Are we getting healthy?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhh?? anyone heard about Randall Cobb? is he ever going to play again?? This type of injury usually takes about two months to heal and he's been gone for about that amount of time. We could sure use him as he makes the offense more dangerous and Jordy can go back to the outside where he is far more dangerous. I see the defense making Romo look all world so it would be nice to see all our weapons next week as we may have to score over 30 to beat Dallas.

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His injury might be more than they let on, who knows.
It was the type of cheap shot that took out Gronkowski yesterday.

Receiver running a seem route, catching and blindly turning, totally defenseless.
Safety could drill em in the head, the chest, the waist, or just go low into the thinner knees and not hurt ones self, but possibly break legs or ACLs.

I cringe EVERY TIME I see ANY receiver, TE, running these seem routes now with a safety lurking behind.... coming up.... they can launch low into the knee whenever they want if they want, and break knees.

I saw Charles Woodson for Oakland 2 weeks ago have this chance against Dallas on Thanksgiving.... and he kept his head up, and simply TACKLED the guy.
Why can't they reward that, and penalize, suspend the cheap low hits on defenseless receivers just like they do on head shots on defenesless receivers?

I know the answer, LAWSUITS.

I hope Cobb is back soon.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Cobb has been a huge missing piece on offense, particularly for the backup QBs - he would have made for a great safety valve for them on intermediate routes. This is the first week he's eligible to come off of IR/Designated for Return so my guess is we'll find out about him on Wednesday (whether he practices or not). Last I read anything about him was about three weeks ago and he was evasive about his injury. He and McCarthy both just said, 'he's getting better'.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw Charles Woodson for Oakland 2 weeks ago have this chance against Dallas on Thanksgiving.... and he kept his head up, and simply TACKLED the guy.
Why can't they reward that, and penalize, suspend the cheap low hits on defenseless receivers just like they do on head shots on defenesless receivers?
You bring up a good idea.
The NFL should reward players for doing it right.
They could offer to give year end bonuses divided up from the fines collected to all the defensive players that didn't get any fines. They can afford to do that.
A 15 yard penalty after a dirty hit is meaningless if the defense manages to stop the team from scoring or winning.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is Seneca's groin injury? It should be getting better.
I think he's rehabbing with Jonathan Franklin.
We could use Franklins ability out there like we saw in Cincy. A great change of pace from the bruising work Lacy does, and a mismatch outta the backfield on some LBs.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has yet to be cleared to run. Dont expect to see Cobb back anytime soon

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You bring up a good idea.
The NFL should reward players for doing it right.
They could offer to give year end bonuses divided up from the fines collected to all the defensive players that didn't get any fines. They can afford to do that.
A 15 yard penalty after a dirty hit is meaningless if the defense manages to stop the team from scoring or winning.

I blame the NFL for guys going low. Maybe if guys keep getting their kness blown out they will revisit some thing's...it's sad but players are going to suffer either way. It's either get fined for going high? or feel terrible for breaking a guys leg or blowing out his knee.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cringe EVERY TIME I see ANY receiver, TE, running these seem routes now with a safety lurking behind.... coming up.... they can launch low into the knee whenever they want if they want, and break knees.

Blame Goodell. He wants fines for anything that even LOOKS like a helmet hit. Defenders have no choice but to go low of you want to avoid a big fine. In the case of Gronktard, he wasn't hit in the knees. He was hit in the upper thigh area. His cleats got caught in the mesh of the Field Turf they have and that caused the injury. On good old Kentucky Bluegrass that injury probably doesn't happen.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
They are getting healthier but how quickly is the question for Rodgers. And after him, Cobb. Also here’s a list of the 12 players on IR who we hope are getting healthier but to avail for this season: OT Bryan Bulaga, CB Casey Hayward, TE Jermichael Finley, RB Johnathan Franklin, RB DuJuan Harris, LB Robert Francois, LB Sam Barrington, WR Sederrik Cunningham, WR Kevin Dorsey, CB James Nixon, G/C Greg Van Roten, and QB Seneca Wallace. And JC Tretter is on the PUP list and unlikely to play this season.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are getting healthier but how quickly is the question for Rodgers. And after him, Cobb. Also here’s a list of the 12 players on IR who we hope are getting healthier but to avail for this season: OT Bryan Bulaga, CB Casey Hayward, TE Jermichael Finley, RB Johnathan Franklin, RB DuJuan Harris, LB Robert Francois, LB Sam Barrington, WR Sederrik Cunningham, WR Kevin Dorsey, CB James Nixon, G/C Greg Van Roten, and QB Seneca Wallace. And JC Tretter is on the PUP list and unlikely to play this season.

Wow i completely forgot about Harris! I guess that's the lighting when he comes back next yr? he won't take the job from Lacey but maybe he can return kicks? and that's a good combo.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow i completely forgot about Harris! I guess that's the lighting when he comes back next yr? he won't take the job from Lacey but maybe he can return kicks? and that's a good combo.
His value is as a third down back. He's not big but he knows how to pick up blitzes.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I blame the NFL for guys going low. Maybe if guys keep getting their kness blown out they will revisit some thing's...it's sad but players are going to suffer either way. It's either get fined for going high? or feel terrible for breaking a guys leg or blowing out his knee.
It's a rough sport for sure.
And for many players they continue to suffer with the reminders of the pain on the field every day after they retire.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/fe...etired-nfl-players-endure-a-lifetime-of-hurt/

A Washington Post survey of retired NFL players found that nearly nine in 10 report suffering from aches and pains on a daily basis, and they overwhelmingly – 91 percent – connect nearly all their pains to football.

“I hurt like hell every morning when I wake up,” says former linebacker Darryl Talley, 52.

“I can’t run anymore,” says former offensive lineman Pete Kendall, 39. “I can’t play basketball with my kids, can’t walk for any extended distance.”

“I’m 40 years old going on 65,” says Roman Oben, another ex-lineman. “God knows what I’ll feel like when I’m actually 65 years old.”

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And for many players they continue to suffer with the reminders of the pain on the field every day after they retire.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/fe...etired-nfl-players-endure-a-lifetime-of-hurt/

A Washington Post survey of retired NFL players found that nearly nine in 10 report suffering from aches and pains on a daily basis, and they overwhelmingly – 91 percent – connect nearly all their pains to football.

“I hurt like hell every morning when I wake up,” says former linebacker Darryl Talley, 52.

“I can’t run anymore,” says former offensive lineman Pete Kendall, 39. “I can’t play basketball with my kids, can’t walk for any extended distance.”

“I’m 40 years old going on 65,” says Roman Oben, another ex-lineman. “God knows what I’ll feel like when I’m actually 65 years old.”
There is a cost. Wonder if these guys could do it over again they would be garbage men/janitors. I doubt it.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So sad smh. It's definitely a violent sport.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a cost. Wonder if these guys could do it over again they would be garbage men/janitors. I doubt it.
And the funny thing is that the majority have a college degree.
And the only reason for the attending college is so they can play football and hope to get drafted into the NFL.
Go to college.
Earn a degree that may go towards a non-violent career.
End up playing and getting hurt.

I dunno if you clicked and read any more.
There is this part which I think proves your point.

The results also present a striking paradox: Nine in 10 said they’re happy they played the sport. But fewer than half would recommend children play it today.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So sad smh. It's definitely a violent sport.
I can never be a fan of boxing because of the brutality. Those guys are meaning to hurt each other which doesn't make it any fun for me.
Football is just so darn fun to watch, I can't stop being a fan despite the brutality of it even though they do mean to hurt each other sometimes.
But being blissful of that helps.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can never be a fan of boxing because of the brutality. Those guys are meaning to hurt each other which doesn't make it any fun for me.
Football is just so darn fun to watch, I can't stop being a fan despite the brutality of it even though they do mean to hurt each other sometimes.
But being blissful of that helps.

I take it you didn't watch the UFC on FS1 Friday? Now THAT was brutality, it made boxing look like knitting with your grandmother. What a fight!

But seriously, I read somewhere recently that Cobb may be shutting it down for the year. Don't quote me, I'll try to dig up the source (I believe it was a usually reliable Twitter source), but it said he was working out but still wasn't able to run.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb has been a huge missing piece on offense, particularly for the backup QBs - he would have made for a great safety valve for them on intermediate routes. This is the first week he's eligible to come off of IR/Designated for Return so my guess is we'll find out about him on Wednesday (whether he practices or not). Last I read anything about him was about three weeks ago and he was evasive about his injury. He and McCarthy both just said, 'he's getting better'.
McCarthy said today that he's been doing a lot more over the past week and is feeling good. Sounds like he might be back by the Bears game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I led a rugged life with amateur hockey and alot of outdoor work in the mountains. I have no doubt that football takes a bigger toll, but then again I did it year round for a bunch of years. I pay for it now - I installed wood floors in my house over the weekend, I have a tough time walking today.

if I could have played in the NFL would I be willing to feel like this every day? hell yeah! I could have played too, if only I wasn't so slow, small, unathletic, and ensitive to pain.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blame Goodell. He wants fines for anything that even LOOKS like a helmet hit. Defenders have no choice but to go low of you want to avoid a big fine.
I do blame Goodell.
But defenders DO have a choice.
These seem routes are a staple in the NFL, usually the fast TE run past the ILB if possible.
Whether it's Gronk, Vernon Davis, Jimmy Graham, or Jermichael Finley. And sometimes WR's run them.

When they get past their CB or LB, they know there could be a safety back there coming up to kill them.

Those shots used to be to the upper areas, chest, or head shots.
Lawsuits have prompted the NFL to do ALL and more to stop them.
We all agree they go overboard sometimes with flags.

But now you have a few guys who dive into the knee when they have the free kill shots.
Most do NOT.

But there are a few guys, and they are usually the young safeties, who DO this.

The safeties DO have a choice to go low or go mid.

