Arrigo NFL Mock Draft

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(From my latest blog on the averagejoeshow.wordpress.com)

As a lot of you may know, I am a "draftnik" in every sense of the word. Joe Pacheco (my co-host on The Average Joe Show) doesn't get it and he nicknamed me "Mel Kiper's Evil Step-Nephew" years ago. I even watch the NBA, MLB, national signing day and yes, even the NHL draft. But there is something about the scouting and evaluation of players that you follow for 3 years and their transition to the professional (or college) sports world, I just get entranced with it.

Every year I do multiple NFL mocks but this year I decided to just do one mock. The reason is I wanted to take more time to evaluate players, research backgrounds and try to think like a NFL GM. I admit, I know I will hit on two picks, the first two picks of the draft, as will everyone else, but I will gamble on others, select players that I think will best an NFL team and their needs.

So, without further adieu, here is my 2012 NFL Mock Draft!

Mock Draft Round 1

1. Colts– Andrew Luck- QB- Stanford: The Colts will take Luck to replace Peyton Manning. While Luck is looked upon as sure fire bono-fide NFL star, I think that he has a great skill set but checks down to much for my liking.

2. Redskins -Robert Griffin III- QB- Baylor: Griffin III is the complete package on the field and off of it. He has a rifle for an arm, great accuracy, is mobile and is a natural leader. I think he has more upside then Luck and have said it since September.

3. Vikings – Justin Blackmon- WR- Oklahoma St: The Vikings need an offensive tackle, but also also need to have a a big WR to complement Percy Harvin. Blackmon has nice size, is a big play receiver who runs well after the catch, even though I question his speed at the NFL level.

4. Browns – Trent Richardson- RB- Alabama: The Browns need to give Colt McCoy some help and Richardson would provide just that. He can do it all, doesn't fumble and would be perfect in the cold Cleveland winter pounding the rock.

5. Bucs -Morris Claiborne- CB- LSU: Rhonde Barber is old, Aquib Talib is a talent but can't be trusted off the field and the Bucs defense needs a corner back who can stop opponents receivers. Claiborne has good size and has the potential to be a lock-down corner.

6. Rams – Matt Kalil- OT- USC: The Rams love Kalil and he'd fill a huge need for them. When they traded out of the #2 spot they hoped that Kalil would slip, and in my mock he does. He is the prototypical tackle that should be an All Pro soon.

7. Jags – Melvin Ingram- DE- South Carolina: The Jags need to upgrade their pass rush and Ingram is a beast and the safer pick between he and Quinton Coples.

8. Dolphins – Ryan Tannehill- QB- Texas A&M: The Dolphins were rebuffed by Manning, didn't show enough interest in Matt Flynn and have the reputation that they are about "flash and not football". Tannehill would be reunited with his former college head coach, Miami OC Mike Sherman, and would most likely start week 1.

9. Panthers – Quinton Coples- DE- North Carolina: The Panther struck gold when they selected Julius Peppers and hope to do the same with the ultra-talented but enigmatic Coples.

10. Bills – Riley Reiff- OT- Iowa: The Bills had a tough time for the past couple years keeping their QB's upright, Reiff is a technician and would be an instant upgrade for the Bills.

11. Chiefs – David DeCastro- G- Stanford: The Chiefs have a nice group of running backs and receivers but need to keep Cassel upright and someone to open holes for Jamaal Charles and Peyton Hillis.

12. Seahawks – Luke Kuechly- MLB- Boston College: I think Kuechly is one of the best inside linebackers to come out in a long time. He can do it all and may be the best coverage linebacker to come out in 15 or more years.

13. Cardinals – Jonathan Martin- OT- Stanford: The Cardinals need to keep Kolb protected so he can get the ball to Larry Fitzgerald, Martin would be a nice piece of the puzzle to make that happen.

14. Cowboys – Donteri Poe- DT- Memphis: The Cowboys need to add depth and another starter to their defensive line, and I hear they, rather Jerry Jones loves Poe and will select him should he be available.

15. Eagles – Michael Brockers- DT- LSU: The Eagles could use another tackle in their rotation and Brockers fits what Andy Reid wants to do on defense.

16. Jets – Michael Floyd- WR- Notre Dame: The Jets need to give Mark Sanchez some help on the outside, and Floyd would provide that. He can grow with Sanchez as a receiver and is a willing blocker which would help the Jets running attack.

17. Bengals – Stephen Gilmore- CB- South Carolina: The Bengals lost Leon Hall to injury last year and Nate Clements played solid, but with the Steelers WR corps, the Bengals could use some secondary depth and a future starter.

18. Chargers – Cordy Glenn- OT- Georgia: The Chargers need to find a young tackle to replace Marcus McNeil, Glenn would do just that.

19. Bears – Mike Adams- OT- Ohio St: The Bears need to upgrade their offensive line. Cutler needs time to throw to newly acquired Brandon Marshall. With last years 1st round pick at RT, the Bears have bookends for the future.

20. Titans – Fletcher Cox- DE- Mississippi St: The Titans need some help in the secondary, but can add a corner later. Cox is a high character, non-stop motor guy that would make the Titans very happy on and off the field.

21 .Bengals – Kendall Wright- WR- Baylor: AJ Green and Andy Dalton were a nice 1-2 punch, but Wright would give the Bengals a great receiving duo and give their opponents something to think about for the next few years.

22. Browns – Stephen Hill- WR- Georgia Tech: The Browns need help at receiver and Hill would be the guy that can stretch the field for the Browns while Greg Little runs underneath. Hill also is a very nice run blocker since he played at GT.

23. Lions – Dre Kirkpatrick- CB- Alabama: The Lions have to deal with the Packers receiving corp, Percy Harvin, Brandon Marshall, Devin Hester and are thin in the secondary. Kirkpatrick makes perfect sense here.

24. Steelers – Dontè Hightower: When the Steelers cut James Farrior they had themselves a big hole at an ILB spot. Hightower is a thumper who fits the Steelers defense perfectly.

25. Broncos – Jerel Worthy- DT- Michigan St: The Broncos won on strength of their defense last year, and now with Peyton Manning controlling the offense, the defense will be key to get Manning on the field.

26. Texans – Kolby Fleener- TE- Stanford: The Texans want to add to their offense and Fleener has shot up draft boards in recent weeks.

27. Patriots – Marc Barron- S- Alabama: There is a lot of chatter that the Patriots want Barron even with more pressing needs on their defense.

28. Packers – Courtney Upshaw- OLB- Alabama: The Packers need help opposite of Clay Matthews III and while Upshaw has not had great combine numbers, when you watch film all he does is make plays.

29. Ravens -Harrison Smith- S- Notre Dame: The Ravens need to prepare for life after Ed Reed and Smith would be a nice option to have.

30. 49ers – Chandler Jones- DE- Syracuse: The 49ers added a lot of pieces on the offensive side, so Jones would provide a solid player on an already very good 49ers defense.

31. Patriots – Nick Perry- OLB- USC: The Patriots could use a boost in their pass rushing attack and Perry would provide that. If they ask him to cover they could be in trouble, but Perry can rush the QB with the anyone in this draft class.

32 .Giants – Doug Martin- RB- Boise St: With Brandon Jacobs cut, Ahmad Bradshaw having injury issues, Martin would give the Super Bowl champion Giants depth and a back that could carry the load if asked.

Follow me on:
Blog: theaveragejoeshow.wordpress.com

Twitter: @joearrigo AND @theavgjoeshow

Facebook: TheAverage Joe Show

Email: [email protected]

Pod-Cast: blogtalkradio.com/the-average-joe-show

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
It's funny that you call yourself a draftnik and then go on to announce the third pick as "Robert Blackmon". It's not a big deal, it just made me laugh. This is the first draft in a while I have seen without the Vikings taking Kalil. I agree with a lot of the picks and I would do a backflip if the Packers got Upshaw at 28. Nick mock.

OP
OP
Arrigo

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HA! I know, I just caught that. I posted the mock when I was tired last night. I would've waited but I needed something up for the blog site today.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I thought you said 8.0 was the last one before the draft? :cool:

Personally I think the dolphins will trade down if they plan to grab Tannehill, but then again I said the same thing about Gabbert and Ponder. We may even be able to trade up for Barron fairly cheap

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Upshaw is an absolute beast. The guy is 277 lbs. of rock. He'll be a solid player in any system.
You know what they say about rocks. Not the fastest, but they're solid. College play doesn't always translate into pro play, as we have seen many times. Upshaw should be stable though.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what they say about rocks. Not the fastest, but they're solid. College play doesn't always translate into pro play, as we have seen many times. Upshaw should be stable though.

I agree that a great college player won't always translate into a great NFL player, but this guy looks legit. He passes the eye test and looks good on film. The issue with Upshaw is that he might be too big to play 3-4 OLB, but too small to hold up as a 4-3 DE. The same was said about Lamarr Woodley. At #28, Upshaw isn't a risk.

OP
OP
Arrigo

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought you said 8.0 was the last one before the draft? :cool:

Personally I think the dolphins will trade down if they plan to grab Tannehill, but then again I said the same thing about Gabbert and Ponder. We may even be able to trade up for Barron fairly cheap

It was for the Packers...even though I read about 25 different private messages a day asking for more!! LOL!

I had to do 1 NFL Mock hence this one for the blog site! ;)

Members online

Latest posts