Arrington TALKED to Brett

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MS and Randy Wright shared that same squinty "I'm crapping my drawers" expression whenever the heat got turned up....kinda like the face your kid makes when the diapers are soiled.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
MS and Randy Wright shared that same squinty "I'm crapping my drawers" expression whenever the heat got turned up....kinda like the face your kid makes when the diapers are soiled.

LOL!!!!!!!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember reading that Mike Holmgren gave alot of credit to Ted Thompson on drafting those players. You can't seriously blame Ted Thompson for last seasons records. There is no choice but to give him a few years and hope he does ok.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, because he was provided a team with some young depth to develop behind our aging veterans...and to fill the void left by FA defections!!??!!

TT inheireted a team with many decent starters, but which was paper thin. When injuries struck, there really were no decent options at the next level of the roster.

He made big headways in that department alone in one scant year.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
People up in arms, as one posted said..." Ted opens up wallett and moths come out"

So then we have ALMOST a given that GB offered more money to L.A, Brett talking to him and yet he goes elsewhere..

Everything that these anti TT people have said they wanted but yet it is not good enough..

Same hold true for A.V...Seems like the front office did everything right but build a dome for him to pad his stats..

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I remember reading that Mike Holmgren gave alot of credit to Ted Thompson on drafting those players. You can't seriously blame Ted Thompson for last seasons records. There is no choice but to give him a few years and hope he does ok.

To that, I credit Ted Thompson and Scot McCloughan and our coaches and scouts, and they have done a marvelous job putting that board together. It worked out that way, and I want to give them credit for that, too."

http://www.seahawks.com/ardisplay.aspx?SecID=45&ID=4040

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:

i've said it time and time again...it takes a draft class 3-4 years to reach its full potential of impact, and this past year we started coming into that window of opportunity for sherman's "drafts"

2001-Robert Ferguson, David Martin,
2002-Aaron Kampman,
2003- Nick Barnett, Kenny Peterson
2004-Ahmad Carroll, Corey Williams, Joey Thomas (released)
Injured--Walker, Davenport

among the Sherman picks, that is not a lot...so holes are created...so it falls on Ted Thompson to fill these holes...Manuel, Taylor, Pickett...helps for every level on defense, Rod Gardner back on offense, but there's still some more needs...

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont you see tho?? Ted was suppose to not have any drop off last year...He was suppose to be able to forsee all the injuries, make sure he drafted ALL starters, and get FA that would be very good with all the money he had..

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Dont you see tho?? Ted was suppose to not have any drop off last year...He was suppose to be able to forsee all the injuries, make sure he drafted ALL starters, and get FA that would be very good with all the money he had..

Nobody could have forseen this many injuries

Drafting all starters is impossible in a seven round draft. But what Ted did was get a lot of players who have helped the depth of this team.

Trust me, Aaron Rodgers could go down as a very bad pick, I'm wishing we would have used that pick on some defensive help last year.

On the other hand, Nick Collins is loaded with potential, as was Terrence Murphy until his unfortunate injury (and Brady Poppinga until his)...Mike Hawkins, Mike Montgomery...he drafted a starter in Whitticker, who wasnt that great, who could develop into something or couldnt...Sherman left us with such little cap room that he had to find a starter out of the late rounds

and some guy named Gado plucked from absolute nowhere to give us something to be positive about...until got hurt

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Forgot to add sarcastic in my post...LOL

Some people might have thought I was serious :p

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I had 5 seasons, and many blown calls/opportunities/games to make a determination on Sherman. Hell, he gave us 4 - 5 great examples of ineptitude every season...always at the most critical moments, no less.....to make that judgement.

That so called "ineptitude" took over a 8 - 8 club, that was in a FAR worse CAP situation and that LeRoy Butler called the softest team he had ever been associated and parlayed it into quite a few very good seasons -- including a 12 -4 season where the kept filling the holes while losing both OT and more total and significant injuries than last season. I truly believe that squad would have won the Super Bowl had they not been wiped out by injuries leading into the playoffs -- but I have never been big on shoulda, woulda or coulda. He also rallied his troops from the abyss and had them within anyone of several plays of going to the NFC Championship game. Neither of those display "ineptitude."

Besides, you didn't wait to pile on Mike Sherman -- you jumped on that ship quite early. But the point of my post has nothing to do with Mike Sherman -- he is gone, history, simply a part of our Packers rich lore.

digsthepack said:
I do not have that background to pass judgement on TT....other than the winning background he comes from.

Nor do you have the background to "pass judgement" on MS, but that does not stop you. Why the sudden humility?

digsthepack said:
I am quite suprised you did not take that very basic disparity in history, the basis of judgement, into account before making that rather shortsighted comment, Bruce.

I passed no judgements, I simply offered opinions -- which I am far more than qualified to do

digsthepack said:
Sherman was maintaining status quo for his last 3 years...never improving the team..always hoping t add that one piece to put him and his team over the top...and putting the team in tough cap situations along the way. The team was operating to preserve the last decade than building for the future...the slide was postponed and inevitable. Never mind that half of our team was absolutely decimated by injuries last year as well. Yes, you have to play through injuries, but I think you agree that last year was quite an anomoly from the sheer numbers and seriousness of the injuries.

That is ignorant Bull ****! GM are suppose to try and take their teams to the promised land. It is legit to critic Mike Sherman, but the fact remains that they were on quite the downhill slide when Sherman took over and he kept trying to take them to the ultimate goal. It is fair to criticize his decisions, but to ignore his attempts or to compare them unfavorably to sitting with you thumbs up your *** which some could argue Ted Thompson did last season and thus far this off season is a joke. 66 and I tangled in this argument frequently, but at least he had the integrity to try and argue some fact behind his emotional/passionate rants -- here you pick and chose between less than factual assumptions and pretend to speak in an authoritative manner.

digsthepack said:
In either case, talk to me in 3 more years when TT has equal chance as Sherman to prove/disprove his worth.

Sadly, if I speak to you in 3 more years (a total of 4), I fear that TT will just begin to approach the number of wins that the previous GM achieved in his first year and 1/2

Packnic said:
Bruce said:
I don't know many people who were pissing blood at Ron Wolf's moves, including trading for a QB that he and Mike H. agreed was the guy they wanted -- at least not any people who had a clue about the NFL and both of their accomplishments.

we also didnt have message boards this rampant in 1992 when these decisions were made..... im sure plenty of people were questioning ron wolf also.... just no where to voice it like today.

and i seriously cant believe someone is defending mike sherman....

MM is already better in my opinion, he looks and acts like a football coach and is a leader.... MS just looked scared to death all the time

I was not including the mindless rants of those who know less than nothing about the game of football -- I specifically stated that those who knew the accomplishments of Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren prior to that trade happening, knew that they were worthy of trusting and believed that they knew what they were doing. Further, those who knew of Brett's ability displayed in college knew that this kid had a rocket arm and was tougher than nails. Granted, there are plenty of folks who don't know better but that was not my comment.

I am not defending Mike Sherman, our EX-coach and GM -- he does not need defending, his record speaks for itself. My post was not about Mike Sherman, he is history. It was about the contradiction of those who feel free to denigrate the legacy of an ex-coach before and after his tenure, while adamantly denying the right to evaluate the current GM's performance.

Your final statement is just plain ignorant. How many successful teams has MM been associated with? How successful was in he in GB when he worked with Favre and he had his worst season on record save last year (when he was playing with arena and NFL-E quality talent surrounding him)? Do you remember that Holmgren led SF's #1 in the league offense to a couple of Super Bowl rings, while M.M. led SF to the worst offense in the league and contention for the top pick in the draft for the 2nd year in a row. Yeah, looks are what it all about. Never mind the success of people like Joe Paterno, Gibbs, Holtz, chuckie... -- it is all about the looks. And you want me to take you seriously?

digsthepack said:

Randy Wright was a football player. I never thought he deserved to be a NFL starting QB, but he had the heart to not only make it there, but to go out with inferior talent every Sunday and put it all on the line. Again, with your hypocrisy about who it is OK to ignorantly criticize and who is "untouchable." Classic drivel from someone who hasn't a clue about what it takes to play in the NFL

SuperRat said:

You will have a hard time producing those quotes, regardless I already gave Ted Thompson props as a college talent evaluator -- he has earned it.

Further, I am not blaming anyone. Rather, I am assessing performance as it unfolds.

I want Ted Thompson to succeed, and he very well might, but I do not need to sit on the sidelines and ignore the body of evidence that has been and continues to be developed. I agree that he deserves his shot at success now that he has been hired -- I have never called for his dismissal, nor have I wished him anything but success. But to act as if he had no part in last season's slide would be as ignorant as making him the scapegoat and leveling all of the blame on him. Don't you agree?

longtimefan said:
People up in arms, as one posted said..." Ted opens up wallett and moths come out"

So then we have ALMOST a given that GB offered more money to L.A, Brett talking to him and yet he goes elsewhere..

Everything that these anti TT people have said they wanted but yet it is not good enough..

Same hold true for A.V...Seems like the front office did everything right but build a dome for him to pad his stats..

Why is that a given? Miami and Jacksonville got far more talk from LA than GB in his initial interviews. Further, if GB was offering more money (remember the article says his agent said a team was offering slightly more money than New York) that does not speak well to Ted Thompson's performance as GM. As GM it is his job to sell his squad and instill confidence that he can take FA to the promised land -- something you seem to be saying he continues to fail at doing!

Well nice chatting with all of you. This is a week that I want to spend my energy being positive and concentrating on the draft. The Packers are picking at the top of the board (at least for now) in each of the 1st day rounds. I am looking forward to what TT and the front office do with these opportunities. Here is hoping that he parlays them into some solid players who help to return this franchise back where it belongs.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, Bruce...someone strike a chord with you. I am so glad to learn that you are infinitely more qualified to have an opinion on pro football that all of us mere mortals...who see things perhaps differently than you.

Your modesty in claiming your vast superiority is...well, humbling. That you choose to judge two men, one with a documented 5 year history of performance to a guy who has had one season to prove himself, equally is ..well, simple. Sherman had some nice qualities, but his weaknesses were killers. Clearly, he could rally the troops...but he also put them into position to have to rally to begin with. Never possessed the "killers instinct" for lack of a better term.

But then again...why should I, or for that matter, any fan who might disagree with you, choose to have the debate...given your self-proclaimed vast superiority in all things football.

Gosh...it must be lonely being as wonderful, intelligent, irrefuteable, and just damn knowledgeable as you, Bruce.

And again, your modesty in declaring your vast superiority is truly...well...startling.

You are awesome, man!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am curious, Bruce...back when you were dating, did you also tell your prospective paramours that you drove a *****in' car and had a sweet job that paid alot on your first dates?

It would be a trend on which we can pin blame for your recent case of "I love myself" sickness....which has been complicated buy the equally distasteful "you are all morons" disease.

Dear God...having re-read your post, I am inclined to believe that "awesome" does not do you justice as a descriptive....you are a Demi-God....if I may be so bold. Hope this does not conflict with your personal religious beliefs as most allow for but one diety.

Thank you for the chuckle.....the board was getting a little testy..all these darn opinions and such!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i personally dont give a ***** if you take me seriously....in fact i dont want you to take me seriously....

anyone who gets that worked up over a freakin message board...has serious anger issues.

however... the mm is better than ms comment was a joke, i just thought ms was soft and looked befuddled..and of course mm has to prove him self.... but im ignorant you of course know exactly what he was

YOU ARE AWESOME BRUCE!....

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Geez, Bruce...someone strike a chord with you. I am so glad to learn that you are infinitely more qualified to have an opinion on pro football that all of us mere mortals...who see things perhaps differently than you.

Your modesty in claiming your vast superiority is...well, humbling. That you choose to judge two men, one with a documented 5 year history of performance to a guy who has had one season to prove himself, equally is ..well, simple. Sherman had some nice qualities, but his weaknesses were killers. Clearly, he could rally the troops...but he also put them into position to have to rally to begin with. Never possessed the "killers instinct" for lack of a better term.

But then again...why should I, or for that matter, any fan who might disagree with you, choose to have the debate...given your self-proclaimed vast superiority in all things football.

Gosh...it must be lonely being as wonderful, intelligent, irrefuteable, and just damn knowledgeable as you, Bruce.

And again, your modesty in declaring your vast superiority is truly...well...startling.

You are awesome, man!!

Very true Digs.........some see anyone that disagrees with them as idiots. In something like this, you can't say either is provably right. Yes, the Packers did have some good won-lost records under Sherman, but i, as you, saw it more in spite of Sherman's coaching then because of it. I agree with you........when it was a time to make a great call, Sherman just didn't seem to have a clue. I think if they would have had a GREAT coach, they would have gone to at LEAST one Super Bowl during his tenure.
I also see TT as needing to be given a CHANCE before we throw him to the wolves. Lets see what he can do before giving up on him.

And as far as Arrington, he said he wanted to play where he could play against his old team twice a year. I think THAT played into it alot too!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic..."You are awesome, Bruce" would make a nice sign off.

Something to consider.

No ****...getting that worked up over a damn football forum........I appreciate all opinions...some I agree with and some I do not. I am happy to challenge the point, but with few exceptions, I will not challenge the person's character, integrity or, more recently, their "Fandom" just because we disagree. Butthen again...I do not have the inherent superiority necessaryto pass such judgement, like Bruce.

