Asomugha

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the Raiders are going to trade for DeAngelo Hall, do any of you think this guy might be releases from his franchise tag? It seems to me it would be pretty difficult to give both of these guys elite cb money.

I don't think Asamagha has signed the tag either. I think he would make a great addition to our secondary. ******** Ted Thompson sitting on all that money (we need a sarcasm smiley)!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asamagha

Shamhsdgag! I just wanted to put up jibberish since you did it. Oh wait, that's the guy's name?!

I'm not familiar with him, but I am ready to move on at the CB position. Woodson\Harris are aging and play the same style(so when they play someone who is stronger and bigger, they're BOTH screwed, instead of just one)...

Hopefully the young'ns step up, or we get this guy. He's 26(just looked it up). I wouldn't mind this.

Reaction score
Asamagha

IF such a move were to happen (Raiders rescinding the franchise tag on Asamagha) I'd love for Ted to go after him.

There is one problem I see though. Let's say the Packers sign Asomugha, and he ends up beating out Al Harris as the starter. What do we do then?

Al Harris doesn't play Nickel. The only time Al was extensively forced to line up as a Nickel CB per say, was against the Cowboys, when the Boys would put TO in motion and have him lining up in the slot. On those occasions, Al would apply the jam at the LOS on TO, and then either get beaten running after TO, or let TO pass by him and be picked up by a Safety (usually Nick Collins).

That's why it looked liked the Packers were in so much zone against the Cowboys, because when Al lined up as a quasi-nickel CB, the Packers used the basic principle of zone coverage. Al is severely limited in terms of being a Nickel CB.

So then what would we do with Al, IF (and that is a big if) Asomugha signed with GB, and along with Woodson, proved to be the best 2 CBs on the roster?

Would you have Asamagha be Nickel CB by default then? Would Asomugha be happy with a back-up role if he outplays one of the starters?

That might be a problem.

Packers_Finland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asamagha

You're all writing his name wrong it's: Asomugha. And he will want way too much money for TT to spend. Also IMO he is better than either of our current starting CBs. He had 8 picks in 2006, and last year, according to some sources, only 31 passes was thrown his direction, only 10 for completions.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Re: Asamagha

all about da packers said:
That might be a problem.

Not if Al Harris was traded.

Never forgive. Never forget.

I agree. If someone gets beat out of a position, and isn't happy or can't perform well at another location, they must be moved. Ted's proved he's willing to do whatever it takes. I'm sure plenty of teams would like to have an Al Harris.

Reaction score
Re: Asamagha

I agree. If someone gets beat out of a position, and isn't happy or can't perform well at another location, they must be moved. Ted's proved he's willing to do whatever it takes. I'm sure plenty of teams would like to have an Al Harris.

Three things:

1) Al plays man-to-man. That would greatly reduce the number of teams that would want Al, who is by the way a 33 year old CB. Al would have to be starting on whatever team he goes to, or he'd be dead weight on another team.

2) I think Al's value extends beyond the field. The Packers have lost two of their leaders from last year in the locker room, Brett Favre and Rob Davis. Al is a leader, he is the type of player that you want on your team.

In the Eagles game, Al got hurt, and he couldn't move his arm. Yet Al went out on the field again, and played. That type of attitude and leadership is needed on this young team, IMO.

3) Al has friends in the locker room, and trying to trade Al might cause Al to become disgruntled. Bigby and C-Wood are both close with Al, so do you risk possibly creating a problem between players and management if the perception is that Al got a raw deal?

Let's also not forget that Al can be very valuable teaching our young CBs the art of playing man-to-man, similar to how Troy Vincent taught Al how to play man-to-man.

I don't think it's as simple as 'trade Al' if he is beaten out for a starting spot. I really think the best thing for the Packers is to go and get a rookie CB in the draft and groom him. As much as I'd love to see Asomugha in Green and Gold if the Raiders rescind the franchise tag, it's not simply a matter of offering Asomugha money and getting him to sign.

There are other factors that need to be taken into consideration.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any team gets him next year, I truly hope it will be the Packers of course.

He will be expensive, but.... He would be worth Evey Penny. He is a shut down corner. My God! Last year teams did not even go near a receiver on his side of the field.

I think Al will sell his 1970's "Bee Gees'" memorabilia collection to make room for both of them on the field at the same time, before he let's this opportunity go.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asomugha is top-notch. If it's there...make the move.

Absolutely. If Al Davis is dumb enough the un-tag him, then we need to go after him. He's got Hall's skills and Samuel's attitude. Asomugha is the guy I wanted all along.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris and Woodson are gonna be our starting corners for the next two years, with or without Nnamdi Asomugha.

Sure, we'll be paying top notch CB money for a nickel corner (Asomugha), but it'll all be worth it after Harris/Woodson retire.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's good enough to start for most teams and would probably get money comparable to Asante Samuel. Not the same but close. I think people believe the Packers need to have 3 Pro Bowl caliber Corners but that's a lot of money to put into just one position.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember where I read it, but I thought a supposed "Trade" for D-hall would involve a swap of draft picks, and Players, and I thought Asomugha would be the one the Falcons would want.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember where I read it, but I thought a supposed "Trade" for D-hall would involve a swap of draft picks, and Players, and I thought Asomugha would be the one the Falcons would want.

