Are the Vikings cursed?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Key positions are getting old and injured. Obviously not the whole team there Einstein, you draft new guys just like everyone else. Your QB is 40. Guys like Pat Williams come to mind. McKinnie and Hutchinson too. How about Winfield? Add in Henderson just because of the horrific injury. Your purple helmet boys have a LOT of their key guys that they are going to replace soon. Tauscher and Clifton? Sure, but they are barely serviceable now as it is. We are not talking about replacing guys who are at the top of the heap at their positions. Right now, on our roster I only see one guy that is an excellent player who is getting up there and that is Woodson.

Green Bay has one of the best young cores in the league. Piece one is the QB. We have a guy who has 10 years of great football ahead of him. You have favre (or maybe you don't) and then you got nothing. That is the single biggest piece of any football team. We have Jennings and Finley - you have Rice and Harvin. Pretty much a wash there. You have Peterson - who is being WASTED in the favre experiment. The shelf life of RBs is always one of the shortest. We'll see how that plays out. We have Grant who isn't the player Peterson is, but it would also take Grant about 3 seasons to cough the ball up as many times as AD did in the NFCC game too. You have Loadholdt, we have Sitton so each has one solid young OLman. On D, I don't see a Clay Matthews anywhere on your roster. Greenway is a good player but Matthews was better than Greenway was this year and he was a rookie. We'll see what happens with Raji. And for young DBs I'd take Collins over anything you have in a heartbeat.

So, when it comes to YOUNG talent, I like GB's better. The fact that we have a young star QB and you don't obviously puts the queens at a big disadvantage. I think that IF favre comes back for you, the two teams will be fighting tooth and nail for the division and probably conference next year. If he doesn't your boys will be sucking our tail pipe next year and probably for years to come.

It is my opinion - and only that. That is why they play the games.
Key guys to replace? Let's look at the Packers key players they are going to have to replace. Clifton, Tauscher, Pickett, Harris, Woodson, Driver. Heck, you may have to replace 3 of them this year. Who's going to back up Raji? Harrell?(maybe if he can stay off IR) Who are the great young players that are going to take Tauscher's and Clifton place? Coolledge and Giacomini? That worked out so well the first few games. Speaking of the short life of RB, Grant is 3 years older than Petterson. If he has 2 good years left in him you will be lucky.

Greenway and Matthews play in a different style of D so they will be expected to do different things. Greenway may not have 10 sacks but he did have 99 tackles and 3 ints. Matthews is being used more as a DE then a true LB. But keep thinking that MN is falling behind in key players.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Key guys to replace? Let's look at the Packers key players they are going to have to replace. Clifton, Tauscher, Pickett, Harris, Woodson, Driver. Heck, you may have to replace 3 of them this year. Who's going to back up Raji? Harrell?(maybe if he can stay off IR) Who are the great young players that are going to take Tauscher's and Clifton place? Coolledge and Giacomini? That worked out so well the first few games. Speaking of the short life of RB, Grant is 3 years older than Petterson. If he has 2 good years left in him you will be lucky.

Greenway and Matthews play in a different style of D so they will be expected to do different things. Greenway may not have 10 sacks but he did have 99 tackles and 3 ints. Matthews is being used more as a DE then a true LB. But keep thinking that MN is falling behind in key players.

All I know is that purple is a really faggy color. Who's the Super Bowl trophy named after? What franchise has the most NFL championships? Even the Lions have a few of those. People talk about the most pathetic franchises in all of sports....you know, the LA Clippers, the Cubs, the Saints. I think the Vikings have to be in that discussion. I mean, they've never WON anything. Haven't been to a Super Bowl since 1976. At least the Cubs won a world series (albeit 100 years ago), and the Saints made the Super Bowl this season, so clearly it goes 1)LA Clippers 2) Vikings.....but at least the Clippers main color isn't Purple.....switch those two around. :viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux:

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They're not.

