Anyone want to get back to discussing Packer football?

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahahaha nice try Z2C...can't have envy for an online toughguy but no problem nonethelesss.

I agree, let's talk Packer football. Are there going to be any guards available after TC cuts? I'm hearing Colledge and Spitz are struggling a bit in pass protection...that sucks because no QB is generally successful when the pressure comes from up the middle...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now boys.......don't you KNOW that THIS is what the "Prickle" wants to do??? Start trouble amongst the......uh.........(pardon the expression) "friends???" :wink:

Now.......i think it's WAY too early to count on, or count out anyone for the #2 position. It's up for grabs, and come the REAL training camp, it will work itself out. Thats what the preseason is for too! I'm NOT worried............yet!

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On WRs I pretty much agree with Pyledriver right down the line. I too am disappointed with Fergy - I'm still willing to put his problems down to the clothesline hit, but I guess this year will decide if he will ever recover.

Gardner ... hasn't attended OTAs much, for whatever reason. You'd think in his position, he'd move heaven and earth to give himself every chance.

Jennings - yeah, that would be great, but I suspect we are asking too much too soon

Boerighter - well, TT signed him: big receiver, which we understand is the preferred option round here now - ought to land up on the roster

(I thought Chatman stepped up last year ... :twocents: )

... but are any of them good enough to take the pressure off Driver, and give Brett an outlet?

I have a hunch Donald Lee will be busy this year! 8)

Chris

I wonder if "Eh" with a British accent is the original?? :shrug:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ChrisC said:
On WRs I pretty much agree with Pyledriver right down the line. I too am disappointed with Fergy - I'm still willing to put his problems down to the clothesline hit, but I guess this year will decide if he will ever recover.

Gardner ... hasn't attended OTAs much, for whatever reason. You'd think in his position, he'd move heaven and earth to give himself every chance.

Jennings - yeah, that would be great, but I suspect we are asking too much too soon

Boerighter - well, TT signed him: big receiver, which we understand is the preferred option round here now - ought to land up on the roster

(I thought Chatman stepped up last year ... :twocents: )

... but are any of them good enough to take the pressure off Driver, and give Brett an outlet?

I have a hunch Donald Lee will be busy this year! 8)

Chris

I wonder if "Eh" with a British accent is the original?? :shrug:

What about the years before the clothsline hit? What's the excuse?

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson has no excuse...he hasn't stepped up at all on offense. If only the Packers could cut his salary in half and make him a full-time special teams player...

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think both Fergy and Gardner will be gone by third week in camp! Just a hunch so, don't jump down my throat! Perhaps the solution will be the use of more TE's this season. We seem to have some talent there.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Ferguson has no excuse...he hasn't stepped up at all on offense. If only the Packers could cut his salary in half and make him a full-time special teams player...

100% agree. Although perhaps 1/3 since he misses almost that much time lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Fergy has all the tools in the world to be above average, it is his mental game that needs work..If I am not mistaken his rookie season he had a ton of trouble with the play book, was not the smartest tool in the shed so to speak.. His cap hit might be high, but TT did let Hunt go last year..I would be somewhat suprised to see Fergy on the final roster...

I think his mouth has got him in trouble to...Talks BIG game, but never does he back it up..

Pyle hit it pretty much on the head...AT THIS POINT, not to sure there will be any other wr brought in that might make any more of a difference..

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chibiabos said:
Think both Fergy and Gardner will be gone by third week in camp! Just a hunch so, don't jump down my throat! Perhaps the solution will be the use of more TE's this season. We seem to have some talent there.

One of them almost has to make it, and I expect whoever that is to start. If they both go we have virtually ZERO experience behind Driver. Gardner has more tools than Fergie in my opinion. People talk about the clothesline hit but I cannot ever remember watching a game before or after that took place and thinking "this guy is going to be great"

Gardner has been 1000 yard reciever in this league. If he could just commit himself he could be a very nice weapon.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
People talk about the clothesline hit but I cannot ever remember watching a game before or after that took place and thinking "this guy is going to be great"

Yeap. My dad said continuously when we drafted him that he was gonna be great. I kept saying not a chance we should have taken I think it was Chambers out of UW. I could be wrong on the guy, but I know it was UW guy that I really wanted.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what does everybody think should be/should have been done about the receiver situation?

Should TT have gone out and tried to sign some other receivers who were available instead of the ones he signed, or is there anybody out there that he can snatch up, or is it too late?

What happened to Lelie, did he re-sign with Denver?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
So what does everybody think should be/should have been done about the receiver situation?

Should TT have gone out and tried to sign some other receivers who were available instead of the ones he signed, or is there anybody out there that he can snatch up, or is it too late?

Well, here's my take and what irks me a little. The WR alone are not the problem. The O-line combined with the WR's is. You can make the passing game efficient with a veteran O-line and young recievers. For the most part this is how Brett has made guys like Schroeder and Bradford look good. It also works the other way, if you have veteran recievers with a young line the QB has more trust in the experience of the wr's to be where they are supposed to be. With young wr's Brett must take an extra second to almost "Double Check" if they are running the right route,etc. Though it's only a second, when you already have no time, that second is HUGE!

You can't rebuild those 2 positions at the same time, which is what we are trying to do. It takes a little forthought to prevent this. Lock up guys in contracts, plan for aging players to retire, etc. This to me looks like it was not done. It does make me think that the worst is yet to come.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
TomAllen said:

Well, here's my take and what irks me a little. The WR alone are not the problem. The O-line combined with the WR's is. You can make the passing game efficient with a veteran O-line and young recievers. For the most part this is how Brett has made guys like Schroeder and Bradford look good. It also works the other way, if you have veteran recievers with a young line the QB has more trust in the experience of the wr's to be where they are supposed to be. With young wr's Brett must take an extra second to almost "Double Check" if they are running the right route,etc. Though it's only a second, when you already have no time, that second is HUGE!