That would be so dumb for Al Davis to do. Nnamdi is arguably a better corner than Hall. Why would he downgrade his squad? This is why I see this whole "un-tag Nnamdi" thing as BS. Having both Hall and Asosasmugamahas-hamas as a tandem would be very very strong.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

That would be so dumb for Al Davis to do. Nnamdi is arguably a better corner than Hall. Why would he downgrade his squad? This is why I see this whole "un-tag Nnamdi" thing as BS. Having both Hall and Asosasmugamahas-hamas as a tandem would be very very strong.

To be honest I've read some crazy stuff about the Raiders in general since the season ended. But what I saw was probably just a rumor mill and had no truth to the matter. I saw the ESPn article this morning, and there was no mention of him so.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
That would be so dumb for Al Davis to do.

When in the past about 3 to 4 years has alot of "his" choices made much sense?

It is sad to see him continue to slip.. but someone needs to step in an relieve Al of control.. IMO.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's good enough to start for most teams and would probably get money comparable to Asante Samuel. Not the same but close. I think people believe the Packers need to have 3 Pro Bowl caliber Corners but that's a lot of money to put into just one position.

He's good enough to be the no. 1 corner on every team (including GB) that's not the Denver Broncos. He's a phenomenal man to man corner with size, speed, athleticism, instincts, and hands (2 of em in fact :D ). I would absolutely love to overpay for this guy, even if it was for 10-12 mil/year and $25 mil guaranteed. HE'S THAT GOOD. Him and Woodson would be the 2 corners in our base defense and Woodson would move over to the slot in the nickle package and Al would play the no. 2 receiver with Nnamdi on the no. 1. I love Al, and he's still a very good corner in the league, but he's old and is showing signs of decreased production. Nnamdi is his replacement. How many passed do you think were completed on Nnamdi, with a terrible pass rush from the defensive line giving QB's all the time in the world to throw...? I'll give you a hint...I have __ fingers. 10! 10 completions in 31 attempts on Asomugha. The epitome of shutting you down. Nnamdi/C. Wood/Al Harris/Bigby/Collins is one hell of a secondary. If Collins evolves into an above average safety, there's the most talented secondary in football.

I'd trade this years and next years 1st. In a NY minute.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Danreb said:
Harris and Woodson are gonna be our starting corners for the next two years, with or without Nnamdi Asomugha.

God I hope not.

You're letting the events of one game dictate the entire defense.

Al Harris and Charles Woodson are still the guys that the club is based around, and it wouldn't make any sense for them to both suddenly be demoted after one bad game.

If the Packers had a consistent pass rush the entire season, Harris and Woodson wouldn't be scapegoats.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Danreb said:

God I hope not.

You're letting the events of one game dictate the entire defense.(1)

Al Harris and Charles Woodson are still the guys that the club is based around(2), and it wouldn't make any sense for them to both suddenly be demoted after one bad game.

If the Packers had a consistent pass rush the entire season, Harris and Woodson wouldn't be scapegoats.(3)

1. That's right. Add that to the fact that Al and Chuck don't compliment eachother, and I don't like it. They're the same player. So when a WR can beat 1, he can beat the other. There is no contingency plan. There is no very skilled 'finesse' guy that can go against a WR who can be more physical than Al\Chuck.
2. No, it's not. If anything, the defense is centered around the D-line.
3. You're joking, right? We had a top 10 D-line in 2007.

Reaction score
1. That's right. Add that to the fact that Al and Chuck don't compliment eachother, and I don't like it. They're the same player. So when a WR can beat 1, he can beat the other. There is no contingency plan. There is no very skilled 'finesse' guy that can go against a WR who can be more physical than Al\Chuck.

Actually no, Al and Chuck are quite different.

Al is purely a physical corner.

Chuck is actually physical if he wants to be, but is also a finesse cover guy. He mixes things up, pressing at LOS on one play, then backing like 7 yards off the WR on the next play.

I don't know how you can say Al and Chuck don't compliment each other, they've been doing it for two years. Chuck has the ability to do something different than what Al was doing, if in fact man-coverage isn't working.

I think they compliment each other quite well. I think the Cowboys game is a perfect example of just how well Al and Charles complement each other, 1/2 of the duo was out and the other half suffered. Badly.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Actually no, Al and Chuck are quite different.

Al is purely a physical corner.

Chuck is actually physical if he wants to be, but is also a finesse cover guy. He mixes things up, pressing at LOS on one play, then backing like 7 yards off the WR on the next play.

I don't know how you can say Al and Chuck don't compliment each other, they've been doing it for two years. Chuck has the ability to do something different than what Al was doing, if in fact man-coverage isn't working.

I think they compliment each other quite well. I think the Cowboys game is a perfect example of just how well Al and Charles complement each other, 1/2 of the duo was out and the other half suffered. Badly.

Yes, Chuck can be more finesse than Al, but that's not exactly hard to do. They both play the same game, but yes, Chuck has more in his bag o tricks. Al is money against average sized, average speed WRs. I blame McCarthy for the fiasco vs New York. Chuck should have played on Plaxico more. McCarthy does that sometimes, he puts too much faith in guys. He would call 3 pass plays on 1st and goal with Brett, and he'd let Al get owned by bigger WRs. Stubborn **** headcoach needs to wake up!

Members online

Latest posts