They're, however, far behind in the most important position of all.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
All I know is that purple is a really faggy color. Who's the Super Bowl trophy named after? What franchise has the most NFL championships? Even the Lions have a few of those. People talk about the most pathetic franchises in all of sports....you know, the LA Clippers, the Cubs, the Saints. I think the Vikings have to be in that discussion. I mean, they've never WON anything. Haven't been to a Super Bowl since 1976. At least the Cubs won a world series (albeit 100 years ago), and the Saints made the Super Bowl this season, so clearly it goes 1)LA Clippers 2) Vikings.....but at least the Clippers main color isn't Purple.....switch those two around. :viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux:
Typical Packer fan response. Don't discuss. Just throw out the "Your team hasn't won anything" and Purple is "Faggy" color.

(FWIW, and I know it won't mean crap to you, but Purple is the color of Royalty and Nobility. It's also the color of medal given to US servicemen wounded in battle. So, why don't you walk up to a Marine and tell him is "Purple Heart" is a "Faggy" color.)

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Typical Packer fan response. Don't discuss. Just throw out the "Your team hasn't won anything" and Purple is "Faggy" color.

(FWIW, and I know it won't mean crap to you, but Purple is the color of Royalty and Nobility. It's also the color of medal given to US servicemen wounded in battle. So, why don't you walk up to a Marine and tell him is "Purple Heart" is a "Faggy" color.)

The difference is I respect marines, and not the Minnesota Vikings. Our armed forces have WON military conflicts. Typical packer fan response....coming from the guy whose basically throwing the "my team is better than yours" argument my way. If you want to be like that then I pose the question to you again? When was the last time the Vikings accomplished anything? Talk **** to me when you win a super bowl. Until then, stick your tail back between your legs. Sorry fella. Its tough counting to 12, I know (number of NFL championships the packers have won)

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I mean Raptorman, lets get real. I can only assume that as a Viking fan, they only reason you would join a forum like this is to talk **** to Packer fans, so I don't think its out of order for me to throw it back to you. I just want to point out that the Lions have more championships than the Vikings!!!! Go Vikes! Whoo!!!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I mean Raptorman, lets get real. I can only assume that as a Viking fan, they only reason you would join a forum like this is to talk **** to Packer fans, so I don't think its out of order for me to throw it back to you. I just want to point out that the Lions have more championships than the Vikings!!!! Go Vikes! Whoo!!!
They you go making assumptions. I belong to 4 Packer boards and most anyone who knows me, knows I don't talk crap to Packer fans. I have my opinions like everyone else but I don't talk smack,(well sometimes just a little). I don't call any poster names, I don't call the Packers any of the well known names other Vikings fans. So if you are trying to get a rise out of me let me tell you this. There is nothing you can say to me that I have not heard already.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They you go making assumptions. I belong to 4 Packer boards and most anyone who knows me, knows I don't talk crap to Packer fans. I have my opinions like everyone else but I don't talk smack,(well sometimes just a little). I don't call any poster names, I don't call the Packers any of the well known names other Vikings fans. So if you are trying to get a rise out of me let me tell you this. There is nothing you can say to me that I have not heard already.
I can attest that. He's a senior poster in here, and his record is quite nice. There're some Bears fans in here that are like that, but after Jay Cutler, their savior, failed them, they were too hearthbroken to come in here. Philitration is a nice one, to name.

Look at me, saying that there're educated and nice Vikings and Bears fans. I'm gonna take my pills now...

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

I guess thats where you and I differ. I just can't understand why you would join a Packer forum for Packer fans....when you are not a Packer fan. I don't join forums for any other team because I don't care about other teams, or enjoy talking about them. Also for the record, I haven't called another poster a derogatory name. I think I said some bad things about the color purple though. :happy0005:

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Raptor -

Rodgers is probably the best young QB in the league. He's 26.

Matthews and Greenway play different styles sure, but Matthews was a STAR his first year. Was Greenway? It took Greenway over 2 years to stop stepping on his own ****. Driver? Um, okay... Why you think we drafted Jordy Nelson? We still have Jones. Those are two young guys already in place that could take up where Driver would leave off and Driver probably has 2-3 good years left in him. I don't count Harris because at 35 and coming off of an ACL if he comes back (and I expect he will) it will be a bonus. His replacement is Tramon Williams who is a pretty good ball player.

My point was that I think we have better young talent than the Vikes do. Not by miles but I do believe it is better and that is not considering the QB position. There we are set, there you are screwed.

