike Wahle type coming full speed with Henderson following and then Ahman Green will the ball it is tough for a guy who is 228. With his speed he should be a better blitzer but not up the middle.

He is very fast. Put in the right position and scheme he would be a Pro Bowler. It is who else you play with him and how the coaches use him.

It is not Barnett himself.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
We saw last year when Grady and Lee were out that he could not take on 300 plus lbs. Offensive linemen.

He is a good player but with a Mike Wahle type coming full speed with Henderson following and then Ahman Green will the ball it is tough for a guy who is 228. With his speed he should be a better blitzer but not up the middle.

He is very fast. Put in the right position and scheme he would be a Pro Bowler. It is who else you play with him and how the coaches use him.

I think its a combination of Barnett being the best of the Packer LBs to play MLB, and the fact that they have tried him at OLB and he seems to play the middle better!

Besides, what is wrong with being one of the league leaders in tackles?

And I get the feeling that Bates knows what he is doing.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kelbel505 said:
No denying that he is playmaker, but I think that when you lead the team in tackles on the stat sheet that might be decieving. I mean when I played football in high school I lead the team in tackles and was one of the tops in my conference. But I played safety. When he makes tackles he seems to make them down the field and not at the line of scrimmage. we either need another big DT to take up linemen for him (which Z. Thomas has) or switch him to the outside where his speed is more valuable and get another big AND fast MLB who is aggressive and teams will have to play around. I just don't think any teams respect him that much (or perhaps our whole defense)

I don't see him getting that much respect, either!

I "do", however.. see him getting hauled outta the way on coverages, more often than not! Which is where he ends up making tackles downfield - where it's almost too late. Go back and check his read-up for College....

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

I think its a combination of Barnett being the best of the Packer LBs to play MLB, and the fact that they have tried him at OLB and he seems to play the middle better!

Besides, what is wrong with being one of the league leaders in tackles?

And I get the feeling that Bates knows what he is doing.

I think it's the fact that we have no one else to play the middle LB position. Sure they tried him out there, but you really think they would have moved him to the outside with out a suitbalbe replacement. The Middle LB is one of the most important positions on the field. The coaches aren't going to replace barnett who's knows (at least I think) the system with some unknown. Again, Next season, have him practice full time at the weakside and have him work on his coverage skills and get a Big Middle linebacker in FA or the draft (1st or second). If there is one thing about this upcoming draft its that it's stacked with Linebackers

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts