As a Falcon's Fan...

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... I'd like to hear what you guys think are the biggest needs this offseason for the Packers, as well as, opinions on the status of the team and players in general.

I'm sure you guys are wondering why a Falcons fan would venture up north to this message board (don't worry, no trolling here). On the Falcons' message board, we're having an interactive mock draft where 32 of us choose teams to have a mock offseason for; I chose the Packers. I've always followed the Packers loosely, so I thought it would be fun to get to know the team better. Anyway, I could use your guys' help in identifying key needs for this offseason in addition to reviews of how some players are doing.

For instance, from the research that I've done, Inside line backer, tight end, and safety seem like the 3 biggest needs ( assuming Sam Shields and EDS are re-signed). However I've also read on these boards, that EDS is expendable, so since I'm not a die hard Packers fan, I could use help on discerning the talent level of the team. Another situation that I'm confused about is the pass rush. I can't for the life of me figure out whether an upgrade needs to be made at OLB across from Matthews or if Perry just hasn't hit his stride yet.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated! I look forward to learning more about the Packers over the next few days. Thanks!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... I'd like to hear what you guys think are the biggest needs this offseason for the Packers, as well as, opinions on the status of the team and players in general.

I'm sure you guys are wondering why a Falcons fan would venture up north to this message board (don't worry, no trolling here). On the Falcons' message board, we're having an interactive mock draft where 32 of us choose teams to have a mock offseason for; I chose the Packers. I've always followed the Packers loosely, so I thought it would be fun to get to know the team better. Anyway, I could use your guys' help in identifying key needs for this offseason in addition to reviews of how some players are doing.

For instance, from the research that I've done, Inside line backer, tight end, and safety seem like the 3 biggest needs ( assuming Sam Shields and EDS are re-signed). However I've also read on these boards, that EDS is expendable, so since I'm not a die hard Packers fan, I could use help on discerning the talent level of the team. Another situation that I'm confused about is the pass rush. I can't for the life of me figure out whether an upgrade needs to be made at OLB across from Matthews or if Perry just hasn't hit his stride yet.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated! I look forward to learning more about the Packers over the next few days. Thanks!

Welcome :)..and just a heads up if you are a Troll you won't last long here anyways so we don't concern ourselves with that to much around here.

EDS is a center, not ILB, TE, or Safety.. and altho he's just average to me alot of people want to see him back. I'm not one of those people, i think Lang can easily slide over to center and it be an upgrade.

As for Sam Shields? he's #1 on the must re-sign list imo, we have ome depth at corner but Shields has all the tools to be a shutdown corner for a long time. Pay the man.

Safety is our biggest need: Our safties were amongst the worse in the ENTIRE league. Anyone not named MD Jennings would be an upgrade and Morgan Burnett didn't do didly to cover up for Jennings sorryness as he was pretty bad at times to. I expect a safety to be selected in the first two rounds for sure by Teddy.

We could use some more speed on the inside but another guy who likes to tackle would be nice as well. I like Mayo the former Patriot but Tt doesn't sign FA'S so it probably won't happen?? but Mayo was rated like #1 in the league against the run.

OLB needs alot of help to. Perry hasn't panned out and he's injury prone. I simply think the guy needs to be playing on the line but im not the coach..if you ever watch him out in space you would probably agree with me. Another pass rusher is a MUST. Without Clay Matthews the pass rush simply dissapears at times. Have to fix that.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Impressive research you are conducting. I think you are pretty accurate with your assessment. Needs:

1. Safety
2. Safety
3. Safety

4. ILB
5. TE
6. DL
7. OLB

While we have you Falcon fan, how do you feel about the Julio trade a few years down the road now? The obvious - Julio is a stud. The less obvious, trading away so much may have hurt the Falcons ability to shore up the rest of the roster. Having not followed the Falcons close enough to truly judge, I'm curious to see what your assessment is and whether there is a consensus amongst the fans.

p.s. Take Rodell's advice with some caution - he still wants Charles Woodson on our team ;)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree that safely is priority number one. I'd put ILB and DL needs two and three.

