Article about A-Rodg

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070824/PKR07/708240692/1947

Mike Vandermause column: Mature, confident Rodgers controls huddle

By Mike Vandermause

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers looks different this year.

For starters, he has grown his hair out during training camp and added a beard and mustache.

When asked Thursday night what look he was going for, Rodgers replied with a smile: "Jesus, Chuck Norris and Tom Selleck. Those three guys, especially."

Rodgers plans to go back to his clean-shaven ways once the regular season starts.

Maybe he should consider keeping the shaggy look all year, based on his preseason performances.

While he hasn't walked on water, Rodgers looked impressive for the third consecutive game on Thursday. Against a highly touted Jacksonville defense that was ranked No. 2 in the NFL last season, Rodgers guided the Packers on a nine-play, 73-yard touchdown march near the end of the second quarter.

Rodgers has worked with the No. 1 offense on just three drives during the preseason, and the Packers have scored touchdowns on two of them.

Rodgers never looked more confident than against the Jaguars' aggressive No. 1 defense. He kept his poise in the pocket, eluded onrushing defenders and found open receivers.

"I'm not going to lie," Rodgers said. "It felt great to be able to move it against that defense. They're a solid defense. It wasn't like they were sitting back. They brought a lot of pressure."

Rodgers proceeded to heap praise on the offensive line and rookies James Jones and Brandon Jackson for making key plays along the way.

But it was Rodgers who spearheaded the attack by completing 5 of 7 passes for 71 yards. He took another step forward in his quest to one day become the heir to Brett Favre's quarterback throne in Green Bay.

"I thought he did a real nice job there in the 2-minute drill," Packers coach Mike McCarthy. "I thought he was very composed, made some really good decisions and was good with the ball."

Besides his changed physical appearance, Rodgers looks different from a confidence standpoint. He has the ability to face a pass rush head on and not blink. He can escape a blitz and have the presence of mind to find an open receiver.

"I feel comfort-wise, that's the most important thing now for me," Rodgers said. "Confidence and comfort within the offense."

Rodgers took a beating in the second half working with the No. 2 offense. He was sacked on each of his three third-quarter drives and the Packers never generated a first down.

"He had some tough sledding in there in the third quarter," McCarthy said. "He had a pass-protection breakdown thing on every single series.

"I was pleased with the way he handled it. I think the game has really slowed down for him. He's in control of the huddle. He's in control of his decisions."

Rodgers finished with a 103.9 passer rating, which almost matched his 105.3 mark in the first two preseason games.

For now, Rodgers will wait for Favre's inevitable retirement and become the Packers' starting quarterback. At least, that's the way General Manager Ted Thompson sees it.

"I've liked him all along," said Thompson, who drafted Rodgers in the first round in 2005. "I liked him when we drafted him. I liked him in his first year. Yeah, he went through some tough times, but … I think he's a young man that's confident, that's smart, that is physically talented, that believes he can play, and he has understood and accepted the role that he's in, even though he still wants to play. I'm proud of the way he carries himself."

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Keep honing your craft young man... your chance will be a comming to prove that you aren't another Pre-season Tarzan.. and not a regular season Jane..

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we can now add Rodgers to the list of Ted Thompson successes...for those who still like to hang the "Rodgers is a bust", or "We still do not know about Rodgers" canard when assessing TT's deftness in the draft. Oh, yeah....can we now also add James Jones to that list.....for those who peed themselves when we did not take Meacham or Bowe?

If people do not have comfort with how Thompson goes about his business after these three drafts, then they will never be pleased.

A lttle off track, but yes....Rodgers looks good.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far and call Rodgers a success. He could still very well be a bust for the Packers. Jacksonville was the first time he saw action against starters and he did pretty good. I'm not ready to crown him but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus either. I feel much better this year than I did last year about him though.

One thing Rodgers said a few years back. When he was drafted the commissioner told him good things come to people who wait. I hope he still takes that advice to heart because he's had a long wait.

Latest posts