Arrigo's Packers Mock v.18.0

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrigo's Mock Drafts

Arrigo's Packers Mock Draft v.18.0

In this mock, v.18.0, I am going a little different. I am going with what I have gotten from some of my scouting friends (which I put in the latest O.T.S. on Sunday, March 21st). I am also going to add some scouting notes of my own for each draft pick.

I have the Packers dealing back with San Diego in round 1 and receiving the Chargers 3rd round selection in 2010. I also am taking a trade idea from another site which has Darryn Colledge getting dealt to Denver for a 3rd round pick and a conditional 2011 pick.

Finally, I have the Packers getting a 5th round comp pick for Colin Cole.

So here is my latest Packers mock draft version 18.0, ENJOY!

Round 1 (#23): Traded to Chargers for pick #26 and the Chargers 3rd round pick in 2010.

Round 1 (#26): Devin McCourty-CB/KR-Rutgers: Reads the WR's body language well. Jumps routes quickly and reads the QB well. Doesn't bite on double moves. Has fluid hips, stays low and transitions nicely. Can press effectively and should get better at it with proper coaching. Right now better in zone coverage. Has good awareness in zone with one eye on short WR and any other on hitting hole behind him. Great reactions while ball is in air and quickly will come off man to go after ball. A willing tackler, strong at point of attack and will stand his man up and force the play inside. Baits QB well and closes quickly. Good plant and drive with body control. Doesn't have elite speed, but takes excellent angles to the WR. Loves the game, very reliable and is a student of the game. His twin brother plays for the Titans. Excellent return man and will help there from the jump. Averaged 25.1 yards per return with a TD in 2009 and added 7 blocked kicks for his career.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Round 2: Morgan Burnett-S-Georgia Tech: Quick with extremely active hands to fight for ball. Highly instinctive with great ball skills. Real fast out of his breaks and shows a late burst to close. 14 career picks in 2 years as a starter. Locates ball quickly and competes for it. Has a knack to "high point" the ball and shows great body control with strong hands. A tough kid that is more than willing and very active in run support. Always seems to be around the ball on tape. Kind of reminds me of LeRoy Butler, the former All Pro safety for the Packers.

Round 3 ( A ): Dexter McCluster-RB/WR/KR-Ole Miss: Great lateral agility to elude defenders at the line of scrimmage and has the straight line speed to demand opposing teams respect. Elusive and has the acceleration and top-end speed to run away from defenders. Great vision and sets up blockers well. Patient runner that can burst through any whole. he will be a match-up problem when coming out the backfield. Great hands as a receiver and plunks ball from the air and can get to balls that seem outside his frame. Strong for a little guy and a willing blocker. He has great effort and a pesky blocker. Tough competitor with great instincts. A football player and high character guy. Will be a play-maker on someone's offense and special teams.

Round 3 ( B ): Austin Lane-OLB-Murray St.: Quicker off the snap than expected. Has a late burst and acceleration. Has decent rush moves (spin inside and outside as a secondary move). Quick enough to beat the tackle outside while sealing the edge against the run. Good leg drive and has long arms which could lead to a "bull rush" move down the road. Good height (6'6) and athleticism. Nice fit in a 3-4.

Round 3 ( C ): Jared Veldheer-OT-Hillsdale: Tall, long raw guy. Sets feet quickly and has really good lateral movement to meet defenders lined up wide. Plays with a wide base and has a strong punch. Keeps his arms extended and grip strong on smaller players. Takes the quick ends around the corner and sustains to prevent "hustle sacks". Needs to improve his balance. Not a finesse run blocker and will explode on defender. Level of competition was low, so will need a year or two to develop.

Round 4: Akwasi Owusu-Ansah-CB/KR-Indiana (Pa): Big, strong, quick kid. A hard worker. Has the prototypical size that NFL teams love in a press corner. Has long arms and outstanding vision. High points the ball well and makes plays. Has smooth back pedal, stays low and good hip flexibility. Excellent hands. Great range and always seems to be around the ball. Tough kid who played through a shoulder injury at the end of the year. A willing tackler, but not over physical. Can also return kicks and punts.

Round 5 ( A ): C.J. Wilson-DE-ECU: Good size (6'3, 284) and versatile. Can pressure the QB and is stout vs the run. Has active hands and really good upper body strength. Quick off the line and is a high effort guy that has a motor that doesn't stop. Sure tackler with good change-of-direction. Needs to work on getting off blocks.

Round 5 ( Comp ): O'Brien Schofield-OLB-Wisconsin: Tore his ACL at Senior Bowl after a great week at the Shrine game. He will miss most of the 2010 season. Great nose for the ball and a really nice pass rusher. Plays faster than timed speed (4.63) and has a great football IQ. The kid loves the game. Hard worker and a team guy. Good awareness and gets his hands up to deflect balls at line of scrimmage. Needs to work on pass coverage, but showed he can do it at Shrine game with enough speed to make conversion from DE to OLB in 3/4. Aggressive, high motor, high character guy.

Round 6: John Skelton-QB-Fordham: Big kid (6'5, 245) with a cannon for an arm. Decent accuracy and gives the WR's a chance to make a play on ball. Ball gets from the hash to the opponents sideline in a hurry when he steps into a throw. Raw prospect who needs to be brought along slowly. Decent mobility and is surprisingly accurate on the run. Needs to be more of a leader, but from a physical standpoint, this kid passes the eye test.

Round 7: Naaman Roosevelt-WR-Buffalo: Good size (6'0/190) and decent speed. Plays faster than times speed and has a great feel for the game. He won't blow by you, but can get deep. Nice hands and leaping ability. Knows how to play in the elements after growing up in Buffalo. A natural WR that can be a solid possession guy. The slot seems like the best place for him right now. Nice flexibility and has a nice drive out of his breaks.

Undrafted Rookie free Agents:

Joe Pawelek-ILB-Baylor

Mike Newton-FS-Buffalo

Kevin Matthews-C-Texas A&M

Kelton Tindal-WR-Newberry

Matt Nichols-QB-Eastern Washington

Riar Greer-TE-Colorado

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could certainly live with that draft. If anything our special teams will be SOO much more dynamic with all those special teams players.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this draft, but I just can't see the possibility of passing up on a 1st round OT.

I wouldn't criticize, but IMHO it's not the best approach, considering Clifton is in his last legs, and that this way we'll probably throw a rookie under the fire in 2011. Veldheer seems too much of a project to be able to perform at a high level as soon as 2011, but I could be wrong.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you nailed it...I have heard some good things about the OT from Hillsdale. This might be my favorite mock draft that I have seen.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would San Diego trade a 3rd rounder to us to just move up 5 slots? Seems like that wouldn't happen. Like the picks though.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I approve of any mock that has Green Bay taking McCluster. Bonus points for addressing corner and safety early.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the O-line needs depth and starters. Just one lineman in the draft seems a little weak to me, not that I think we should use our first round pick on an OL, but we need more than one.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind that there is always FA rookies that we could sign, including OL. Not to say that we should rely on that but we could bring in 2 FA rookies to at least compete, and hell maybe one of them shows something.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Well I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured Joe's was as good as any to do this... I put together a list based on 10 current mocks I found from various draft sights... I recorded the place every player was selected in every mock and then took the average to compound my list... Not very scientific but something to go off of.

Based on this fly by the seat of my pants analysis, the following is a list of players that have no chance to be available to the Pack at #23...

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Ndomukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama

The following is a list of players that most likely will not be available at #23 although 1 or 2 very well could slide...

C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
Earl Thomas, S, Texas
Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

The following is the group of players most likely to be on board when if GB stays at #23 that would represent a decent value pick...

Sean Witherspoon, OLB, Missouri
Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan
Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
Maurkice Pouncey, OC, Florida
Charles Brown, OT, USC
Taylor Mays, S, USC
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
Brian Price, DT, UCLA
Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
Everson Griffen, DE, USC
Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State

Let me add that I think Bruce Campbell is artificially high because so many mocks have him going #8 to the Raiders. I think Davis is bat **** crazy but I don't know if he is that nuts. If he doesn't go at #8 I think he probably slides well into the second half of round 1. I hope we pass. Unless Spiller, Trent Williams, Iupati or Earl Thomas slides the guy from the group most likely to be available that I hope we take is Brandon Graham or Kyle Wilson. Sergio Kindle or Ryan Mathews would be interesting picks too.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I didn't want to start a new thread so I figured Joe's was as good as any to do this... I put together a list based on 10 current mocks I found from various draft sights... I recorded the place every player was selected in every mock and then took the average to compound my list... Not very scientific but something to go off of.

Based on this fly by the seat of my pants analysis, the following is a list of players that have no chance to be available to the Pack at #23...

Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Ndomukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
Joe Haden, CB, Florida
Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama

The following is a list of players that most likely will not be available at #23 although 1 or 2 very well could slide...

C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
Earl Thomas, S, Texas
Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

The following is the group of players most likely to be on board when if GB stays at #23 that would represent a decent value pick...

Sean Witherspoon, OLB, Missouri
Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan
Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
Maurkice Pouncey, OC, Florida
Charles Brown, OT, USC
Taylor Mays, S, USC
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
Brian Price, DT, UCLA
Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
Everson Griffen, DE, USC
Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State

Let me add that I think Bruce Campbell is artificially high because so many mocks have him going #8 to the Raiders. I think Davis is bat **** crazy but I don't know if he is that nuts. If he doesn't go at #8 I think he probably slides well into the second half of round 1. I hope we pass. Unless Spiller, Trent Williams, Iupati or Earl Thomas slides the guy from the group most likely to be available that I hope we take is Brandon Graham or Kyle Wilson. Sergio Kindle or Ryan Mathews would be interesting picks too.
You don't think Davis is that nuts???

------

Not to mention Michael Mitchel in the 2nd round... Who'd probably be available at the 5th round if they wanted him... But he did ran a 4.39 at his pro day...

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I like all your picks except 4, 6,and 7, while your draft looks like something TT might do, I really hope we dont take a QB or a WR with a pick, Grab one off waivers. I'd like to see another O-line at 4 maybe Marshall Newhouse out of TCU, and then use the 6&7 picks on more Dline and DB depth.(or maybe a kicker who can kick straight)

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it looks like McCourty and Brown will slip to the top of the second round, which there is a good chance they will, then we should try and trade our 23rd and 56th picks with Tampa for their 35th and 42nd picks. It might work. I don't see them dropping to 56.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it looks like McCourty and Brown will slip to the top of the second round, which there is a good chance they will, then we should try and trade our 23rd and 56th picks with Tampa for their 35th and 42nd picks. It might work. I don't see them dropping to 56.
That would be a great trade. I don't know about the values, though. It'd require some player that the bucs are really aiming to fall to the 23rd for them to move up IMHO.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this draft although I highly doubt McCluster will be there in the 3rd round.

Members online

Latest posts