You can't rebuild those 2 positions at the same time, which is what we are trying to do. It takes a little forthought to prevent this. Lock up guys in contracts, plan for aging players to retire, etc. This to me looks like it was not done. It does make me think that the worst is yet to come.

This was a beautiful post.

I for one could give two sh^ts about who is the number 2,3, or 4 receiver. I know who is the number 1 because he has been that since Freeman got fat. All I want from those other guys, whomever they will be, is for them to run the right routes and catch the ball that hits them on the hands.

I think we have adequate talent at wide receiver. We had great talent, but now that is gone. The year after Sterling retired I thought we were screwed. What happened was Favre spread the ball around and didn't need "great receivers" because everyone was doing their job. I defer to you Pyle cause you are great at stats and players, but I don't remember having a stellar O-line in those days. We had a stud defense instead.

I think what will happen this season is a less verticle game like Sherman/Rossley used, and more of a traditional West coast short passing game. If I am right with this, than I expect Ferguson, Gardner, and Boe to be 2,3, & 4 because they are bigger receivers and I assume better blockers. Rogers and Jennings are going to be returning kicks and paying their dues on special teams. I hope I'm wrong with this and these young guys show enough to supplant the veterans, but I'm not betting on it.

Now on the other subject, who or what is the pickle? Someone please email me. I've spent the last week keeping up with the Bucks and the mess they have at center, trying to get a good power forward. Peace boys and Packer girl, remember at the end of the day we are all still Packer fans.

Oh, and Pyledriver, we have to get into this O-line discussion much deeper during training camp. You have me much more concerned than I was previously.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
pyledriver80 said:
TomAllen said:

This was a beautiful post.

I for one could give two sh^ts about who is the number 2,3, or 4 receiver. I know who is the number 1 because he has been that since Freeman got fat. All I want from those other guys, whomever they will be, is for them to run the right routes and catch the ball that hits them on the hands.

I think we have adequate talent at wide receiver. We had great talent, but now that is gone. The year after Sterling retired I thought we were screwed. What happened was Favre spread the ball around and didn't need "great receivers" because everyone was doing their job. I defer to you Pyle cause you are great at stats and players, but I don't remember having a stellar O-line in those days. We had a stud defense instead.

I think what will happen this season is a less verticle game like Sherman/Rossley used, and more of a traditional West coast short passing game. If I am right with this, than I expect Ferguson, Gardner, and Boe to be 2,3, & 4 because they are bigger receivers and I assume better blockers. Rogers and Jennings are going to be returning kicks and paying their dues on special teams. I hope I'm wrong with this and these young guys show enough to supplant the veterans, but I'm not betting on it.

Now on the other subject, who or what is the pickle? Someone please email me. I've spent the last week keeping up with the Bucks and the mess they have at center, trying to get a good power forward. Peace boys and Packer girl, remember at the end of the day we are all still Packer fans.

Oh, and Pyledriver, we have to get into this O-line discussion much deeper during training camp. You have me much more concerned than I was previously.

hey dakota - was wonderin where you'd got to!!??!! glad to have you back, buddy! :)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have serviceable WRs....and MM has stated that the TEs will be a much bigger part of the offense. We have some decent talent at TE...Bubba is a model of consistency who I believe has more to offer than has ever been asked; Lee is an exciting player with stretch the field ability...I look for significant improvement in his game and for him to make a difference this year; Alcorn is a guy I like...a small school, tough guy TE with incredible hands and a high ceiling for growth; Martin, I believe, will be the odd man out. The guy is an incredible tease, but is always nursing something that holds his game back..Tyrone Davis anyone?

I think TT cuts Martin because he is filling the roster with football players...Alcorn looks like a football player, Martin looks like an athlete that dabbles in the game...plus, what good is he when he spends half the season on the bench/underperforming nicked up. Martin is clearly not a TT kind of guy.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dakota asked:"Now on the other subject, who or what is the pickle?"

I think "what" is more fitting! :wink: It is a Bears fan, who crawled out from some pickle jar (i hope they catch the idiot that left the lid off the jar!) He/she has been littering (a fitting word, since every thread he/she makes is total garbage) this site with lame posts, TRYING to be witty. He/she thinks he/she is better then everyone else. I don't know.......i myself would NOT be so rude as to go to someone else's site and belittle the people on their, and come across as a know it all who thinks their excrement doesn't stink. Thats JUST plain rude and shows NO class. Now you have been filled in.
(Note to Philtration: Can you TRY to teach that guy/gal some class? I know.....it might be too much to ask of anyone!)
Now........back to the regularly scheduled thread:
I think the Packer WR's will be OK. If ONE steps up to take some pressure off Driver, they could be awesome. I wish that kid last year (Murphy) wouldn't have got hurt. I think he had lots of promise. But IF they DO get the TE's more involved, that could be HUGE too! Open up all the offensive weapons, and keep the "D" guessing!

OP
OP
NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the only way our WR's will come through big-time this year is if the offense allows the ball to be spread around more in between the 20's. Running backs, fullbacks, and tight ends will all have to be more involved as to open up the field and allow our WR's to take their shots and make plays...

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

My belief too. That's why I think Favre shouldn't have come back this year, at least to the Packers.

I think TT did him a disservice this year.

I hope Favre proves me wrong!

Members online

Latest posts