It is a passing league and we have the most important component of that set for the next 10 years. You have **** - good luck. You may get lucky and draft one. Or you may pass on the next Aaron Rodgers for the next Troy Williamson.

Honestly, in the next 3 years it wouldn't surprise me to see Minnesota get passed by Detroit. But what would you care - by then they'll be playing in LA....

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I can attest that. He's a senior poster in here, and his record is quite nice. There're some Bears fans in here that are like that, but after Jay Cutler, their savior, failed them, they were too hearthbroken to come in here. Philitration is a nice one, to name.

Look at me, saying that there're educated and nice Vikings and Bears fans. I'm gonna take my pills now...

Fair enough.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Fair enough.
I'm with you. He may be a good guy and all but I just don't get why fans of rival teams join our boards.

It makes no sense to me whatsoever. You know you are going to get abused. Almost nobody is going to want to talk about your team - other than to tell you that they suck and to **** off.

Most boards I have been at always have a handful of Vike fans who post more about the Packers than the Vikes. Seems like an obsession to me. Hey, to each their own. I'd never waste my time at a Viking board, but hey, if hanging out with Packer fans is what completes them, then so be it.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I'm with you. He may be a good guy and all but I just don't get why fans of rival teams join our boards.

It makes no sense to me whatsoever. You know you are going to get abused. Almost nobody is going to want to talk about your team - other than to tell you that they suck and to **** off.

Most boards I have been at always have a handful of Vike fans who post more about the Packers than the Vikes. Seems like an obsession to me. Hey, to each their own. I'd never waste my time at a Viking board, but hey, if hanging out with Packer fans is what completes them, then so be it.

I like the way you think my friend.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Raptor -

Rodgers is probably the best young QB in the league. He's 26.

Matthews and Greenway play different styles sure, but Matthews was a STAR his first year. Was Greenway? It took Greenway over 2 years to stop stepping on his own ****. Driver? Um, okay... Why you think we drafted Jordy Nelson? We still have Jones. Those are two young guys already in place that could take up where Driver would leave off and Driver probably has 2-3 good years left in him. I don't count Harris because at 35 and coming off of an ACL if he comes back (and I expect he will) it will be a bonus. His replacement is Tramon Williams who is a pretty good ball player.

My point was that I think we have better young talent than the Vikes do. Not by miles but I do believe it is better and that is not considering the QB position. There we are set, there you are screwed.

It is a passing league and we have the most important component of that set for the next 10 years. You have **** - good luck. You may get lucky and draft one. Or you may pass on the next Aaron Rodgers for the next Troy Williamson.

Honestly, in the next 3 years it wouldn't surprise me to see Minnesota get passed by Detroit. But what would you care - by then they'll be playing in LA....
Greenway was not a "Star" his first year because he was in IR. His second year, where you say "over 2 years to stop stepping on his own ****." he had only 105 and 155 tackles(78 and 86 solo)5.5 sacks and 2 int. Not bad for a guy stepping on his **** coming off an ACL injury. I wonder what he will do when he tucks his **** in?

And Harvin is 21, not much star potential there, and Rice is 23, not much there either. I remember at the beginning of the year some Packers fans said it mattered not that the Vikings had Brett because he had no one to throw the ball to. Man they were right about that.

Very few players step in the the DB position and excel in their first few years in the NFL. MN has a few young guys who I think you will be hearing more of in the future, but that's just my opinion.

And as far as QB, remember one thing, his career can end in one play, who do you have to replace him if he goes down? Yeah, he looks like a future pro-bowler. At least T-Jack has started some games. And who knows, maybe he learned something from the old man.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Actually it make a lot of sense. I get a lot of good info from the Packer boards about my team. And I also get a different viewpoint then the "rah rah our team is great and everyone else sucks" BS. As for those that say my team sucks and **** off, well I just usually ignore them. And I know several Packer fans that regularly post on Vikings boards. As long as your civil and talk football everything works fine.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

I won't tell anyone!

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greenway was not a "Star" his first year because he was in IR. His second year, where you say "over 2 years to stop stepping on his own ****." he had only 105 and 155 tackles(78 and 86 solo)5.5 sacks and 2 int. Not bad for a guy stepping on his **** coming off an ACL injury. I wonder what he will do when he tucks his **** in?

And Harvin is 21, not much star potential there, and Rice is 23, not much there either. I remember at the beginning of the year some Packers fans said it mattered not that the Vikings had Brett because he had no one to throw the ball to. Man they were right about that.

Very few players step in the the DB position and excel in their first few years in the NFL. MN has a few young guys who I think you will be hearing more of in the future, but that's just my opinion.

And as far as QB, remember one thing, his career can end in one play, who do you have to replace him if he goes down? Yeah, he looks like a future pro-bowler. At least T-Jack has started some games. And who knows, maybe he learned something from the old man.
1 good year and Rice have star potential? Harvin has some good games, a lot of GREAT KR return, and have star potential? Of course, we over here are aready talking about Finley being the best TE ever, so...

And your reply to the QB situation is that "his career can end in one play"?

Cmon man, your team has proven to be pretty solid, but it's not the 2000 Ravens. Without a great QB, your chances of winning the SB are pretty slim...

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

I watch the Vikes just about every week. I live in Vike country so they are on. Greenway went on IR his first year but had he not it wouln't have mattered - he sucked. In his second year he may have made some plays but he missed a LOT. He improved dramatically from year 2 to 3. Matthews was a star the second he stepped on the field. If you want to try to say he's in Clay's league as a player - be my guest. Matthews is a HOF type talent. Barring injury he's going to be the type of guy DC's game plan around - he's a flat out game changer. Greenway is a nice player, but not in Clay's class. It is my opinion, but I'd wager a lot that most football people would agree with me.

Sidney Rice had a very nice year. So did Harvin. Neither is any better than Jennings. Our WR also has 2 other really good young guys in Nelson and Jones. Harvin is still more of a punt returner than a WR. I am sure that will change over time but he hasn't proven to be a star at WR yet. I think that right now the two units are close at the top but our depth kills yours. So, keep on posting the sarcastic comments to me as though I was the guy who said your WR corps sucked (I didn't). I do think ours is still better top to bottom and I think, again, most football guys would agree.

And with respect to Rodgers... Good grief, you can use the potential injury argument with anybody. But get your head out of your *** - he is a CURRENT pro-bowler.

Throw2Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fan for over 40 years here, and I mean Packer fan, not Favre fan, not Starr fan, not Lofton fan, well maybe a little bit of a Lynn ****ey fan ('cause that guy could fire 'em, intercepted a lot - yes - but we weren't very competitive those days anyway).

When the Vikings are playing on TV and I happen to watch, I wear something purple. It seems to work, but only if I sit and watch the whole game, which is bad enough....but worth it if the Queens lose!

Try it.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Packer fan for over 40 years here, and I mean Packer fan, not Favre fan, not Starr fan, not Lofton fan, well maybe a little bit of a Lynn ****ey fan ('cause that guy could fire 'em, intercepted a lot - yes - but we weren't very competitive those days anyway).

When the Vikings are playing on TV and I happen to watch, I wear something purple. It seems to work, but only if I sit and watch the whole game, which is bad enough....but worth it if the Queens lose!

Try it.

Love Lynn ****ey. My favorite Packer QB of all time is a toss up between Majkowski and Randy Wright. Idolized the Majik Man when I was a kid.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I watch the Vikes just about every week. I live in Vike country so they are on. Greenway went on IR his first year but had he not it wouln't have mattered - he sucked. In his second year he may have made some plays but he missed a LOT. He improved dramatically from year 2 to 3. Matthews was a star the second he stepped on the field. If you want to try to say he's in Clay's league as a player - be my guest. Matthews is a HOF type talent. Barring injury he's going to be the type of guy DC's game plan around - he's a flat out game changer. Greenway is a nice player, but not in Clay's class. It is my opinion, but I'd wager a lot that most football people would agree with me.

Sidney Rice had a very nice year. So did Harvin. Neither is any better than Jennings. Our WR also has 2 other really good young guys in Nelson and Jones. Harvin is still more of a punt returner than a WR. I am sure that will change over time but he hasn't proven to be a star at WR yet. I think that right now the two units are close at the top but our depth kills yours. So, keep on posting the sarcastic comments to me as though I was the guy who said your WR corps sucked (I didn't). I do think ours is still better top to bottom and I think, again, most football guys would agree.