I'm also curious what you think about the Julio trade.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Addressing your question specifically, I think that the biggest position that you'll see on this forum is safety. Tight end is up there assuming Finley is not allowed to play again. OLB and ILB have similar needs - OLB needs a bookend to Clay Matthews and ILB needs a bookend to AJ Hawk (and an eventual replacement).

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
1. Safety
2. Safety
3. Safety
4. ILB
5. TE
6. DL
7. OLB
This list is pretty accurate. I'd re-emphasize the DL as Pickett is getting old and Raji hasn't consistently produced in a while. We need a pass rusher to compensate for The ClayMinator, not sure if Datone Jones is that guy or not, (our 1st round draft pick in 2013).

For a little history, we lost our best OT's a couple years ago in Tauscher and Clifton. GM Ted gave us Marshall Newhouse at LT for a couple years which was a disaster, but I think most would agree Bryan Bulaga did well at RT in 2012. In 2013 they moved him to LT (and Sitton to LG) but Bulaga went down in preseason for the year (ugh). The new guy Bachtiari did a lot better than Newhouse (so did my dead grandmother) at LT this season so don't be surprised if he doesn't get the starting job in 2014. Don Barclay did okay at RT but I think they'll move Bulaga back over there next season myself (others may disagree). Then we have Derrick Sherrod, our 1st round pick from 2011. He went down with a broken leg and was out for 2011 and 2012 and just came back in 2013 (must have been a mean leg break). IF he is able to reach his potential that could give us some really good problems trying to decide which of those four starts at OT.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys I run a golf store here in Plano TX and have gotten to know the best starting OL on the Falcons the past spring, summer, Justin Blalock. Nice guy.
Their OL was terrible this year, and they made a mistake letting VETERAN John Abraham go.

OUR NEEDS:
Safety (Pryor, Ha-Ha, or Bucannon)
ILB (Borland or Mosley)
ILB (Anyone who likes to tackle)
TE (Big guy at least 6-6)
TE (See above)
DT/NT
OLB if we lose Mike Neal
WR

OP
OP
D

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome :)..and just a heads up if you are a Troll you won't last long here anyways so we don't concern ourselves with that to much around here.

EDS is a center, not ILB, TE, or Safety.. and altho he's just average to me alot of people want to see him back. I'm not one of those people, i think Lang can easily slide over to center and it be an upgrade.

As for Sam Shields? he's #1 on the must re-sign list imo, we have ome depth at corner but Shields has all the tools to be a shutdown corner for a long time. Pay the man.

Safety is our biggest need: Our safties were amongst the worse in the ENTIRE league. Anyone not named MD Jennings would be an upgrade and Morgan Burnett didn't do didly to cover up for Jennings sorryness as he was pretty bad at times to. I expect a safety to be selected in the first two rounds for sure by Teddy.

We could use some more speed on the inside but another guy who likes to tackle would be nice as well. I like Mayo the former Patriot but Tt doesn't sign FA'S so it probably won't happen?? but Mayo was rated like #1 in the league against the run.

OLB needs alot of help to. Perry hasn't panned out and he's injury prone. I simply think the guy needs to be playing on the line but im not the coach..if you ever watch him out in space you would probably agree with me. Another pass rusher is a MUST. Without Clay Matthews the pass rush simply dissapears at times. Have to fix that.

First, I just want to thank you all for all the replies and the warm welcome. As for your specific post, sorry I meant as long as EDS and Shields are re-signed, then those three positions would be the biggest needs. So you think Lang could play center better than EDS? Who would take his place at RG? I could see the Packers drafting someone like Gabe Jackson or David Yankey in the second to fill the position. This would also save money to possibly sign a guy like Byrd in FA even if it is against TT's offseason methodology. I definitely agree that Shields need to be kept as well. Do you think that OLB or ILB is a bigger need this offseason?

OP
OP
D

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Impressive research you are conducting. I think you are pretty accurate with your assessment. Needs:

1. Safety
2. Safety
3. Safety

4. ILB
5. TE
6. DL
7. OLB

While we have you Falcon fan, how do you feel about the Julio trade a few years down the road now? The obvious - Julio is a stud. The less obvious, trading away so much may have hurt the Falcons ability to shore up the rest of the roster. Having not followed the Falcons close enough to truly judge, I'm curious to see what your assessment is and whether there is a consensus amongst the fans.

p.s. Take Rodell's advice with some caution - he still wants Charles Woodson on our team ;)

Thanks! I really want to mock a guy like Byrd or Ward to the Packers, but I know TT doesn't like splash FA signings. How do you feel about the safeties in this draft? I haven't watched them enough yet to see if they're good or not. I feel like everyone on this board wants Pryor, Clinton-Dix, or Buchannon. Do you feel that these 3 would be ready enough from day 1 to take pressure off of Morgan Burnett so that hopefully he can revert back to his better play when Collins was around?

I also feel that if one of the rookie safeties is drafted, bring in Charles Woodson as a FS could be a good idea to at least mentor the new guy. Also same question as above, do you think ILB or OLB is a bigger need. It seems like most people on here think pass rush needs to be improved but don't list OLB as a key need this offseason.

H

HardRightEdge

We really can't say quite yet. There's over 4 months to the draft including the free agency period.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Raji is likely gone in free agency, Jolly may have a career ending injury and Pickett will be 35 and has been playing with a bum knee. All 3 of these guys are unrestricted free agents with no dead cap or other obligations attached.

The idea that our starting base D-line would be Datone Jones, Boyd and Daniels should send any Packer fan screaming into the night.

If 2 of those 3 questionable starters from last season are not back in the fold with good medical prognoses, I'll lay dollars to doughnuts D-Line will be the top priority and WILL be the first round pick if there's any 3-4 first round talent left on the board. Put Nix, Hageman and Tuitt on your radar.

After that I'd look at "best available linebacker", inside or outside, then safety.

The defense is a mess. When you look at one game and say, "we need to get more physical in the middle of the D" and then look at the next game and say, "we're lacking speed and athleticism" (watch LeRoy Butler's weekly videos for a good illustration of the whipsaw), you know there's a general talent deficit.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree that safely is priority number one. I'd put ILB and DL needs two and three.

I'm also curious what you think about the Julio trade.

Ah, the Julio trade. That has been a hotly debated topic on the Falcons' board for a couple of years now. Like borderrivals said, it's obvious that Julio is a stud, but 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and a fourth is a lot to give up. Personally, I love the player but hate the trade. I would say Julio is probably a top 5 WR when healthy. The only guys I would definitely put ahead of him are Calvin Johnson and AJ Green. My problem with the trade is that 1) the Falcons gave away WAY too much. Essentially they traded 4 good starters for 1 elite starter. Not worth it in my opinion. This one trade in itself has created a lack of depth on both the offensive and defensive line. 2) The Falcons should have just traded for Calvin if they wanted a premier receiver. Calvin wasn't known as the best WR in football at the time, maybe not even top 5. If Brandon Marshall was traded for 2 seconds, I can't imagine the Lions would have rejected 2 firsts. And that still would have saved 2 second round picks as well as a fourth rounder. So in conclusion, I love Julio but if I were the GM at the time, there's no way I would have made that trade. I hated it then, and I hate it now. I think most Falcons fans would agree with my previous statement, but there are some that think that Julio was worth it.

As for Steven Jackson, I have no problem with the acquisition. I think a good RB can be found in the mid rounds of the draft, but at the time, the team felt that they were one or two pieces away from the Super Bowl, so I can understand the signing. There are some fans that want to release Jackson this offseason, but I think the Falcons have too many other positions to fill in the draft, and Jackson's contract wasn't too expensive. Plus, I think that Jackson still has something left in the tank. It's not his fault that the O-line sucks and gave him no room to run. With an improved O-line next year, I expect him to revert closer to his past production.

OP
OP
D

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This list is pretty accurate. I'd re-emphasize the DL as Pickett is getting old and Raji hasn't consistently produced in a while. We need a pass rusher to compensate for The ClayMinator, not sure if Datone Jones is that guy or not, (our 1st round draft pick in 2013).

For a little history, we lost our best OT's a couple years ago in Tauscher and Clifton. GM Ted gave us Marshall Newhouse at LT for a couple years which was a disaster, but I think most would agree Bryan Bulaga did well at RT in 2012. In 2013 they moved him to LT (and Sitton to LG) but Bulaga went down in preseason for the year (ugh). The new guy Bachtiari did a lot better than Newhouse (so did my dead grandmother) at LT this season so don't be surprised if he doesn't get the starting job in 2014. Don Barclay did okay at RT but I think they'll move Bulaga back over there next season myself (others may disagree). Then we have Derrick Sherrod, our 1st round pick from 2011. He went down with a broken leg and was out for 2011 and 2012 and just came back in 2013 (must have been a mean leg break). IF he is able to reach his potential that could give us some really good problems trying to decide which of those four starts at OT.

Thanks! The description of the offensive line helped a lot. It seems like the tackle position is pretty set at this point, there's enough depth and talent (3 1st round picks) to at least be serviceable. With Sitton, Lang, and Dietrich-Smith being above average as well, it seems like Bulaga's return would solidify the offensive line. I keep hearing that the offensive line didn't perform well in protecting Rodgers. Unlike the Falcon's line, there doesn't seem to be a lack of talent or one glaring hole. Do you feel that the O-line is adequate, if not, how would you change it?

OP
OP
D

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys I run a golf store here in Plano TX and have gotten to know the best starting OL on the Falcons the past spring, summer, Justin Blalock. Nice guy.
Their OL was terrible this year, and they made a mistake letting VETERAN John Abraham go.

OUR NEEDS:
Safety (Pryor, Ha-Ha, or Bucannon)
ILB (Borland or Mosley)
ILB (Anyone who likes to tackle)
TE (Big guy at least 6-6)
TE (See above)
DT/NT
OLB if we lose Mike Neal
WR

Just one of many mistakes that the Falcons made this offseason. They also should have kept Grimes, although who could have seen his stellar return coming? I saw that you listed OLB if the Packers lose Mike Neal, does that mean that you believe Mike Neal is an adequate pass rusher across from Matthews? Is he significantly better than Perry?

OP
OP
D

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We really can't say quite yet. There's over 4 months to the draft including the free agency period.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...Raji is likely gone in free agency, Jolly may have a career ending injury and Pickett will be 35 and has been playing with a bum knee.

The idea that our starting base D-line would be Datone Jones, Boyd and Daniels should send any Packer fan screaming into the night.

If 2 of those 3 questionable starters from last season are not back in the fold with good medical prognoses, I'll lay dollars to doughnuts D-Line will be the top priority and WILL be the first round pick if there's any 3-4 first round talent left on the board. Put Nix, Hageman and Tuitt on your radar.

After that I'd look at "best available linebacker", inside or outside, then safety.

The defense is a mess. When you look at one game and say, "we need to get more physical in the middle of the D" and then look at the next game and say, "we're lacking speed and athleticism" (watch LeRoy Butler's weekly videos for a good illustration of the whipsaw), you know there's a general talent deficit.

Interesting, would you feel better about the D-line if the Packers signed a guy like Paul Soliai. He's a big 340 pound NT and wouldn't break the bank either, so it seems like a TT type of move. Jones, Soliai, and Daniels doesn't seem too bad. By the way, I had never heard of Daniels until yesterday, but apparently he's quite a good pass rusher from the 3-4 DE position? Is he ready to play full time and not just as a situational pass rusher?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just one of many mistakes that the Falcons made this offseason. They also should have kept Grimes, although who could have seen his stellar return coming? I saw that you listed OLB if the Packers lose Mike Neal, does that mean that you believe Mike Neal is an adequate pass rusher across from Matthews? Is he significantly better than Perry?
Perry is a bit better than Neal, but Perry has not stayed healthy at all for 2 years now.
Neal was the same too, but his 3rd year now he just played 16 games (then exited fast in the playoff game).
He didn't look great or even good, but he had some moments. We'll bring him back if he's fair-priced, which is certainly possible because nobody else could possibly have seen anything in him that warranted him being more than a day-3 draft pick originally.

H

HardRightEdge

Interesting, would you feel better about the D-line if the Packers signed a guy like Paul Soliai. He's a big 340 pound NT and wouldn't break the bank either, so it seems like a TT type of move. Jones, Soliai, and Daniels doesn't seem too bad. By the way, I had never heard of Daniels until yesterday, but apparently he's quite a good pass rusher from the 3-4 DE position? Is he ready to play full time and not just as a situational pass rusher?
We could play with either Jones or Daniels at base DE, but we could not get away with both. They're too small. Daniels strength is as an inside nickel pass rusher in rotation. Jones has not demonstrated any particular strength...his few snaps have been, again, at nickle DT. Without Raji and Jolly, we don't have a bona fide base DE on this roster, Wilson notwithstanding since he's a FA as well and probably would be a backup only if kept.

H

HardRightEdge

We could play with Neal if the other positions were shored up. At least he has something of a motor if not all the quickness you'd like. He's not going to be a 10 sack guy, but he won't kill you either. Perry...whattaya say? Maybe the light bulb goes off and he starts playing like a 1st. round pick. Or he continues to play with confused, spotty effort. The odds are not in our favor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to bring up a sore subject by any means, but the Julio trade was right after the Packers knocked out the Falcons. I remember thinking at the time that a WR didn't give up 40+ points in the playoffs. I found it a very interesting decision at the time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I saw that you listed OLB if the Packers lose Mike Neal, does that mean that you believe Mike Neal is an adequate pass rusher across from Matthews? Is he significantly better than Perry?

The thing about Perry is that he´s more natural playing on the right side. He won´t get a lot of snaps there of course cause Matthews playing there.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are there any arguments in favor of the trade?

What about Jacquizz Rodgers? I picked him up late on my fantasy team and after watching him early on a few times, I thought I hit a home run. Then he kind of flattened out. He certainly looks the part IMO.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, the Julio trade. That has been a hotly debated topic on the Falcons' board for a couple of years now. Like borderrivals said, it's obvious that Julio is a stud, but 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and a fourth is a lot to give up. Personally, I love the player but hate the trade. I would say Julio is probably a top 5 WR when healthy. The only guys I would definitely put ahead of him are Calvin Johnson and AJ Green. My problem with the trade is that 1) the Falcons gave away WAY too much. Essentially they traded 4 good starters for 1 elite starter. Not worth it in my opinion. This one trade in itself has created a lack of depth on both the offensive and defensive line. 2) The Falcons should have just traded for Calvin if they wanted a premier receiver. Calvin wasn't known as the best WR in football at the time, maybe not even top 5. If Brandon Marshall was traded for 2 seconds, I can't imagine the Lions would have rejected 2 firsts. And that still would have saved 2 second round picks as well as a fourth rounder. So in conclusion, I love Julio but if I were the GM at the time, there's no way I would have made that trade. I hated it then, and I hate it now. I think most Falcons fans would agree with my previous statement, but there are some that think that Julio was worth it.

As for Steven Jackson, I have no problem with the acquisition. I think a good RB can be found in the mid rounds of the draft, but at the time, the team felt that they were one or two pieces away from the Super Bowl, so I can understand the signing. There are some fans that want to release Jackson this offseason, but I think the Falcons have too many other positions to fill in the draft, and Jackson's contract wasn't too expensive. Plus, I think that Jackson still has something left in the tank. It's not his fault that the O-line sucks and gave him no room to run. With an improved O-line next year, I expect him to revert closer to his past production.

Thanks for the explanation. I've always wondered how that turned out. One more question, if you don't mind - what are your thoughts on Ryan? I've always joked that he has the least earned nickname in the NFL. But, I'm curious to hear what a fan thinks of him.

To answer your other questions above, Safety is obviously a need. But TT doesn't really reach in picks too often. So, I think HardRightEdge is probably on to something. I would not be surprised to see DL become the pick, especially if we lose Raji, Pickett, and Jolly. And I think that position will also offer the best value too at our draft spot with Hagemann and Tuitt. I, personally, like the idea of either Irish DL at that spot over reaching on the second best safety, which appears to be a reach at this early juncture.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
QB: Flynn resigns or Tolzien gets a year of QB school. Either way we can deal.

RB: Lacy (bellcow) Harris (COP) Franklin (3rd down) set.

FB: Could use a PUDFA if Kuhn leaves, but could also move Ryan Taylor

WR: Day 3 pick, but could go day 2. Jones is up this offseason everybody else is up 2014.

TE: Fin was the only real receiving threat besides the raw Bostick. Quarless is a great #2, but is also a FA. Taylor might as well be a FB, and Stony is always inactive. Day 2 pick.

T: The best rookie T in the league (Bakhtiari), one of the best young RT in the league(Bulaga), a 1st round pick coming back from injury (Sherrod), and a spot starter at RT/G (Barclay). I'd say we're good, but could see a late round challenger for Sherrod as the backup LT.

G: Starters set, and Barclay/Tretter as depth. Set.

C: EDS goes and we could use another pick here, probably a 4th rounder.

NT: All but 2013 5th round pick Josh Boyd are FA. Need an early pick here.

DE: We have a bunch of UT pass rushers who could play the weak side end. Could use a run stopper, but Jones or Worthy will probably get some 2 gap work in, and Boyd already has. I'd say set if we could get a NT.

OLB: Pure depth. Clay and Perry are both ROLB, and both often hurt. Neal was unspectacular and on his last year, and everyone else came in to the league better players than they ended the year as (and they weren't real talented to begin with)

ILB: Hawk is aging and we have literally nobody to replace him with, Jones has regressed in a big way, and Lattimore is incredibly limited as a player.

CB: Shields is getting tagged. We're set if Tramon isn't released. If Hyde gets moved to S, we might need a Dime CB.

S: It all depends on how you view Burnett, but the entire position as a whole is a HUGE disaster. Our biggest need IMO is a Centerfielder FS. Others argue that we need a punishing SS like 2012 UDFA Sean Richardson, even though we tend to only use those guys in 3 S and goal line sets. CB converts are definitely on the table.

K: Seems fairly set, maybe UDFA competition.

P: Definitely set.

LS: The P keeps this guy in line. Could see some UDFA competition though.

KR: Day 3 or UDFA. Hyde doesn't drop the ball, but he doesn't go anywhere either.

OP
OP
D

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry is a bit better than Neal, but Perry has not stayed healthy at all for 2 years now.
Neal was the same too, but his 3rd year now he just played 16 games (then exited fast in the playoff game).
He didn't look great or even good, but he had some moments. We'll bring him back if he's fair-priced, which is certainly possible because nobody else could possibly have seen anything in him that warranted him being more than a day-3 draft pick originally.

Interesting, so Neal can probably be brought back for close to vet minimum. He is the one that just converted from DE this year right and dropped 30 pounds? I think I'll try and keep him around in my mock for depth since he at least knows the Packers' scheme

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts