Anyone know any history of this?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if that came off in a negative way, I meant no harm by it.

It is a very interesting piece of Packer and NFL history just reading the little I did about it. Thanks for sharing.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
In good condition, I would say it is worth couple hundred bucks. As to the game, they use to pit top NFL teams against college all stars for raising money for the Knights of Columbus. I believe this was the only game in which Red Grange played for the Packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.october09.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=14518

Commencing in 1931, we believe, the Knights of Columbus annually sponsored charity football games pitting choice NFL teams against selected college All-Stars, principally from West Coast schools. (To "level the playing field," so to speak, these college all-stars rosters included a few professionals.)

These were January events traditionally held in San Francisco's Kezar Stadium. Uniformly dimensioned 7-3/4" x 10-3/4", the stadium-issued programs sport fashionably abstract gridiron tableaux. We offer this 1933 program: Ernie Nevers' Pacific Coast All-Americans vs. Green Bay Packers.

This star-studded exhibition marked the only game in which Red Grange played for the Packers, a "guest" appearance, if you will. The (VG-EX) 16-page guide is completely intact and flaunts black-and-white full-page images of Nevers and Grange. There are penciled notations on the front cover.

This was the ONLY game that Red Grange ever played for Green Bay Packers, making this piece quite rare and a must have for any true Packers fan.

http://www.october09.hugginsandscott.com/pl/14518_program.jpg

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was actually wondering if anyone had any personal insight that wasn't on google. And yes I was wondering if it was the only game red played with the pack.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer in 19 30's and early 1940's often played Football exhibition games in California and even in Hawaii after the NFL season ended to make extra money. If fact, Curly's 2nd and 3rd Wife's were from California. Curly lived part time in California, usually after NFL Season ended

Green Bay Packer fans often said of Curly that he "went California" on Packer fans. In fact two of his three wives were frm California. One wife was a former Miss California contest winner .

It wasn' t until 1946 that California would have a NFL team. That was when the Cleveland Rams moved to LA in 1946 and became LA Rams .

In 1949, California got it's second team. The NFL merged with the All America Football Conference (AAFC) with the NFL. The San Francisco 49ers of AAFC joined the NFL. The 49ers first season iu NFL was 1950.

Members online

Latest posts