Defending/excusing MS is like ****** apparently...it never goes away!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nope nope nope cheesy that just makes too much sense

BRUCE IS RIGHT ...

they were only kidding bruce dont go off on em.... next time they will acknowledge your superiority.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
nope nope nope cheesy that just makes too much sense

BRUCE IS RIGHT ...

they were only kidding bruce dont go off on em.... next time they will acknowledge your superiority.

Pacnic.......do i note just a BIT of sarcasm in your post??? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone keeps saying, give TT more time before you judge him. I can judge him all I want, this is the internet, a forum for speculation and opinions.

If he turns this team into a highly competitive squad, I will be the first to sing his praises and admit my errors. However, for the time being I believe that I have the right to disapprove of what he has done so far and that is what I will do.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back on topic, another thing that irks me about this situation is why did it take Lavar going to NY to make a major push to sign him? Why didn't we hit him with our big guns from the start and prevent him from going back to NY to take the physical. Just food for thought.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying MS was a great coach is like saying Daunte Culpepper was a great QB. Both put up monster stats but melted under the pressure of the big game/moment.

Personally, I will take a guy like Tom Brady or John Fox...maybe not the stat monsters of some of their peers, but they are money in the bank when it matters.

Bruce...for two years MS had one of the best offenses in the league..and yet knowing the defense sucked, he never really turned the offense loose to make up for the KNOWN DEFICIENCIES on defense.

MS makes a concerted effort to turn the team into a power run offense, yet employed an "air it out" mentality OC...who forgot for several seasons that he actually had TEs. And ignored the fact that #4 throws more accurately with increased velocity...even at 30 - 40 yards. But ol' MS/TR like the jump ball...call it constantly, and play directly to Brett's weaknesses. He does not throw a pretty long ball of the arching rainbow variety....he does throw a pretty long ball when allowed to fire it on a line...something they apparently did not feel comfy allowing him to do...otherwise they would have.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I am curious, Bruce...back when you were dating, did you also tell your prospective paramours that you drove a *****in' car and had a sweet job that paid alot on your first dates?

It would be a trend on which we can pin blame for your recent case of "I love myself" sickness....which has been complicated buy the equally distasteful "you are all morons" disease.

Dear God...having re-read your post, I am inclined to believe that "awesome" does not do you justice as a descriptive....you are a Demi-God....if I may be so bold. Hope this does not conflict with your personal religious beliefs as most allow for but one diety.

Thank you for the chuckle.....the board was getting a little testy..all these darn opinions and such!

Nice distortion since what I wrote was:

"I passed no judgements, I simply offered opinions -- which I am far more than qualified to do."

Where exactly in there does it say that I am superior or that others are not entitled to their opinions? I responded to comments in a football forum and ended it by writing:

Further, I am not blaming anyone. Rather, I am assessing performance as it unfolds.

I want Ted Thompson to succeed, and he very well might, but I do not need to sit on the sidelines and ignore the body of evidence that has been and continues to be developed. I agree that he deserves his shot at success now that he has been hired -- I have never called for his dismissal, nor have I wished him anything but success. But to act as if he had no part in last season's slide would be as ignorant as making him the scapegoat and leveling all of the blame on him. Don't you agree?

Well nice chatting with all of you. This is a week that I want to spend my energy being positive and concentrating on the draft. The Packers are picking at the top of the board (at least for now) in each of the 1st day rounds. I am looking forward to what TT and the front office do with these opportunities. Here is hoping that he parlays them into some solid players who help to return this franchise back where it belongs.

How that is me being worked up or denying anyone else their opinion is beyond me.

This is still a football forum rather than a support group for Ted Thompson groupies isn' it?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
i personally dont give a ***** if you take me seriously....in fact i dont want you to take me seriously....

anyone who gets that worked up over a freakin message board...has serious anger issues.

however... the mm is better than ms comment was a joke, i just thought ms was soft and looked befuddled..and of course mm has to prove him self.... but im ignorant you of course know exactly what he was

YOU ARE AWESOME BRUCE!....

You are the guy who seems worked up. You wrote that "and i seriously cant believe someone is defending mike sherman...." to which I responded by answering your post. It is you who introduced the taking seriously, I am sorry you were offended by my response.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your steadfast refusal to allow for other opinions in this dialogue speak to a serious superiority complex. You know, if you wish to go back through the years, I provided more than ample reasons, things that actually occured on the field (or that did not occur), Bruce, for why I did not think MS was the right guy to lead the team. Choose to disagree, Bruce...but let's not climb down people's throats just because you disagree...or because a sentiment you do not agree with gets a little too much play for your liking on the forum.

Go back and read your post and tell me you aren't climbing down people's throats.

I admire your passion, but come on...you are acting like I disparaged your family or something...and no...the Packers are NOT your family.

Members online

Latest posts