But yes I do blame Goodell and I really want to see, fast, a class-action lawsuit from current players, like Randall Cobb, and Dustin Keller and now Gronk, who have had safeties TARGET them low there for fear of being fined or flagged.

Look, the game is violent we know that.
But there are many rules put in place to try and make it a little safer.
From facemask penalties to chop blocks, to horse collars, which is new within the past decade. Spearing.

They need to do something, fast, and serious, to force DBs to keep their heads up when they tackle.
I'm waiting for these guys to get paralyzed when they keep ducking their heads so their helmets lead down there.

Why wasn't Matt Elam or DJ Swearinger or TJ Ward injured in their necks, but Nick Collins was?
That is the biggest bull**** I have ever seen.

#1- Yes, the NFL is to blame. Their ridiculous rules against hits up high on defenseless receivers has caused some -SOME- DB's to go low into the knee area, tucking their heads down and launching into the knees.
The only reason the NFL has put these teeth into the rules is because of $$$$ with the concussion lawsuits. They haven't done this out of the -all of a sudden- goodness of their hearts. It's to protect their money. This non-profit corporation.

#2- Most guys still don't take these opportunities to rip ACLs and tibias, but more and more young punks do, like your Matt Elams and DJ Swearingers, among many others.
I saw on Thanksgiving, safety Charles Woodson of the Raiders had an identical free shot on a blind, defenseless Cowboy receiver up the seem, and Woodson kept his head UP, and simple tackled the guy as soon as the ball arrived.
He easily could have dived at the knee and ended that guy's play, game, season, and perhaps career.

I hate the Patriots. But I hate seeing anyone, especially a special star, lose their skills from a cheap shot. Yes I say cheap.
No, not within the rules.
But that hit is cheap because it does cause serious injuries.

Look, it's football, guys are gonna get hurt.
But there are techniques, horse-collars, spearing, these, that DO cause more serious injuries and they need to be legislated out as much as possible.
NOT to avoid lawsuits, but to actually prevent these skilled guys from losing their skills, careers, seasons.

The number one rule for "tacklers" has to be KEEPYOUR****INGHEADUP.
Stop tucking the head and coming in with the helmet.
Stay on your feet, stop launching low.

I grew up watching guys like Ronnie Lott, Dennis Smith, Lawrence Taylor... nobody used to "tackle" by closing their eyes, lowering their head, and launching their helmets/shoulderpads into players knee areas.

All 3 of these examples I just grabbed from this season, the receivers had just caught the ball and were turning around as they were coming down, stepping.

The safeties had FREE shots on them.
They DID have a choice of where to go, and they all went cheap.
They know they won't get flagged or fined for these, and yes that is on the NFL league office.

The receivers and TE's should have some say on which they would prefer to be penalized.
I bet 100% of receivers/TEs would rather the D gets fined for the hit LOW on their defenseless selves as opposed to high.

Still, as you can see in these photos, the safeties all had chances to drill the guys in the mid-section, the chest, waist, back. It was a conscientious effort to target the weaker knee area.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I grew up watching guys like Ronnie Lott, Dennis Smith, Lawrence Taylor... nobody used to "tackle" by closing their eyes, lowering their head, and launching their helmets/shoulderpads into players knee areas.
Nobody went for Gronktard's knees. He went for the upper thigh area. Sometimes, **** happens. Like I said, on real grass his injury probably doesn't happen.

DBs have always had a tendency to take the legs out from under 260 pound TEs. Its that or get run over by a freight train. That includes Ronnie Lott. I just watched a highlight video of his and there were plenty of hits where he lowered his head and others where he went for the legs.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody went for Gronktard's knees. He went for the upper thigh area.
I think the picture lies then...... see above.
Gronk is 6'7".... he's not Darren Sproles.

TJ Ward went way too low.
Look at that picture.

And natural grass doesn't prevent ACL injuries.
Ask Robert Brooks, Al Harris, Aaron Kampman. All 3 of those guys tore their ACLs on non-contact injuries.

Better traction does sometimes lead to the foot sticking instead of slipping.

Yeah this is football and it's violent.
But it is irresponsible, lazy, and ignorant to not try and eliminate as many serious injuries as possible.
If not, then we would be allowed to spear, to facemask, to clothesline, to horse-collar, to drill guys in the head.

You know what, most of ^ those methods USED TO be LEGAL.
Now they are not.
Why are they not?
Injuries.

Hits like these have caused more ACL injuries this year then last year and the year before.
Probably about 20% of the torn ACLs are from cheap hits.

And here's how you know they are dirty: Sure, they are within the (current) rules. But 10 years ago Roy Williams od Dallas used to tackle everyone by the horse-collar.
Then he got flagged after guys got injured, including Terrell Owens breaking his foot on a horse collar from Williams.

If you had 22 sons, and you taught them the game, 11 of them playing offense, 11 defense. These are your kids you love.
You would teach them to TACKLE, not dive into knees like this.
Respect the game, respect the knees.

Members online

Latest posts