Armchair TT: Propose your trade to improve the team...

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the premise. You get to be TT for a day, and you have the greenlight to make a trade to bolster the team to take advantage of ARod's prime years and win it all. Who you trading FROM our team, and who you trading FOR?

OP
OP
paulska

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my proposition. We're not stopping anyone in the passing game. Charles Woodson is no longer a sure bet to lock down anyone- sure, he'll make a big play here are there, but he's also a passing foul machine, and he no longer has the recovery speed/tools to make up for gambling.

Tramon hasn't been the same since our SB run, and he just looks passive even though he says physically he's at his best.

Sam Shields came on really strong for us late in the season, and I think that between Casey Hayward and Davon House that we have very good depth in the nickel and dime, far better off than when we had to play Jarrett Bush in significant packages.

Here's my play. I cut Woodson. His big salary is not yielding good return. That's a lot of cheddar I now have to work with.

And I trade Tramon, who is one of our larger salaries, and a young player with potential to return to top form, and whose contract is not an albatross in terms of year to year salary nor total length.

To the Jets, with three second round picks, the middle pick of the deal a conditional first. For Darrel Revis. That conditional middle pick? If we resign Revis, it's a 1.

Tramon's salary means my trade for Revis next season is a net draw, or close. Woodson's money lets me redirect some to ARod, or to renegotiate Revis deal and make his salary larger for next season, sort of like what TT did in the first year of Woodson's deal when he brought him to GB.

My thinking? Shields and Revis give me aggressive cover corners. Yes, Revis, is going to demand big money over the longer term, but so did Woodson, and his chance of scenery revitalized his career and cemented him as a Hall of Famer. Playing in Green Bay means Revis not only gets paid, but he gets love that no other market can provide, and he's a man who wants to play his heart out every week.

This move/moves mean that the young talent in our secondary now has space to breathe and grow- safety is not confused by Woodson's presence, and I'm not tempted to take reps from Hayward or House in sub packages, and I'm getting the opportunity to maximize Shields' talent because there are too many recent examples of players coming back off bad knees (Welker, Peterson) who return to dominate, and to me, Revis is a singular talent at CB with the ability to take away half the field for 6 years. That's what Tramon gave us the year we won it all, and I'm banking that the chops we showed in pass rush this past season continue forward...

Let the debate begin...

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Work out a deal with the Carolina Panthers for Greg Jennings. The Panthers have an extra third round pick from Chicago. Would they refuse a shot at Jennings for a their second round pick since they have two third round picks? I know this is a stretch, but the Panthers need a WR and TT loves picks.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who you trading FROM our team, and who you trading FOR?
I would trade Clay Matthews for a 12-pack of Schlitz and a couple sticks of beef jerky. That would effectively end my run as GM of the Packers, but I'd still have the beer and jerky

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Work out a deal with the Carolina Panthers for Greg Jennings. The Panthers have an extra third round pick from Chicago. Would they refuse a shot at Jennings for a their second round pick since they have two third round picks? I know this is a stretch, but the Panthers need a WR and TT loves picks.

Trading players who are free agents just doesn't happen.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would trade T.J Lang, James Starks & Tramon Williams for Earl Thomas FS from Seattle.

Would Seattle probably ever do this? No. But it sounded nice in my head.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk for Patrick Willis + Justin Smith + 1st

So am I the best GM here? My trade improves the Packers the most.

H

HardRightEdge

Are there any teams switching from 3-4 to 4-3? Looks like the Cowboys are going that route. I'd start there; they might have bad fits to trade for our bad fits. Nothing blockbuster; just an upgrade or two.

Reaction score
I know it's highly uncommon. The Packers did it before with Corey Williams. I would just like to control where Jennings goes so that it's not Chicago, Detroit or Minnesota.
Why would the team trade for Jennings in the first place.... Even if we traded him he'd still be able to go back into the division it is his choice where he wants to go.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the team trade for Jennings in the first place.... Even if we traded him he'd still be able to go back into the division it is his choice where he wants to go.

A team would trade for Jennings so that they wouldn't have to compete for him in free agency.

Yes, he'd be able to get back into the division, but not for a full season if he was traded out of the division. And this only happens if a team agrees to trade for him without first agreeing to a contract.

Reaction score
H
A team would trade for Jennings so that they wouldn't have to compete for him in free agency.

Yes, he'd be able to get back into the division, but not for a full season if he was traded out of the division. And this only happens if a team agrees to trade for him without first agreeing to a contract.
It would have to be a trade and sign for that to happen. That doesn't happen often. Otherwise you are trading for a contract that is voiding

Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Not to butt in ... well OK butting in: The only way a trade could happen with a player whose contract is expiring at the end of the 2012-2013 season is a tag and trade. We are still in that season according to the NFL and of course the trade deadline passed long ago. As of the first day of the new NFL year, players like Jennings will be UFAs (unless tagged) and can't be traded.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to butt in ... well OK butting in: The only way a trade could happen with a player whose contract is expiring at the end of the 2012-2013 season is a tag and trade. We are still in that season according to the NFL and of course the trade deadline passed long ago. As of the first day of the new NFL year, players like Jennings will be UFAs (unless tagged) and can't be traded.

I thought this was a hypothetical trade thread?

Members online