Backup Quarterback

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we have Matt Flynn. I may get my head bit off by some of you, but I feel we need to ge a solid backup in behind Rodgers, and use Flynn as our 3rd til he develops more. I want Jeff Garcia to come in and play the backup role for us. That way (hope to god not) if Rodgers were to go down, we would have an experienced guy at the head, and not flush the season down the toilet... Your thoughts?

OP
OP
Mack_20

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think if Rodgers went down and Flynn came in he could carry the team? you've got to be kidding me... and to say he could do it over a guy like Garcia? I support our guys, but you can't be that blinded..

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, Im with ya on this Mack. I dont think Flynn can carry the team if Rodgers goes down. He still needs a few more years behind Aaron before he can play full games if needed. Actually, Id love to see us grab Derek Anderson and have him as Aaon's back-up.. But that ain't gonna happen.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think if Rodgers went down and Flynn came in he could carry the team? you've got to be kidding me... and to say he could do it over a guy like Garcia? I support our guys, but you can't be that blinded..
Last time Flynn played: Jan 3, 2010. He was 4/6 for 36 yards. He'll be 25 this year.

Last time Garcia played: 2008. Since then, he was released from the Bucs, the Raiders and the Eagles. He'll be 40 this year.
----
Yeah, I'l take my chances with the young Flynn, that has been groomed by MM, a notable QB coach, since 2008, than with the likes of Garcia, Culpepper, Derek Anderson and Jake Delhomme... There was talk about the Browns wanting to trade for Flynn, so despite what's his concept between the fan base, some mildly talentet guy in Mike Holmgren actually showed interest in him...

And like I said before, this is discussed every freaking offseason since Rodgers is the starter, and every offseason Flynn ends up being the backup and the Packers don't sign anybody, so nothing wil happen, and nothing should happen.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. Better to have one and not need one.........than to need one and not have one.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember it took Rodgers three years to develop behind Favre. Flynn is now in his 3rd year with us, and showed drastic improvement last year over the year before. I imagine he's going to improve even more this year.

If he improves this season, I think he'll be traded next season. We'll probably draft a QB and grab a veteran backup then.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many backups in the NFL do you think can actually come in and carry the team? Not many.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we need to bring a back-up in either. I think with Flynn learning this offense for 2 years now, he is more capable of being successful than Anderson, Garcia, or whoever. Now if we were talking about Brian Brohm as our back-up....

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D. Anderson just got cut. I am sure he would do a better job than Flynn at this point.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D. Anderson just got cut. I am sure he would do a better job than Flynn at this point.
Derek Anderson 2009 stats:

81 completions in 182 attempts for a whopping 44,5% completion.
3 TDs for 10 INTs in 7 games as a starter.

And he doesn't know the offense.

But yeah, he'd probably do better.
-
All I can say is the grass is allways greener on the other side...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derek anderson to green bay will NOT happen. He's already scheduled to visit with several teams including Carolina and Arizona. I'm very sure that 1 of those teams will sign him.

As for our backup situation, TT likes Flynn as the no. 2 guy so if we get any qb it would have to be a very raw and inexperienced prospect.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many backups in the NFL do you think can actually come in and carry the team? Not many.

HMMM... the names Brady, Warner, DelHomme all come to mind. WEIRD!

Oh and BTW, all three of those "back-up QB's" were Super Bowl STARTING QB's. Research before posting.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh no dont get packerRS going lol . i think everything will be all right at qb. maybe draft one in the later rounds to groom like ron wolf always did
THAT!

Oh and BTW, all three of those "back-up QB's" were Super Bowl STARTING QB's. Research before posting.
So you can use Brady as a backup analogy that suceeded? Wasn't Brady like a 6th rounder who was with the team already???? Kinda like, you know, Matt Flynn????

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THAT!

So you can use Brady as a backup analogy that suceeded? Wasn't Brady like a 6th rounder who was with the team already???? Kinda like, you know, Matt Flynn????

Thats my point exactly.... Yes Brady was a backup that suceeded. Brady was the backup to Bledsoe in 2001 when he got the chance to start when Bledsoe got hurt.... Whats your point? What I said was fact. And Im making the argument FOR backup QB's that carried the team, not against.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

so 3 in the past 12 years? thank you for proving my point and looking foolish

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I count 6 teams right now with a quality backup. I dont count teams that the back up was better than the starter. Tenn and Oakland for example. We dont need to sign a Vet QB mostly because there arent any worth taking a roster spot. We would choose between what Mr. I get my roll on and Jeff I am older than favre Garcia (he might be a year younger I have no clue). The point being its better to develop in house than waste time with some washed up QB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats my point exactly.... Yes Brady was a backup that suceeded. Brady was the backup to Bledsoe in 2001 when he got the chance to start when Bledsoe got hurt.... Whats your point? What I said was fact. And Im making the argument FOR backup QB's that carried the team, not against.
My point is that we don't need another veterna backup Qb, because we have a good one in Flynn.

People had the same concept about Brady and Cassel than they have of Flynn, but all of those qbs were groomed by excelent QB coaches, and showed promise in TC and when they played.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derek Anderson 2009 stats:

81 completions in 182 attempts for a whopping 44,5% completion.
3 TDs for 10 INTs in 7 games as a starter.

And he doesn't know the offense.

But yeah, he'd probably do better.
-
All I can say is the grass is allways greener on the other side...
Stats also tell a person a few other things...........and sometimes nothing

Brett Favre.......man of all men.......best QB in the history of the game.....blah...blah...blahh

2005 stats 20 TD's 29 ints

Did Anderson have anyone to throw the ball to? What team did he play for? Anyhow.......its not like I think he is anything special.......I was just throwing that out there!!! I think it is a good idea to have a vet on the roster........as long as his name is not spelled Ryan Leaf....LOL

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so 3 in the past 12 years? thank you for proving my point and looking foolish

OK, I will continue with a couple more....

in 72 Earl Morrall came in to start when Griese went down and carried the Dolphins through their undefeated season.

1991 Phill Simms WAS the starter for the Giants but when he got hurt his back up QB Jeff Hostetler stepped in and the Giants played in the super bowl

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that we don't need another veterna backup Qb, because we have a good one in Flynn.

People had the same concept about Brady and Cassel than they have of Flynn, but all of those qbs were groomed by excelent QB coaches, and showed promise in TC and when they played.

IMO Cassel was a system QB, more proof that in house QBs are better than going out and hitting the street for one. He was great for NE but when you got him out of what he knew he wasnt that good. Maybe i am judging a little prematurely though on him.

Who knows maybe Fynn is the next Rodgers. Until the Dallas game when Rodgers went in for Favre we the fans had zero clue where Rodgers stood as a QB

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I will continue with a couple more....

in 72 Earl Morrall came in to start when Griese went down and carried the Dolphins through their undefeated season.

1991 Phill Simms WAS the starter for the Giants but when he got hurt his back up QB Jeff Hostetler stepped in and the Giants played in the super bowl

Your at 5 in 40 years, keep going. Here let me help, Balt in 2000. Then again that idiot was cut after they won...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point I was trying to make is most teams in the NFL currently do not have quality back ups that would be able to go in and carry a team. go through and count them. Some to be fair we dont know about, but most of them i cant even name. I would have to google who the bears 2nd and 3rd string Qbs are. Drew Stanton is god aweful, and Tjack would cause problems for his team since they would have to run a much different offense. The packers should not waste time trying to find someone thats a free agent because there isnt one thats worth the roster spot. As 90% of people on here say, lets just draft a 3rd stringer. The packers must feel very confident in Flynn for not picking anyone else up last year.

Members online

Latest posts