And with respect to Rodgers... Good grief, you can use the potential injury argument with anybody. But get your head out of your *** - he is a CURRENT pro-bowler.
I would like to know how you know Greenway sucked his first year. You claim to watch Viking games. If true you would know that Greenway tore his ACL in the first pre-season game of his rookie year. So how is it that he sucked in a year he didn't play? And in his second year, his first after his ACL injury, he has 105 tackles but you say he missed a lot and improved some. So I get this right, Greenway sucks with 105 tackles and 2 Int's his first year playing, but Matthews is "Star" his first year with 51 tackles and 10 sacks. OK, I got it.

Percy is a more of a punt returner then a WR? Interesting, since he caught 60 passes this year and returned 0 punts. Rice was another player that had to deal with injuries his first two years. BTW Rice was better then Jennings this year. Lets see what next year brings. This year was the first full year that he was healthy. I thought you said you watched the Vikings.

As to the Pro bowl, if enough QB's decide not to play Josh Freeman could be one this year. And the injury wasn't about Rodgers, it was about who was going to replace him if he went down. Next your going to tell me that Flynn has HOF potential and he may be a pro bowler next year.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I would like to know how you know Greenway sucked his first year. You claim to watch Viking games. If true you would know that Greenway tore his ACL in the first pre-season game of his rookie year. So how is it that he sucked in a year he didn't play? And in his second year, his first after his ACL injury, he has 105 tackles but you say he missed a lot and improved some. So I get this right, Greenway sucks with 105 tackles and 2 Int's his first year playing, but Matthews is "Star" his first year with 51 tackles and 10 sacks. OK, I got it.

Percy is a more of a punt returner then a WR? Interesting, since he caught 60 passes this year and returned 0 punts. Rice was another player that had to deal with injuries his first two years. BTW Rice was better then Jennings this year. Lets see what next year brings. This year was the first full year that he was healthy. I thought you said you watched the Vikings.

As to the Pro bowl, if enough QB's decide not to play Josh Freeman could be one this year. And the injury wasn't about Rodgers, it was about who was going to replace him if he went down. Next your going to tell me that Flynn has HOF potential and he may be a pro bowler next year.

Rodgers was one of the initial three pro bowl qb's to represent the NFC, along with Favre and Brees. Don't make ridiculous claims man. I won't either. Greenway is good. Harvin is electrifying, and Rice is a very good wide receiver. You don't know anything about football if you can't admit Rodgers isn't very good and deserves to be a pro-bowler. As far as injuries go....the guy missed a season because he had a broken leg. Obviously with how bad our offensive line was this year he proved that he is tough. He took A LOT of hits early this season.

As far as having a viable back up goes the Vikings are very lucky in that regard. They currently have three qb's with starting experience. Extremely rare. Its hard enough to find a good starting quarterback in this league. Almost all teams don't have a seasoned back up waiting in the wings. If you took the starting qb away from most teams, that would be a devastating blow.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
For example....if Rodgers were to suffer an injury which would put him out indefinitely (knock on wood) we would be absolutely screwed. Our season would be over.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Rodgers was one of the initial three pro bowl qb's to represent the NFC, along with Favre and Brees. Don't make ridiculous claims man. I won't either. Greenway is good. Harvin is electrifying, and Rice is a very good wide receiver. You don't know anything about football if you can't admit Rodgers isn't very good and deserves to be a pro-bowler. As far as injuries go....the guy missed a season because he had a broken leg. Obviously with how bad our offensive line was this year he proved that he is tough. He took A LOT of hits early this season.

As far as having a viable back up goes the Vikings are very lucky in that regard. They currently have three qb's with starting experience. Extremely rare. Its hard enough to find a good starting quarterback in this league. Almost all teams don't have a seasoned back up waiting in the wings. If you took the starting qb away from most teams, that would be a devastating blow.
First, I never said Rodgers was not good. I said if enough QB's decide not to play Josh Freeman could be pro bowler. And it's true. I also did not say Rodgers did not deserve to be there. I don't have the high respect for the pro-bowl these days as I did in the past. Years ago it really meant something and then they let the fans vote and it becomes a popularity contest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts