Backup Quaterback - Harrell to be released

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/60083/packers-53-man-roster-projection
Quarterbacks (2):Aaron Rodgers,Vince Young

Analysis: Keeping three quarterbacks is unlikely, so the Packers have to decide between Young and Graham Harrell. There’s a growing sense within the organization that they need a better backup than Harrell. Young might not have a firm grasp of the offense for several more weeks or even months, but it’s a risk they may be willing to take.

There is a Vince Young thread, but I want to specifically talk about the backup spot behind Rodgers. Rob Demovsky, who definitely watches a lot of training camp practices, seems to think that we are going to keep VY. I think that's crazy. While Harrell doesn't seem to have progressed and probably won't at this point, he knows the system and playbook. If we keep two QBs and Rodgers goes down in Week 1, why would we rest the season's hopes on Vince learning the playbook in the upcoming weeks & months? It's not like we have a reliable ground game to fall back upon!

What I could see is keeping Harrell and Young until Young reaches the threshold that gives the coaches comfort. Then they could part ways with Harrell mid-season to make room for an injury-related roster move.

Does anyone else like the notion of keeping just VY as the backup?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If they had brought Young in sooner, I'd be willing to risk it now ... but to open the season? I don't know. I don't see Harrell as a viable backup to be sure, but Young just isn't ready right now.

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they had brought Young in sooner, I'd be willing to risk it now ... but to open the season? I don't know. I don't see Harrell as a viable backup to be sure, but Young just isn't ready right now.
If IT happens... I dare not speak of IT, but if 'you know what' happens, I want an arogant dude that has been on the biggest stage and shined bright to stand behind center on that first series. The D will run after any back-up. We will all be standing up, breathless. Even our priests will be asking for foregiveness for what we've just said.
Let's just open every game w a little prayer. But if its not answered, i want a guy w a chip on his shoulder thats bigger than Rogers.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If IT happens... I dare not speak of IT, but if 'you know what' happens, I want an arogant dude that has been on the biggest stage and shined bright to stand behind center on that first series. The D will run after any back-up. We will all be standing up, breathless. Even our priests will be asking for foregiveness for what we've just said.
Let's just open every game w a little prayer. But if its not answered, i want a guy w a chip on his shoulder thats bigger than Rogers.

I went outside shortly after I typed my response... spun around three times and spit against the wind. We do not need to taunt the gods...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I have seen so far, I think Young is the best back up we got.
The other ones have not impressed me. At all.

Seems like there are a few fans on here who are very impatient with Young and are not willing to give him a chance.
Remember that it took A-Rod a while to get his groove on?
We lost that game in Dallas.
Again I am thankful the coaching staff is where they are and us fans are where we are.

D

Dan115

From what I have seen so far, I think Young is the best back up we got.
The other ones have not impressed me. At all.

Seems like there are a few fans on here who are very impatient with Young and are not willing to give him a chance.
Remember that it took A-Rod a while to get his groove on?
We lost that game in Dallas.
Again I am thankful the coaching staff is where they are and us fans are where we are.

What if A-Rod started that game in Dallas?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far it looks like I could be right about Vince Young.
Too early to write, "I told you so."
But I don't doubt his abilities.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince Young moved the ball better than Harrell. I'm not sure that he threw the ball any better but this game is about yards and points. If pass knock-downs counted for something then Harrell would still be in contention

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Vince Young moved the ball better than Harrell. I'm not sure that he threw the ball any better but this game is about yards and points. If pass knock-downs counted for something then Harrell would still be in contention
Plus he moved the ball with the backups whereas Harrell had the luxury of playing with the first string.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote would be with Vince Young as the backup. I saw him devastate USC when they were supposed to crush the Longhorns. He has had his troubles, but as a backup, I would take him for sure.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm on board with Vince Young as our backup all the way. He impressed me last night while I hate to give up on a guy but Harrell after last night, I can't find anything left to support him with.

Of course the Pack is somewhat notorious for being the breeding ground for backups that become future starters!

Now how about 3rd string? I know none of us even want to think about that right now but from what I've seen the past two years..... if not Harrell than who?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm on board with Vince Young as our backup all the way. He impressed me last night while I hate to give up on a guy but Harrell after last night, I can't find anything left to support him with.

Of course the Pack is somewhat notorious for being the breeding ground for backups that become future starters!

Now how about 3rd string? I know none of us even want to think about that right now but from what I've seen the past two years..... if not Harrell than who?

If VY beats out Harrell for the number 2 spot Harrell will be cut if he loses the number 2 gig it would be pretty well understood that his ceiling has been met. The 3rd guy would be Bj coleman sitting on the practice squad for another year.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides me, who else was giving Vince Young a chance when the Packers first signed him?
I knew that it would take some time for him to adapt to the Packers playbook.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was inevitable given Harrell's lack of improvement or production. Hopefully he'll have better luck with another team and be able to do what he couldn't do with us. Meanwhile a big two paws up to Vince Young.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those around here who didn't want to give Vince Young a chance were wrong.
Wrong to give up on him so soon.
Those of us who waited to see what he could do were right.

Vince is the only reason why I watch the pre-season games.
He is great to watch in action.

12theTruth

Graham Harrell wasn't drafted by an NFL team coming out of college. The Packers invested 3 years of training into him. All down the drain now.
At least the Packers deviated from the script this offseason. Nobody seen the addition of Vince Young when it happened. But in retrospect it seems the coaches weren't happy with Harrell for some time now thus the addition of Young.

At least the Packers recognized a weakness and took steps to fix it.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham Harrell wasn't drafted by an NFL team coming out of college. The Packers invested 3 years of training into him. All down the drain now.
At least the Packers deviated from the script this offseason. Nobody seen the addition of Vince Young when it happened. But in retrospect it seems the coaches weren't happy with Harrell for some time now thus the addition of Young.

At least the Packers recognized a weakness and took steps to fix it.
I don't know about you, but the Packers signing Young was a huge neon sign saying that they were not happy with the development of Harrell and were ready to jump ship to my eyes.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Harrell but his lack luster performance,in these games and last night was no better. Young shows what he had when in Tenn. I think he will be fine as a back up.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is a solid move. Harrell didn't take the steps of progression necessary to be a viable backup for us. His mental grasp of the offense seemed to improve, while his decision making and physical aspect of his game did not. If you can't make those quick reads and deliver the ball, what good does it do? Vince Young has the physical tools you want, and his decision making skills are better. Not to mention VY is a running threat when the play breaks down. He certainly needs more time and isnt perfect, but he gives us the best shot of winning. He's a loose cannon at times, but the packers are a perfect fit for him. Our wrs are fantastic route runners and he would have more weapons than he's ever had before catching the ball. I love that TT and MM arent going to be so stubborn with another Harrell and can swallow their pride and move on! Vince knows this is a golden opportunity to extend his career - and his last.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubt if AR can't play....VY can run the team and win.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell's numbers were just horrific.
I read that he had like 13 or 15 drives, and led the team to a total of 3 points. And that came on a drive that started at the other team's 30 yard line or close to it..... if you can't produce, at all, in preseason, you gotta go.

I tried defending this guy the past 2 years.
Now I don't blame Thompson or McCarthy for axing him.

If Young gets hurt or doesn't pan out, up next will be Vince Young's replacement at Texas, Colt McCoy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts